• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEG24601

Here is one of the issues I've encountered.  This section of road does appear to be a choke point, and may be the source of some routing problems in one of my cities.

Tarkus

I seem to recall that one getting fixed at some point, but I don't remember when or where.  It doesn't appear to be in the Hotfix package.

-Alex

ivo_su

Is there any way to open perhaps L - reader or some other program such as PIM, PedMall a puzzle piece and it can be edited? In general, how to add props to create puzzle pieces and in particular in PedMalls?

vortext

You can add props to puzzle pieces via T21 exemplars, which would be done with the Reader indeed. These two tutorials cover pretty much everything there's to know about T21s.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

ivo_su

Quote from: vortext on September 15, 2012, 11:08:19 AM
You can add props to puzzle pieces via T21 exemplars, which would be done with the Reader indeed. These two tutorials cover pretty much everything there's to know about T21s.

A Can you tell me what folder and directory are PedMall pieces of NAM?

vortext

Sure, Pedmalls are in the NetworkAddonMod5.dat file, which sits in the main NAM folder.
time flies like a bird

ivo_su

Thanks so much Vortext

Well as you can see with your help I was able to do what I wanted. But I just edited the first puzzle piece, and I'd like to do a whole set of similar PedMalls with props.

io_bg

That looks really good... Will be very useful for my pedestrian streets / plazas :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

vortext

That's pretty decent indeed! Though for more variety in trees I would suggest to use a prop family, there're quite a few to choose from in CP's proppacks.
time flies like a bird

ivo_su

Rather, I think I have something like tables and chairs and other ornaments that resemble street cafes and restaurants, but for this purpose I need at least 5-6 puzzle pieces. As Ioan said, and they will be very useful for the construction of squares.

vortext

Sounds promising! Come to think of it, it's kinda surprising that hasn't been done before. Looking forward to your results.  :)
time flies like a bird

ivo_su

It is not ideal, however, is a few minutes and most important work. Does how to copy one puzzle piece several times and then edited. As far as I can see Path S3D files and the files are identical, so they can be replicated. Am I right?

vortext

Quote from: ivo_su on September 16, 2012, 02:02:19 PM
As far as I can see Path S3D files and the files are identical, so they can be replicated. Am I right?

Yes and no. Yes, they can be replicated like you've described, however, I believe the new pieces would also need to be incorperated into the NAM controller, which is beyond me.  &mmm
Maybe Alex wants to chip in here?

Anyhow, if I recall correctly there're already 5 PedMalls + 4 mountain trail pieces available, so why not edit each of those to form one consistent set?
time flies like a bird

ivo_su

Quote from: vortext on September 16, 2012, 02:18:06 PM
Quote from: ivo_su on September 16, 2012, 02:02:19 PM
As far as I can see Path S3D files and the files are identical, so they can be replicated. Am I right?

Yes and no. Yes, they can be replicated like you've described, however, I believe the new pieces would also need to be incorperated into the NAM controller, which is beyond me.  &mmm
Maybe Alex wants to chip in here?

Anyhow, if I recall correctly there're already 5 PedMalls + 4 mountain trail pieces available, so why not edit each of those to form one consistent set?

Yes indeed those four mountain trails will do a great job because I do not use them, but I saw that the Path files are different (have only two paths for pedestrians) But I guess it can be replaced.

rummtata

I've been trying to create over- resp. underpasses using ground lifter lots and tunnels. I'm also using the Ennedi Slope Mod (medium variant).

Now my problem: When I drag my upper network over the tunnel "hill", it lowers the ground again, which of course it's not supposed to. The result is all messed up:

In the tutorial videos I've watched this effect doesn't occur. What am I doing wrong, how do you guys do it?

GDO29Anagram

The tutorial vid you may have seen might not have had the ESM installed; It helps to show me which vid you're referring to.

Typically, when I build on a gradual slope, first I level out the top, then I level out the actual inclines using Rail. (Perhaps you want a video on that, too...)

The thing about the ESM is that it requires large and gradual slopes, not short and impossible-to-pass slopes.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

rummtata

Now that you mention it, I remember the rail method from one of those tutorials. I've tried to utilize it for my interchange and it actually helped. I also decreased the ground lifters I used to the lowest possible height for the game to tunnel through and increased the dimensions of the ramp on both sides. Additionally, in preparation, I leveled a large patch of ground before even beginning the construction. The result is definetly an improvement, yay =)

Now on to ne next interchange...

Nice job with the interchange!  That said, we highly recommend converting screenshots from PNG to JPG before posting them, due to the filesize. -Tarkus, Admin

Moonraker0

Hello.  I've encountered a couple of odd, yet minor, problems as of late.  The first is that whenever I drag a road intersecting with one half of an avenue (AVE-4), it automatically continues across the other half.  I usually design my street grids now so that I don't have any right-turn-only intersections without stoplights, but it's still a problem that I can't make them now.  Any idea as to what might cause this?

The second is something that I'm not sure if it's actually a bug or not.  I can't drag a road under the tile directly adjacent to an elevated rail Y-intersection, as shown by the screenshot:
http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/126056514-4.jpg
I haven't even tried doing that for a while, I guess, but something tells me that I should be able to do it and that it maybe used to be possible.  Is this normal?

ivo_su

Hi! I've a problem with my NAM and with the RHW menu icons to be precise. They're all doubled both in the Build Highways and Roads menus. Everything else is allright. I though I might've accidentally Datpacked my NAM but I've no idea how to fix it. But I'm not sure this could be causing the problem. Help me please!

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Moonraker0 on November 01, 2012, 03:46:24 PM
The first is that whenever I drag a road intersecting with one half of an avenue (AVE-4), it automatically continues across the other half.  I usually design my street grids now so that I don't have any right-turn-only intersections without stoplights, but it's still a problem that I can't make them now.  Any idea as to what might cause this?

The second is something that I'm not sure if it's actually a bug or not.  I can't drag a road under the tile directly adjacent to an elevated rail Y-intersection, as shown by the screenshot:
http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/126056514-4.jpg
I haven't even tried doing that for a while, I guess, but something tells me that I should be able to do it and that it maybe used to be possible.  Is this normal?

The first one tends to happen if you forget to update your game.

The second one? That kind of crossing can't be done. The reason being is that there are special direction flags used for curve tiles (and the Rail Y has a bunch of "hidden" flags), and you can't make a crossing between two different network that close with those kinds of flags.

Even though the Rail (and in your case, El Rail) crossing looks like you can drag another network through it, it's just like the Road crossing in the picture.

For the record, the crossings in the game are defined by using special configurations of direction flags, usually 00, 01, 02, 03, and 04. The direction flags used for the curve tiles are 11 and 13 (and Rail has even more wilder flags), and the RUL-1 file (which dictates every possible crossing and intersection) can't handle flags like 11 and 13.

The reason the crossings shown above work is because they're handled by an INRUL, an "individual network rule". There are two INRULs per network, and one of them handles crossings between the same network (Road X Road, Rail X Rail crossings), and it's how you get funny crossings like the Road Y (or Boomerang-T) crossing. Try it using two networks and you'll get a different result.

Quote from: ivo_su on November 03, 2012, 12:59:05 PM
Hi! I've a problem with my NAM and with the RHW menu icons to be precise. They're all doubled both in the Build Highways and Roads menus. Everything else is allright.

This kind of problem only occurs when you have multiples of the same plugin (or outdated NAM plugins) installed. This is also the reason why you don't DATpack the NAM, because if left behind, you'll have multiple menu icons (among other problems).

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=5094.msg161816#msg161816

Only solution is to go find the extra plugin and remove it.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums