• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 Devotion Requests

Started by jeronij, November 05, 2006, 05:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RippleJet

Quote from: WC_EEND on April 08, 2010, 10:12:16 AM
I don't know wether this has already been suggested or is possible to implement (and how hard it is), but I was just wondering wether it would be possible to make the team badges that certain site members have link to the root board.

eg: NAM team badge links to NAM place, ELBT badge links to ELBT place, etc.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible to link from the badge.
However, I did manage to get a link from the membergroup name above the badge...

For now I've only linked EBLT Team to the EBLT Place.
Let me know if this is good enough, and I'll link the other teams as well. :)

WC_EEND

Quote from: RippleJet on April 20, 2010, 09:05:33 AM
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible to link from the badge.
However, I did manage to get a link from the membergroup name above the badge...

For now I've only linked EBLT Team to the EBLT Place.
Let me know if this is good enough, and I'll link the other teams as well. Smiley

Too bad, then I guess the way you suggested is the next best thing. (just to clarify: I really appreciate that the site admins listen to the suggestions made by other members. I'm just a tad dissapointed that it's not possible the way I imagined it
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

superhands

img this is built in to the software or something(i dont know much about this im afraid)

could we introduce a small box at the top and bottom of each page that has (similar to the jump to box) each page say 1-45 for example which links to that page?
it would save time browsing by 3 pages.

hope this is understandable to read :D

thanks
-dave

RippleJet

Quote from: superhands on October 06, 2010, 07:31:57 AM
could we introduce a small box at the top and bottom of each page that has (similar to the jump to box) each page say 1-45 for example which links to that page?
it would save time browsing by 3 pages.

You can edit the URL address directly for that.

E.g. the address for this topic (without reference to a specific post) is:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6.0

If you go to page 10 (this page), you'd get this address:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6.180

The number after the period in the topic number is the sequential post number within the topic.
Now, since there are 20 posts per page:

Any number between 0 and 19 would refer to page 1.
Any number between 180 and 199 would refer to page 10.

What I do, if e.g. I want to get to page 5, is to multiply 5 by 20 and subtract 10: 5×20-10 = 90.
Thus, see where this takes you:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6.90

rooker1

I wish I had of known about this before.  I won't tell you how I got to certain pages in huge threads before. ::)
Call me Robin, please.

RippleJet

Quote from: rooker1 on October 07, 2010, 06:11:42 AM
I won't tell you how I got to certain pages in huge threads before. ::)

Now I understand why you've got a total login time of more than 190 days... $%Grinno$%

Pat

slowly clicking on the pages and looking threw each one by one I bet lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Haljackey

I have a request regarding image resolutions.

Any chance of increasing the width restrictions any time soon? Currently 1024 pixels is recommended as the maximum, but could this be pushed to 1200 or 1280 pixels? I think most monitors can support this resolution the way most monitors could support 1024 pixels when the site went live in 2006.

A slightly wider limit would help discourage external linking, and keep the flow of the forum more fluent. Not sure what this would do the site's bandwidth as most images are hosted off-site anyway.

Thanks for your time SC4D staff.
-Ryan (Haljackey)

Andreas

Well, people keep posting larger images frequently, and in many cases, the suggested limit is not enforced by the moderators anyway - edits usually happen only if a really large image has been posted. I still think that 1024x768 is a nice size for showing quite a few details, while keeping the loading time within a reasonable timeframe. Even with fast DSL or cable, a page full or large screenshot takes quite a while to load (even more so if someone used huge PNG images), so 1024x768 has always been some kind of compromise.
Andreas

WC_EEND

And the 1024x768 limit is also better for those of us that are viewing the site from a mobile device (smartphone, iPad, that sort of stuff)
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

joelyboy911

On my laptop's 1280 pixel wide screen, 1024 is the width from the margin of the post, to nearly the edge of the screen. Any larger and the image disappears away out the side of the browser.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Mithokey

I really want to change my username for privacy concerns. How do I do so?

smartbylaw

I have a request. I want to be able to change my profile picture but I have to pay money for it! I know it costs money to run a website but you cant let anyone chat there avatar! That is absurd.. sorry but some people dont want to waste money to change an avatar!

Haljackey

Hey I'm wondering if we might be able to get HTML embeds approved for members.

For example I want to post all these images in the highways thread http://imgur.com/a/oiGZc#0 but going one by one will clutter up the thread, and could make it take a long time for the page to load.

Things would be so much easier if I could do a HTML embed like this: http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/21096-show-us-your-highways/?p=1423757 as all the images are in one place. Whenever I enter the HTML embed here nothing happens... and I think that's because only admins are currently able to do it.

I'd love to see this feature added to SC4D! :thumbsup:

FrankU

Hm, yeah that would be nice indeed.
But I certainly would need a tutorial for the dumb in order to be able to set one up!

catty

Quote from: Haljackey on October 22, 2013, 11:48:30 AM
....Whenever I enter the HTML embed here nothing happens... and I think that's because only admins are currently able to do it.

I'd love to see this feature added to SC4D! :thumbsup:

Its certainly something I can't do here, and I got curious and tried it in my own site and I can't do it there either, did a bit of research and found it can be used to hack into a website and do nasty things, so not being able to do this is part of my site setup and I would have to do a lot of background tweaking of the various security programs to allow someone to do this, so if it is restricted to admin staff here at SC4D I'd quite understand why, Its not something I plan on changing on my own site due to the security implications.

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

JoeST

Indeed the security implications are the reason it shouldn't be enabled. Maybe as a perk of being a subscriber? But even then, it's a high-risk.
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

fantozzi

I noticed that on the user's avatar there are those symbols for two genders - derived from the astronomic symbols for mars and venus - so mars in light blue and venus in light pink.

How to say ... it's a little bit old fashioned. Instead for the male gender a hammer and for the female gender a baby carriage would be more progressive.

Jokes apart.

I like to imagine my gender as something floating. Sometime it's like the sea, sometimes it's like the mountains. A symbol is much to static to describe my gender. It is full of surprises.

Could I have an animated bouquet of flowers for my gender?

Something like this:  ()flower()

Second try to put jokes apart:

Suggestion is: to update the symbols with something more modern, unburdened, not refering to old Gods of war and fertility.

Thank you.

matias93

A text field for pronouns, maybe? I think is more useful and flexible, without much technical hassle to implement. Suffice to say, I'll lobby for this on ST, where having it would ease the treatment of new members a lot.

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

jeffryfisher

"Mark all as read" feature has recently acquired an "Are you sure?" popup box. Is there a preference setting somewhere that I can turn that off? I visit unread forum posts every morning, maybe open one "new" link in a new tab, and then mark all as read. The extra dialog is extra wait time and an unnecessary click (for me).

Thanks
Modding PC games since 1993 (back when we needed hex-editors)