• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compdude787

Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

rivit

Will catch that Willy - I had put that colour on a long time back to mark how much was actually used in the UV mapping on the originals for some experiments I tried. I've already done the pieces you mentioned earlier for the diagonal bridges and I'll track back for this (sorry) - as you say not difficult.

BTW have you settled the configurations and IIDs of the SAM crossings you will include. An example set or picture list for say SAM2 would be extremely useful as I've 5 SAMS of my own to adjust. Also if there are any new ones for normal streets. Do you need any production texture work for the official ones?

Given the progress you've made recently, in the new RUM for RRW I will be removing content that concerns all crossings not of my texture sets, all previous pathing fixes and texture fixes. That leaves my under textures, crossings, viaduct textures, bridge textures, FLUPS and interim Catenary T21s. Does that gel with your expectations of NAM35 content?

I also have defined 4 new bridges that need to be included in various RUL and INI files so cannot include those in my mod...

cheers Ron

Swordmaster

Quote from: Andreas on January 31, 2016, 11:32:13 AMGetting draggable viaducts is another feature that was long overdue, and thus the latest development is very exciting alright! I take the viaduct ramp will be kept as "legacy" item, but it won't be included in the draggable RRW approach due to the nature of realistic railways? Granted, main lines usually don't have slopes larger than 2-4%, with the occasional 8% in some mountainous regions; that actually means a realistic transition could be about 10-12 tiles long, but obviously, that's still a bit impractical. For the sake of usuability in the game, I'd say the existing ramp isn't that bad, though. ;)

Hi Andreas, thanks for the endorsement!

We can talk about the gradients for ever, though. I don't think we should bother with what we're doing--any of us--if we're gonna keep placing the viaduct ramp. It may seem innocent to the untrained eye, but it's easily the most unrealistic thing that has ever been made for this game. Probably beats Maxis Highway with a factor of 872. All the RHW interchanges, wide curves, diagonal bridges, terrain mods, fantastic BATs and custom lots in the world can't save a city or picture that has this piece in it.

Quote from: Simmer2 on January 31, 2016, 05:55:14 PMAwesome :bnn: :bnn:
Lol at the Minions reference!

Minions? Had to google that. Please!

http://www.youtube.com/v/hlSbSKNk9f0

Quote from: rivit on January 31, 2016, 10:05:55 PM
Will catch that Willy - I had put that colour on a long time back to mark how much was actually used in the UV mapping on the originals for some experiments I tried. I've already done the pieces you mentioned earlier for the diagonal bridges and I'll track back for this (sorry) - as you say not difficult.

BTW have you settled the configurations and IIDs of the SAM crossings you will include. An example set or picture list for say SAM2 would be extremely useful as I've 5 SAMS of my own to adjust. Also if there are any new ones for normal streets. Do you need any production texture work for the official ones?

Given the progress you've made recently, in the new RUM for RRW I will be removing content that concerns all crossings not of my texture sets, all previous pathing fixes and texture fixes. That leaves my under textures, crossings, viaduct textures, bridge textures, FLUPS and interim Catenary T21s. Does that gel with your expectations of NAM35 content?

I also have defined 4 new bridges that need to be included in various RUL and INI files so cannot include those in my mod...

cheers Ron

Thanks Ron. Will get back to you in PM when I have a definite answer to all of those. I'm still working on the SAM sets.

Cheers
Willy

noahclem

Awesome work on these Willy  &apls  Exciting to see the STR start appearing!

Also neat to hear (and see) RUM integration coming along--I'm a big fan and consider the mod more or less mandatory at this point ;)

Quote from: art128 on January 31, 2016, 04:19:56 PM
Noahclem already started the WMP textures. In fact the few done were uploaded as an additional, optional file in mu Japanese Train Station pack on the LEX. I'd advise to talk to him about it and about taking over the development of them etc.

I have been working on various lot texture replacements here and there but am not sure the best way to release them. I don't really want to release them as their own set because it's not that big, other people have definitely been doing some of the same work independently, and it would be one more file for people to have to find to get stuff to work right. But not releasing it means it's mostly just sat on my computer when others could be using it. Back in September or October I sent Stephen all my files to incorporate in the NAM or in his own mod but I don't know if anything came of that. Anyway, I just checked the file, fixed it (I have a bad habit of using the wrong group ID with lot textures), and have one texture error to fix before I could just upload a quick link to it here in case someone would find them useful.

Andreas

@Willy: Well yeah, in terms of realism, the ramp ist just silly - no need to discuss that. ;) But after all, it's a game, and some things tend to be unrealistic alright, so I'm prepared to sacrifice that now and then for playability (although I think I never used that ramp so far in my cities...).

@Noah: For a better RRW lot texture coverage in the NAM, I guess the most used textures might be enough (sidings, a handful of switches etc.), it's probably not necessary to cover every single rail texture that has been made so far, but the most popular ones that are used on many rail lots will do the trick already. :)
Andreas

dyoungyn

Willy,

ABSOLUTELY LOVE your work.  One question:

With draggable capability with ERRW, then what about Neighbor Connections?  Part of the MAIN reason I have been so wishing for a connector piece that connects the Maxis Elevated Rail to ERRW is the Neighbor Connections.  If ERRW has such ability for neighbor connections, then the connector piece is not necessary. 

I personally love ERRW with viaducts as they show up on the region view as rail and finally, the slope is not as great as rail is. 

dyougyn

Themistokles

Love the STR! The work you do here is totally awesome. :bnn: :thumbsup: Will the new draggable viaducts, maybe, in the future, be overridable for STR? That would be just even more great! ;D

Quote from: dyoungyn on February 01, 2016, 09:50:41 AM
If ERRW has such ability for neighbor connections, then the connector piece is not necessary. 
I think it already has, actually. Already now, straight viaduct puzzle pieces can be placed on top of straight ground heavy rail neighbour connections. For diagonals, I think this can be achieved by using the RHW disconnector tool.

... and who speaks about minions, it's a Baloo reference of course! :P
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Simcoug

I believe this is the minions reference...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBekXg5LxSg

And it fits, because Willy, you are on FIRE   ()flamdev()

metarvo

Someone had better build a fire station next to that viaduct!  :D  Well, I've found myself increasingly using earth ramps as opposed to PP ramps for not only Rails but even networks like RHW-2 as of late, so I've already pretty much ceased using that Rail ramp.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

eggman121

I have been quite quiet in thread lately because of RL and to give my good friend Willy some airspace. I am so glad all of you are using the RRW and am pleased that this project is really kicking along.

So my good friends... Who wants to go down the FARR way!  :D

There will be more in this space.

Lets play a game. Who would like to guess what new angles are in this curve  ;D

-eggman121

compdude787

Hmmm, looks like we now have FA-4 and FA-2. Wow, awesome!!!
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

CasperVg

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 01, 2016, 07:05:54 AM
Quote from: Andreas on January 31, 2016, 11:32:13 AMGetting draggable viaducts is another feature that was long overdue, and thus the latest development is very exciting alright! I take the viaduct ramp will be kept as "legacy" item, but it won't be included in the draggable RRW approach due to the nature of realistic railways? Granted, main lines usually don't have slopes larger than 2-4%, with the occasional 8% in some mountainous regions; that actually means a realistic transition could be about 10-12 tiles long, but obviously, that's still a bit impractical. For the sake of usuability in the game, I'd say the existing ramp isn't that bad, though. ;)

Hi Andreas, thanks for the endorsement!

We can talk about the gradients for ever, though. I don't think we should bother with what we're doing--any of us--if we're gonna keep placing the viaduct ramp. It may seem innocent to the untrained eye, but it's easily the most unrealistic thing that has ever been made for this game. Probably beats Maxis Highway with a factor of 872. All the RHW interchanges, wide curves, diagonal bridges, terrain mods, fantastic BATs and custom lots in the world can't save a city or picture that has this piece in it.

It would be nice to at least retain the original viaduct ramp for compatibility. Perhaps remove it from all the puzzle piece tab rings, but don't remove the actual piece, so that it will keep working in existing cities?
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Gugu3

That's great!it's amazing to see all of this going on

Swordmaster

Good one Stephen :thumbsup:

Quote from: Themistokles on February 01, 2016, 10:22:53 AMWill the new draggable viaducts, maybe, in the future, be overridable for STR? That would be just even more great! ;D

STR viaducts require a completely new set of models, which is undoubtedly no problem for Arne, but I also have to find time to implement them and write the code for it. It's unlikely it will be released at the same time as the DTR version (for which there is also no definite time schedule yet).

Quote... and who speaks about minions, it's a Baloo reference of course! :P[/size]

That's possible as well, though Sinatra is still more likely :D

Quote from: CasperVg on February 04, 2016, 01:00:16 AMIt would be nice to at least retain the original viaduct ramp for compatibility. Perhaps remove it from all the puzzle piece tab rings, but don't remove the actual piece, so that it will keep working in existing cities?

Backwards compatibility remains a main cornerstone of NAM policy, so there's absolutely no talk of removing the old piece--there just won't be a draggable version. As for the tab ring, I don't think at this moment anything will be changed about it. There will be a new button for the draggables, but I'm gonna keep my hands off the old one until it becomes an actual necessity to change it.

Cheers
Willy

johnnybnjp

&aplsWow, so much going on here.  Great to see the draggable viaducts for rail.  I was wondering (and I think I saw that someone else may have asked as well) if there is a plan to make rail viaducts at Level 1 (7.5m).  This seems to be a more standard height in the US (Chicago, Philly, etc) for urban rails as well as commuter viaducts in suburban areas.  It would also allow for shorter slope transitions.  I know that this would probably be a massive amount of work, however.  I really do think that what you've done here is fantastic.  Keep up the great work!
Johnny

jdenm8

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 04, 2016, 07:37:34 AM
STR viaducts require a completely new set of models, which is undoubtedly no problem for Arne, but I also have to find time to implement them and write the code for it.

https://www.youtube.com/v/iTSIQPxAzfY

I'll have a look around on my PC and see if I still have the files.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Gugu3

Quote from: jdenm8 on February 04, 2016, 09:22:27 PM
Quote from: Swordmaster on February 04, 2016, 07:37:34 AM
STR viaducts require a completely new set of models, which is undoubtedly no problem for Arne, but I also have to find time to implement them and write the code for it.

https://www.youtube.com/v/iTSIQPxAzfY

I'll have a look around on my PC and see if I still have the files.

That would be amazing!jdenm8 are you back on track too??

jdenm8

Quote from: Gugu3 on February 05, 2016, 01:16:15 AM
That would be amazing!jdenm8 are you back on track too??

Nah. The STR Viaducts I have are remnants of the abandoned RAM Phase 2 dating from about 2009. What I have is very limited though, it's just Ortho, Diag, Curve and intersection models, a totally complete set of LHD paths (for what existed) and a mostly complete set of RHD paths. I think Superhands did up some more models, but he never uploaded them at the time from what I could see.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Swordmaster

Something for our SAM lovers. . .

Preparing for the STR crossings, I've first added a good bit of stability to that part of the SAM code.

Now for the STR overrides  :laugh:

Cheers
Willy

Themistokles

What can I say... RRW gets better by the day hour! &apls
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill