• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RAM Request Thread

Started by CasperVg, February 10, 2008, 12:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejc

and make the platforms minimal 8 or 10 tiles long.. almost all stations are to small compare to train-lengths nowadays

E

Frankie

I'd like to stop by and say that this is most certainly not a station-addon set, I highly doubt any lots will be included in the RAM. The RAM is intended to improve the default NETWORK, not stations. Bridges, signals, and crossing systems, and things of that nature will be considered, but please do not request stations, as that qualifies as a general BAT request.

Quote from: kassarc16 on February 11, 2008, 11:19:32 PMAs for regular rail, maybe draggable railyards, using T-21s for railcar props?

I like that idea...

Quote from: T1 on February 11, 2008, 03:36:05 PM
I'd like to request... some cool moving bridges. Maybe some functioning roundhouses, more trains on the track, and some other cool accessories.

I also like this idea. At one point, I attempted to make a mod that increased visual traffic (there are lots already available that do just that now). A train lengthening mod might be feasible (most North American freight trains are over a mile long..might need to scale that down a bit for SC4 though).

Quote from: jpj_starfleet on February 11, 2008, 05:37:49 PM
I would like to request a draw or swing bring so we don't have to go so high up on terran to cross a river or bay, many crossing are done on these type of bridges like in Chicago, this may be just a regular request on the request forum but since you guys are working just on rail I'd thought I'd ask... :thumbsup:

I would like to try and make some new rail bridges, however I'm not sure how I would go about doing it. I had two styles in mind, an older style lift bridge, and a more realistic truss bridge

Yoman

Quote from: Frankie on February 12, 2008, 01:04:43 PM
I would like to try and make some new rail bridges, however I'm not sure how I would go about doing it. I had two styles in mind, an older style lift bridge, and a more realistic truss bridge

Go check out Jrj's excellent tutorial on how to make bridges in the Bridge Engineering section  ;)

Glenni

This is actually about the models, and not the rail textures themselves, as in SAM you will have to plop down a puzzle piece,right? Well, what if this puzzle piece enabled a stetch of the rail that had overhead wires and such? If you need models for that i could try, allthough i would need every single turn texture extracted so i can use that as guidance for doing the models of the wires for curves, intersections etc.

What do you think, is it a good idea?

Jasoncw

I don't have anything specific, but just if you guys work on elevated rails or embankments, or that kind of stuff, to make the heights more realistic.

Whatever a common height (I suppose different places have different standards), x133% (to visually correct the proportions in the game) should be the height.

The current height is too high to make reasonable under/overpasses, or embanked train stations.

ejc

Quote from: caspervg on February 12, 2008, 09:38:07 AM
I hope you guys get what I mean?
If I understand correct, you are looking for embanked rail stations?

Like this one (Ghent St. Pieters - Gand St. Pierre in Belgium, Ghent)

(back entrance, sort of showing that the tracks are on the roof of the building)
I would love this building to be batted somehow...

yes, that is exactly what I mean... thanks for exp. it with a picture

dragonshardz

@Jasoncw: the current height for ingame elevated networks is 15 meters, if we times that by 133%...then the height would be 299.25 meters. If one story of a building is 2.3 meters, then the elevated networks would be at...about 130 stories above ground level.

"Hey mom, look, it's the roof of the Empire State Building!"

EDIT: Of course this is assuming my math isn't off, which it was. I never have gotten the hang of percentages.

JoeST

uh... can I correct your maths, JasonCW multiplied it by a percentage: 133% which is actualy only 1.33 times the size they are currently which would make them about 20m off ground

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Andreas

What Jason meant was the common height in real life - the BATs for elevated stations would have to comply with the standard 16 m height of the elevated rails in the game, unless someone creates models for a more realistic height (compared to RL). Rail viaducts in RL cities are maybe 5 or 6 meters high, with the 33% upscaling that is necessary for better proportions in the game, this would be something around 8 meters. ardecila was working on such models, but I don't know if he ever finished them.
Andreas

Jonathan

Quote from: Glenni on February 12, 2008, 04:11:09 PM
This is actually about the models, and not the rail textures themselves, as in SAM you will have to plop down a puzzle piece,right? Well, what if this puzzle piece enabled a stetch of the rail that had overhead wires and such? If you need models for that i could try, allthough i would need every single turn texture extracted so i can use that as guidance for doing the models of the wires for curves, intersections etc.

What do you think, is it a good idea?

So you mean build the wires and canteneries into the rail network and not have them using T21s?
That might work with the slopes and the wires,etc would be in better detail.

Tarkus

Quote from: Warrior on February 13, 2008, 11:48:20 PM
So you mean build the wires and canteneries into the rail network and not have them using T21s?
That might work with the slopes and the wires,etc would be in better detail.

Well, the one issue you may run into at that point is the game's polygon count limit.  redlotus, in his Interchange Tutorial, came to the conclusion that this number was in the 500-600 range.  And since the models for transit network pieces are rendered differently (in true 3D, as opposed to being converted into isometric faces through the BAT Plugin), the limits are reached much more quickly, as the normal isometric way reduces the poly count greatly (as it shows only sides of the model). 

Going over the limit will simply result in pieces of the model disappearing, though I've personally had some weird glitches which caused CTDs as well. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

Swamper77

Not to mention True3D models do not cast shadows like Maxis/BAT building/prop models. ;)

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

Glenni

Well.. it depends how low poly the models are, but nevermind that, not a good idea after all.

So what if you were going to make the props and T21 them then, would that work? &mmm

Diggis

the wires wouldn't work with any slopes.

Glenni

Well yeah, i know that, and i suppose it wouldn't be that great to only be able to use the wire addon for flat land only..

memo

Well, perhaps there is a way to make the wires work with slopes, since it works for the props of the El-Rail Facelift Mod as well.

Andreas

It might work for slopes that are not too steep, but I don't think it's feasible, esp. since the wires are very thin, so every misalignment would stick out like a sore thumb. Then better leave the wires out (and use your imagination for them), the catenary poles should be enough for creating the illusion. :)
Andreas

Diggis

Just out of curiosity has anyone ever discovered how the ones for the power pylons work?

Andreas

As far as I know, they're controlled by the EXE.
Andreas

Jonathan

The canteneries could be added with T21s then just the small wires added to the rail.
This would reduce the number of polys. And still have the wires at any slope that rail can be laid at.