• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Roskilde Cathedral

Started by vester, March 30, 2008, 03:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vester

These Cathedral have been tempting me for a while, been seeing it out the window for the last year and for my first 16 years.
The construction of the church is believed to start around 1170 with the choir. The church was almost finish in 1282 except the northern tower and the vault between the two towers. As it stands now, it has done since 1924, where Christian IX's chapel where finished.

Well the octagonal burial place outside the chuch was finished in 1985.

You can find some more pictures of Roskilde Cathedral here. Its a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Here is how far I have got now:

Most of the model is just boxes to get the sizes of the church and the different chapels in place.

Wikipedia on Roskilde Cathedral

TheTeaCat

Well thats an excellent start of a very impressive building &apls

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

threeswept

Yes, I agree...great start! And, one can never have enough cathedrals in ones cities, now can they. I'm really drawn to the architecture of this particular one, too!

vester

Thank you both.

Here is a little update, showing the Cathedral from the games 4 views:

Have moved Frederik V's Chapel, the one with the dome out 2 meters from the church to correspond with RL.
Have mostly worked on the Magi chapel, the one next to Frederik V's.
The church is 88 meters long, 68 meters wide and 75 meters high.

jeronij

This is a quite ambitious project, and the start is great so far  :thumbsup:

I'll keep an eye on this development  ;D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Pat

Vester you caught my attention here with this wonderful Catherdral....  I love Cathedral's in general, their design is just so breath taking and I cant wait to see what you do...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

vester

Thanks for your comments.

Haven't been trying to get the dimensions right for the last chapel, but I just can't make it work together with the rest of the church.

Here is a picture of the last chapel (the Glücksborgian chapel):

Taken today in some of the last light today.

Pat

Vester that pic you took looks real sweet and I do hope you can get the angle worked out..

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

rooker1

Very nice picture vester.  Any new pictures on where you are at with the Cathedral.

Robin  :)
Call me Robin, please.

vester

Here is an update for you:

Have reworked this last chapel a few.

Pat

Vester that is looking real good and the shape seems to flow a bit better!!!!

CabraBuitre

Looks good Vester!  I look forward to seeing it progress!

Check out Abelfarei!

vester

Nothing much to show, but here is a small update:

Trying different ways to add windows the round wall on the chapel:

vester

ScottFTL

This is looking wonderful, Vester!   :thumbsup:

lerist

vester

Have added textures to the chapel:

It was pain in the ***, to add textures to the roofs on the corners. Using the normal UVW Maps was no option.
Had to use separate texture for it and just apply it with out an UVW-map, and work with the tiling.

Andreas

I can imagine that the complicated shape was a huge amount of work, but wow, it looks great with textures, even though they will receive some more adjustments. :)
Andreas

N1_2888

As I've just read this cathedral was the first built in Brick Gothic style. And it seems that this BAT will also be the first of this style in SC4. :) Keep at it! ;)

Meine Region E Pluribus Unum

Glenni

Ah yes, Arne, this looks really good, i wonder how you did the round windows though?

I have always had trouble trying to make windows for round or otherwise irregularely shaped BATs... :(