• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4's Ninth Birthday!

Started by dedgren, January 08, 2012, 04:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metarvo

Really, who needs SC5 when SC4 has already been made better than the base-release of a new simulator would be.  Not that I wouldn't buy it if a real SC5 came out, but even if I did, I don't think I would allow SC4 to collect dust in the recesses of the game cabinet.  If a real SC5 were to come out, here are some likely complaints people would have about the first release:

• "There are no variable-width median highways!"
  • "There's no ground light rail."
  • "What do you mean there are no schools in this game?"
  • "What?  This game can't even be modded!?"

At least none of that will ever be a problem with SC4.  I'm not saying this to discourage Maxis from developing a new SimCity game.  However, it would appear that no amount of encouragement has done the trick, so what's there to do but enjoy the great game we have.

Happy Birthday, SC4! :party:

Quote from: mike3775 on January 10, 2012, 01:37:58 PM
Its hard to believe that I first played SimCity on a SNES

Quote from: noahclem on January 10, 2012, 11:05:01 PM
You too?

I also had my first taste of SimCity on the SNES Classic.  It started me on a journey which began with Dr. Wright and progressed to 3RR and NAM.  Did either of you ever leave the game running all night or when you left to go somewhere, so that your population or finances would grow?  I did it a lot of times, usually to find that a plane crash had destroyed most of the city.  &mmm
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

mike3775

Quote from: metarvo on January 12, 2012, 06:09:34 AM
I also had my first taste of SimCity on the SNES Classic.  It started me on a journey which began with Dr. Wright and progressed to 3RR and NAM.  Did either of you ever leave the game running all night or when you left to go somewhere, so that your population or finances would grow?  I did it a lot of times, usually to find that a plane crash had destroyed most of the city.  &mmm

Yes I did.  90% of the time it was fine and simply grew, but 10% of the time a fire or plane crash would occur, and it usually happened like just minutes before I would get back to the game as it would still be going on  lol

I used to think the game taunted me by knowing when I was coming back

ivo_su

Happy Birthday Sim City 4.
  My most favorite game is now 9 years old and I still love her as the first day which touched her. I want to congratulate all who have similar feelings as mine and to express my infinite gratitude to the creators who developed this game so much.
I want to stress my deep gratitude to Io_bg, Tage, Tarkus, Maarten, Robin, David, jeronji, Jonathan and all others who gave so much of their time and expertise to run the game still on the front.

Happy Sim City day to all of you !!!
- Ivo

dedgren

Happy Ninth Birthday from Alaska, SC4!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

kbieniu7

Happy Birthday SimCity from Poland!  ;)
I remember when I got the game in 2005 and ran it first time, when the region, new terraforming methods, roads, streets, elementary schools, collages, etc. was something enormous. I'm not able to count how many times I opened SimCity, how many times I was watching its intro, how many times I red the paper instruction and how many hours I spent in front of the game.
I want to thank to all creators, who during the 9 years, were trying to make the game more and more enjoyable. Thank you all!  :D
What can I wish in this day? Another 9 years of SimCity community!  ;)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

art128

I think I have myself spent more than 5000~6000 hours in front of SC4 since I got it in late 2006.. Each time when I get back from school I fired it up to play until I went to bed. All the good memories that comes back.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Ricky112233

Happy B-day SC4~!

I've been playing SC4 since '07-'08 and I still love it! On to the next 9 years!  :P
Yes, I love aviation
Yes, I'm interested in the former CIS
Yes, I'm half Dutch-half American
Yes, I'm learning Russian
15--

vortext

Congratulations SC! Now let's go out and buy some cake :party:

btw, we, the community at large, really ought to do something special for the first decade, next year!
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

BarbyW

I've done something special today - I installed SC4 onto my new HD as my old one failed last Autumn.

Wow, I cannot believe that it is 9 years since I bought my first copy of SC4. Can't remember exactly when in 2003 I bought it but it was early in the year. I joined Simtrop in July 2003 and started lotting under GrampaAl's tutelage later in the year. I joined CSX and worked with both GrampaAl and Colyn on lotting and modding. Then in 2004 BSC was started and so the story really started.

I am now in the process of painfully re-installing all my SC4 toolkit and plugins but I am hoping to spend a little more time with SC4 and SC4D than I have for the last 12 months.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

rooker1

Two things to be greatful for today.
SC4's birthday and Barby is coming back!

Happy birthday SC4!!!!          Happy birthday SC4!!!!     Happy birthday SC4!!!!

Robin :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Gringamuyloca

Wow... It's SC4's Birthday and we (the community) get the present!
Quote from: BarbyW on January 14, 2012, 05:10:39 AM
I've done something special today - I installed SC4 onto my new HD as my old one failed last Autumn.
snip
I am now in the process of painfully re-installing all my SC4 toolkit and plugins but I am hoping to spend a little more time with SC4 and SC4D than I have for the last 12 months.

Happy Birthday SC4!  &bis& and "Welcome Back!" Barby.  ()flower()  ()stsfd()
Tamara

Silur

Strange date for me ...  I worked only with Tycoon Rail Roads before it ... Only SC4 today with SC4 sites ... Thanks JRJ ...   

Grneyes

I remember watching my cousin play SimCity on his SNES (he never let me play games, just made me watch because he was an "expert" and I was a "newbie")...there was a cheat to get a lot of money buy laying a lot of police/fire stations or something. I was hooked! Got it for my computer and loved it! Didn't know about any of this stuff until SC4 though. I don't think I'd want an SC5. Everything would have to be redone! I think the community has ably adapted to new operating systems and can continue to do so.

RippleJet

Quote from: rooker1 on January 14, 2012, 07:47:20 AM
and Barby is coming back!

Ohh... should I also... :) ...we'll see... ::)

Happy Birthday nevertheless! :thumbsup:

Kergelen

Happy birthday SC4! &apls

I've been played SC4 from 2003 and I still remember my first city! And my cities in SC3000, in SC2000, and in Simcity Classic. More than a half of my life with SC. And I remember my first time with SC Classic when I was about 13 years old and when I saw the buildings growing for the first time. Was an special and exiting day and now I'm still enjoying when the buildings grow and the live come to the city.  ()stsfd().

BarbyW and Ripplejet! Great news :)

Links to SC4 websites

Jack_wilds

metarvo

I don't believe my eyes!  Barby and RippleJet have returned to us.  Not only that, but it sounds like Barby's getting ready to play SC4 once again.  Welcome back! :) ;)

Now that the day is here (or already over in some locales), Happy Birthday SC4!  I've been playing around with the BAT again over the past two weeks, and I started the game once, so who knows what will happen this year.  ()stsfd()
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

carlfatal

Funny, i´ve bought SC4 2003 for the first time, still have the copy, but it was some boring stuff. In 2009 i rediscovered the game, it was pretty cheap and so i tried again. And the game failed again. Then - i´ve made some little cosmetical changes in Vampires Bloodlines i thought: why not also looking for mods in SimCity - maybe there is something...
First i found the SimKurier, some churches, some W2W, all this incredible European BATs, and... the NAM. After installing and a first "give it a try" it was the initial of a great love affair, grown since then and will do so furthermore.
So i give my congrats to a really good "game", but more to the community who transformed this simulation to what it is now. Thanks a lot for this endless work and passion, You people made me an addicted to this program, not Maxis or EA.  &apls &apls &apls
Again i only can say, this is a new game every year, last year NAM-day was a little bit like my personal childish christmas, never before i was as eager...

So i think i don´t need a new simcity 5, like Grneyes and other said. There is so much movement, this incredible work on MMPs and seasonal stuff last year for example...
Wich company would be able to compete against this?  $%Grinno$%

Greetz, Carl

And Legends are coming back... must be a good sign...

EDGE4194

Wow- nine years  &apls . I have been a member of this amazing site for 5 years thanks to BarbyW (and welcome back by the way!). I never seem to have enough time to spend the time I would like to be a more active member. I am in awe of the talented users and the fantastic creations they have generously shared with all of us. I wish to thank the people who encouraged me and had the patience to provide help over the years:
jeronij, BarbyW, Swamper77, jacqulina, TheTeaCat, sebes, Bobbo, Tarkus (I'm sure I forgot a few names...  &mmm ). Eric

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SC4 DEVOTION!

&dance :party: &dance :party: &dance :party: &dance :party:

Tarkus

It's crazy to think this game is 9 years old.  I myself picked up SC4 Deluxe just about 8 years ago.  I'm a relative newb in that regard, I suppose. :D  Definitely got my bang for the buck, I'd say.

-Alex