• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Can I use NAM to change transit fares?

Started by zombones, January 16, 2010, 12:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombones

Recently I tested how much I could make with transit fares.  Basically, I  had two bus stops, each with over 2,000 sims using it.  But I only got a little over $100 from fares. 

I have figured out how to change the toll rate of custom toll booths with the I-Live Reader.  Is there some modification to the NAM simulator that changes transit fares?

Korot

Yes there is, I forgot the name of the property, I know it starts with Income, but it can be found in the Traffic Simulator. But please, only alter this property, and don't touch the others, unless you know what you're doing.

Regards,
Korot

zombones

Hey Korot, you helped me with that answer on Simtropolis also.  But I forgot to ask if this works for you.  It does not work for me.

If it does, what traffic sim are you using, and what other NAM files do you have?  If you don't want to list them, just post some screenshots and we can compare.

First two are the main NAM folder, and the second 2 are the NAM Plugin folder

Korot

A: Why do you have multiple zone data view files?
B: I'm pretty sure that the traffic plugin file should be in the main NAM folder, not the plugin folder. Also, which traffic simulator you have, shouldn't alter the procedure. I also use Simulator Z, but I use the high capacity version, Euro edition, v2.1.
C: The file I currently have isn't altered, but the one I had before, was modified by me to have a higher transit fare for busses. That is the reason that my industrial tile had a healthy balance: around 40k of income from traffic fares. Before this modified version, this city was losing around 10K month, and had almost no traffic income, only some income from a toll booth (Census repository). I didn't alter bus coverage after modifying the file, thus there must be a way to increase traffic fares using the traffic simulator.
D: I'm unable to find this modified file, I deleted it once I got Sim Z v2.1, and although I don't empty my bin that often, the file wasn't in it. Ergo: Could someone with some more knowledge of the Traffic Simulator please show up and give us more information?

Regards,
Korot

zombones

I deleted the unnecessary data view files, and moved the trafficsim file, and still no effect, just so everyone knows.

z

Simulator Z will be coming out with a configuration program very soon that will allow you to alter the transit fares to your heart's content.  I'd recommend waiting for that, as this program will not allow you to accidentally mess up crucial parts of the traffic simulator.  Watch the Traffic Simulator Z Development and Theory thread for an announcement.

But if you absolutely can't wait until then, the property to change is "Income per tile by travel type".

zombones

Thanks for that z, but I'd like to know why Korot deleted his modded file?  Did it screw up the traffic or game?  If not, I'd take the chance of using a modded z file

shlarin

Will changing fares help alter mass transit usage?  Like if your mass transit systems are constantly crowded, raising fares might discourage its use much like raising taxes for a region that is growing too fast to keep up with its supporting infrastructure..

z

The only effect changing the fares has is on your city income.  Like tolls, the Sims don't actually pay them; the city just collects them.  So the Sims really don't care what they are.

zombones

Quote from: z on January 16, 2010, 03:35:54 PM
But if you absolutely can't wait until then, the property to change is "Income per tile by travel type".
I changed that from 0.0001 to 0.7 but there is no difference in fare revnue

z

Quote from: zombones on January 16, 2010, 05:23:48 PM
I changed that from 0.0001 to 0.7 but there is no difference in fare revnue

The fare changes affect only newly-built tiles.

zombones

Oh, it turns out the fare revenue is calculated with how much bus traffic there is in the traffic graph.  That is pretty dumb, in my opinion.  But if there is no other way, I guess I could accept it.  Bus traffic was approx. 1250 and fare was .5, so there wasn't much revenue.  So I upped the fare to over $1, and expanded the busway, and now I have over $2k in transit fares.

I can not wait until the new transit fare changer from NAM comes out, since I will have to change up the simulator probably.

Few Questions
1)  Will the new fare-changer have it so that the higher the fare, the less likely sims will use the system? 
2)  Will the fares apply to the whole region or just the city?
3)  In the "Income per tile" property, the description says it calculates for "walk, drive, bus, passenger rail, truck, freight rail,subway".  That's 7 variables.  When I open the property, there are 9 variables.  What are those variables?

z

Quote from: zombones on January 17, 2010, 05:21:38 PM
Oh, it turns out the fare revenue is calculated with how much bus traffic there is in the traffic graph.

No, it's per Sim per tile.  The graph shows the number of trips.

Quote1)  Will the new fare-changer have it so that the higher the fare, the less likely sims will use the system?

No.

Quote2)  Will the fares apply to the whole region or just the city?

They apply to wherever you use the traffic simulator.

Quote3)  In the "Income per tile" property, the description says it calculates for "walk, drive, bus, passenger rail, truck, freight rail,subway".  That's 7 variables.  When I open the property, there are 9 variables.  What are those variables?

The last two are el train (including GLR and trams) and monorail (including HSR and BTM).

zombones

Thanks for answering my questions.

However, with "sims per tile," do you mean how many sims use each bus stop?  If so, calculating 2000 sims per bus stop (4000 total) multiplied by the fare ($1) should yield $4,000 but it only yields some somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000--the number on the graph

z

No, it's simoleons per Sims per tile traveled.  So if a Sim travels 100 tiles by bus, the city collects 0.1 simoleons.

Korot

Quote from: zombones on January 16, 2010, 03:45:13 PM
Thanks for that z, but I'd like to know why Korot deleted his modded file?  Did it screw up the traffic or game?  If not, I'd take the chance of using a modded z file

I didn't screw up anything, but as I already said, the modded file was the simulator found in the current NAM. I since have been beta testing v 2.1, which isn't found in the NAM (yet), and have forgotten/don't see the need to mod the file again. With the Euro version I'm testing, the income generated is high enough as it is right now, small losses, but since the next step is doubling income, I won't do that.

Regards,
Korot

zombones

How far along is a "modify fares" modd coming along?  When is it expected to be released?

z

We have an alpha version working.  There is no official release date, but I would expect it to be ready soon.

zombones