• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

A milestone!!!

Started by longtimepcgamer, May 06, 2012, 05:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtimepcgamer

My plugins folder has hit 3 gigs in content!!!!!   I'd like to thank the academy, my parents, the Lex, data packer for making things all neat....and Samsung for my Solid State hard drive that in spite of all this content loads the game lightening fast.

Kev

GMT

all together (active and inactive plugins + dependencies) I'm close to 4gb...  :o

... really, it is. I swear.

art128

Mine is just somewhere above 5gb.   ;D
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

WC_EEND

Not that I like to outdo the people here in this thread, but mine is currently sitting at 7.26GB and just like in longtimepcgamer's case, it loads very fast thanks to my 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

mike3775

mine is at 4.59 Gigs.  I'm about to go through and purge alot of it though, since I have a crapload of lots that are ploppable that I never really plop so why bother keeping them.

RickD

Quote from: WC_EEND on May 07, 2012, 05:36:45 AM
Not that I like to outdo the people here in this thread, but mine is currently sitting at 7.26GB and just like in longtimepcgamer's case, it loads very fast thanks to my 256GB Crucial M4 SSD

My plugin folder is similar in size and I also have an SSD. I am curious to know, what you consider "very fast".

When I switched to the SSD, the only thing that got noteably faster is the time from starting the game until the region view appears. Loading a city does not seem to be much faster (But I did not do any benchmarks). I was quite disappointed by this.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

art128

Y'a all with the game on an SSD... That feel when the game is via steam, and I will never install the 250+Gb of steam game on the SSD..  :'( $%Grinno$%
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

WC_EEND

Quote from: RickD on May 07, 2012, 06:52:30 AM
Quote from: WC_EEND on May 07, 2012, 05:36:45 AM

My plugin folder is similar in size and I also have an SSD. I am curious to know, what you consider "very fast".

When I switched to the SSD, the only thing that got noteably faster is the time from starting the game until the region view appears. Loading a city does not seem to be much faster (But I did not do any benchmarks). I was quite disappointed by this.

initial start up takes about 1min (compared to 20+mins when I had a mechanical HDD). Loading a city tile (empty large one) takes about 30s (compared to 2min using mechanical HDD). Obviously the more full the tile is, the longer it takes to load, but this should give you an idea. I think the rest is mostly dependant on CPU type and clock speed (I run an i7-2600K, overclocked to 4.8GHz, not sure what you run).

Xander

EDIT: @arthur: are you aware of this nifty little application called steam mover?

My LOT thread                                    

Shark7

I'm at ~6.5 GB in my uncompressed plugins.  If it weren't for the dat packer utility, the game would take forever to load and be all but unplayable.

I really, really like custom content.  :)

WannGLondon

Call me Warren.

GMT

for the record: I'm proud owner of the original versions, sold back in the days when games came boxed on a physical copy and not via steam download  :P

granted, I have steam aswell, no way around it. but I installed steam on a whole different drive in the first place, so my c drive remains empty as far as practical

... really, it is. I swear.

mike3775

Quote from: GMT on May 11, 2012, 04:57:11 AM
for the record: I'm proud owner of the original versions, sold back in the days when games came boxed on a physical copy and not via steam download  :P

granted, I have steam aswell, no way around it. but I installed steam on a whole different drive in the first place, so my c drive remains empty as far as practical

I only purchase games where I get a physical copy.  Call me old fashioned, but I just like having a physical thing to hold(and make a copy of just in case) where I do not have to worry about needing the internet to re-install something

WannGLondon

Quote from: mike3775 on May 11, 2012, 07:37:34 AM

I only purchase games where I get a physical copy.  Call me old fashioned, but I just like having a physical thing to hold(and make a copy of just in case) where I do not have to worry about needing the internet to re-install something
I am the same way! I've had my SC4 Deluxe for years now and I am still playing it proudly.
Call me Warren.

longtimepcgamer

Me too!!!   I want a box, manual (the bigger the better) and CD.  I feel the same way about musical CD's as well.

Kevin

Shark7

Quote from: mike3775 on May 11, 2012, 07:37:34 AM

Same here, if I can't have a physical copy of it, then I don't want it.  And I do not have Steam, with no plans of signing up...ever.  Besides, anymore the really good games are not made under the thumb of the greedy corporate mega-publishers, but through independent developers and small publishers that do not require Steam or its ilk to purchase their games (imagine that).

WC_EEND

Quote from: Shark7 on May 12, 2012, 08:26:12 AM
Same here, if I can't have a physical copy of it, then I don't want it.  And I do not have Steam, with no plans of signing up...ever.  Besides, anymore the really good games are not made under the thumb of the greedy corporate mega-publishers, but through independent developers and small publishers that do not require Steam or its ilk to purchase their games (imagine that).

No offence, but have you seen the amount of indie games on Steam? If anything, Steam helped boost the amount of sales of said indie devs compared to when they would be on their own. Which is also one of the reasons why Steam is good an Origin is a POS.
That said, I do get your point though, most major devs (looking at you EA, ActivisonBlizzard and Ubisoft) don't care about the quality of their games but only about the bottom line.

My LOT thread                                    

mike3775

Quote from: WC_EEND on May 12, 2012, 09:04:41 AM

No offence, but have you seen the amount of indie games on Steam? If anything, Steam helped boost the amount of sales of said indie devs compared to when they would be on their own. Which is also one of the reasons why Steam is good an Origin is a POS.
That said, I do get your point though, most major devs (looking at you EA, ActivisonBlizzard and Ubisoft) don't care about the quality of their games but only about the bottom line.

I do agree with you on the big developers only caring about the bottom line.  But Steam and also streaming, is something I do not think I will ever really embrace because I just like to have a physical copy just in case I lose internet. 

noahclem

Quote from: mike3775 on May 13, 2012, 06:59:49 AM

I do agree with you on the big developers only caring about the bottom line. But Steam and also streaming, is something I do not think I will ever really embrace because I just like to have a physical copy just in case I lose internet.

It's not EA's or other developers' fault for wanting money--that's what companies do. It's the fault of the game buyers for being satisfied with or willing to purchase sub-par games. When a lot of consumers demand a top-quality product profit-seeking corporations will provide it and typically do an efficient job of it. When consumers are willing to buy crap corporations will happily sell crap. Let's hope in the case of SimCity Next EA is betting on making more money by creating something top-notch than they could just sliding by on the SimCity name, a la SCS....

EDIT: 2.7GB plugins, 3.1GB in my "Currently inactive SC4" folder, and 1.5GB in various other SC4 custom content folders on my desktop for about 7.3GB total potential plugins  :thumbsup:

Shark7

Honestly, I get most of my PC games over at Matrix Games these days, but I'm more of a strategy/wargamer at heart, and they do not require Steam and give both a Digital Download and an option of physical copy when you buy (you can DL the day you buy, and your box comes in the mail a few days later).  I always order mine DDL with Physical copy...play the day it releases, and get my nice dvd case (and sometimes a nice printed color manual as well).

The real nice thing about indie developers is its more a labor of love than profit motivated, so they take the time to get their games done right, not fast.

Shark7

Quote from: noahclem on May 13, 2012, 07:30:54 AM
Quote from: mike3775 on May 13, 2012, 06:59:49 AM

I do agree with you on the big developers only caring about the bottom line. But Steam and also streaming, is something I do not think I will ever really embrace because I just like to have a physical copy just in case I lose internet.

It's not EA's or other developers' fault for wanting money--that's what companies do. It's the fault of the game buyers for being satisfied with or willing to purchase sub-par games. When a lot of consumers demand a top-quality product profit-seeking corporations will provide it and typically do an efficient job of it. When consumers are willing to buy crap corporations will happily sell crap. Let's hope in the case of SimCity Next EA is betting on making more money by creating something top-notch than they could just sliding by on the SimCity name, a la SCS....

EDIT: 2.7GB plugins, 3.1GB in my "Currently inactive SC4" folder, and 1.5GB in various other SC4 custom content folders on my desktop for about 7.3GB total potential plugins  :thumbsup:

Gotta say you are spot on here.  Another point.  If the buying public would refuse to buy any game that required always online even in single player mode, they would drop that requirement really quick too.  The one thing these corporations do understand is money or lack there of...IE vote with your wallet.