• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Fantozzi's Lotting Adventures

Started by fantozzi, March 01, 2018, 06:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyberius06

Hi Fantozzi!

Are you ok?
I don't really get what you are writing about here? What kind of support do you mean?  ()what() ()what() ()what()

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

fantozzi

Quote from: Tyberius06 on May 23, 2021, 02:39:48 AM
Hi Fantozzi!

Are you ok?
I don't really get what you are writing about here? What kind of support do you mean?  ()what() ()what() ()what()

- Tyberius

Thanks for having an eye on poor major Fantozzi.

No, Tibi, I'm not well. I read things, that aren't there. Maybe I get mad.

Lately I read old fascist ideology in posts, as if they try to tell me: "don't buy from jews." There are those, wo serve our system and those, who don't serve our system - and those are community enemies. So you should never buy from those not serving the system. Explanations what are "members unworthy of membership" of this community." Such things.

But of course they aren't really there. It's only my imagination. And in my imagination you did even give a "thumbs up" to this kind of thoughts I was reading. So it's obvious. I need holidays! Or even something stronger. A bottle of schnapps?

Tyberius06

Hm... this metaphore seems to be bit too strong.
If I look back in the past few months the only major and relevant conflict was, the conflict around WolfZe departure. If you are refering to that one, I'm kind of scratching my head, because the whole situation (from its begining, which was like 2-3 months before his departure till his actually departure) was totally different and nothing alike what's your metaphore is about. I don't really understand how you brought this together. Maybe you haven't read his initial announcement (now it's gone, since his profile was deleted upon his request and threats), or you are not aware of with most of the facts what led to his departure. Of course there are things which might only he knows about the whats and whys.

I edited out most part of my comment. I'll rather send it to you in a DM. If you were refering to that situation, then I think you are seeing it from the wrong way. If you were refering to a different matter, then I don't know which matter made you upset that much...

- Tibi

You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.

fantozzi

I'm not using pm, because I think it's a matter of public interest – and I really hope I can avoid to make it something personal.

If you have the feeling, Tyberius, I expose something to public that shouldn't belong here, just give me a note.

I'm biased, yes. But who's not? And ... isn't that the real fuss - a lot of aggrieved people?

And I'm worried about the rage, the hatred I can read in the messages and posts. How you change, how nice people change, and even moderators start campaining. On this, Tibi, your heart is clouded and you will attack me too if I'd wrote – in first place learn forgiveness.

It scares me when a community turns into a mob by a few words spoken and people aren't able to refuse those bad vibes arising, a mood, a temper but instead are carried away like by a big black wave coming over them.

This case doesn't matter at all. There will come a time all content will be lost. Nothing will remain. This is the fate of all our voluntary work, our contributions. What we do - we do it for today, You raise up children and then the children go away. 

No matter what happened - it can't be no reason, no excuse you let it happen your heart fills with anger or hate.

And it's you I care for and whom I address my words to. Not WolfZe. If I write, it's because I worry about us, the way how we gather together here, on the community sites. WolfZe - he isn't in my mind that much. Like a chapter, an episode in community's life. And there are so many. If he isn't the past yet - so it's mainly troubled hearts we are talking about.

You know, a few days ago someone asked "where is Wolf's content" – and then came a big black wave in return. To you – isn't it a little bit suspicious? Do you really think we are acting on a factual level.

It's almost as if someone asked "Where's Elvis?"

Instead - try to smile at him like you would smile on a little toddler that breaks your expensive watch by accident.

Many children grow up and leave. Should the hearts of the fathers always fill with hate because their sons don't behave as expected?

What to teach here? Having more motherly feeling instead of showing fatherly authority? Hm. Or maybe fatherly love - even you as father to this community, being able to forgive a child that failed?

It's a dangerous game to support public hate. Collective hate. Like a bonfire to gather around.

Me - I can't be part of a community that builds up identity upon hate against others. It's simply impossible for me. I would get ill. And it's a question of how I feel inside not a question of logic.

art128

I think I know which post you're referring to in your original statement. While I do agree it wasn't the best expressed thought there is from that person, It's actually on point. First you might want to read EA End User License Agreement here on the steam store page.  -- I'm an idiot you can have access to the EULA here as well.

Okay now that you've done that you can understand that people asking for donation on a Patreon are walking a fine line with this EULA regarding using SC4 content as a way to make money.

