• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Traffic Simulator Help

Started by jplumbley, January 29, 2008, 03:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat

Welcome to page 2!

That's very great! Wonderful work on it! And I will use it... ;) (Thanks)

Palpatine001

For of all

YOU COST ME $1m

$1m in fixing a inner core highway system that was built pre rush hour days and did not have a major overhaul until now  :P

So for that you get the Palpatine  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for allowing the arteries to be cleared and Solaria to breath easy again as commuting takes a more realistic and managable approach.

In saying that I have to play around with 1000km of subway way now  %wrd

Great work  ;D ()stsfd()
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother

jondor

This is the first time I've posted here (or at Simtropolis for that matter), but I've been a big fan of the NAM since the Jan 2007 release. I was poking around the simulator files  while cleaning up some of the other mods I have installed and I noticed a problem:

In at least Simulator A on easy (non-Park and Ride), the OWR capacity is set to 13500 instead of 5600.  I haven't checked the other files, so it might be worth a look into them as well.

Thanks for the great work on these simulator parameters, they're making the game a lot more playable for me!  :thumbsup:
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

capo

When I read about this file I really want to install it, however I do have one question. Will this file conflict with the Road Top Mass Transit (RTMT v350) also available on the LEX?

The complete history of Evergem ->My Mayor Diary <-
Come and visit Paroch Plein!

rickmastfan67

Just wondering, has anybody noticed a slowdown of the automata on the RHW system after installing the new simulators?  It seems that it was the only network effected.  Heck, the traffic on a nearby street is moving faster than the traffic on the RHW, and that is messed up.  Oh, and this was with Simulator A_Easy of Jason's.
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

debutterfly

yea I've noticed that..."Warning Science Content" It makes me think, are we seeing cars that are going close to the speed of light with respect to the cars? Note: As you approach the speed of light, the surroundings seem to slow down with respect to you.

jplumbley

Quote from: jondor on January 31, 2008, 01:29:48 AM
This is the first time I've posted here (or at Simtropolis for that matter), but I've been a big fan of the NAM since the Jan 2007 release. I was poking around the simulator files  while cleaning up some of the other mods I have installed and I noticed a problem:

In at least Simulator A on easy (non-Park and Ride), the OWR capacity is set to 13500 instead of 5600.  I haven't checked the other files, so it might be worth a look into them as well.

Thanks for the great work on these simulator parameters, they're making the game a lot more playable for me!  :thumbsup:

Thanks I made the fix and reuploaded it... So anyone using the "Easy" version of any of the Simulators, you must re-download and re-install.

Quote from: capo on January 31, 2008, 04:36:29 AM
When I read about this file I really want to install it, however I do have one question. Will this file conflict with the Road Top Mass Transit (RTMT v350) also available on the LEX?

RTMT v350, Ive never downloaded it myself.  But it will not conflict with the Simulator.  However, it is not the greatest thing for a proper Simulation to have RTMT.  The reason is they are TE Lots.  TE Lots are Stations, and whenever a car enters a TE Lot the Maximum Commute Time "clock" gets reset and starts causing more and more issues with your physical pathfinding.  Not to mention, these lots probably have not been given a Transit Switch Cost which accurately reflects what the actual Transit Switch Cost should be to prevent "short-cutting".  I cannot stop you from using them, but they are not the greatest thing for your Simulation.

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 31, 2008, 05:23:48 AM
Just wondering, has anybody noticed a slowdown of the automata on the RHW system after installing the new simulators?  It seems that it was the only network effected.  Heck, the traffic on a nearby street is moving faster than the traffic on the RHW, and that is messed up.  Oh, and this was with Simulator A_Easy of Jason's.

That stuff is controlled by the Automata, not the Simulator.  The Traffic Automata Exemplar, is a separate mod.  But it would be named something like "NAM_Automata_Plugin_Standard"... You may have had the 24 hour one installed, I have the Standard one, but it has nothing to do with this.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

rickmastfan67

Quote from: jplumbley on January 31, 2008, 09:11:41 PM
That stuff is controlled by the Automata, not the Simulator.  The Traffic Automata Exemplar, is a separate mod.  But it would be named something like "NAM_Automata_Plugin_Standard"... You may have had the 24 hour one installed, I have the Standard one, but it has nothing to do with this.

