• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z

I think that this is probably a better place for that type of question.  My main evidence is that now you're getting an answer. :)

What you describe does not seem to be the same thing we were discussing here.  It involves apparently random noise readings, which cannot be explained by the traffic simulator settings.  Such random readings have been experienced in other contexts (e.g., freight trip lengths), and I believe they remain unexplained to this day.

Nevertheless, I am going to be doing more extensive testing on Simulator Z regarding the "Customers/Traffic Noise Coefficient" property.  For the next release of the NAM, I should have that tuned as best as possible.

z

Quote from: nothelle on August 19, 2009, 02:46:49 AM
Z: Thanks for the update  ;D  After trying out the new Z Ultra, There was decrease in R$$$ demand from 300 to -3000

That's not surprising - the parameter that I changed increases CO demand essentially at the expense of R demand.  It's really a zero-sum situation.

QuoteLet me try to grow the city gradually using lower capacity NAM traffic plugin until it get to a size that I can try your new Z Ultra and report it back here.

This sounds like a good idea, but the standard Simulator Z (Low) should work much better than the standard NAM simulator.  If it doesn't, I need to fix Simulator Z.  Could you please try using Simulator Z (Low) and let me know what you find?

I've been doing some tests in the mean time, and I have to say, your situation is quite unusual.  Although I think we've correctly identified the problem in your case, it doesn't seem to occur anywhere else.  I'll continue looking into this issue.

EDIT: I noticed on the previous page that you mentioned using the super demand ordinance.  Are you still using it?  If so, please try the regular Z Ultra without it.

nothelle

Ok, after trying out several different plugins... standard, Better Pathfinding (BP), Perfect Pathfinding (PP), Z low, Z med, Z Ultra and your new Z Ultra Special..., here are the results:
1.  I gradually started with standard upgrading gradually to Z med as the traffic become congested.  Final population 2.2 mio and growth become flat after running it more than 10 years.
2.  CO$$$ desirability was fine using other plugins other than Z, it ranges anywhere from low 90s to 130s despite the heavy congestion surrounding the CO zones.
3.  I noticed after using Z, the CO$$$ desirability dropped significantly, similiar to my previous post here, some areas were better but I reckon the highest number was 117.  Only 10% of the CO zoning is above 100 in desirability, while others were mostly low 90s
4.  lower capacity Z plugins have better result and I think because it packs more traffic due to lower road capacity?  it was getting worse from Z high, most of the roads has lighter shade of blue and only highways are in red.
5.  What I noticed was that using Z low and Med the high-rise remained there for quite some time and after using Z high, they quickly turn into CS $$$ and CO $$ despite the high demand for CO $$$.

In doing the above experiments, I only used NAM and CAM and nothing else.  Now after getting quite bored with the stagnancy, I began experimenting with super demand ordinance, plopped some CO$$$ buildings and changed my mass transits system quite a bit by reducing subway stations and changing it with bus stops in hope to create more surface traffic around the CO zones:
1.  Super demand only increased demand across zoning
2.  I plopped quite a bit of high-job CO$$$ buildings and increased the population to 3.3 million
3.  Reduced # subway stations and built more bus stations in R and CO zoning to create some surface traffic from R to CO

In all these measures did not dramatically change the desirability, traffic was getting worse (again around highways only), avenue and streets were hardly congested.  But strange I think commute time was still acceptable (around 0.6 to 0.7) but more R buildings were abandoned due to commute time.  I ran this 120 years until I stopped it due to stagnancy.  It might be that I have too much subway stations but I'm afraid if I changed my entire mass transits then the traffic would reach a point where commute time would become a problem

I could give you my undeveloped city file if you want to take a look at it

I don't know if this has something to do with NAM, but after reacing 2 mio in population, suddenly all my hospitals and education facilities were over capacity.  I plopped 6 somy giant hospitals, 4 universities and 6 colleges along with more larger capacity high schools, 6 private schools with sliders and still not enough?

Thanks

mrgisa

Hi All,

I came across what I *suspect* is a bug in the glr/avenue piece.

Take a look at the picture below:

If I drive along the yellow line in UDI mode, the vehicle will disappear once it hits the pink x.  I've demolished and replaced the glr/avenue piece at that section to fix it but the problem still happens.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a known bug?  If so, it's not a big deal but I just wanted to mention it...

Gisa ^^

deathtopumpkins

Can you take another picture with DrawPaths on, please?
(with the extra cheats dll, type drawpaths in the cheat code window)
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Chrisim

@mrgisa
thanks for reporting this bug. Several older pieces had similar bugs, and we have already corrected some, but apparently not yet all ...

mrgisa

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 22, 2009, 07:51:27 AM
Can you take another picture with DrawPaths on, please?
(with the extra cheats dll, type drawpaths in the cheat code window)

I don't have that mod installed but I'm sure someone else could confirm it by constructing something similar.

Quote from: Chrisim on August 22, 2009, 08:23:22 AM
@mrgisa
thanks for reporting this bug. Several older pieces had similar bugs, and we have already corrected some, but apparently not yet all ...

My pleasure. :)

Gisa ^^

newsimaddict

Hi there,
I've just been reading through several areas and couldn't find a solution.

I have a us version of the game but converted it to play LHD, however my issue has been that the turning arrows for avenue intersections etc are still on the right? I read the nam readme before installing and followed the instructions but obviously I've done something wrong...is it as simple as the lhd mod not loading in the right order?

Many thanks in advance. nsa

Korot

Are you sure that you have selected the LHD option in the NAM installer?

Regards,
Korot

gardenwong

I would like to know that is it possible to add the orange & green arrow at the switches of FARR ()what()
俺がã,¬ãƒ³ãƒ€ãƒ ã wwwwww

Swamper77

The switch indicators are there, but are stacked on top of each other because the exit side of both branches of the switch are on the same side of the tile where the switch is.

Maxis' junction switch indicators are visible because there is a 90 degree difference between the entry and exit sides of the tile with the switch. Maxis only provided models for straight and 90 degree arrows for the switches, which are hard-coded into the EXE.

-Jan
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

electrovik

Hi!

I'm new to modding my SC4.

I really don't know if it's the best place to post this...

I applied the NAM and several other addons, but I have a little problem : everybody walks!

When using the query tool, I can see that every citizen is walking to get to work, even if it's at the other side of the map.  All the commute time is "short".  I can see that the industries use freight truck, but virtually no car is used in the town.

Does anyone know if a mod does that?  Or if it's a known bug?

I use the Z traffic simulator.

Thanks!

Tarkus

electrovik, welcome to SC4D!  To answer your question, it sounds to me like you mistakenly installed a "Park and Ride" version of Simulator Z, which requires cars to use parking lots in order to reach their destinations. 

I'd recommend re-installing the NAM and making sure you don't install one of the "Park and Ride" versions.

-Alex

electrovik

Oh!  That's right!

Thank you Tarkus!

I just find it weird to have this in a rural town...  but I shouldn't have checked the box in that case I guess...

Thanks again!

hemyc

So,
Is it possible to build tram bridges that look like tram bridges and not el. rail bridges?
Best to all from Novi Sad, Vojvodina
Nemus

io_bg

Quote from: hemyc on September 03, 2009, 01:52:40 AM
So,
Is it possible to build tram bridges that look like tram bridges and not el. rail bridges?
Best to all from Novi Sad, Vojvodina
Nemus
Yes, it is - just drag a normal el-rail bridge. In the window where are shown the available types of bridges there should be a GLR one as well. Hope this helps you! :)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

nothelle

Z.. I tried your nam Z Ultra Beta on my new city, and it increased desirability for CO$$$, unlike my previous one where it had no effect.  The green area in CO$$$ certainly increased by at least 10% after I used it and desirability for R$$ and R$$$ dropped around high traffic zone, but I certainly don't see it halting any growth for R$$ and R$$$, so I would say it works!   As for my previous map, I gave up on it since I couldn't get desirability increase using any of the Ultra version.  It works well up to Z med/high, but after using Ultra CO$$$ came back to 90s.  I would presume since I spread out my Commercial areas, traffic were dispersed to all direction hence it could not get high enough in a single area and limiting desirability for commercial. 

THanks and cheers

z

I'm really glad to hear that the new beta of Simulator Z works better for you!  The Beta 3 that you tried specifically has the adjustment for commercial desirability that I mentioned, but it also contains the changes introduced in Betas 1 and 2, which each improve the balancing of the traffic flow in a different way.  Apparently, all these changes put together did the trick for you.  That's very helpful for me to know, as it is additional confirmation that these were good changes to make.  All the changes contained in Beta 3 should be standard in the next NAM release.

Shadow Assassin

Just an enquiry: is there a setting within any of the simulators that govern when an I-Ag (farm) lot dilapidates? I've noticed that any I-Ag field will start blackening when the traffic along the road reaches approximately 300-500 cars/freight, the number isn't exact. Would this setting be controlled from the simulator or would it be controlled from within the lot's exemplar - I've noticed some fields seem to be more resistant to dilapidation than others.

It's probably tied into desirability, and if I can figure out where the game gets the information that trips the trigger switch in regards to dilapidation, then I can solve this problem.

I've heard that a solution may be found in the No Abandonment/Dilapidation mod, however I want to adjust only I-ag. This problem may not be entirely relevant to the NAM, however I have found that changing the simulator has had some effect on the dilapidation issue, which suggests that maybe it's not a single value but the combination of a number of different values across both the traffic and RCI sim.

Thoughts?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!