• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM 31.1 Technical Support and Bug Report Thread

Started by Tarkus, April 16, 2013, 12:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Now that NAM 31.1 is here, it's time for a new thread for tech support and any bug reports--while 31.1 is a vast improvement over 31, no piece of complex software is perfect.

The Github issue tracking page can be found here.

-Alex

Tarkus

The NAM does not change drive side.  All that installing RHD in an LHD game will do is give you a screwed up LHD game.  You'll need to change the registry in order to change drive side.

-Alex

eggman121

First of all thank you for all your hard work than has gone into NAM 31.1 Nam team. I know there must have been many sleepless nights over this release.

One issue I have found is that the DBE for the dual tile networks utilizing the RHW 2 tool won't override to an avenue bridge as it use to in NAM 30 as shown in the picture below.

While legacy bridges remain intact (that is DBE avenue bridges built with NAM 30) bridges built with NAM 31 won't override. This is my two cents anyway. Keep up the good work!

Tarkus

Download locked.  Seems somehow the diag-to-orth transitions on RHW networks are zorked--how the heck that happened, I have no freaking clue.  Download locked until I have time to fix it tonight.

-Alex

selles

Thanks for all your hard work NAM team.

After trying a couple of configurations of the new 31.1, I found a couple of bugs.

PS under diagonal elevated heavy rail causes the yellow middle line to revert to the shoulder for one tile on each side, but it looks like the pathing is still okay.

MIS intersecting with diagonal MAVE has some path issues.

I tried to remedy that by having the MIS intersecting with diagonal OWR, but that caused some path glitches as well.

Garion63

Quote from: Tarkus on April 16, 2013, 07:44:54 AM
The NAM does not change drive side.  All that installing RHD in an LHD game will do is give you a screwed up LHD game.  You'll need to change the registry in order to change drive side.

-Alex

Foolish mistake on my part.  Reinstalled SC4, and totally forgot about fixing the LHD.  :-[

j-dub

Yeah, I also noticed MIS T's to diagonal avenue seem to be wacked, and not to mention the limitations for MIS to MIS T angles now.

QuoteThe NAM does not change drive side.  All that installing RHD in an LHD game will do is give you a screwed up LHD game.  You'll need to change the registry in order to change drive side.

-Alex
Thanks for clearing that up, but this wouldn't be the first time, on numerous occasions, I have been asked about that, or seen it mentioned in the community time and time again, but can not recall if this was explained during the installation process, due to how big of an install it presently is. This thing has too much to take into it these days.

Thanks to everyone for their patience, and even more thanks to those for finding stuff. Hopefully this,
http://youtu.be/kPHecxJhTRI
returns the favor to help building a little more tighter interchanges without MIS to OWR for the time being.

rivit

Ran my audit tool (SC4DataNode) over this install - in general quite kosher, however someone knowledgeable of the whole should run it over a complete setup to verify.

Most errors are associated with missing props or models and T21s. SAM10 has the most missing things.

I have one unreadable exemplar in z___NAM/Maxis HIghway override/T21 overrides.dat  it is 28E70000. It is unreadable in Reader and will snag the DatPacker. This needs to be checked/rectified to avoid weirdness.

Ron

jdenm8

Quote from: rivit on April 16, 2013, 06:35:26 PM
SAM10 has the most missing things.

From memory, that's as to be expected, the T21s made by Moonlight for the network are very pretty, but have a long list of dependencies. The idea was that if you had those deps they'd appear automatically but it would still look correct without them.

As for the override, I have the feeling it's the one for Diagonal EMHWY. I'll take a closer look at it.
The MHWY Override T21 that's corrupt is the one for the highway sign. I don't think having it corrupt will make too much of a difference since we don't want that T21 to be loaded anyway.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

rivit

Have you confirmed its corrupt?. It may not be an important T21 all up, but its there for a reason -  presumably to suppress the original Maxis one. As its unreadable SC4 probably ignores it (the override) thus failing to do what was intended..

