• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the81kid

Erisiah

Should we be able to an MIS road to a OWR and get a working transition? I thought you could before, but all I get is this:
I'm using the lastest NAM, and this comes up with only the NAM installed in my Plugins folder.

Tarkus

Yes, but the code somehow didn't make it into the NAM 31 controller.  That was fixed on our end quite some time ago, and you'll be able to do that again with NAM 31.1.

-Alex

feyss

Hi everyone. I have two little problems. :)

The yellow line with the european textures. I don't know if I am the only one with this. It also happens with the avenue bridge.

The second one is more a esthetic problem. I am not fan of the new grass texture with the road (you can see it just before the church). Ok, it's juste a little detail but I think it's not realistic for historical center. How can I change the texture ?

Thank you.  ;)

curamelas

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums, but I could use a little help, I just installed the NAM31, the installation is successful, when I enter the game and try to load a new city (any size), my game freezes, someone had the same problem??? (I do not speak English, I am using google, sorry)

shanghai kid

Quote from: curamelas on April 05, 2013, 12:52:56 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums, but I could use a little help, I just installed the NAM31, the installation is successful, when I enter the game and try to load a new city (any size), my game freezes, someone had the same problem??? (I do not speak English, I am using google, sorry)

It's getting fixed in NAM 31.1..... I've the same problem... and it's the size of the "controller-file" in the nam.... they are reducing the size of it fro the comming NAM 31.1 which also contains some fixes of bugs found in NAM 31.
Shanghai kid from Norway
"The lurking devil"
(Bam Bam Bigelow & Eddie Guerrero R.I.P).

curamelas

Quote from: shanghai kid on April 06, 2013, 05:48:25 AM
Quote from: curamelas on April 05, 2013, 12:52:56 AM

It's getting fixed in NAM 31.1..... I've the same problem... and it's the size of the "controller-file" in the nam.... they are reducing the size of it fro the comming NAM 31.1 which also contains some fixes of bugs found in NAM 31.

Thank you very much for your prompt response, and was somewhat frustrated

Magneto

Hello there, I have a question about the extended draggable GLR.
When I select it, I can see in the description "building additional styles of draggable glr with customisable base textures",
but I found nothing in the documentation about how to do it.

I lpeeked in GLR files searching for the dark grass texture so I can replace it with a texture that matches better along with my terrain mod, but couldn't find them?

Any help appreciated, thanks

shanghai kid

Shanghai kid from Norway
"The lurking devil"
(Bam Bam Bigelow & Eddie Guerrero R.I.P).

medit84truth

We've been told before there is nothing that can be done about the lack of fully functional stop lights at intersections with one-way roads. I was messing around a bit and wanted to see what would happen if I placed OWR starter pieces on each side of the road turning lane intersection puzzle piece, and then dragging the starters out in their respective directions. Of course the intersection was only partially functional because it's pathed for road intersection purposes. The only problem is the north bound network has one active lane ounce it reaches the intersection (far right) and the east bound network only has 2 active lanes ounce reaching the intersection (middle and far right). But the lights still worked...both sets.

I know the activity at avenue/road intersections with fully functional stop lights isn't perfect and are still just visualizations, but at the one-way intersections I find it strange watching two massive streams of vehicles collide together like demolition derby with no traffic control device.

My questions is, is there any way a puzzle piece that already exists for avenue/road intersection use that have functioning stop lights can be re-pathed/re-purposed to accommodate the paths that feature 2 one-way roads intersecting with one-another, like the paths on the intersection to the right? Or better yet, intersecting with other networks? 

kassarc16

jdenm8

Quote from: medit84truth on April 23, 2013, 12:18:56 PM
We've been told before there is nothing that can be done about the lack of fully functional stop lights at intersections with one-way roads. I was messing around a bit and wanted to see what would happen if I placed OWR starter pieces on each side of the road turning lane intersection puzzle piece, and then dragging the starters out in their respective directions. Of course the intersection was only partially functional because it's pathed for road intersection purposes. The only problem is the north bound network has one active lane ounce it reaches the intersection (far right) and the east bound network only has 2 active lanes ounce reaching the intersection (middle and far right). But the lights still worked...both sets.

What you've done works on the same principle as the A-2 Volleyball Interchange SIP. You use a different network which does have working traffic signals on the intersection tile. The OWR TuLEPs are going to work on the same principle.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

j-dub

And again, it's just, time permitting, I know this concept was known about for some time, but I was hoping after the last NAM release, that for sure, would resolve why no time is set, nor should be expected on whatever NAM development, proposed or in progress. Still, it is a nice share.

And not to mention, alternate network enabled pieces that would allow functional OWR RxR crossings are possible, but again, as-is, no warranty provided on when if it will happen.

permanate

I cannot seem to find any information on an issue I'm having with the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool, and I'm not even sure if this is the right place to ask, so forgive me if it's not.
I installed NAM 31 and launched the TSCT to change some settings (changed MT usage to Medium High, base capacity to High, nothing else).  After I changed it this one time, I could never again get it to save new settings.  It kept giving me an error message saying that SC4 was probably running (it wasn't).  After I installed the latest NAM 31.1 (awesome work, very much appreciate this!), I could again edit settings via TSCT... but again, only ONCE.  Now, no matter what I seem to do, it keeps thinking SC4 is running (according to the error message).  Any thoughts?  Am I totally missing something simple and now I look like a total moron?  Thanks!

z

First of all, welcome to SC4 Devotion!

Quote from: permanate on May 03, 2013, 08:49:19 AM
I cannot seem to find any information on an issue I'm having with the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool, and I'm not even sure if this is the right place to ask, so forgive me if it's not.

Forgiven. :)   The correct place is actually the NAM Unified Traffic Simulator and Data View Help thread, but it's down on the NAM Creations page, and it's a little hard to find.

QuoteI installed NAM 31 and launched the TSCT to change some settings (changed MT usage to Medium High, base capacity to High, nothing else).  After I changed it this one time, I could never again get it to save new settings.  It kept giving me an error message saying that SC4 was probably running (it wasn't).  After I installed the latest NAM 31.1 (awesome work, very much appreciate this!), I could again edit settings via TSCT... but again, only ONCE.  Now, no matter what I seem to do, it keeps thinking SC4 is running (according to the error message).  Any thoughts?  Am I totally missing something simple and now I look like a total moron?  Thanks!

First of all, you don't look like a total moron. $%Grinno$%  Or even a partial one. $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

However, I tried all the steps you mentioned, and everything works fine for me.  Also, we've had no other reports of this problem.  So what could be happening here?

The error message you're getting indicates that a write operation failed.  Yet you're able to do this properly the first time.  When the TSCT writes a new traffic simulator, it makes a copy of the old one in its installation folder, which is typically under Program Files.  If you're running as an unprivileged user, you would not have full permissions here.  The first time you run the TSCT, it simply makes a backup in that folder.  But on subsequent runs, it renames the previous backup so that you can have multiple backup versions.  This seems to be what is failing, and giving you the error message you see.

This would seem to be a bug in the TSCT, as it should simply ignore such an error.  We'll try to get this fixed as soon as possible.  In the mean time, you should be able to use the TSCT with no problems if you run as an administrator.

Strife

is there any known bugs with the NWM neighbor connections? im not 100% sure yet but many times i updgrade an avenue connection to an AVE-6 or MAVE-6 (placing the connection properly on both cities) i start having a huge unemployment wave which i never recover from. i have also noticed that the usage drops a lot when making this upgrade, sometimes going from 40.000 sims using the maxis avenue to like 5.000 with an AVE-6, even after a lot of in-game years.

I have also noticed that, at least im sure with the AVE-6, that its the least prefered neighbor conection for the sims, they start looking for other ways like roads, even if they are further away and congested.

i dont have pictures at the moment, i just wanted to know if anyone had these issues first, because it has happened to me many times, everything going well on my city, sims commuting to other cities to work, i always have enough jobs, and then all of a sudden a large ammount of buildings are marked as unemployed and i just cant find any reason for that because it happens suddenly, all i remember is that i made a new neighbor conection a few in-game months before all that happened.

Tarkus

The NWM Neighbor Connections are a bit quirky.  I've never seen them completely break a commute path, but they can behave a bit strangely at times.

With the AVE-6, the vehicles like to crowd onto the center tile (which would work regardless of whether or not you have an NC piece there), which increases the congestion load there.  That's probably why vehicles are preferring other routes instead.

-Alex

APSMS

Quote from: Strife on May 03, 2013, 04:34:25 PM
is there any known bugs with the NWM neighbor connections? im not 100% sure yet but many times i updgrade an avenue connection to an AVE-6 or MAVE-6 (placing the connection properly on both cities) i start having a huge unemployment wave which i never recover from. i have also noticed that the usage drops a lot when making this upgrade, sometimes going from 40.000 sims using the maxis avenue to like 5.000 with an AVE-6, even after a lot of in-game years.

I have also noticed that, at least im sure with the AVE-6, that its the least prefered neighbor conection for the sims, they start looking for other ways like roads, even if they are further away and congested.

It might be worth it to make your NWM transition to a RHW 6S or 6C at the last minute (Like, 2 tiles worth) and use the RHW neighbor connections. I've never really had a problem with those connections (though my neighbor connections are admittedly underused anyways), and it might be worth a shot if you aren't having any luck with the conventional method. The draggable transitions between the two networks also makes the switch more compact, so it doesn't impact as much visually either.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Strife

permanate

Z - Thank you for directing me to the right place, and for answering my question.  I changed the user permissions, and now it seems to work perfectly.
Thank you!