• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BSC Re-Creations - Dita's Repair Shop

Started by xxdita, March 04, 2008, 01:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xxdita

There is so much custom content for SC4 available on the internet these days, and while a lot of it looks really good, for one reason or another, it just doesn't work. Or at least, it doesn't work the way it should. And I don't just mean not CAMified yet.
I'm talking about queries that don't show up. Functional landmarks that just aren't. The slew of empty growable landmarks.
No custom content comes with a guarantee, but what's the point of any of it if it doesn't work when you try to play using it? Any custom content released should be some sort of an enhancement to gameplay.

So, in this thread, with the help of some friends, I will be putting the "fun" back into the dysfunctional, and seeing what I can do to get these to work in the game, the way they really should.

Hopefully, the original creators of the lots will be paying attention and following along, so that they can learn a little along the way. No need for anyone to be a Repeat Offender.

Once finished, all of my fixed lots will go for scrutineering, to make sure that they do indeed work the way they should, without any problems at all, and then once approved, will be available on the LEX. For those of you without your own scrutineering posse, always at least try to use your new lot in game, and send it to a friend to double check, before you upload it anywhere, so that you don't have to worry about nasty comments plaguing your files, or maybe worse, seeing your lot here in my thread  :P

So now, let's get on with it, starting with one of the inspirations for this thread, HDIP Single Furnace Steel Mill by fukuda, available on the STEX.

Though reworked once by fukuda, the mill was still plagued with modding problems, and the download has been locked for well over a month now. But of course, I'm too stubborn to just give up on a lot that looks this good. Fukuda's Industrial bats are very detailed, and look exceptional in-game. But the query showed no jobs for my city, as it claimed, and no wealth of any sort, though the lot produced enough pollution to make Al Gore want to make a second film on Global Warming.

Opening the file in Reader shows a couple of, to me, fairly obvious things overlooked. The first I noticed was the Occupant Type, to allow the lot to have jobs, or the Occupant Group for Industrial Dirty, Manufacturing or High Tech to determine what type of jobs the lot will offer. I consider a steel mill to be a manufacturer, so let's set the OG and OT to IM, and change the lot wealth to Medium to reflect that.
Time to get the air pollution under control. 512 over 112 is just way too high. Let's lower that a bit.
A few other tweaks here and there, just to fix up some of the stats, and we now have a functional lot.

Isn't that much better?

All that's left to do is a proper ReadMe, package it up, make a Cleanitol to get rid of the old file, zip it all up and get it to the scrutineers.

If you find any lots out there that look great, but just don't work, give me the link and I'll take a look.

Edit:
For all of my fixed files, you will need xxdita essentials for the custom query.

Finished Projects:
fukuda's HIDP Jamison Steel Mill
BriPizza's Kougyouteki Industrial

Diggis

Great idea.  It's a sad waste to see such great BAT's that don't work.  &apls

Meastro444

i second that! great work xxdita, keep it going and 'repair' more faulty lots ;)

one question, will it be campatible and regular-patible?
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

xxdita

The new lot is still a plop, so it will work with or without CAM. I didn't see a need in making a 9x31 growable.  :P

HandsOn

So, now that its fixed - when will the file be unlocked?

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook

xxdita

Quote from: xxdita on March 04, 2008, 01:46:25 AM
Once finished, all of my fixed lots will go for scrutineering, to make sure that they do indeed work the way they should, without any problems at all, and then once approved, will be available on the LEX.

As for the original upload, your guess is as good as mine.  ::)

Andreas

You'd probably have to remove the railroad tracks (or at least the TE), but having such a massive building as a growable would be interesting as well. It's nice to see someone else stepping into that direction - reminds me of T Wrecks when he started his "career" as a modder. :)
Andreas

HandsOn

Quote from: xxdita on March 04, 2008, 02:53:21 AM
As for the original upload, your guess is as good as mine.  ::)

That's really a shame, because I think (I do that from time to time) a service like yours was long overdue. I keep coming across quite a bit of locked stuff, and lots that never quite worked as intended. Great job. Thanks

xxdita

Some of the locked files on the STEX have merely been updated and moved to the LEX, especially in the case of BSC members. As for the ones that just don't work, let me at 'em!  :P

Diggis

Won't we need the original download to use this?  ()what()

HandsOn

Quote from: xxdita on March 04, 2008, 03:39:47 AM
Some of the locked files on the STEX have merely been updated and moved to the LEX, especially in the case of BSC members. As for the ones that just don't work, let me at 'em!  :P
What happens to BATs or LOTs where the original owner isn't "among us" or cannot be contacted. There's the case of Daddyo117272's UHaul Bonus Pack. Some of it works, some of it doesn't (two signs in particular). Although I have all the listed dependencies (and reinstalled the lot several times), the signs still show brown boxes. Thought first it might be because of a Maxis update, but I have those, too.

And yes: wouldn't you need the cooperation of the author?  %confuso

RippleJet

Quote from: Diggis on March 04, 2008, 03:58:11 AM
Won't we need the original download to use this?  ()what()

The original lot was locked, but not the models which are in prop packs! :)

Diggis

Excellent.  That is good news.  I have just the place for this.  &apls

xxdita

HandsOn - Check the file in SC4Tool to make sure all dependencies were actually listed. Daddyo could have missed something. If that doesn't show anything, then I'd suggest relotting any missing props, or just deleting them altogether in Lot Editor.

As far as MIA creators, that all depends on the situation.

And yes, only the lot has been locked, all of the dependencies are still available.

I've updated the steel mill a bit, adjusting some of the values, taking out the transit switch properties entirely. I've made a Stage 7 growable lot, though you'd need to zone 9x31. And both now have a lot more jobs, just over 10,000. It seems more accurate for a steel mill of this size to provide enough jobs for a small town. I've also switched it back to ID.

Andreas

Quote from: xxdita on March 04, 2008, 05:31:31 AM
I've updated the steel mill a bit, adjusting some of the values, taking out the transit switch properties entirely. I've made a Stage 7 growable lot, though you'd need to zone 9x31. And both now have a lot more jobs, just over 10,000. It seems more accurate for a steel mill of this size to provide enough jobs for a small town. I've also switched it back to ID.

Sounds good. :) Personally, I don't mind zoning a 9x31 lot; as long as it saves some space in my overcrowded menus, I'll take it. Also, I-D seems more appropriate for a structure like this. I don't know if a lot with 10,000 industrial jobs will grow if you don't have the CAM, though - for residentials and commercials, the maximum is around 8,000.
Andreas

RippleJet

Quote from: Andreas on March 04, 2008, 05:43:34 AM
I don't know if a lot with 10,000 industrial jobs will grow if you don't have the CAM, though - for residentials and commercials, the maximum is around 8,000.

Since it's a stage 7 lot, it wouldn't grow without the CAM anyways! $%Grinno$%

RebaLynnTS

I'd think, as long as dita gives the orginal author credit for creating the item, there should not be any problems fixing it, and reposting it. Do you need the car makers permission to paint your car, or add custom wheels, or take it to the repair shop?
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

HandsOn

Quote from: RebaLynnTS on March 04, 2008, 05:48:48 AM
I'd think, as long as dita gives the orginal author credit for creating the item, there should not be any problems fixing it, and reposting it. Do you need the car makers permission to paint your car, or add custom wheels, or take it to the repair shop?

;D You ought to have a word with our plumber - he thinks he owns our bathroom!

xxdita: does this mean the steel mill can now be found on the LEX?

Diggis

Patience Grasshopper..  :D

it needs testing first.

RebaLynnTS

Dita: I offer my services, if you need any help.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat