• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

First off, are you running NAM 32.1, and what version of OS X are you running? 

Aspyr has its own version numbering system that doesn't align with the Windows version of the game, and they've refused to make a proper 1.1.638 update.  As a result, there's not really a version requirement for the Mac port.

The traffic simulator, regardless of platform, usually takes a few months of in-game time in existing cities to acclimate to any new traffic simulator settings.  If there's stuff you thought you installed that isn't showing up, I'd re-install the mod, and also consult with the Mac-specific documentation file.

Beyond that, there are currently no active Mac users on the NAM Team, so our ability to assist is unfortunately rather limited at the moment.

-Alex

mgb204

Quote from: Alan_Waters on January 15, 2016, 08:19:01 AM
I could not win:

Hmm... best guess that's just destabilised. Both the Highway Intersection and the Ramp ends are pretty close to the GLR network, so the code has a lot to do in such a scenario. Try these things to resolve it:

• You could try a bit of clicking around the elevated avenue, it might fix it up.
  • If it's not too tight, try dropping a starter or two in place for the elevated avenue network.
  • As a last resort, consider moving the Ave ramp piece or GLR network one more tile to the left.

Best of luck :)

Patronus

Quote from: Tarkus on January 16, 2016, 04:01:15 PM
First off, are you running NAM 32.1, and what version of OS X are you running? 

Aspyr has its own version numbering system that doesn't align with the Windows version of the game, and they've refused to make a proper 1.1.638 update.  As a result, there's not really a version requirement for the Mac port.

The traffic simulator, regardless of platform, usually takes a few months of in-game time in existing cities to acclimate to any new traffic simulator settings.  If there's stuff you thought you installed that isn't showing up, I'd re-install the mod, and also consult with the Mac-specific documentation file.

Beyond that, there are currently no active Mac users on the NAM Team, so our ability to assist is unfortunately rather limited at the moment.

-Alex

All right- thank you :)

I'll run on cheetah for several minutes to see if the new options show up.

Tarkus

Just to let you know, sometimes, going to Cheetah, it might actually end up still taking the same amount of real world time for the simulator to adjust. 

-Alex

z

Either way you do it, though, it should take no more than 18 game months for changes to show up from a cold start.  Once a game has been running, the traffic simulator updates much more frequently, generally about every four months or so.

Patronus

Ran the game for about 2 years game time and it seems like my sims are finally using highways and not roads much more  :thumbsup:

However I don't have the extra options (like roundabouts, sunken highways, turn lanes, all those extra goodies) that I installed. The .dat files are in the plugins folder but not put to use (see attachment).

EDIT: I'm using OS X El Captain but I turned off SIP since I knew it would cause trouble with x11. The more I hear about El Captain the more I regret updating. Now even iFunBox which I use to backup my phone doesn't work  &ops

Mero90

Quote from: Patronus on January 16, 2016, 06:23:06 PM
Ran the game for about 2 years game time and it seems like my sims are finally using highways and not roads much more  :thumbsup:

However I don't have the extra options (like roundabouts, sunken highways, turn lanes, all those extra goodies) that I installed. The .dat files are in the plugins folder but not put to use (see attachment).

EDIT: I'm using OS X El Captain but I turned off SIP since I knew it would cause trouble with x11. The more I hear about El Captain the more I regret updating. Now even iFunBox which I use to backup my phone doesn't work  &ops

Do you have the steam version? I'm running SC4 steam version under OSX 10.11.2 and I have the SIP turned on, it runs fine. Have you already tried a NAM fresh installation?

Patronus

I'm running the App Store Version unfortunately.

I'll try a fresh NAM installation and see how it works.

EDIT: OK. Deleted folders (since oddly the uninstall application is an exe file) and reinstalled. Still no turn lanes or ground diggers and roundabouts. However, seems like the traffic simulator itself is at wok (I can't tell for sure since my cities were commuter-friendly from the very beginning anyways). Before only 529 people used the Highway and now 5096 people use it which is nice but maybe because I zoned some high-density residential skyscrapers at the northern terminus of that Highway.

Fingolfin

Hi there! Found the solution of the Sandstone really useful, so thanks mgb204!

I've been testing the No grass mod by SL98 with NAM 34 seems to work only with diagonals.
Is there any "secret" or trick out there to make it work? Perhaps removing some of the new NAM textures?

mgb204

Quote from: Fingolfin on January 17, 2016, 11:31:17 AM
Hi there! Found the solution of the Sandstone really useful, so thanks mgb204!

I've been testing the No grass mod by SL98 with NAM 34 seems to work only with diagonals.
Is there any "secret" or trick out there to make it work? Perhaps removing some of the new NAM textures?

There is no fundamental change that prevents such mods from working. Although I'd imagine the textures you see would be very out of date, especially for EU texture users. You do need to ensure it's actually loading after the NAM, which it won't unless you prefix the mod's folder with "z____" - that's 4 underscores minimum.

You could save yourself the trouble and download an upto date version of the No Grass mods, my No Grass NAM, available on the LEX/STEX. It's fully NAM 34 compatible, including the new MRCs. It even comes with a simple installer that handles everything for you.

