• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

A question to the makers.

Started by Mister Giggles, November 06, 2007, 08:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Giggles

Why did you limit High Tech demand on the RCI bar to 12,000?

Somy 1, Somy 2, and Somy's Nanotech High Tech buildings require demands higher than 12,000 (Much more in the case of Somy 1 and 2).

Since you cannot have more than 12,000 demand put into use at once, this prevents any other Stage 10 High Tech building from growing...except the Doom Cubes (Interculture).

Furthermore, since all three are Stage 10s, once you have Interculture you cannot upgrade into the Somy's.

Long story short, I have three high tech buildings that can never build and I'd like to know the thought behind the 12,000 limitation and why they (The buildings) were even included if they can never actually be utilized.

(If such a thing as an easy solution exists, I'd just like a patch that ups High Tech demand to 24,000 as with the other demand bars)

Another question, actually, now that I've thought of it...why is Interculture so absolutely and insanely difficult to get to grow? I've literally surrounded blocks of lesser stage High Tech buildings in an effort to get an Interculture to grow, but no dice (While, as well, fulfilling park, water, and fire protection demands). I'm sure there's a reasonable answer behind it, though.

On a sidenote, I am currently in the latter stages of fully testing the CAM and I plan on doing a complete, top to bottom review of it once I feel I have experienced everything it offers. There are a few glaring flaws (The worst one being mentioned), so far, but nothing to break the experience.

Thank you.

M4346

Quote from: Mister Giggles on November 06, 2007, 08:23:30 PM
Why did you limit High Tech demand on the RCI bar to 12,000?

Somy 1, Somy 2, and Somy's Nanotech High Tech buildings require demands higher than 12,000 (Much more in the case of Somy 1 and 2).

Since you cannot have more than 12,000 demand put into use at once, this prevents any other Stage 10 High Tech building from growing...except the Doom Cubes (Interculture).

Are you sure that the RCI Bar is not just a visual thing and that demand can actually exceed the limits of the graph?

I have seen Somy's I-HT grow for other individuals.

I am not the maker of or an expert on CAM, so I would rather that Tage attempt to answer this. But as I've said I've seen them grow and the CAM did undergo extensive testing.

I'm not the expert, so I'll wait for Tage to answer this, but those are just my thoughts.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Mister Giggles

Perhaps I am, indeed, wrong; I've not put aside the possibility.

Having never seen even a single instance of the Somy's growing, however, makes me raise an eyebrow and reminds me of the vanilla SimCity 4 where I rarely, if ever, saw the +6000 buildings grow (Even worse was with the PanPacific buildings, where I knew there was enough overall demand for them and yet...nothing).

And yes, I believe the CAM underwent extensive testing; however, refinement is there to be made and there exists flaws in the 1.0 version of anything.

xxdita

I myself haven't had any of the Somy 1 or 2's grow in any city yet, though Integriculture sprouts up like weeds for me.

M4346

Well I think that the graph is merely a visual representation of the actual demand, and it is in this case bound by an upper limit of 12 000 visually. The previous Maxis 6 000 graph did not prevent (badly and ludicrously modded) Stage 8 RC lots from growing because the graph, as I have stated, is in my opinion a fancy, but insufficient and poor, indicator of the reality.

Have you used and analysed the date from the Census Repository V2 by Tage / RippleJet?
New Horizons Productions

RippleJet

Mister Giggles, this is a very good remark! &apls
Somy's high-tech industrials were CAMmified after the CAM itself was finished, and I wasn't aware of this until now.

No doubt, the maximum demand for I-HT needs to be 24,000.
Actually, Somy's tall industrials are too big for stage 10 I-HT, they should be at a much higher stage... ::)

Quote from: Mister Giggles on November 06, 2007, 11:47:18 PM
And yes, I believe the CAM underwent extensive testing; however, refinement is there to be made and there exists flaws in the 1.0 version of anything.

CAM, version 1.1 will be in the pipeline soon now! :)

Quote from: Mister Giggles on November 06, 2007, 08:23:30 PM
Furthermore, since all three are Stage 10s, once you have Interculture you cannot upgrade into the Somy's.

That would however be possible (if the maximum demand was 24,000).
Lots can upgrade within the same growth stage, as long as the density is at least slightly higher.

Quote from: M4346 on November 06, 2007, 10:16:32 PM
Are you sure that the RCI Bar is not just a visual thing and that demand can actually exceed the limits of the graph?

Quote from: M4346 on November 07, 2007, 12:15:37 AM
Well I think that the graph is merely a visual representation of the actual demand, and it is in this case bound by an upper limit of 12 000 visually.

Maxis demand bars are visually scewed, but in quite an opposite way as you're suspecting. :P
Even if the maximum demand is indeed 12,000, the bars show a much higher value.
The reason for this is obvously to show a taller bar when demand is very low.

Quote from: M4346 on November 07, 2007, 12:15:37 AM
Have you used and analysed the date from the Census Repository V2 by Tage / RippleJet?

That would show that maximum demand is indeed 12,000.

Besides, if you're comfortable using Reader, it isn't too difficult to check the RCI exemplars in the CAM itself and note that the maximum industrial demand is set at 0x2EE0.

M4346

Have I then been deceived into believing that the industrials I saw were grown? So, the demand needs to be fixed, but my question is will this and has this prevented them from growing?
New Horizons Productions

RippleJet

Yes, I am pretty sure it has kept them from growing.
Somy1 has a capacity of 22,415 and Somy2 21,898.

The ones seen growing might very well have been from the beta testing...

M4346

Quote from: RippleJet on November 07, 2007, 12:57:24 AM
The ones seen growing might very well have been from the beta testing...

That explains it then. ;) Meh :P

But was the upper demand limit (?) in non-CAM then unlimited to allow for Stage 8 to include such a vast range of occupants?
New Horizons Productions

RippleJet

Quote from: M4346 on November 07, 2007, 01:00:11 AM
But was the upper demand limit (?) in non-CAM then unlimited to allow for Stage 8 to include such a vast range of occupants?

No, the upper limits in Rush Hour are set at 6,000 for all RCI types.
You are still able to grow buildings slightly bigger than this, even up to 50% bigger, but not 100% bigger.

M4346

Ah, okay... so hypothetically speaking an I-HT building with a capacity of 18 000 would still grow, but not higher?

Sorry to bother... :P
New Horizons Productions

xxdita

Cam 1.1??? YAY!!!! I love the pipeline. RippleJet, are you hinting at additional stages for Industry? And maybe a fix for Industrial demand?

RippleJet

Quote from: xxdita on November 07, 2007, 01:25:37 AM
RippleJet, are you hinting at additional stages for Industry? And maybe a fix for Industrial demand?

Regarding additional I-HT stages... remains to be seen... ::)
(the first beta versions actually had 15 I-HT stages)

Mister Giggles

RippleJet: Quite excellent. I was mainly concerned about High Tech since it's the key driving force behind getting massive "Skyscraper Forests", and I'm not a fan of turning every small area around my city into High Tech villas (Though, at least, with Interculture this becomes a vastly easier task). I am pleased it's going to be fixed, and hopefully, more very large high tech buildings added, with perhaps a small tweak to how Industrial stages work to balance out the upgrades.

I do have yet another question, now that you're here...

When are you going to add in NDEX lots to the CAM list? Aside from the BSC and their vast undertakings (The Big Dig, the CAM, with a sprinkle of NAM), NDEX stands as the best of the best in making stuff. You could in one fell swoop elliminate one  problem that exists with the CAM (Not enough variety for tile requirements and too easy to get the system to 'fall' into one Stage 15 building of one type or another (As evidenced by the 13 PanPacific buildings I've managed to grow...).

Furthermore, when will Stage 15 High-Wealth buildings be added? I feel this oversight (Minor as it is) enchances the need for more buildings over a greater range of wealth, tile requirements, and, of course, Stages.

Thank you for your quick responses, RippleJet. It's nice to see someone at the forefront of fixing SimCity 4 so active and gives me hope for a future of the CAM.

BarbyW

We made a lot of NDEX models into CAM lots for the initial release. Unfortunately we have not been given permission to mod the original releases for the CAM and also have no permission to make model packs of any NDEX models other than the ones that are on the LEX. If you look at the original list for the CAM releases you will see that all the models have to be obtained from their original uploads and there were complaints about that making things difficult.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Mister Giggles

Barby: Well, darn. I guess that's about right...can't just steal people's work. Are there any options you're pondering to get permission on a mass scale to do CAMification?

BarbyW

All options with NDEX have been explored and we simply cannot get permission.

Mister Giggles

Curious...what is their inhibition to letting their lots get CAMitized?

BarbyW

I have no idea but we were refused permission apart from Superstar, Ill_Tonkso and dragonanime.

M4346

Barby, what about Dusktrooper? I mean, some of his stuff is here on the LEX, he's a member, and, well... what did he say? :P

Also, Barby has not yet mentioned that nothing prohibits anyone from making CAMeLOTs of their Models even if they refuse permission to host the models themselves. The only thing that is different in that case / situation is the added difficulty of countless dependencies and a dependency witch-hunt ensues.
New Horizons Productions