For me more pressing is that it crashes DatPacker. Given that the greatest gain is in consolidating texture overrides (and there are up to 4 in some parts, more if you have your own) this is definitely a desirable for those who want to keep there plugins at a minimum volume. And in any case is it not quality that we are pursuing?

memo

Quote from: jdenm8 on April 16, 2013, 07:24:40 PM
Quote from: rivit on April 16, 2013, 06:35:26 PM
SAM10 has the most missing things.

From memory, that's as to be expected, the T21s made by Moonlight for the network are very pretty, but have a long list of dependencies. The idea was that if you had those deps they'd appear automatically but it would still look correct without them.

The SAM-10-T21s should be an exact copy of the SAM-9 ones. Moonlingth's original T21s could not be included because of the large amount of dependencies.

k808j

@Rivit- I thought it was a bad idea to Datpack the NAM?

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

teddyrised

Quote from: k808j on April 17, 2013, 04:37:33 AM
@Rivit- I thought it was a bad idea to Datpack the NAM?

Not really. As long as you keep the unpacked NAM somewhere in your computer, just in case you need to add/remove plugins and the likes.

I have also tried to datpack the NAM, but it always get stuck at the MWH folder - I have therefore datpacked all the other folders except for the Project Symphony folder. Everything works just as fine and sublime ;)

noahclem

Datpacking the NAM should be technically safe but could lead to a number of problems if users don't do it the right way and pay close attention when upgrading to future NAM versions. Obviously don't datpack the NAM in with the rest of your plugins and remove your NAM datpack before upgrading. For those reasons it's probably not worth the effort, inconvenience, and potential for errors for most users. Also z's new smart installer detects your current settings and bases your default install for the next version based on them, a functionality you'd lose with dat-packing. I don't do it and wouldn't recommend it, but can't promise that it will harm you either.

bernds

With 31.1, I'm a first-time user of NAM (with a fairly minimal install so far). I've noticed the following small issues:

• Trying to use a SAM piece gives me a tooltip "SAM Texture Set 1 (not installed)"; the "not installed" message is shown for every texture set I can cycle through, but the streets appear to function as intended when placed.
  • The "Custom Interchanges" button in the highways menu appears not to do anything. Could be that I haven't installed the component, but then the button shouldn't be there.
  • The three-way rail intersections (one straight, two diagonal) I'd placed in my city previously appear different now, connecting the straight to the diagonals but I seem to have lost the connection between the two diagonals. Is this a graphical issue only or do I need to drag an extra piece to add the extra connection (which is unfortunate as the empty square often contains subway stops in my city)?
  • I seem to be unable to construct the second of the wide-radius curve patterns shown in section 3.11.1.3 (using roads - the equivalent street pattern works). All the other ones work.
  • Existing elevated rail and subway stations have the default capacities, newly placed ones get higher ones. Is this intentional?

Edit: I just noticed that orthogonal elevated rail x normal railroad intersections (and elevated rail x Maxis ground highway) appear to have a missing texture (that's how I interpret the four black/red/blue/green squares).
Edit 2: I've noticed I can drag elevated rail along a road. Doing this will make the road disappear so it appears not to be a useful feature (like constructing elevated rail over road as one might expect).

MandelSoft

Have you checked if you actually have these components installed? Run the installer again and select this time the custom installation. This will recognise what components you have installed.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

z

Quote from: bernds on April 17, 2013, 08:21:16 AM
Existing elevated rail and subway stations have the default capacities, newly placed ones get higher ones. Is this intentional?

Yes; there is no way to change the capacities of stations that have already been plopped.  The recommended procedure is to bulldoze the old stations and replop them.

eugenelavery

Moonlight's BTM and ELR mods do not intersect RHW networks without reverting back to maxis textures.  Is this a problem or are they not meant to?  Moonlight seemed to say they should be able to cross ok.

z

Quote from: eugenelavery on April 17, 2013, 05:36:42 PM
Moonlight's BTM and ELR mods do not intersect RHW networks without reverting back to maxis textures.  Is this a problem or are they not meant to?  Moonlight seemed to say they should be able to cross ok.

Well, they should, but they clearly don't.  This is especially problematic for the BTM, which reverts to the completely different-looking monorail network for the crossing.  We'll put this on our bug list.

eugenelavery

Thanks for clarifying that they are indeed meant to cross RHW networks and retain their modified textures.