The thing is, without SC4D or Simtropolis, where do you think people will get their BATs? I seriously doubt we would get any new players simply because today people are lazier than they were 15 years ago. Specially now that almost all games have some sort of Steam Workshop that centralize, organize and downloads assets for your games.
Look at Japanese websites. There are a few that centralize Japanese creations but even then are really unknown to the western audience. Most author's blogs are now gone and some stuff lost forever. Would you have given money to support them when needed? Sure. But who's going to benefit from it, you or the community we all love?

Now I've got a question to ask you: What do you think about BATers who reuse other people work (albeit available for free on different 3D model websites), put limited effort into converting them [Think no nightlights, very unfriendly LODs, obvious tiling textures.....] and post them as their own on the exchanges? I won't lie, my car models come either from 3D Warehouse or ripped from Forza 3 and 4, I can't model cars at all. Still this will be disclosed in the read me of course.

Now that you've answered this first question, here's the twist: Let's say that same person now put their building behind a paywall. What do you think? Keep in mind those BAT aren't even theirs from the begining since they come from 3D model websites and no credit was ever given to the original creator.

Just some food for thought that, hopefully, will help steer people in the right direction on this recent debate.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Tyberius06

I think you really missunderstand the community in this matter. There is no hatered, rather a big chunk of disinterest. I don't think it ever was in this matter. There were disappointed people over he closed the shop and announce that he is no longer interested in releasing contents on the exchanges for FREE, only on his Patreon account for a monthly cost, yepp. It was disappointing, not to mention those points what Art brought up. It wasn't hatred, it was mostly disinterest. People were not interested in paying 10-20 euros for his models (which let be honest 10-12 years ago would have been torn apart by the wider community due to their flaws).
What really kicked the ball off, that he made the ST admins remove all his contents and deleted his accounts, because he got upset over some revoked likes and reviews what he shouldn't have got at the first place at all.
You definitely imagine some stuffs there. Questioning a person's or people's intention is not hatred.
QuoteOn this, Tibi, your heart is clouded and you will attack me too if I'd wrote – in first place learn forgiveness.
My heart is not clouded. I already have his creations, he didn't screw me over by removing his stuffs, he screwed over all the future might be players who will see images of his creations in CJs, they will look for it, and then they will be told, that ah "you can not have those because the uploader of those made them deleted".
So he screwed over the whole current and future community, just because he got upset over some revoked "LIKE"s, and those are fasicts and haters who are raising voice against this act...
Really?
I don't know, Fantozzi, your methaphores are totally out of space here. He chose to leave and burned the bridges, he was even threatening with legal acts over these files, though the ST admins stated all the time, that it's not up to them. If he wants to come back, he is welcome to come back. So where is the hatred there?
Or now if you disappointed over something, that would be equal with hate??? One can not be disappointed anymore? I, as a person, or the wider community generaly should support someone's acts, which are actaully against the very basic foundation of the whole community? And when some part of the community questioning this, then the community becomes the "bad guy"?
And we are talking about a grown up man, who was acting like a offended little child. Now this is even more disappointing.

I don't know, but it feels like more and more, that you are more disappointed with his departure, than how much the community cares about it at all, yet you try to blame the community due his departure, while the community was still pretty happy with him even when he announced that he is no longer interested in releasing contents for the exchanges.
Of course now the community is less happy, because he removed all of his creations and now we need to answere all those calls, that where those can be found... Though the community will be moving along, and while it will be a returning topic time-to-time, most of the people will don't give a f... about it at all.

fantozzi

Quote from: Tyberius06 on May 24, 2021, 03:08:20 AM
"[...] I already have his creations, he didn't screw me over by removing his stuffs, [...]

Those stolen models? He's blamed for stealing them in public but in private we have them on our hard drive? Shouldn't we delete them if they are stolen? Doesn't it make us thiefs the very same way if we keep them?

You asked me, what's wrong with me and I tried to answer honestly.

This was wrong. Now I see. I shouldn't have answered your question here.

You see no hate, no agitation. You see disappointment.

I'm the only one who see it. So I must be wrong. It seems I have a serious problem. 

I'm sorry for that. 

Not shure what to do now. Visiting a doctor? Looking for another community, where there are at least one or two people, I can find a common ground and not feeling this lonely? Ignore my bad feelings?

I'l have to think about it. Thank you, Tibi.

fantozzi

Quote from: art128 on May 24, 2021, 12:31:15 AM
[...] put limited effort into converting them [...]
But then .. where is the scandal? If they are done with such heartlessness it's good they were deleted? And it should be possible with ease to replace them by something created with more love?

All my models are from the warehouse. Maybe I did put limited effort in them too? How can I know? Yes, on some it was quite easy to bring them into the game. And what does it mean? I didn't realize I became a swindler this way.

Should I ask to delete my uploads? I don't want to cause troubles to any site. But now you made me aware I did wrong all the years.

I swear, it was never my intend to cheat. I'm sorry. I'm even shocked how strict all this is.

Another point I have to consider how to go on. Thank you, Arthur.

But, man, where did all the fun go this game once was?

fantozzi

Quote from: art128 on May 24, 2021, 12:31:15 AM
The thing is, without SC4D or Simtropolis, where do you think people will get their BATs? I seriously doubt we would get any new players simply because today people are lazier than they were 15 years ago. Specially now that almost all games have some sort of Steam Workshop that centralize, organize and downloads assets for your games.
Look at Japanese websites. There are a few that centralize Japanese creations but even then are really unknown to the western audience. Most author's blogs are now gone and some stuff lost forever. Would you have given money to support them when needed? Sure. But who's going to benefit from it, you or the community we all love?

May I ask a question too? If I, reading this, now would say: so we have to fight all other sites and destroy them – except for SC4D and Simtropolis to make our community strong! Let's boykott all other sites to strengthen our community!

What would be your argument to hold against it?

And from there I have another question. Sorry. Sites have different rules regarding uploads. SC4D has quite a list of them.  ::) Not everyone is as good in english language. It's not always easy to understand all rules. So you feel insecure and decide not to share. So not share at all?

Also, sometimes, I have the feeling, I should only share my best creations here. Especially - looking on your judgement above - if my creation isn't done with enough effort to please the community - should I share somewhere else or not at all? On the LEX there are comments and ratings there is some public pressure, you know. Not everyone likes that - to be on show.

But then - if I'm - just for example - a citizen from China with no access to the sites you did mention or maybe for many other possible reasons I can't access them - now should I not share at all or try to create my own site? What to do?

And then – if we consider bats or lots as a piece of art and creators being artists. Just for a second. Is it of interest to limit access to art to dedicated places? So art can't exist without those places. Like f.e. museums. Is it a good world where art idepends on certain authorities? So to speak: without museums no art?

What if this thought is abused - not by you or me, but somebody else - to ban all street art?

Tarkus

Quote from: fantozzi on May 25, 2021, 12:41:54 AM
All my models are from the warehouse. Maybe I did put limited effort in them too? How can I know? Yes, on some it was quite easy to bring them into the game. And what does it mean? I didn't realize I became a swindler this way.

As long as you're honest about where things came from on the description and/or documentation, you're not violating any rules.  It's only when people misrepresent things that it's an issue.

Quote from: fantozzi on May 24, 2021, 04:02:17 AM
Those stolen models? He's blamed for stealing them in public but in private we have them on our hard drive? Shouldn't we delete them if they are stolen? Doesn't it make us thiefs the very same way if we keep them?

The people who download such files are not willful parts of any misreprentation on the part of the uploader.  If you feel the files have been sullied by the situation surrounding them, that's a very understandable approach to take.  But the cat's out of the bag, and it's not your fault. 

I'll also note--there's nothing stopping anyone from re-using the models the proper way. 

I also just wrote up a new editorial at SimTarkus on the subject of third-party model re-use, which at least attempts to address some of these points.  Aside from good cases of model re-use, I don't name any names.  It is my hope to draft up a policy to specifically deal with this sort of situation as well.

-Alex

fantozzi

Now, that's bitter. But I have to stay true. No I didn't. I didn't give credits to the creators as I don't even know their names. In most cases some alias like "X25" or "BruceWillis" that could apply to a million of people out there. So I have no possibility to trace back whom those models belong to, downloaded many years ago. You know, those collada and kmz files downloaded from the 3D warehouse, they come without any readme or policy or copyright notice. So I have no written document of ownership. After several month on my HD how can I know whom to credit?

Well I can credit the site - but that isn't in your sense, I guess ... if I do nothing wrong to quote from SimTarkus site here:

"Think about it–if you're a BATer, and someone takes your model and, instead of referring to it as a dependency, sticks it in their upload and acts as if it's theirs, without giving you any credit whatsoever, you'd be upset, and quite understandably so. Such a course of action is effectively plagiarism, and is a moral and ethical breach that, not surprisingly, constitutes a gross violation of site and exchange rules, and in many cases, also likely breaches the usually fairly permissive, royalty-free licenses that these sites often offer."

If you put it that way - touché. Yes all this I did; plagiarism, gross violation and so on. What to do now? Hope, I didn't put SC4D into any troubles? I never wanted to do so. I really wasn't aware. I was thinking very different - as those bats aren't really model files but just a bunch of pictures and only usable inside this one game and therefore in no way reusable for further or other use (you can't use a SC4 bat somewhere else and can't load it into any 3D software) and therefore they aren't a subject to copyright as it's simply impossible to break a copyright with on a distributive dead end.

Well, and of course site owners can make site rules. Nothing I would ever argue about. I'll even try my  best to hold them in high esteem.

But what you write here, Alex,
QuoteThe people who download such files are not willful parts of any misreprentation on the part of the uploader.  If you feel the files have been sullied by the situation surrounding them, that's a very understandable approach to take.  But the cat's out of the bag, and it's not your fault.

Imo isn't in line with international law. Things once stolen remain stolen. And if you pay for stolen goods in good faith they're legal they don't turn into something legal just by faith.

If you download a movie from a copy of a copy of a copy from a first copy that was illegal it's not, the last copy did become legal. So if WolfZe stole models and I download his bats - those bats made from stolen models still are illegal stuff.

And obviously this merciless point of view is necessary as otherwise you had a comfortable way to turn illegal filesharing into legal practice by converting files into another format. My five cents. But I don't want to teach anybody.

Glady I'm no site owner and I haven't to care for all this legal stuff. But seeing this community tries to have highest standards and I really don't want to hurt their morals nor their ability to know right from wrong ...

... what should I do now?

Tyberius06

Dear Fantozzi,

You are mixing things together... Nobody said that he or anybody stole the models. It's kind of impossible, becuase they were free to download and permited to be used otherwise. The fact that he claimed that those models were his own creations, not giving credit for the original source or at least the site where he got the models and later tried to introduce a monthly fee for the availablity of those models (in SC4model format) makes it really bad. He didn't steal anything per se, because those were free at the first place. How can you still something which is free?  ()what()

But again nobody said that he was stealing the models. It was said that he used models from those places and claimed that those were his owns, and then he tried to "sell" them on patreon for a monthly fee.

Please, just understand what others are writing and don't imagine things into their posts what are not even there. Most of these post of yours around this topic are full of missunderstanding, missinterpreation and word/thought-twisting and you are spiraling around things which were never there... Like this WZ stole the models... HE DID NOT DO THAT... Nobody said that...

fantozzi

Sorry for the missunderstanding. Tibi.

And I feel bad I disturb you. You sound angry. But maybe I missread it. And you are happy with me instead?

I'm getting confused and insecure, indeed, what's correct behavior and what's incorrect behavior. Maybe this is the reason I'm confusing everything. I'm sorry for that.

From different readings in different posts it really sounded to me as WolfZe was stealing. And if I understood well what Arthur wrote above. this made things even worse, he used models, he didn't create on his own. So I made the conclusion, he must haven stolen them. Because if he takes free model and there is nothing wrong in taking them - how would it worsen things then? Why would you point it out if it's common practice.

So okay I got this wrong. And I feel relief as I was really convinced now I did the same mistake.

So the bats I make from models I took elsewhere, I can say about them - I made those bats. Would this be correct? Or would I be wrong doing so?

Maybe ... it depends on the efford I put in it? So if rework them the final bat in the lot - the whole work, I can call this mine.

Or, whenever I use someone elses work - I have no merit on the final result?

Sorry - don't go mad at me, please - but you won't guess, what crossed my mind now. Crazy fantozzi's mind? I imagined a cook that can't claim a dish his own, because he didn't raise the chicken himself he used for creating the dish.

So there must be some line somewhere - when something becomes your own merit, your own little piece of art where you like to have some little credit too?

And could it be a little - just a little - offending, if instead people say: you did nothing at all, you just took other peoples chicken!

Tarkus

Quote from: fantozzi on May 25, 2021, 04:19:07 AM
Well I can credit the site

In one of the examples of good re-use that I cited in the article, the model came from a stock library, and it was hard to really attribute it properly.  The author did what he could, and disclosed that the model was indeed from a stock library.  If the information of who made it is lost to time, crediting the site, or at least noting the use of a third-party model should be sufficient.  If you knew the names of original models, it'd probably be possible to find them, in any case.

The main thing here--you're being honest.  If everyone else in the community who used 3D Warehouse, TurboSquid, CGTrader, etc. models were honest as you were just now, we'd have a much more ethical SC4 community.

Quote from: fantozzi on May 25, 2021, 04:19:07 AM
But what you write here, Alex,
QuoteAs long as you're honest about where things came from on the description and/or documentation, you're not violating any rules.  It's only when people misrepresent things that it's an issue.
Imo isn't in line with international law. Things once stolen remain stolen. And if you pay for stolen goods it's in good faith they're legal they don't switch into something legal.

Generally speaking, if you're crediting something, you're not using it without permission (or are within acceptable fair use), and you're staying within the licensing of the site and/or the original modeler (3D Warehouse models permit reuse), it's unlikely to become a matter of international law. 

Also, take the case of Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby".  Was anyone who merely bought the single or the album before the song was re-credited to add David Bowie and the four members of Queen to the list of songwriters on it (to account for the previously uncredited use of the sample of "Under Pressure") going to be held liable for that?  Highly unlikely.  I think that's probably an apt comparison here. 

-Alex

fantozzi

Hey, thanks Alex. That feels like a big relief what you wrote.

Maybe to think of the whole thing like some circle. I take a free creation out of the community pond and I give back a free creation to the community pond. So basically, the creator of the original model could start play Sim City and use my bat I used his model to create. And so the cycle of give and take can always be fullfilled. If you take something from the pond and say, well you have to pay to make me giving something back - the circle is broken.

And I guess that's why people get so mad. But one man can't break a princliple that strong. Because this principle is named "caring society".

fantozzi

But then ...

... if there was a site that blocks some content creators from sharing - so they like to share but aren't allowed to share because ... let's say moderators can't stand them for their opinion - would it be right to support these sites regardless? And to follow when they say: those creators I banned from here, don't support them wherever else they appear?

Would this be still in the interest to keep this cycle of give and take alive? Would this be beneficial for a caring society?

Of course I will never make you pay for my lousy, loveless creations. Before I do this I'll shoot a bullet through my brain. And before this I will get flogged by EA anyway. 

But if I'm not allowed to put my content up on those mighty sites anymore, would it be okay if I do my own thing to share them? Or should I stop trying to be a part of this circle? Would I become some kind of 'lunatic fringe group' if society bans me and I still try to share my stuff - so if I f.e. decided to make my own webpage?

So - would anybody here still support me if I'm banned from these big sites because tragically I have a different opinion than moderators have?

art128

I think you are really thinking too much into it..

I doubt anyone will get banned from sc4 community websites because they have a different opinion from a staff member. You'd really have to break one of the site rules to get banned. And even then you would receive a warning first.
If it happened then I was not aware of it. Because that's not how I personally deal with these things.

If that happens to someone, well you're free to form your own opinion on the matter. If you should support or not the website, you're free to decide that on your own.

Nobody is saying small websites aren't allowed to exist. Of course they're! The point I wanted to make was that having things centralized on a big popular website is more convenient for the wider audience.

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

fantozzi

Quote from: art128 on May 26, 2021, 04:00:34 AM
I think you are really thinking too much into it..
That's definitely true. But sometimes things hurt and that's the reason you can't stop thinking about them. And even if you try to get over and make peace - things happen and you're remembered.

Barroco Hispano

I think I'm one of those who "forgets" to give credit to the original creator. I hope I don't get in trouble for posting the cars we buy on SQUIR3D, Hum3D, Evermotion, etc. I will specify in my next uploads whether or not I am the creator of the model.
Barroco Hispano

fantozzi

After 12 years of love and fun my PC broke down. I lost the work of the last four month which isn't that much to be true. I should be able to restore most of my SC4 content except of very few things I'll be able to recreate.

So nothing serious, But I have to save some money first. I'm little short of it lately.

Also, lately I have so many strange and mixed feelings, mostly sadness and loneliness. Suddenly falls into complete silliness. Does it happen to you too - you're sourrounded  by nice people, listening to a joke, and suddenly feel lonely?

What the heck.

I'll be back. I will survive. My PC will work again and there will be new content.

SC4 forever!  &hlp