Menu

LEX File Exchange
EA Support Files
SC4 Wikipedia
Network Addon Mod
Dependencies
Chat
Welcome to SimCity 4 Devotion. Please login or sign up.

October 03, 2022, 12:20:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Downloads

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nickWtn

Quote from: LucarioBoricua on March 24, 2022, 07:46:25 PM
Quote from: nickWtn on March 24, 2022, 06:23:10 PMSo I just installed NAM 44 and noticed in the release notes that it say's "Additionally, Avenues can now end at T-intersections with the Road/NWM Type 110 configuration, with turn arrows provided by the new Avenue Type 020 FTLs." However I can't seem to get this to work, I've provided a screenshot of what I see which I had to put on imgur because it was to large for this site, please let me know if this is hopefully just something working on my end.  https://imgur.com/a/AgugLn0


Alright, so there's a difference between the pieces. Based on the linked image (re-posted below without the link typo), you're trying to use the FTL 120 (this one adds a third lane for the left turns).





The piece you're looking for is this other one, the FTL-020, it appears just before the one you use in the TAB ring. FTL-020 is the one on the right side of this view. Place it on the lanes where the avenue approaches the end-T intersection with plain road or FTL-110 (the left turn lanes for road).



Ah okay thanks a bunch I guess in my mind I was looking for something that looked like a avenue inside of something that looked like a one way road, anyways I'll remember that going forward. 

Wiimeiser

Isn't that the piece where the LHD RULs were completely omitted from the controller file?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on March 25, 2022, 05:07:13 PMIsn't that the piece where the LHD RULs were completely omitted from the controller file?
The RULs weren't completely omitted from the controller file, but rather, the RUL0 reference was off of what the RUL1 reference needed to be.  This will be fixed for NAM 45.

-Alex

Jaxtraw26

I just installed the latest version on Mac and am running a Steam version of SimCity. I have white rectangles over certain sections of RHW network. Now this screenshot was made on an old city I imported into my new install. The original network was built on NAM32 on windows. On this Mac version I could not even find a RHW 6S level 0 started piece, only a level 1.


Photo of white boxes

Wiimeiser

I'm more concerned about what looks like a missing avenue. To me it looks like the old pre-FLEX SPUI piece (plus connecting TuLEPs) or something from the NWM is missing.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

Quote from: Jaxtraw26 on March 26, 2022, 08:39:54 PMI just installed the latest version on Mac and am running a Steam version of SimCity. I have white rectangles over certain sections of RHW network. Now this screenshot was made on an old city I imported into my new install. The original network was built on NAM32 on windows. On this Mac version I could not even find a RHW 6S level 0 started piece, only a level 1.


Photo of white boxes
The white boxes are an issue related to the Mac version's reliance on OpenGL for the graphical engine.  The OpenGL implementation used in SC4 is . . . rough, and it occasionally has quirks like that.  We don't really have a solution to it, but it does appear to be an issue that is sporadic.

As far as the missing L0 RHW-6S starter piece, it's not actually missing--when Aspyr updated the game to be 64-bit (and thus, capable of running on newer versions of macOS that dropped 32-bit support entirely), for some reason, they screwed up the process of cycling through TAB Loops.  Using the normal TAB or Shift-TAB on a Mac will cycle through, but it will often skip every other item in the loop.  In order to access every item, you'll need to use Ctrl-TAB or Ctrl-Shift-TAB to cycle through everything.  With NAM 44, we updated the menu button descriptions for most of the non-deprecated (and non-about-to-be-deprecated) items to make mention of this Mac-specific quirk.

-Alex

nitramka

My question is: Are 8gb of RAM not enough or is the issue somewhere else?


Installed the 44 version with the "z_NAM_Controller 4GB Full" on a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit system with 8 gb RAM.
SimCity 4 Deluxe by Steam. Without any other mods.

The mod was installed with the bat file, including the 4gb patch.
Game starts but when I try to load an empty tile or any title from London,Berlin,.... the tile doesnt load. Nor does the game crash.

So I uninstalled it and deleted the leftover files and reinstalled with the LowRAM_noRHW option.
Game starts and is now loading tiles (takes around ~20 seconds) but without RHW.

