• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eugenelavery

That was indeed the issue.  Many thanks for your help Tarkus.

TheToader

Hello,

I just installed NAM for the first time, and when I load up Sim City, it crashes just after the animated sequence just before the region map shows up. Is there something I did wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Tarkus

TheToader, welcome to SC4D!  The NAM requires either SimCity 4 Deluxe or SimCity 4 with the Rush Hour Expansion.  Attempting to run it on just plain SimCity 4 without the expansion will cause the game to crash-to-desktop, as the files that handle traffic network placement have a completely different architecture.

-Alex

TheToader

I have Sim City Deluxe though. I also tried restarting the computer, but that didn't help. :(

EDIT: I tried uninstalling NAM and reinstalling it, and that didn't help. I also uninstalled it and tried just regular SC4, and it still doesn't work. Should I be uninstalling SC4 and trying all over again? Now that I think about it, the last time I played it had crashed/froze. If I have to reinstall it, is there a way to keep my region alive? (I looked into the files, but all I found were the regions that come pre-installed)

Moonraker0

TheToader, I'm pretty sure that if you uninstall/reinstall the game, the uninstaller will ask you if you want to delete your cities or not.  However, if it doesn't or if you just want to play it safe, they are in your (My) Documents folder, under the SimCity 4\Regions directory.

TheToader

^Thanks.

I tried uninstalling it and installing it again, and I get the same problem! I don't know of anything else to do! I even tried the Sim City update patch from their website, and that didn't help. Any other suggestions?

Tarkus

Do you happen to have any other mods or downloads installed in your Plugins at the moment?  There are a few mods out there that just don't work right and cause an instant CTD--willsim's Long Train Mod, for instance.

-Alex

TheToader

The only thing I've ever added is some subway/bus stops that are in the street (road tile) and I think the name of it was something like deadwood. That's all I've ever added to the game.  ()sad()

wck604

why does NAM make avenue intersections useless? when the intersection splits off in 2 or 3 directions its fine, but when it splits into 4 it becomes nothing but cosmetic and the traffic can't pass through it anymore...

seems like a pretty huge flaw to me. is this a way to force everyone to use roundabouts instead?

JoeST

Quote from: wck604 on February 26, 2011, 07:45:00 PM
why does NAM make avenue intersections useless? when the intersection splits off in 2 or 3 directions its fine, but when it splits into 4 it becomes nothing but cosmetic and the traffic can't pass through it anymore...

seems like a pretty huge flaw to me. is this a way to force everyone to use roundabouts instead?
as in an avenue cross intersection loses all its paths? ???
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

wck604

Quote from: JoeST on February 27, 2011, 04:48:59 AM
as in an avenue cross intersection loses all its paths? ???

yeah I guess that's what it is. Sorry if I don't know the correct terms I'm not really a modder. when I turn on the traffic congestion graph it shows nothing over the avenue intersections. They're not green, they're blank. No traffic can go through them so like I said, they're useless now.

Blue Lightning

It'll do that if you have the avenue turning lane plugin installed but possibly have the wrong driving hand side installed. Your rail networks won't work if that's the case, as well.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

TheToader

Quote from: Tarkus on February 26, 2011, 04:43:18 PM
Do you happen to have any other mods or downloads installed in your Plugins at the moment?  There are a few mods out there that just don't work right and cause an instant CTD--willsim's Long Train Mod, for instance.

-Alex

I finally figured out why the game kept crashing. The region somehow became corrupted. I took the region folder out and bam, it works.
Thanks for the help though! Now I'm gonna try NAM and hopefully it will work!

wck604

Quote from: Blue Lightning on February 27, 2011, 09:45:52 AM
It'll do that if you have the avenue turning lane plugin installed but possibly have the wrong driving hand side installed. Your rail networks won't work if that's the case, as well.

thanks for this. Turns out I've been playing the UK version for years without noticing it...

medit84truth

I started a city that has a river running through it. I have residential developement on both sides, but industrial developement is only on one of the sides. The residents on the opposite side of the river wouldn't cross the bridge to get to the jobs in the industrial sector, therefor "no job" zots would appear over my houses. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why this was happening so I re-constructed all the highway(s) and avenue(s) between the the zones. Still nothing. I wanted to see what would happen If I placed a bus station in each of the zones.  After doing so, some residents did use the bus to get to the other side, but now the same residents that wouldn't use their cars to get to the other side before I plopped the bus stations are now all of a sudden using their cars to get to the other side. When I run a traffic query on random houses in the nieghborhood, in each house the car commuters match the bus commuters ex. Car:25, bus:25. But, there is actually no bus usage because the commute arrow is solid green and goes directly to the industrial zone. When I bulldoze one of the bus stations, car commutes disappear and no job zots appear again. Can someone please explain this?

Also, I'm using the park and ride option of the NAM simulator, but no matter what parking structure or parking lot I use, the commuters walk home. I noticed there was never any road traffic being generated at peak times. A traffic query shows they're using the parking facilities in the morning to get to work, but don't return to their vehicles in the same parking lot in order to use them to get home.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Death50

Quote from: Jayster on February 03, 2011, 05:48:01 PM
I'm having quite a frustrating problem....  :angrymore: No matter where I click along the lower RHW-4, it will NOT change to MIS. I've clicked along this stretch quite a lot, like about 50 times and I've dragged the RHW through the area and it still won't change.

Hope someone can shed some light on my problem!  :thumbsup:

Jayster

EDIT Nevermind, I just did some more finagling to get it to work.

Is that my interchange you're trying form the RHW Interchange Guide? Just wondering  :P

Jayster

Yes it is, it's very nice.  :D I haven't built up the city to where they utilize all of it but it's very nice.

Jayster

*EDIT* So I figured that I would edit my post instead of posting again. I seem to have a small commute issue with my Sims.

My Sims refuse to use the exit to the right to get off and go under the highway. They insist on driving to the edge of the city and using the invisible loop to come back the other way. It's really perplexing. The edge of the city isn't that far away, maybe about 50 tiles at the most but it seems like it would be a heck of a lot easier to get off at the exit.

Jayster

jondor

I've noticed Sims liking to do that in my cities as well.  There are several factors involved:

1. The NC pieces are bidirectionally pathed so that a single piece covers both the entry and exit tiles.  This allows the sims to use the connection as a U-turn.

2. Because the override starters for the various networks are implemented as intersections, they generate congestion which makes the simulator see the route through them as slower than it should be.

3. It is also possible (just a theory that I haven't yet tested) that those same intersection tiles cause the simulator to use a lower speed value in the case of starters utilizing other road based networks.

Long story short: Interchanges and exits near the edge of a city tile can cause strange traffic patterns.

It's also worth noting that if sufficient traffic starts using the neighbor connection, the exit will eventually become the quicker path and traffic will start using it.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

GDO29Anagram

@Jayster: Did you try the DrawPaths cheat as well? I had a similar setup once, and found a tile of missing paths, which I speculate came from having a starter where the FlexFly is.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

H2Odk

I have a problem with RHW4 / El-rail over RHW / road over RHW, the RHW4 under the El-rail revert to RHW2 and can not be changed back.

This should illustrate the problem

I think I have tried all possible ways to make this.

This is what I wanted to make, but the center piece is rail only.. I thought it worked for El-rail too

Can that piece be changed to work for El-rail too or can a similar piece for El-rail be added to NAM?