• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM 08 simulator A distance experiment

Started by flyinbird93, July 25, 2008, 08:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinbird93

please forgive me, i have not attached pics to this.  there is a plan to later release them though.

test region consist of 9 large flat cities.

modes of transport tested in order from west to east (youll know when i put in pics)

monorail
El-train
road
avenue
elevated hi-way
ground rail
subway

to begin with, each transport was streched across the entire lengh of the southern map (new city bottom) to the north peak of the center map (new city middle).  a grand total of 512 tiles!

each track was given its own exclusive housing development and power with road access to each transit station or on ramp.  in the case of road/avenue test, they were build directly on the test strip.

meanwhile over in new city middle, i added power and road access from the terminals to small patches of dirty industry.

now i did not take any pics of the number of passengers or the commute times.  however!  road/avenue lengh test were concluded here.  averaging 8 passengers on each strip and a concluded commute time of "long".  once conected to the hiway at the south end of new city middle that commute time went up to "medium"!

this was good, i had commuters passing 512 tiles with little sign of slowing down!  so i pushed the limit even more.

the industry and power was cut off from new city middle and construction broke ground in north new city top at a grand total of 768 tiles away from home!  once again dirty industry, stations, and power were added.  once my pop corn of industry was done i saved and returned to new city bottom.

back in new city bottom i PANIC!  /panic.  i had lost all commuters!  this was not a good sign, but dont worry i dug to find an answer!  since i had let the simulator run a bit i decided to save and go check my other 2 cities for errors.

shortly upon entering new city middle my route tracks were back!  leading right through the city to new city top!  so i saved and continued on to new city top where i saw my people getting off at stations and going to work!

its is my belief that maybe if you have commuters passing through a zone to work, in order for that path you want them to take to be updated, each passing area must be entered and simulated.  this is a theory with no test to prove atm.

so since everything looks good at 768 tiles from home!  i wanted to see how long these fine poor folkes were having to trot to work each morning.  heres the final results

monorail       -      short!
El-train         -      short/medium cant remember atm.
road/avenue -      (long after 512 tiles, medium after 256 with hiway finishing the other 256)
hiway          -       medium
ground rail    -       short
subway        -       medium

i will verify all this info this evening for authenticity but i belive my memory serves me right.  thank your for reading, comments are nice, as well as counter testing.  hope this was helpfull to some.

z

Quote from: flyinbird93 on July 25, 2008, 08:22:38 AM
its is my belief that maybe if you have commuters passing through a zone to work, in order for that path you want them to take to be updated, each passing area must be entered and simulated.  this is a theory with no test to prove atm.
Yes, this is correct.  Paths through cities can be updated only when the city is running.