Took me some time to figure out that this option doesnt allow RHW to work properly, just saw LowRAM .... ^^
https://ibb.co/qgdHjXf

ulisse99

Quote from: nitramka on March 28, 2022, 11:14:51 AMMy question is: Are 8gb of RAM not enough or is the issue somewhere else?


Installed the 44 version with the "z_NAM_Controller 4GB Full" on a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit system with 8 gb RAM.
SimCity 4 Deluxe by Steam. Without any other mods.

The mod was installed with the bat file, including the 4gb patch.
Game starts but when I try to load an empty tile or any title from London,Berlin,.... the tile doesnt load. Nor does the game crash.

So I uninstalled it and deleted the leftover files and reinstalled with the LowRAM_noRHW option.
Game starts and is now loading tiles (takes around ~20 seconds) but without RHW.

Took me some time to figure out that this option doesnt allow RHW to work properly, just saw LowRAM .... ^^
https://ibb.co/qgdHjXf

We know that the bat file is failing for some reason. The best procedure to install the 4GB patch is to do it manually. I recommend you watch this video on how to manually apply the patch


LucarioBoricua

Some questions:

  • Are you running the game through Steam, or is this a plain standalone digital copy (ex. GoG, Amazon)?

  • Did you try applying the 4GB patch manually on the SimCity 4.exe application?

  • Do you know if your operating system is 64-bit, in addition to having the 8GB of RAM?

You should be able to run a full installation of the game with as little as 6GB of RAM, provided you could apply the 4GB patch correctly. It is also correct that using the low RAM controller means the RealHighway won't be available, as this controller doesn't contain the code required to operate the RHW, cutting its size by nearly half.

nitramka

The 4gb patch is installed correct by the *.bat .
https://ibb.co/cXXxk2d

Also did it manually as suggested:
https://ibb.co/qD4RTgD

64-bit, 8GB Ram
https://ibb.co/YQZk4Gm

Steam version (dont know what to right here exactly. Bought and installed with Steam.)

When the patch is applied and 8GB are installed in the PC, NAM should be working with the full install option ?

LucarioBoricua

Yes, that is correct! Do a full installation and check if everything's running. All your selected option should appear and work in the game, including the RealHighway. You shouldn't get crashes from the game lacking memory to function.

If not, check the properties of your shortcut, or your launch settings. Make sure the game is set to run on 1 core or thread. If you use the Properties > Shortcut tab option, make sure you have -CPUCount:1 on the target text box.

Tarkus

Quote from: nitramka on March 28, 2022, 11:14:51 AMGame starts but when I try to load an empty tile or any title from London,Berlin,.... the tile doesnt load. Nor does the game crash.

So I uninstalled it and deleted the leftover files and reinstalled with the LowRAM_noRHW option.
Game starts and is now loading tiles (takes around ~20 seconds) but without RHW.

Normally, the behavior for a 4GB Patch failure is that the game will crash when attempting to load a city tile.  If it's not crashing, that would seem to indicate that it is still loading, albeit rather slowly.  The difference in size between the LowRAM/NoRHW Controller and the Full Controller is not insignificant (around 66MB for Low, 416MB for Full, a 350MB difference), so a slower load would be expected.  I'd simply wait it out and see if it does finally load.

I will note that we've yet to really pinpoint why the 4GB Patch routine (particularly with the .bat file) has been failing for some users, but the working hypothesis is that it's primarily happening with Steam users, because Steam installs the game into a subfolder of Program Files (x86), which, on more recent versions of Windows, is inexplicably treated almost as a system folder, and is subject to some permissions restrictions as a result.

-Alex

mgb204

Quote from: LucarioBoricua on March 28, 2022, 11:30:43 AMYou should be able to run a full installation of the game with as little as 6GB of RAM, provided you could apply the 4GB patch correctly.

It should work with 4GB of RAM just fine, provided your OS isn't eating a large chuck of that 4GB itself. That said, if you've a modern (Win 10+) machine with only 4GB RAM, that should never really have happenend. I built my Win7 machine in 2013 and back then I would advise everyone to have a minimum of 8GB RAM.

