• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Neo Byzantinian Empire of Stropon

Started by Strechnitz, April 11, 2007, 12:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guurgkud

hehe yeah it should be fun!

congrats on the two pages.  well deserved, mate  :thumbsup:
]http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7083.0]

Come discover its mysteries...
Tristania // Revisited

Strechnitz

Hello hello,

Wow! I never expected somany replies. It gives a warm feeling :) And yet there is so much I haven't told yet. Well I better hurry up then. I do have a lot of RL going on but I promise to update at least once a week. and more if time allows me. well, lets answer you all.

M4346 Now i'm curious about your scheduled decadence in Elytheria :D About the UDI's I can asure you and everyone else that I won't have them in any future update.      scouts honour ;D

thundercrack83 Thank you very much for your nice comment. there is yet more to come in a few days. About the citadel, wich is nowadays nice but a bit simple, I have a special update planned. viewing the entire history of that spot. It is not finished unfortunately, but check back in a day or 4.

BigSlarkThank you very much for the compliment. I just have a compulsive want for symmetry when it comes to citybuilding. That happily coincides with old european plans for citylayouts. You can do it too. Just try. Or look up some palaces in google earth. That should give you some lay out ideas. ;)

kwakelaar Ouch, I knew Topkapi is only the Ottoman name for them. stupid I did not notice it. Thank you for pointing that out to me. I have corrected it. Thank you for your nice comments.
About the citadel. I plan a seperate update showing the different building stages and the additions/renovations in different era's from 1480 up till today.  The citadel park is verybland yes, I grant you that. Oh well there is always room for some renovations. The stroponian Budget always has room for some enhancements to Imperial dwellings.

belfastuniguy thank you for your comments, they're real moral boosters. I have read your MD with interest as well, haven't commented it yet though. You sure take grand city planning to a higher level.

And on a more formal note: His Imperial Majesty's government thanks you for your invitation to establish diplomatic relations between the two countries. It will be discussed in the Halls of government and the conclusion will be send to you as soon as it is reached. I can say that Stropon wants to rethink the Doctrine Autocracy wich has been the government line for foreign policies since 1918(post 1) and want's to open it's borders. So the chance of an affirmative response is very likely. :)

Yoder7652 What is that? do the heavens burst open like a baroque painting? Do trumpets sound? Angels sing? Aha, it is page two!!! ;D thank you for the formal anouncement :thumbsup: Thank you for the compliment as well. Rewriting history is a fun game indeed. it presuposes that one needs to know the history at least a bit. Than imagination can be set loose. al in the bounderies of public forum content ofcourse. Again, I like your twist on yhe Knights Templar too.  The future impact? We'll see my friend.  But first I'll complete the history. Come to think of it. I haven't even introduced the Glorious leader of this unscrupulous nation. I'll correct that in the next update.

guurgkud thank you for your best wishes mate :thumbsup: I hope it will be fun. all in all there is so much more to come...

Strech.

realdimension

Very scenic! I especially like the citadel, the big square and its surroundings.
Member of the TSC team.
Visit my showcase of modern towers!

Strechnitz

Hello all,

many of you reacted on the Citadel picture. The fortress on Citadel Hill in Strechnitz is the working palace of the Emperor and has been the center of government ever since Stropon was founded in 1472. Now understandably a lot has changed in the course of the centuries. remoddeling, demolition, added extensions, fires, redecorating and what not? So it is safe to say that the tranquil squares and park surrounded by those old sturdy walls is not the same citadel where Victor Otto I the successor of Augustus Heraclius stepped up from the ranks of the Prince Electors and become the first Emperor to govern the Stroponian lands and peoples.

The Imperial Historical Society has delved deep into the 28 square meter of archive shelves that contain drawings, maps, architectural plans, and accounts on everything that happend on Citadel hill related to building activities. They have compiled all interesting events and used the latest technologies available to recreate the different phases of the citadel. This for your entertainment and education ::)

The year of our lord 1480. in 8 years time, wich is a recordtime, the entire medieval cital was erected and completed. the decoration took a bit longer of course, but that goes without saying.

the Strechnitz citadel

A close up of the graveyard and new Strechen Castle.

The quarters of the Imperial Guard (old Strechen Castle) and some servants quarters.

