• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BAT Lighter Needed

Started by DrPepper, January 16, 2008, 12:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrPepper

Yes, I am not very good at lighting BATs. As you see heres my latest BATs. Its not High quality yet, but I have several that are not lighted. I need a generous BAT lighter to light these BATs for Me. I have no team, I am bymyself, lol. I will need someone who is dependable, and is very good at lighting these BATs. All my BATs are skyscrapers. This is a preview of my latest; Garden Towers.

Thx if you volunteer for this opp!

PS; I will give more screenies of my others! ;)

-DrPepper  ;)

R U A Great Bat Lighter? Great I need one!
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=3571.0

cogeo

Wow, these are huge! One suggestion, get the special huge camera light rig (for tall buildings), you will get better lighting/shadowing effects. Also the tool that assigns random nitewindows (if you are using this technique).

As for the lighting I think you should first decide how your BAT should look like (which is not clear in this pic). Some few suggestions:
- Add some distant Omnis and set the attentuation/decay parameters so that the buildings walls lie within the transition area (ie not fully lit or dark). This can emulate quite well the "ambient" lighting coming off streetlights.
- Don't make lights too bright (unrealistic) or too dim (hard to see ingame).
- Don't neglect to set the "Casts Shadows" property for new nitelites (default off).
- Use some "small" lights for some specific parts of your BAT if needed. Setting the attentuation parameters carefully can limit lighting to a smaller area, not affecting the rest of your BAT. So you can use as many lights as you need, without worrying if your BAT will look "overexposed".
- White light colour works almost perfectly for almost all BATs. Don't be tempted to use coloured (or even tinted) lights, unless you want some special effects (to limited areas only).
Nightlighting is quite easy, as most concepts, terminology and property settings are quite self-explanatory. I had hard times learning concepts like splines, extruding, meshes etc, etc, but learning the lighting techiques was easy and with very few problems, never felt stuck or wondering "how to do this". Plus it's very easy to test, you can preview within the BAT program in draft mode; of course textures will look awful, but lighing is applied very accurately.

Hope this helped.

Pat Riot

^unless your working it 3ds, then nightlighting can be a PIA. ;D

jeronij

This thread is closed.

The picture is a fake   :D  :D

This member is a clone  $%Grinno$%

This member has been banned  ::)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary