• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdenm8

Ah, be careful... We've had some IIDs used by Choco for bridges that others have lifted (Xannepan's Paris bridges are a painful example, they render three unreleased RHW bridges completely unuseable). Just make sure that someone isn't using it before you nick one. Take one of Fukuda's placeholders, I highly doubt he'll make any more.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Kitsune

am I right in thinking just cutting and pasting will do? (with the proper modifications to make it heavy rail of course...). I really dont use el-rail at all... unless its el-rail over road.
~ NAM Team Member

jdenm8

I think that's all just commenting in there.
As far as I'm aware, what type of bridge it is is controlled by the Bridge Exemplar that every bridge has, though I'm not sure.

Kitsune

there a ton of fascinating bridge entries in the controller.... I just hope some of them will see the light of day someday.
~ NAM Team Member

Augmentationist

I am new to the Real Highways mod so I may be missing something, but I am not able to build functional connections to neighbor cities with this mod at all if I drag a starter piece out to the edge of the map and plop the neighbor connection puzzle pieces on top (on both sides). If I want to build a freeway connection to a neighbor I must use the Maxis freeways instead.

Here is what happens if I build RHW Connection and an avenue connection.

Here is what happens if I take away the avenue connection.

So am I missing something or what?

Tarkus

I just posted this on your similar thread at ST:

Another question that hasn't arisen yet:

Do RHW networks function in your game at all (that is, able to carry traffic as shown with the Traffic Query tool--not just cars and other automata driving down it)?  If not, you may have an incompatible traffic simulator plugin installed, such as the PEG-SPAM Traffic Mod's traffic simulator file, or hailman's Variable Route Buses plugin.

Additionally, make sure your RHW connects up properly on the neighboring city tile (e.g. there's actually something for the sims to commute to with it on the other side), and the neighbor connection in that neighboring city also has the appropriate Neighbor Connection pieces placed over top of it.

To check to ensure you've placed the Neighbor Connection pieces properly, install the Maxis Extra Cheats.dll file if you haven't already (it can be found here), go in-game, type Ctrl-X to bring up the "cheat box" and type in "DrawPaths".  There should be a green line and/or green arrows draped down the edge of your city tile where the neighbor connection is located.

-Alex

Augmentationist

Quote from: Tarkus on August 27, 2011, 12:50:49 AM
Do RHW networks function in your game at all (that is, able to carry traffic as shown with the Traffic Query tool--not just cars and other automata driving down it)?  If not, you may have an incompatible traffic simulator plugin installed, such as the PEG-SPAM Traffic Mod's traffic simulator file, or hailman's Variable Route Buses plugin.

I will try to explore that possibility, I don't believe that I have any traffic simulators because I remember somewhere saying that NAM's traffic simulator was the only one that is compatible. Just in case, Is there anyway to find out which other simulators aren't compatible?

Quote from: Tarkus on August 27, 2011, 12:50:49 AM
Additionally, make sure your RHW connects up properly on the neighboring city tile (e.g. there's actually something for the sims to commute to with it on the other side), and the neighbor connection in that neighboring city also has the appropriate Neighbor Connection pieces placed over top of it....There should be a green line and/or green arrows draped down the edge of your city tile where the neighbor connection is located.

In this picture (of the neighbor city) the arrows/or lines don't appear to be draped over the edge even for the properly functioning avenue connection (from the above picture) or any of my other properly functioning connections. Could this be a problem?

jdenm8

The neighbour connection pieces need to be used on both sides of the border. The paths will only drape off on RHW or NWM neighbour connector pieces because of the way it works. It loops two two-way connections together and filters the incoming traffic into two separate one-way flows. Without this looping functionality, the pathfinder can't 'see' a return route and will not send traffic that requires a return route (absolutely everything except Freight Trucks) via that connection.
We suspect this was a reason why Maxis' One Way Road can't make neighbour connections.

The Maxis-created two tile networks don't need neighbour connector pieces as they have special code associated with neighbour connections.

Tarkus

If you're not seeing draping green paths on the edge, that would seem to indicate you may not have placed the Neighbor Connectors--if you have a starter piece right next to the edge, it would prevent you from placing them.  The Neighbor Connectors just go over the ends on the RHW-4 tiles right next to the edge of the city, right over top of the segments of network underneath the default orange neighbor connection arrows.

-Alex

Augmentationist

Quote from: jdenm8 on August 27, 2011, 03:48:48 AM
The neighbour connection pieces need to be used on both sides of the border....

Quote from: Tarkus on August 27, 2011, 10:34:47 AM
If you're not seeing draping green paths on the edge, that would seem to indicate you may not have placed the Neighbor Connectors

I said this earlier.
Quote from: Augmentationist on August 27, 2011, 12:27:43 AM....I drag a starter piece out to the edge of the map and plop the neighbor connection puzzle pieces on top (on both sides).....