The only previous structures to have survived the building activities were the old Strechen Castle, of the defeated local baron, which became the jail and the quarters for the palaceguards, and the new Strechen Castle wich was used to house the baronial family and entourage. It was the imperial seat for a short time untill the Castle was finished. after which it would house the ministers cabinets as well as the treasury for decades to come.

On the upper right on the overview picture, we see a graveyard where the heroes of the war of reclamation were laid to rest. only nobles and officers ofcourse. soldiers were left to be buried on site of the battlefield. In the middle lies the great square surrounded by the two castles and the servants quarters. On the right stands the Holy annunciation Church. the only building to be clad in white marble. In this church every future child of an emperor will be baptised, after it's born.

On the bottom left we see the stables and on the right the granaries and warehouses containing lifestock and suplies for the court. In the middle the Imperial Stronghold rises up. it's gloomy walls and towers surrounded by a moat. Here lives the imperial family and sleep the noble guests attending court. one can imagine that it would not be a grand occasion. a far cry from the palaces in constantinople. Soon the summer palace in Dampotzen will be built. After which the court will more often than not, leave the citadel to other more comfortable residences. Up and until the great fire of 1598 wich will destroy the Stronghold entirely.

M4346

The images aren't showing up! I don't understand this, although this isn't the first time this happens. I don't think it's the PNG format (because I've never had issues with that), but they just don't work. Not even the direct links.  &mmm

I think it might be image shack because I've been having the same problem with images from image shack from other people too.  ()what()
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Strechnitz

The fires of 1598, started in the kitchens and leaving the court no option than to move to the imperial Estate of Kayserbürgen during the wintermonths. But the rebuilding was soon started. Emperor Victor Augustus I 'the pompous' seized this opportunity to build a real palace. one that would be fit to house an emperor and his frivolous court.

Overview of the gardenfacade.

The palace is built on a large part of the square. While it was built, the remnants of the stronghold, the stables and the warehouses wich were all destroyed in the fire, were removed to make way for the renaisance garden.
The warehouses were incorporated in the cellars of the new palace. On the bottom right are the new servant wings. The court had grown over time needing more servants to serve the nobles and prelates. It was adamant for the Major Domus to fulfill the demand for lackeys and other serfs to ensure that the ever increasing lavish feasts and functions would run smooth. The stables were housed in the old servants quarters in the upper left. between the treasury and the palaceguard building.

The garden facade is pleasantly informal. As not to disturb the reveller of one of the innumerate gardenparties held there, in his revelries. The semi rotund facades hides the grand ballroom. to the right of this are the large salons and galleries for entertaining and receiving. to the left above the arcades are the private appartments of the members of the imperial family and the highest ranking courtiers. And last but not least the stern walls were breached to build a pavilion providing panoramic views on the valley at the foot of Citadel Hill.

On a side note. the pavilion is in line with the grand ballroom, while the garden itself centers around the Emperors Bedroom with the obelisk standing right in front of it. therefore the pavilion 'brakes' the symmetry of the garden.

Overview of the Square facade.

The Palace square was almost halved by the new palace. This in order to make it possible for a garden in the back. The water pool where horses used to drink was replaced by a fountain where Nike the goddes of victory rode a war chariot. It was still used for the horses who drank happily from it as before when it was a murky pool. This palace facade is far mor stately as the gardenfacade. This is to impress the visitor. to remind him that he enters the Hall of the First among equals. and those equals being the top of human hierarchy. The carved sandstone and statuary on the roof stood out against the dark stone medieval walls and buildings. showing the spectator that even the new Constantinople was rooted deep in history.

On the right we see that the graveyard has disappeared. The bodies were exhumated and placed in a subteranean mausoleum on the same spot. This catacomb honoring the brave heroes was sealed with a new Cathedral. The Church of Holy Assencion, it is since then in use as chapel of mourning for members of the imperial family or privileged courtiers.

Thus the span of human life was symbolised by the walk from one cathedral to the other. In the church of Holy Annunciation dedicated to birth and baptism (hence the dedication of the church to the Virgin Mary being announced her pregnancy by the angel) on the east side of the citadel where the sun rises each day, over to the palace in the center which symbolised life, strength et cetera. Over to the new Church of Holy assencion symbol of the end of life and ultimately death. Naturaly this church stands on the west side where the sun sets.

After the opening of the palace on citadel hill in 1620 it once again became the imperial seat during the wintermonths.

Strechnitz

After a period of no big changes some adaptions to the surroundings were made.

In the years to come little changed to the citadel. Most Emperors spent their time and money on Dampotzen palace which was turned from an ordinary summerresidence into a prefiguration of paradise. A true Versailles of the east where the gardens and rooms offered every diversion known to man, the decent as well as the indecent. But Dampotzen is not our subject at hand. In 1675 Empress Louise Martine sat her delicate behind on the golden throne of Stropon. She ordered to erect a statue of her father Emperor Victor Augustus II to commemorate his victories in mesoamerica wich turned Stropon into a colonial power with the aquisition of the Quitaniana colony.

furthermore she abolished the horseback parades wich were in her eyes a shamefull waste of money. Stroponian crowns that were much wiser spent on redecorating the Imperial residences and making a serious effort to acquire an enormous art collection like the other crowned heads in europe were doing. with the horse parades gone the square looked rather empty, just like the enormous Square dedicated to Augustus Heraclius the great at the foot of the hill. So they were both redesigned into formal gardens. I can asure that her reign cost a serious amount of money. But it must be said she was not as thrifty as her predecessors.

Strechnitz

A new century dawned on Europe and the reformation wars were still in full swing. Not so in Stropon. ever since Luther nailed his letter on the churchdoor in Wittenberg Europe had been in turmoil. In Stropon However The emperor has had visions of a new Profet. Simeon the wise. This monk was the founder of a new reformation. one wich would mix different aspects of catholicism and greek orthodoxy into a new religion. Simeonism. The emperor adopted it as the new state religion, and large parts of the populace followed their worldly leader as meek sheeps.

Therefore when the white marble plates fell of the Holy Anunciation Church, Emperor Hector Otto V wasted no time to demolish the drafty derelict building which had become to small anyway, and ordered his architects to build a new cathedral on that spot. So the future emperors could be baptised in a fitting surrounding. The unique reliefs on the marble plates and the priceless frescoes of the saints and apostles were demolished without a second thought. And the building of the Cathedral of the Holy Anunciation began. Now in 1700 the elite apreciated egyptian and roman relics and counted them as works of art. the same historical awareness was no yet created for Byzantine art and architecture. in 1713 finaly the High Archpatriarch of Simeonopole, the holy city of stropon built around the spot where saint Simeon died. came to Citadel hill to bless the new cathedral and rebaptise the first borns of every aristocratic house in the empire who had adopted Simeonism as there religion.

The other major reason for not being stooped in religious turmoil was the edict of religious tollerance issued by Augustus Heraclius on his deathbed. Which strangely enough is also the basis for the Stropon banking system. But that's an entirely different story for a future update.

Strechnitz

Ah now we are on the eve of big changes for Europe. The end of the Ancien Regime is near. enlightenment spreads it's wings. the end of the french monarchy(amongst others) is near.

Yet all is quiet on the Stropon front. The old Palace is demolished to make way for a new Palace. Stern Renaissance is replaced by lighthearted neo classicism. well...lighthearted. all is in the eye of the beholder is it not?
the gardens wich had become oldfashioned had to go as well. The young emperor Hector Heraclius is fond of horses so he wants a octogonal square to hold horseback parades. finebred horses with galant officers in splendid uniforms parade up and down the inner square in between the four wings of the new palace.

The openings between the seperate wings are pointed towards the two cathedrals from west to east, and from north to south it visually connects the entrance gate to the citadel and the spared pavilion. The architects tried, apart from the emperors constantly changing wishes to incorporate the new building with the existing monuments and melted them together into one grand design. Many of the existing medieval structures however were eyesores in this view.

Strechnitz

Around the time the new palace finished in 1780, the large palaces for the Peers and the representatives as well as the palace of justice were built around the square of Augustus Heraclius the great.(see the pic on page 1) To accomodate the ever growing government and bureaucracy. plans were made to erect new ministerial cabinets at the foot of citadel hill where the old palaces of government had stood.

Until then the ministers had resided in the archaic new strechen Castle which despite some modernisations was no fit accomodation for the ministers of the realm. For almost a century, ministers held office in there own city palaces resulting in delicate secret documents and reports to be read by domestics or left on tables while having soirees and entertainment at home. New Strechen castle was left only to house the treasury. But the treasury kept the states gold reserve in the vaults of the new Imperial Bank for safety reasons. Therefore new accomodation for the ministers and the treasury was built. (which can be seen in the historical update on page 1) After completion of the new cabinets the old building wich had housed the ministers so faithfully so long, along with the new servantsquarters were demolished to make way for the new  and splendid baroque gardens which further enhanced the ideal of unity and symmetry displayed on citadelhill.

Half of the servants quarters had run obsolete because the court had left the citadel. The emperor resided at the palace in Kayserburgen now and used the Citadel Palace only as a work palace and to host visits of bevriended monarchs and leaders. it ceased to be a real Imperial residence. much to the dismay of meny strechnitzians. they were sorry to see the court with all it's gayety leave the center in the city to go to the edge of the city. But times change. and the Empire moved on. Nothing stays the same forever.

apostate

Cool

I wonder how its going to look as we move into the industrial revolution?

Strechnitz

The industrial revolution is in full swing across Europe and America. Large parts of america Africa and Asia are dominions of the European Colonial Empires. Stropon has at this time its own two colonies With Quitaniana in America and Nargoon in South east Asia. a lot has changed compared tot the cosy aristocratic 18th century. Large factories sprung up like mushrooms along the banks of Lake Federn and the excess labour in the rural towns flock to the industrial towns to toil and sweat while there families live in terrible circumstances. They are housed in the new workers settlements made of brick and soot built around the edges of the old baroque towns.

The elite however relishes in itselve in ever greater wealth. They dawdle in the lates parisian or New York fashion. They import every luxury imaginable and enjoy having one party after another. Even the clergy from the priest to the high prelates in Simeonopole adorn there cathedrals and monestaries with gold and precious stones aquired from there own colonial trading companies. Some historians refer to the last decades of decadence in Constantinople before the utter humiliation struck in the loss of the entire empire in 1453. Yet they were kicked of the Universities, branded as unwanted prophets of doom. And the entire upper class partied on without a care in the world. As well as the middle classes who earned a good living on the many purchases done by the elite.

But important for Citadel hill is the year 1872. It is important because The Stroponian Empire celebrates its Quadricententenial anniversary. 400 years after The war of reclamation was won and the Empire of Stropon was founded. Founded on this very Citadel hill. Throughout the empire celebrations were held, balls were given for the high society and several statues and monuments were unveiled. Yet Emperor Jerome Victor II wanted more and ordered back in 1869 an international architecture contest for thew plans for a national commemorative monument to be built on citadel hill

In the first round none of the winning designs had followed all the directives of the jury for the monument. The winning designs in the second round could not get aproval from the emperor. In the third round the winning design was heralded as the epiphany of good taste and a new high of revivalist architecture. Some critics went as far as declaring the tower as a turningpoint in architectural history!! The prelude to a new national architectural style even!!

Well if all these comments were true is not for us but for history to decide. The winning bid was the design for a new Tower next to the Entrance gate. Despite al the dealy the monument was built just in time for the great anniversary to be unveiled by the Emperor. The tower houses a clock with an elaborate carillon with gilded statues moving every hour of the day. And two gilded griffins (the imperial guardians, see the flag) holding a crown and scepter up every noon on holy days. It was designed to fit in with the existing architecture but it stood out like a golden tooth in a rotting mouth.

Emperor Stormont

What a stunning update, I love the history you're detailing and the work on the landscapes and buildings.

We look forward to hearing the reply from the government of Stropon. Can I ask one thing, the gardens in the pics witht the mexican palace BAT, what are they can where can I find them?

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Strechnitz

Ah the 20th century. A century of extremes. From oppression from totalitarian regimes to complete freedom in the 70's so many changes, so many thrones have toppled, so many dreams shattered. But most of that stil lies in the future lets not get to romantic...or cynical.

