• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Palace of Westminster (lookalike)

Started by imoutofusernameideas, February 07, 2016, 02:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

belfastsocrates

Quote from: mgb204 on February 07, 2016, 01:27:08 PM

I stuck some goodies in a folder GrfeSeasonalT21. Assuming you like HD Seasonal Flora, I don't think these will disappoint. It's at a very early stage though :).

I do like and I'm loving it! Certainly doesn't disappoint
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

mgb204

Quote from: imoutofusernameideas on February 07, 2016, 10:13:54 PM
@bombardiere and mgb: Those models look great, it would be lovely to have those as a SC4 version. It's a pity I'm so useless with this stuff, I would have been glad to help. If there is anything you can think of that I can do, please let me know.

Thanks for the offer, but whatever happens it might be a while before anything is done with them.

I've received the models to look at just now, a cursory glance tells me there is some potential here. Don't go expecting anything too great, but with a little magic, some nightlights and some texture work, I think it's possible to bring them up to an acceptable standard. Barring better quality models being made, it would be nice to have an approximation of Buckingham Palace and Westminster Palace, if nothing else.

Quote from: belfastsocrates on February 08, 2016, 12:08:40 PM
I do like and I'm loving it! Certainly doesn't disappoint

:D - I hope I can get somewhere with this before T21ing gets to me. When I made the SAM7 mod, I was sick to the sight of them near the end. I'd still like to work on a full UK T21 mod at some point, I just don't know if I can stay motivated to see it through &mmm.

cmdp123789

MGB, do you mind sharing those files with me too? I really would love to have them.. they look really good, and the RTMT doesn't really provide a realistic UK type of props.

reddonquixote

Hmmm.. I've been thinking more and more about Palace of Westminster lately, and after reading all of these posts I decided to do a quick rough-in to see what I'd be getting myself in for if I did decide to do it  :D

As far as I can tell, a realistically scaled model would be 17x10 SC4 tiles, and would therefore probably need to be made into smaller models and pieced together. I still need to do a bit more planning and research but if no-one else minds I might give it a go...

Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

heartless

mgb204

Quote from: reddonquixote on February 08, 2016, 05:57:37 PM
I still need to do a bit more planning and research but if no-one else minds I might give it a go...

Mind? No I don't think I'd mind at all  :clap:. We are not worthy and all that ;).

Quote from: cmdp123789 on February 08, 2016, 04:39:36 PM
MGB, do you mind sharing those files with me too? I really would love to have them.. they look really good, and the RTMT doesn't really provide a realistic UK type of props.

They are in an attachment a few posts back. Also, they will be an option in RTMT 4, along with Bombardiere's K6 Red Box ;).

seraf

Hmmm.. I've been thinking more and more about Palace of Westminster lately, and after reading all of these posts I decided to do a quick rough-in to see what I'd be getting myself in for if I did decide to do it  :D

As far as I can tell, a realistically scaled model would be 17x10 SC4 tiles, and would therefore probably need to be made into smaller models and pieced together. I still need to do a bit more planning and research but if no-one else minds I might give it a go...

If you are getting into it then I'm backing out ;)

Similar to reddon, after reading your posts yesterday I started thinking about actually making it. I did my research long time ago so I just needed to start modeling work. It actually goes much easier than I thought (at least with the clock tower), maybe because of my work with Hogwarts.

bombardiere

Oh dear.  &apls It would be so great  &hlp I will cheer for you RDQ. You have skills to make a truly marvellous building. But it is up to you if you choose to take this task. Anyway you have made already a huge contribution with St Paul and other splendid work. :)

vester

RDQ: That is some project you set for yourself.  :thumbsup:
About the lot size, have look at Yoder's Hungarian Parliament.
Its has a lot size of 18 x 13 tiles. Can't remember precisely what he did to make it work. 

EDIT: Had a look in the private board, but no luck there. I fear it was lost when the private forum went dead.

imoutofusernameideas

24 hours offline and this happens?!  :o

Is it too early to start having wet dreams?  :bnn:

I think I can speak for everybody when I say that this would most certainly bust my tits.  :bnn:

seraf

So, I was curious how much detail would be visible on this building. Apparently not too much :P Here are first stories of the Clock Tower:

Right SD - left - HD size.

And here is the model scaled up to 200% and rendered in HD:

What a pity :(

reddonquixote

That's a beautiful start! I'm curious to know where did you get good references for the ground tier, I'm struggling to find anything clear below the second tier...

Yeah, BAT-scale is the curse of detailed modelling, but I always think even though you can't visibly make out all the details, they do make for a better model in the end - they still contribute to the overall aesthetic somehow.

oh, Ps. - Thanks for the encouragement so far  :thumbsup:
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

JP Schriefer

Wow who will make Palace of Westminster?!
Great start, Seraf!

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: vester on February 09, 2016, 07:28:29 AM
RDQ: That is some project you set for yourself.  :thumbsup:
About the lot size, have look at Yoder's Hungarian Parliament.
Its has a lot size of 18 x 13 tiles. Can't remember precisely what he did to make it work. 

EDIT: Had a look in the private board, but no luck there. I fear it was lost when the private forum went dead.
I've relotted that building myself, so I can tell you that Yoder rendered the two wings of the building separately and modded them into props. Only the midsection is the actual building.

Great work so far, reddon and Seraf! While I may not have a ton of use for a Palace of Westminster BAT in my own regions, there are plenty of people who will be very happy with the outstanding job that you'll do (as you do with all your BATs).

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

cmdp123789

AMAZING! I know that if someone can really pull this off.. well its you RDQ! I am eager to see what the outcome of this project is.

And seraf, wow, like always..  &apls

imoutofusernameideas

I hardly dare ask since the fact that you're doing this is already out of this world. But... what are you planning to do with the lights? Will you go with the standard Maxis lighting? Or the IRL lights (with the green above the clock)? Personally, I've always been a fan of the more classic lights, without the green and the clock lighting up in this yellowish/beige hue:

EDIT: I didn't know this forum does not automatically rescale an image that is too large, so here is a link:
http://www.roffsmithphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Big-Ben-23.jpg

In my opinion the green lights (especially in combination with London eye on the other side of the river) always make this part of London's embankment look like a giant fairground, but of course it's up to you.

seraf

Ok guys, I decided to give it a go. That being said, I hope reddon will too :P I have some plans of my own for this building and not everyone might like them ;) One of them is of course making version from around ~1900 rather than modern day version.

imoutofusernameideas

Quote from: seraf on February 15, 2016, 02:01:33 AM
Ok guys, I decided to give it a go. That being said, I hope reddon will too :P I have some plans of my own for this building and not everyone might like them ;) One of them is of course making version from around ~1900 rather than modern day version.

Yay!  :bnn: 1900 works for me. Imo much more beautiful and sophisticated than the modern thing. Kudos to you!

mgb204

One minute we're discussing bodging together whatever we can get our hands on, next you've two great batters interested in making the model  :bnn:

Seriously though, I know how much work modelling is, but this one vital missing link I'm sure will be very popular. I'd be happy with either the modern or 1900's version frankly, I'm sure either would still make a more realistic London city. I might have a go at making Westminster Bridge, this thread has had some exciting developments :D.

bombardiere

Quote from: seraf on February 15, 2016, 02:01:33 AM

Yea! I would be very happy for 1900 version. Period for me  :D Although I don't know how big the differencies are between modern and Victorian one.

Just remember to put the bong sound inside the Big Ben  :D