Then you should alert people the cleanatol file tells them to eliminate them. :P
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Crissa

Since parking is needed for more of these simulators; is there road pieces parking garages/lots that we can build or grow to fit the needs?

I recall not finding that many garage options aside from 'cheater' super-garages on the stex...

-Crissa

jplumbley

@Crissa, I will try to make a set of low capacity parking lots.... But it wont be for a bit of time.  There are those "cheater" lots and I think there are a few others out there, but I have not started using the parking lot mod until I physically have time to build the lots I feel are good for myself and then I will release them to the public.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

wouanagaine

I'm using gshmail 1x3 parkings and NDEX parkings
However the NDEX one are used as shortcuts by the simulator, so I plop them in specific locations where I'm sure this won't happen

You'll may also need some rural parking by PEG for your farmland

And you only really need them if you're using the Park&Ride option

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

snorrelli

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 31, 2008, 09:35:31 PM
Then you should alert people the cleanatol file tells them to eliminate them. :P

Yes - actually I wondered if it was necessary for the automata plugin to go as well. The Cleanitol file does remove it along with the pathfinding/capacity/speed plugin...
Have you ever had the Prop Pox? Join us to help find a vaccine or a cure.

Totuna e dac-ai murit flăcău ori moş îngârbovit;
Dar nu-i totuna leu să mori ori câine-nlănţuit.

el_cozu

What's up...

hey i have a question... Which would you recomend me to install... when i load the installer... how can i get it to work at its best?

let's say "traffic sim A"... and the "Park n Ride A" should i install both... or just one of them... cuz i installed just the "traffic sim A" in easy... and it doesnt seem to work... or is just me :-[

jplumbley

Quote from: el_cozu on February 01, 2008, 07:43:53 AM
What's up...

hey i have a question... Which would you recomend me to install... when i load the installer... how can i get it to work at its best?

let's say "traffic sim A"... and the "Park n Ride A" should i install both... or just one of them... cuz i installed just the "traffic sim A" in easy... and it doesnt seem to work... or is just me :-[

First off you should only have one Simulator File installed that is why only one is selectable in the instller.

I am not sure what you are looking for in a city.  If you want to go with the Park and Ride Version you must remember that installing this will require parking lots near your jobs otherwise your sim will be forced to walk the entire distance or take MT.  I have started a new city myself and I have choosen to use the "Simulator A - Hard" because it will be more functional at lighter densities than the "Simulator A - Easy" due to the physical amount of congestion, that and it will allow me to start building a much more stable network while my city grows before I change the capacities to "Simulator A - Medium".  IF you start with "hard" in a new city and get a half decent population of about 250k Sims I would say your doing pretty darn good and learning to build a fairly stable network system.  For older cities, that have a large population of over 1 million I would suggest just starting with the "Easy" and fixing the areas that are causing congestion issues.  Remember you are also installing my new Congestion Data View Color Ramp which portrays a more accurate Congestion map.  Everything kind depends also on what you had your previous NAM_Traffic_Plugin set at.  Essentially, "Easy" would probably be equal to an effective 6x Capacity for Mass Transit Networks and 3x Capacity for Road based networks, but more efficient so they work better as a whole.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

el_cozu

thanks for the advice...

I have some kind of proyect about not modular but intersection puzzle piece in highways...

I'll make my drawings then post them... and maybe some of you might be interested in this proyect i have in mind...

I started to think this since the MIS is kinda hard to use... then why not using puzzle pieces at intersections...

like... U turns... right turns, Exits... so you can actually combine between Stacks and Cloverleafs... maybe half-half or... 1 leaf cloverleaf intersection... the other 3 stacks... i hope you know what i mean... I'll make my designs and hopefully someone gets interested by this...

