• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metarvo

Bravo!  :thumbsup:  This is the kind of project which symbiotically boosts both the SAM and the STR.  Some SAM-like (think dirt or gravel) railroad crossings IRL lend themselves to STR.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Swordmaster

Thanks folks. Love your support! :thumbsup:

Not much news from me, but if you've seen my latest MD update, you've seen this one:

I'm not entirely sure how to implement it in the NAM, if at all. At this point I'm considering applying the track texture only (the see-through idea comes from Noah, cheers mate :thumbsup:), and making the rusty truss texture something separate outside of the NAM. That's assuming there'd be any interest in it.

Cheers
Willy

Tyberius06

Is there any plan to 'invert' the R3-R2 compound DTR and/or STR turnout (now one track diagonal is getting two orto tracks, or vica - it depends on the direction. I'd like to get one orto track what is becoming two diagonal tracks in that turnout.)

Is that even possible?

Thanks!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Simcoug

noahclem

That beautiful bridge definitely deserves to see the light of day (yes I recognize a bit of hypocrisy in me saying that :D )

Was fun to go through the tuning process with you--couldn't have hoped for a better outcome  &apls

vester

Yes please.

One thing: Turn the diagonals. Specially at the end, the diagonal should go down and outwards, so the forces can be transferred to the supports.

Gugu3

vinlabsc3k

I concord with vester!! :thumbsup:
I can't wait for the release! &hlp
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

alvaro_mox

&apls Very good. Now I wait forward this with catenaries

CT14

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 07, 2016, 12:54:03 PM
Now, I've rewritten Part 1 of the STR crosslinks code; all orthogonal adjacencies should now be in good shape. Next up are the diagonals.

Meanwhile I've taken the chance to add the DxO SAM crossings. This code should form a good basis for the ERRW SAM overpasses.

Also some additions to the SAM stability while I was at it.

This looks great - I came by to check into the possibility of a fix for these frequently used crossings. Thank you!

gn_leugim

can't see why NAM team would not be interested in that bridge texture  :thumbsup:

threestooges

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 09, 2016, 04:29:10 PM
I'm not entirely sure how to implement it in the NAM, if at all.

As far as bridges go in the game, they're a bit of an odd duck when it comes to traffic modding like the NAM. The method of bridge laying is really it's own separate area and is hard-coded into the game if you want it to come up on the "bridge menu" as an option to drag. Effectively it would need to be made of overlapping pieces that the bridge rul file woud organize based on the given length of a bridge. At minimum you would just need a start/end piece (the game auto-rotates it), a piece for the pillar, and a repeat piece which would fill in everywhere else. Things like the suspension bridges effectively have a custom build for each possible length of a span built in to the rul file. Fairly simple once you know what you're looking at, but a royal pain in the butt to go through. The support truss could also, possibly, be used as a t21 exemplar for a quick and dirty approach.

Lastly, if you want to skip the whole bridge implementation, you could take it the way of old-school bridge supports and make the actual support truss a height-specific ploppable that could be repeated across the length of the bridge.

It's been years since I tinkered with any bridge design, but there are several discussions of it still on the boards here if you'd like any further info on it.

I like the model.
-Matt

vester

Reworked the model so the diagonals goes the right way:

Now I just need to get the models back into the dat-file.

So who did the original model of the bridge ?

mgb204

Quote from: vester on February 12, 2016, 02:21:21 PM
So who did the original model of the bridge ?

Nice improvement, honestly, I wouldn't have noticed that detail  ::).

Looks like one of the original DBE bridges to me, just with reworked tracks?

vester

Quote from: mgb204 on February 12, 2016, 02:37:14 PM
Looks like one of the original DBE bridges to me, just with reworked tracks?

DBE Bridge ? Sorry ?  ()what()

mgb204

Sorry, diagonal bridge enabler :)

Such pieces existed before now for making bridges like the modular puzzle piece viaducts.

Simcoug

Ok, I'm going to sound like a noobie noobie noob, (I haven't really played around with NAM 34 yet) but is this type of overpass available at the L1 (7.5m) height yet (ortho or diagonal)? 

For example, can we dig a road down 7.5m and create an rail overpass?  I want to make my own can opener bridge;)

Swordmaster

OOPS! I'd love for that to happen to our automata. ;D

So, just for you noobie Matt. . .

Yeah, L1 viaducts of course. What did you think? Not in the current NAM of course; probably not even in the following NAM. But definitely in the dev stage. . . I need to add hundreds (100s) of models, exemplars, paths for it to be in the game. Only for then to add the overrides of course, which counts up to a good many hour of work. But eventually, you'll get them. We might even add a ramp Waaaah, good jokes willy!! :laugh:

The issue I'm still contemplating is how to get the L1 models. I can easily use the L2 models and squash them in half--after which it only requires a texture stretched in height, if that makes sense to you. It's not ideal, but it's acceptable for the time being.

In the interest of trying to communicate more clearly ($%Grinno$%), draggable viaducts are still in the development stage and may not appear in the next NAM.

Cheers
Willy

Simcoug

:bnn:

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 12, 2016, 10:15:45 PM
The issue I'm still contemplating is how to get the L1 models. I can easily use the L2 models and squash them in half--after which it only requires a texture stretched in height, if that makes sense to you. It's not ideal, but it's acceptable for the time being.

Oh yeah, I think those (reusing L2 models) would work just fine!  No sense in reinventing the wheel, unless you are just itching for more work  ;D
Thanks for making my night!

Gugu3