I was hoping that I had forgotten to place the neighbor connection pieces on both sides so I tried it again, still no draping green paths on the edge.

j-dub

Quote.I drag a starter piece out to the edge of the map and plop the neighbor connection puzzle pieces on top (on both sides).....

Dude, you just can't expect the neighbor pieces to work if the starters are also on the edge under the yellow arrows.

jdenm8

Okay, you said you've plopped the neighbour connection pieces, but I don't see their surface path behaviour...

For the record, this is a fully functioning neighbour connection using RHW v5.0 (I have a mod that removes the neighbour connection arrows, I find them ugly)

In my example, I see two-way paths on the surface of the road, on yours I don't.

EDIT: You may not be plopping the RHW-4 NCPs, but maybe the RHW-4 Filler, which is visually identical.

Augmentationist

Quote from: j-dub on August 28, 2011, 04:34:47 PM
Dude, you just can't expect the neighbor pieces to work if the starters are also on the edge under the yellow arrows.

Dude, the game will not even let you plop the neighbor connector pieces on top of a starter piece.

Quote from: jdenm8 on August 28, 2011, 06:30:35 PM
You may not be plopping the RHW-4 NCPs, but maybe the RHW-4 Filler, which is visually identical.

Are the filler pieces also located under this menu?

Tarkus

Quote from: Augmentationist on August 28, 2011, 07:32:18 PM
Are the filler pieces also located under this menu?

Nope, that button's all NC pieces.

That's just plain bizarre . . . those paths haven't (to my knowledge) changed since Version 4.0. 

Still, though, I've attached the appropriate path out of my current build of Version 5.0, which I've verified as functioning correctly.  Drop this in your Plugins\Network Addon Mod\Real Highway Mod folder. 

If it's still not working, it would point to a modified copy of the path file for the RHW-4 Neighbor Connector sitting somewhere else in your Plugins, conflicting with the RHW and preventing the piece from functioning.

-Alex

Augmentationist

Quote from: Tarkus on August 28, 2011, 11:13:14 PM
If it's still not working, it would point to a modified copy of the path file for the RHW-4 Neighbor Connector sitting somewhere else in your Plugins, conflicting with the RHW and preventing the piece from functioning.

Alright that file in your attachment didn't work either. Is there any easy way to find that conflicting file?

Tarkus

There's a couple ways you could go about that.

Probably the most helpful way for diagnosis would be similar to the procedure described here, though instead of opening NetworkAddonMod_RIGHT_HAND_CONTROLLER.dat with the Reader, open the .dat of my attached path file, using the Plugins Analyzer feature to determine the location of any duplicate path files (they'd have an instance of 0x5cbbf000).  This would allow me to put whatever the conflicting file is into the Cleanitol so we can prevent others from having to deal with this in the future.

Alternatively, you can completely empty out your Plugins and slowly add stuff back in, trying to find the conflict by process of elimination, or stick the fix file in a zzzz-RHW NC Fix folder in your Plugins, ensuring it loads last and overrides any conflicting file.

-Alex

j-dub

@Aug, hopefully the next post will be good news, but if you still can't work it out:
http://www.youtube.com/v/pIxm5ycVhiI
I suppose I can share with you my experience on how I used to establish network connections, before NCP's were developed.

Dino007

This is not NAM issue but I don't know where to ask this:

1. I have downloaded some street mod (as you can see on the pic) but intersections are still from default streets.
2. I don't want red (brick) sidewalks.

TIGR

Augmentationist

Quote from: Tarkus on August 30, 2011, 01:49:22 AM
Probably the most helpful way for diagnosis would be similar to the procedure described here, though instead of opening NetworkAddonMod_RIGHT_HAND_CONTROLLER.dat with the Reader, open the .dat of my attached path file, using the Plugins Analyzer feature to determine the location of any duplicate path files (they'd have an instance of 0x5cbbf000).  This would allow me to put whatever the conflicting file is into the Cleanitol so we can prevent others from having to deal with this in the future.

So my computer programming skills aren't very good. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what I am looking at.

Quote from: j-dub on August 30, 2011, 09:21:16 AM
I suppose I can share with you my experience on how I used to establish network connections, before NCP's were developed.

I should try the vintage way to see if that works.

Tarkus

It looks like there is a duplicate instance of the SC4Path file at instance 0x5cbbf000, but there's only one, and it seems to be the one in your normal RHW installation--no cigar.

This is really just plain bizarre.  Just out curiosity:

-Does the RHW-6S Neighbor Connector work?  The paths there will also allow it to function as an RHW-4 Neighbor Connector (though it'll look a little bit funky).

Otherwise, I'd continue using workarounds and just wait for RHW Version 5.0 to come out, then try again after that.

-Alex