Just zoom in Los Angeles in Google Earth... and you'll see lots of different highway intersections... not just cloverleafs and stacks... but combined

Haljackey

Hmm... I think this new traffic simulator is working a little too well for me. 

City size: ~3 million

Before:

After:

As you can clearly see, the simulator has created an unrealistic traffic flow/capacity for my city streets.  Traffic volumes for each type (car, pedestrian, etc.) have not changed significantly. 

Just as you recommended me to do at Simtropolis, jplumbley, I downloaded Simulator "B", set for "easy", with no "park and ride" installed.  I have also removed the plugin I was using when I was doing testing for you.  Prior to this, I used the standard NAM traffic plugin, and I do not have the CAM.

Would there be any way I could make this more "realistic"?  Or are my networks "all green" with the new traffic data view?  Should I try simulator "A" or a different difficulty setting?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best,
-Haljacley

el_cozu

Quote from: Haljackey on February 01, 2008, 01:30:03 PM
Hmm... I think this new traffic simulator is working a little too well for me. 

City size: ~3 million

Before:

After:

Best,
-Haljacley

Can I ask what's that yellow spot on the first image... the one on the right almost bottom of the picture... looks like some kind of huge transit building

Masochist

Quote from: Haljackey on February 01, 2008, 01:30:03 PM
Would there be any way I could make this more "realistic"?  Or are my networks "all green" with the new traffic data view?  Should I try simulator "A" or a different difficulty setting?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best,
-Haljacley

Not that I really know too much about it, but it's my understanding that Easy increases the capacity of the transit networks to well above the Maxis standards.

The "A" and "B" simulators seem to allow for longer commutes...I don't think that would necessarily have a direct effect on congestion (though I could be wrong).  And the new DataView mod makes your congestion more apparent, so if you have that installed and all you see is green, then your streets are less likely to be congested.

With the "Easy" plugin installed, your capacities are WAY higher than normal, so it would take a lot more to actually congest your roads.  If you want more congestion, I'd get a higher difficulty level.

Again, that's just a suggestion based on observations...

<Edit>
Took out the capacities chart.  They're on the top of the page...;)

(Under Construction)

Haljackey

el_cozu: That is the WTC (Word Trade Centre) lot.  Other than being a large building, it is also a large pedestrian mall, and contains a subway station at the core.

Masochist: Thanks for the help, but I already know that!  :P

My city has around 3 million residents, and jplumbley recommended me to install simulator B at easy over at Simtropolis because I wanted the new simulator to represent the old standard simulator in the NAM as best as possible.

I am thinking of switching to "medium" difficulty, because, just like you stated, my capacities are WAY higher than normal.  For a city of that size, traffic congestion should occur at least SOME parts of the city.  I just wanted to know what I should do before I make my next move.  Thanks anyways!

Best,
-Haljackey

jplumbley

@Haljackey... I do know exactly which mod each person should install on a case by case basis.  If you would like to see more congestion, I would suggest going to one of the harder difficulties.  I have not suggested one Simulator over the other because it really doesnt matter they are both balanced properly.  Simulator "A" will allow your Sims to drive further which may give you more congestion but allow your Sims to go further.  Simulator "B" will keep your Sims travelling at the same distance the original MAXIS Simulator had, which is short compared to Simulator "A".  I myself prefer Simulator "A", since I built it.

It also depends on what Simulator you had installed before.  You said you had the Standard NAM one, this is pretty impressive because most people use one of the higher capacities to get a 3 million large city.  The closest thing to your Capacity levels are the "Hard" settings.  You have already created a suitable Network System for the "Hard" version, not many people have been able to do that.  The Capacities of "Hard" are still higher compared to the Standard version,  Streets have 1000, compared to 100, all the MT line have 6000 compared to 2000.  So your Network System will benefit in these areas, especially if you have alot of MT.  If an MT line is under used, the Sims may start to use it more and take away from the car traffic.

Street Addon Mod - SAM