The year is 1920. The world has just experienced the horrors of the Great War of 1914-1918. lay just behind us. Germany, Russia, and Austria lost their emperors. millions were traumatised from their experiences in the trenches. Colonies got restless. The masses in Europe wanted relief. In Stropon the elite is in shock. The first world war laid a heavy burden on them. The country faces enormous peace payments to the allies for choosing the wrong side in wartime. But the empire has survived if only just. But the ex soldiers are restless. and need apeasing

On Citadel Hill times have changed as well There is no room for lavish parties. horsebackparades are militaristic expressions the people don't want to see. During the war the buildings haven't been kept. Every available penny went to the war effort. The medieval buildings are in a derelict state and restauration is costly. The upkeep of the baroque gardens is also too expensive. Emperor Jerome Victor III inherited an empire burdened with heavy depts and a land scarred by trenches and battlefields. He orders the statues in the gardens to be stored away and has the medieval buildings and gardens demolished. An asphalt(tarmac) road is constructed for the motorcars the Emperor and the Ministers now use.

The rest of the proud citadel is planted with trees and grass like the hill outside the citadel walls. A modern but soleless solution for such an important site. But that decision of Emperor Jerome Victor III turned the Citadel in the site we can see today. besides costeffective the decison also showed that the times had changed and that burdens of government was the priority of the Imperial House, and not the cultivation of courtlife or the continuous enhancement of Imperial residences.

This is the last installment of the series on the history of the citadel. I hope you have enjoyed them. I've taken some liberties on the historical facts i've used for this.

Strech.

M4346

What a tragic end to such a glorious empire! But the Citadel looks amazing nonetheless. I guess with modernity, the advent of the modern era and so many other things that came to the world in the 20th century, it should be expected.

I love the history! I absolutely love the progress and process! It is amazing and you've really put a lot of effort into this!

Great job!  &apls &apls

-M-
New Horizons Productions

thundercrack83

WOW!

The way you took us through the history of the Citadel from year to year was simply amazing, my friend! Everything looks great! I love  each year, something new was added, along with the history to go with it. Very creative! Keep up the good work!

Emperor Stormont

What a sad end to the great pre-war empire. I'm sooooooo waiting forward to see what the 20th Century has in store for Stropon. Fantastic CJ

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

guurgkud

Wow!! That was an amazing citadel.. too bad it had a tragic ending :(.

All of the different periods look amazing, especially around the 1675-1800 period!

Looking forward to more!!  :thumbsup:
]http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7083.0]

Come discover its mysteries...
Tristania // Revisited

Strechnitz

time for some replies. Yeah! ;D

But before that, a little anouncement. I have adjusted the 1620 update, cause I saw that I had forgotten something. nothing major, but in case you don't want to miss anything have a look :)

And on another note. I am grateful to all Batters and Lotters here and elsewhere whose pieces I use. They have transformed the original game into a wondrous collection of styles and modes, that can be aplied by every player in his or her own way. withoutyour custom content. I would have finished playing this game YEARS ago.

Kwakelaar: I want to thank you in particular. without your puzzlepieces this citadel would me a mere shimmer compared to what I have made of it thanks to your pieces.

alright, on to the replies:)

apostate I'm glad you like it:) At the same time you were wondering what would happen during the industral revolution I was typing the very update on that subject:) go figure. I hope you like the last 2 as well.

belfastuniguy Thank you so much. It is great fun writing these histories as well.

About those gardens; I made them myself. plus some more tiles. they are nowhere for download. I made them myself using the Lot editor. Perhaps I'll release them as a set in the near future. But not after I have had the update on Dampotzen Palace(which will have to wait until I finished the general History and have showcased a bit more of the empire itself.)

M4346 Thank you very much Marius:) I apreciate your comments. They're a great Stimuli to continue, and there is much more to be seen.

belfastuniguy Sad? yes. but fortunately the Empire survived, and is yet again a proud Nation. Don't worry $%Grinno$% after the Great war the Empire reached an all time low, mentally as well as materialy. but they've crawled out of that pit decades to go.

guurgkud Thank you  :) I'm glad you like the updates. Everything, even the most glorious and longest reigns come to an end. The citadel shares that fait with everything else.  It's great that you like the period 1675-1800 the best. I meant it to be the grandest episode in the citadels history with the grand palaces and the manicured gardens. It's nice that you think so too.

Strech.

M4346

I just wanted to flip the page for you... and remind you of the promised decadence!  ;D

Welcome to page 3!
New Horizons Productions