• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadgeek

Quote from: Tarkus on August 25, 2013, 07:33:32 PM
Quote from: sepen77 on August 25, 2013, 07:14:28 PM
Not sure if this one has been brought up before. I know it's really difficult to make all the these overrides work, so this is probably one of those out there that always glitches around.

Yeah, that one has difficulty on three ends--it's near a curve, over a diagonal, and near a transition.  The only solution is going to be Project 57-Mark 4.

-Alex

Is there by any chance a thread where we can follow this Mark 4? :discuss:

Tarkus

Quote from: roadgeek on April 21, 2014, 05:58:24 PM

Mark 4 hasn't made it off the drawing board--there's not really been any work on it yet.  If there had been, it'd be in the RHW thread, though I suspect Mark 4 work isn't going to be all that interesting to look at, unless looking at RUL2 code is your thing.

-Alex

Egi

Quote from: Indiana Joe on April 21, 2014, 02:47:56 PM
Quote from: Egi on April 21, 2014, 01:02:44 PM
Hello together,

I use NAM 32 with the cosmetic re-texture mod.
Here is the following glitch I have my problems with:

Is that normal or a bug?

That's normal.  Unfortunately that one tile is treated as regular diagonal road instead of part of an intersection, so we cannot change the texture.

Hmmm, I suspected that much already. But then I though, how does the draggable FAR and the draggable wide radius curves handle it? The pieces texture also adjusts depending on the neighbouring tiles. So is it maybe possible to rework this crossing with this new techniques in mind? :)

roadgeek

Quote from: Tarkus on April 21, 2014, 08:22:27 PM
Quote from: roadgeek on April 21, 2014, 05:58:24 PM

Mark 4 hasn't made it off the drawing board--there's not really been any work on it yet.  If there had been, it'd be in the RHW thread, though I suspect Mark 4 work isn't going to be all that interesting to look at, unless looking at RUL2 code is your thing.

-Alex

Well, I am a programmer, so if I can get a handle on how RUL2 code is supposed to work, I am somewhat of a geek about that sort of thing.

APSMS

Quote from: Egi on April 21, 2014, 11:47:44 PM
Hmmm, I suspected that much already. But then I though, how does the draggable FAR and the draggable wide radius curves handle it? The pieces texture also adjusts depending on the neighbouring tiles. So is it maybe possible to rework this crossing with this new techniques in mind? :)

Perhaps, though if I understand it correctly the draggable FAR and WRC are made using a side-by-side and arrangement setup which is why the patterns are the way they are. A certain amount of adjacency (read: interacting tiles) is necessary in certain arrangements for the correct textures to appear. Notably if you accidentally erase even one tile of a mildly complex WRC or FAR curve/intersection, the entire segment needs to be redrawn because of the tile pattern. Unfortunately it does not appear that such a diagonal intersection has enough neighboring road tiles to distinguish one part of the intersection (with the texture glitch) from any other normal road tile.

The best fix would be to simple have a road texture that blends better in those situations. I'm not sure if this is feasible; what does the intersection look like with MAXIS textures?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

jdenm8

The problem is fixing this little graphical bug will probably break other parts of the NAM by introducing yet another bit of entropy into our adjacency code, blowing out the size of all the override networks.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

noahclem

Wouldn't INRULs be the way to correct an "error" like that? Properly implemented an overhanging texture could work too though one would have to keep in mind that the tile adjacent to the diagonal intersection wouldn't always be straight.

I have a question about the DBE: are there known conflicts to it (besides slope mods obviously)? For some reason I just can't use it to draw rails now. I tried removing RRW stuff, terrain mod & slope mod, the rest of the NAM rail stuff minus viaducts, and substituting daeley's original zero-slope mod in for the DBE and couldn't get anywhere with it. Rail's slope is "0" and it seems to be able to lower terrain when dragging but never raise it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance :)

memo

Quote from: noahclem on April 23, 2014, 05:54:09 AM
I have a question about the DBE: are there known conflicts to it (besides slope mods obviously)? For some reason I just can't use it to draw rails now. I tried removing RRW stuff, terrain mod & slope mod, the rest of the NAM rail stuff minus viaducts, and substituting daeley's original zero-slope mod in for the DBE and couldn't get anywhere with it. Rail's slope is "0" and it seems to be able to lower terrain when dragging but never raise it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance :)

This sounds like the pylon exemplars for the diagonal rail network are missing. However, these are included in the temporary DBE files, so this is really strange. If you tried removing the RRW stuff, make sure you also removed the RUL files (RealRailway_Core.dat) because these map the rail network tiles to different IDs. I have just checked that the diagonal rail bridges do still work. I don't no of any other conflicts.

eugenelavery

This is an unfortunate aesthetic issue, which only seems to occur with the avenues.

kassarc16

That's an oldie that I'm surprised to see around still.

Easiest thing to do is use the T Onslope, drag OWR through it, and demolish the OWR.

Nosimx

Tarkus

Are you talking about the different colors of arrows on El-Rail and GLR?  That's normal, and has existed for almost as long as the NAM has--it's a quirk of how the game displays the Rail paths we added to El-Rail to allow UDI functionality.

-Alex

Nosimx

Yes, I meant the rail colors on the glr / el. Thank you.

My problem at this moment: is there a reason, why Cogeos rail-glr hubs should not work with NAM 32 ? I changed the capacity and entry cost settings as described in the NAM doc - but no glr passengers arrive at the station.

z

Quote from: Nosimx on April 26, 2014, 10:46:23 PM
My problem at this moment: is there a reason, why Cogeos rail-glr hubs should not work with NAM 32 ? I changed the capacity and entry cost settings as described in the NAM doc - but no glr passengers arrive at the station.

No, there is nothing in NAM 32 that should affect Cogeo's GLR stations at all.

protopath

I am having problems where my sims only want to walk everywhere. no cars, buses, or train usage. also after I make and save initial changes in the traffic editor I get the error message that Sim City is already running and can't save. any suggestions?

eugenelavery

memo

Quote from: eugenelavery on April 27, 2014, 01:17:56 PM
Missing sidewalk when using Avenue overpass over OWR.

You'd rather use the rail tool to get rid of the T intersections of the on-slope pieces.

eugenelavery

I am meaning the missing sidewalk underneath the overpass.

Tarkus

That's par for the course for every one of those pieces.  They're model-based, and as overpasses, they can't touch zones, to boot.

-Alex