• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

PROPS,ETC.

Started by snrrdnd, February 18, 2012, 12:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snrrdnd

im new to this forum and wanted to know if i need to download all props. textures, etc or would the latest versions include all previous versions?

FrankU

Short answer: if you try to download and install all props and textures your computer will get sick.  &cry2

No no.

You should take a good look at what files you find. Then you choose what you think is useful for you. Then you download these and install them. Take a good look at the readme files included. Then you decide what prop packs, texture packs and other kinds of dependencies you need for these downloads. You install only these. And if there are more versions of these packs you indeed only download the latest ones.

Might this be an answer to your question? If not, then please explain a bit more what you wanted to ask. We will provide help if we can.

By the way: welcome!

NCGAIO

"$Deal"$ For that you have just an idea ... a month ago when paused my research had recorded more than 15,300 items of props somewhere around 2900 textures and I do not consider the work even halfway ...

The best advice I can give is ... Use only what you need!

Although the most experienced modelers in any organization seeking rules to avoid conflicts in their work many do not follow these principles even by not knowing.

So remember to Save and always your best weapon. Whenever you set a new thing is better a copy of your city saved in a folder backup ... then let the game run at full speed for about two years and see if any problem does not appear then click again and go to the next. Boring but better than losing the city sometimes and have to start again.

snrrdnd

Hey folks, thanx for the replies. i guess what i was wanting to know was if i needed to download certain dependencies or the latest versions of certain dependencies. for xample, would, say, megaprops vol 12 include everything in its previous incarnations? like i said, im a rookie to all this stuff so go easy on me :P. Ive been downloading stuff for the past 3 weeks or so and didnt have any probs til the other day. now my cities have cardboard boxes popping up in my res and com areas. i went thru all my downloads and i cant find out which dependencies im missing.

whatevermind

To use your example above, Megaprops Vol12 would not include Megaprops Vol11, Megaprops Vol10, or any other previous volumes.

However, Megaprops Vol12 might include Props Vol19, Props Vol20, Props Vol21, and any combination of loose files that never belonged to any sort of packs before.  The remove list or cleanitol for Megaprops Vol12 should, in this case, list out all the files it replaces.

So, for example, if you have a file that lists Megaprops Vol12 and Megaprops Vol11 as dependencies, you will need to download and install both files.

If, however, the file lists Props Vol19 as a dependency, and when you go to download this, the page tells you the file is locked and redirects you to Megaprops Vol12, then the file you need is Megaprops Vol12, and the readme was simply never updated to reflect a change in the dependency.

Hope that helps - there is a system to all this.  But generally speaking, different Volume numbers don't replace another Volume that otherwise has the same name, and the hierarchy of what replaces what is roughly:

• loose files (such as from an individual BAT) get collected into
  • Prop packs (such as anything named BSCBATProps Vol...) which get collected into
  • MEGA packs (such as anything named BSC MEGAProps Vol...), which are (to date) the highest level of file

snrrdnd

thanku whatevermind! just what i needed to know. im the most technically illiterate person on earth so i really appreciate the help!

Silur

Hi. snrrdnd ...
My mind - You must download in Your ARCHIV all props from LEX, STEX and PLEX ... And step by step ... with Ilive Reader ... I have about 3 GB (9000 files) in my Archiv ... But in my Plugins Folder only about 2 % ...
SC4 with LEX and others - not very simple game today ... But You can play with SC4 with original ... 

snrrdnd