• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ferndale: A Real Life Recreation

Started by Jayster, August 07, 2010, 10:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayster

Quick question to the people of the website,

How do I set up a second Simcity 4 to run from a different plugins set?

Jayster

catty

I have two SimCity 4 shortcuts on my desktop the first is to my normal uncompressed plugins folder, the second is to my datpacked version and the shortcut looks like this, the important bit is the -UserDir:

"D:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -UserDir:"E:\SimCity 4 Compressed\"

hope that helps

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Jayster

Thanks catty,

Here is what I have mine set up to now:

"C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -UserDir:"C:\Users\Jeffery\My Documents\SimCity 4 Ferndale"

Unfortunately, it isn't working. I set up the folder "SimCity 4 Ferndale" to be identical to the original SimCity 4 folder but nothing shows up. I'm running Windows 7 if that helps at all.

Jayster

catty

try this

"C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -UserDir:"C:\Users\Jeffery\My Documents\SimCity 4 Ferndale\"

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Jayster

That worked! It's amazing what a big difference one small "\" can do  ::)

Jayster

noahclem

Jayster you forgot to congratulate yourself on reaching 200 replies!  ;)

Very interesting and useful trick here, thanks for asking about it and thanks for the answers catty! I've already replicated this trick and am imagining so many uses besides separate plugin folders for different style cities--I can keep an empty plugin folder for using PIM-X, a testing folder, and more.

Anyway, congrats on going "double-Best Sellers" and look forward to the next update!

Nego

Congrats on 200+ replies! &apls &apls Can't wait for the next update. :)

Jayster

Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments! It's really nice to hit "Double Bestseller" and as a treat for helping me hit that, I have two pictures for you. More coming later.

Real Life:

SimCity Map:

As you guys can see, there is some terrain work that needs to be done. Not too much but some. Luckily, some of those straight "rivers" are actually key roads.

Jayster