Even with the full controller, the game itself won't be using all that 4GB. The reason for it is simply that Windows reserves a portion of the 2GB a 32-bit App can use, to the point that without the LAA (4GB) patch, SC4 can't even make use of 2GB RAM.

Quote from: Tarkus on March 28, 2022, 08:31:12 PM...Steam installs the game into a subfolder of Program Files (x86), which, on more recent versions of Windows, is inexplicably treated almost as a system folder, and is subject to some permissions restrictions as a result.

It's completely explainable and simply a result of hardened security by default in Windows. Because allowing apps and their installation/files to be modified, is a common source of security issues. That said, I highly doubt it's the problem here given the user is running Windows 7. I just wish 64-bit editions of Windows would have a function to add the LAA flag, rather than having to resort to a 3rd party tool. This way it would be an authorised OS operation that wouldn't subject the process to this security. It's so dumb because in real terms all this does is set a flag in the .exe, it's literally impossible to use that to do something nefarious. But because a 3rd Party app is doing the modification, Windows can't be certain and subjects it to the security rules.

nitramka

Quote from: LucarioBoricua on March 28, 2022, 01:42:49 PMYes, that is correct! Do a full installation and check if everything's running. All your selected option should appear and work in the game, including the RealHighway. You shouldn't get crashes from the game lacking memory to function.

If not, check the properties of your shortcut, or your launch settings. Make sure the game is set to run on 1 core or thread. If you use the Properties > Shortcut tab option, make sure you have -CPUCount:1 on the target text box.

Did some more reading,searching and testing...
using "-Intro:off -CPUcount1" , run as admin etc.


Full installation still doesnt work.
As said the 4GB patch is properly installed.
When any tile is loaded the game doesnt CTD but after 5 seconds weird sounds occur, like when the tile is loaded and kinda all sound effects are played at once (as it happens for 0,5 seconds on a working tile aka no full NAM installed). But these sounds and the tile loading/preparing with the full version goes on and on. Gave it 5 and even 10 minutes.

Jaxtraw26

**disregard** the region is buggy. It will not even play the simulation even with all plugins removed.

I went to my windows machine for a fresh install, and datpacked and migrated to my Macbook, and everything runs clean. On higher zooms I have seen the same boxes on some OWR, but the disappear when I zoom out and back in.

Amazing work! I've been doing nothing but developing a new region for two days and I love it. Cheers to you heros of development! Continuing to build upon this amazing bidy of work, thank you!!!!

bnsf611

There seems to be a conflict between a HRW prop in z_HRW_Points.dat and a Maxis car prop family. The IID of the Points X0-Y0 prop matches the Maxis prop family ID (A000000F).




SC4DateNode shows the HRW prop being loaded.




If I remove z_HRW_Points.dat or change the IID of Points X0-Y0 then the issue goes away (but ofc then the props don't work for HRW).


mgb204

A000005F is also used by a Maxis Prop family, but I also can confirm the above report.

Zeratai

Hi, I hope you can help me, I installed NAM and the modern bus stops and the GLR Transit hub, will show with brown brick base textures and not my actual sidewalk. Every other lot appear normal with the maxis default. I tried it without mods to see if some other plugin was changing it but it appears textures come with nam or maybe maxis default

ulisse99

Quote from: Zeratai on April 15, 2022, 08:51:37 PMHi, I hope you can help me, I installed NAM and the modern bus stops and the GLR Transit hub, will show with brown brick base textures and not my actual sidewalk. Every other lot appear normal with the maxis default. I tried it without mods to see if some other plugin was changing it but it appears textures come with nam or maybe maxis default

Brown textures are maxis. These lots were created to give a more modern aesthetic using a sidewalk different from the white sidewalk that uses maxis. Anyway. An Override patch has been created and will be available for NAM 45

Zeratai

Hey its me again. I was just playing yesterday and when plopping this bridge it seems theres a texture problem in the middle of it. Also, are the whole textures ok? I mean rail textures doesn't fit RRW Textures but I don't know if this is on purpose or not.