Fingolfin

Quote from: mgb204 on January 17, 2016, 01:00:35 PM
There is no fundamental change that prevents such mods from working. Although I'd imagine the textures you see would be very out of date, especially for EU texture users. You do need to ensure it's actually loading after the NAM, which it won't unless you prefix the mod's folder with "z____" - that's 4 underscores minimum.

You could save yourself the trouble and download an upto date version of the No Grass mods, my No Grass NAM, available on the LEX/STEX. It's fully NAM 34 compatible, including the new MRCs. It even comes with a simple installer that handles everything for you.

That was probably the easiest multiple-option installer I've ever used. All sidewalks are flawless now, even those from the most recent pieces.
Thanks again!

Btw. why is it not included in the NAM? I always thought that the grass between the road and the sidewalk is an aberration. Where do you find that in the real world?

APSMS

Quote from: Fingolfin on January 17, 2016, 02:57:09 PM
Btw. why is it not included in the NAM? I always thought that the grass between the road and the sidewalk is an aberration. Where do you find that in the real world?
Everywhere in Suburban (and even urban) America. Hence the Maxis inclusion, to many European users' dismay.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

mgb204

Quote from: Fingolfin on January 17, 2016, 02:57:09 PM
That was probably the easiest multiple-option installer I've ever used. All sidewalks are flawless now, even those from the most recent pieces.
Thanks again!

If we included every single option in the NAM, you'd probably never see another release.

NGN's existence is purely based on the existence of TGN. Thanks to Rivit's partnership, where we brought about texture automation, I was able to take TGN and modify it to produce sidewalks instead of terrain grass. Considering TGN only focused on textures containing grass, it was a logical step for very little work (99% automated) on my part. I wouldn't have bothered personally, but a number of requests for such a mod have been made recently, suggesting there was a need for an updated one.

Quote from: APSMS on January 17, 2016, 04:53:37 PM
Everywhere in Suburban (and even urban) America. Hence the Maxis inclusion, to many European users' dismay.

Perhaps in central areas and large cities you could argue sidewalks are the norm, but plenty of European suburbs and smaller towns still would have grass. I'd take grass any day of the week, blended properly (the real reason for TGN's existence), it deals with diagonals, WRCs and other edges much more harmoniously IMO.

Thanks for the comments re: the installer :). It's pretty basic and I'd like to add more flexibility in the future. But it's a good template to start improving upon (actually that's been most of my evening's work).

Tarkus

Quote from: mgb204 on January 17, 2016, 06:16:45 PM
Perhaps in central areas and large cities you could argue sidewalks are the norm, but plenty of European suburbs and smaller towns still would have grass.

To add to that, the networks and situations with the grass between the sidewalk and the roadway drop it in mid/high-density situations.

The grass is definitely the norm here in the western suburbs of Portland, especially with arterial roadways, and in many cases (esp. in post-1990 developments), along residential streets as well.  The grass strip protects pedestrians by creating an extra buffer from the road, and it also has the aesthetic benefits.  It adds some greenery to break up all the paved surfaces, and in addition, are suitable for the placement of street trees, which, in some cities (especially those who have a Tree City USA certification from the Arbor Day Foundation), are a required part of the planning code.

-Alex

Nanami

Quote from: mgb204 on January 09, 2016, 05:35:41 AM

I've just checked those pieces, indeed there are problems with L1 Ave over Ave, Street and L1 Ave over Ave intersections. Normally I'd just fix the paths and attach them here, but I can't understand why they are not working. Only paths including Rail usually need specific LHD paths, these pieces should simply mirror the existing paths. I've double-checked and all the RHD paths are fine. Rest assured it will be fixed though.
Late reply bit thanks for the advance..

any fix yet so far for LHD users?

mgb204

Honestly I was having trouble tracking the source of the problem. I'll try to look at it again, in the meantime I'll document the bug. That way it should see a fix eventually.

:update: issue #276 added

Wiimeiser

Elevated road viaducts appear to be a little broken. Only T-intersections with MIS are possible, and while viaduct + intersections are possible they use L1 RHW-2 instead. Copypaste RULs?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

mgb204

Quote from: Wiimeiser on January 18, 2016, 05:58:43 PM
Copypaste RULs?

Do you mean this?

If so, there's a fix I attached later on, minor cosmetic issue, the textures are wrong.

Wiimeiser

No, I mean this:

While I'm at it, the DRI E2 Outside (8S only) don't work at all, I always get a RHW-6 on the inside instead of a RHW-4. I have followed the instructions. The part with the orange arrow is physically impossible to do. Seems to work on its own volition. The big issue is the diagonal, under normal circumstances I get this instead.

EDIT2: I can get it to work...
...sometimes. Still having that misplaced texture bug though...

EDIT3:

Why do I lose the ability to drag here? What's going on?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

mgb204

L1 Road x MIS 4-way intersections are possible and functional in LHD.

The 2nd issue is almost certainly again just a texture. Given it's the US texture, what RHW textures do you have installed? I get the correct EU texture on this crossing. If I can track down the ID, I'll attach a fix.

Can't help you with the ramp though.