• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Re: The Deltan Empire - 30/01/13 Update 32 - Kanalka Bay Bridge

Started by apeguy, January 01, 2012, 01:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apeguy

This MD will tell the story of the Deltan Empire, on the fictional planet of Alterra. For the forseeable future I will be focusing on Deltania, the "head state" of the Empire, but I hope to move on to other parts of the Empire eventually. Although I don't plan to show much in the way of construction and development, instead showing everything in its completed state (much like my old MD, it's just my style) I will provide some history of the cities I showcase.

CONTENTS:

PAGE 1 - Hasbury Key Northern Suburbs, Hasbury Key Industrial Areas, and South Hasbury

PAGE 2 - Horizonte de los Ninos and Hasbury Passage

PAGE 3 - Hasbury Key Downtown and El Nino Pequena

PAGE 4 - Refuge Islands and Hasbury Key at Night

PAGE 5 - S.E.H. Project Phase 1 and Introducing Kanalka City

PAGE 6 - Kanalka City Centre, Brockencyde, Kanalka City University, and Westkey

PAGE 7 - Ethnictown, Marina Gardens, Old Downtown, and New Downtown

PAGE 8 - West Side, North Point, and The Old Port

PAGE 9 - Sunset Avenue, The M169 Motorway, Newport, and the Northern Ghetto

PAGE 10 - S.E.H. Project Phase 3, Map of Deltania, Kanalka Creek, and the West Side Docks

PAGE 11 - Arena City, the Magnificent Mile, and Grand Bayou

PAGE 12 - South-West Suburbs, Wilberforce Harbour, Southside, the Abandoned Airport and Kanalka Bay Bridge

Indroducing...

Deltania (will hopefully be replaced with a banner soon)

SUMMARY:
Founded: 1651 by the British Empire, first colony known as Soleanna
Gained Independence: 1721, after six-month civil War
Empire Created: 1948
Current Capital: Delta City, former capital Soleanna
Government: Imperial Tricameral Constitutional Monarchy
Current Monarch: Emperor Alexander I
Population of Empire: Approx 2.5 billion
Number of countries in Empire: 52, excluding Deltania and dependent territories

Flag of the Deltan Empire

Flag of Deltania

Map of Alterra (click for larger image, compatibility view may be needed for full zoom)

Map of the Deltan Empire (No larger version)

Click this for a Map of Deltania.

The head state of the Deltan Empire, Deltania's history goes back to the mid-17th century, when the British Empire were starting their colonisation of Alterra. In 1651 A small trading post was established on the north coast of the Catalan Sea, and this eventually expanded as the colony expanded, and more were founded. By the start of the 1700's Deltania was a prospering and expanding colony, and more colonies had started to be built along the coast, harvesting sugarcane and trading valuable goods. The expansion was exponential, and 9 more colonies were created between 1680 and 1700.

In 1721 the united colonies of Deltania engaged the British in a six-month civil war and emerged victorious. A new nation was created from the 10 colonies, which became the first 10 counties of Deltania. A new monarchy was created to rule the country, and a parliament similar to that of the UK. A further 52 counties were created between 1731 and 1897, as the country expanded its territory northwards, competing with the Dutch, the Spanish, and the remaining British colonies in the area for space and resources, as well as the native kingdom of Tabora. The key behind the nation's success was its large workforce and abudant natural resources, particularly coal and later oil.

The 20th century saw a great period of change for Alterra, mainly due to the worldwide Alterra War that lasted from 1935 to 1947. In the aftermath of the War the entire world was in turmoil, as the governments of many countries collapsed, and financial markets fell apart. Alterra was about to slip into total chaos. In 1948, as a last-ditch attempt to save the nations of Alterra, the Alterra Council, the planet's governing body, ordered the creation of the Three Empires, one of which being the Deltan Empire. The three empires were ruled by the three nations most unaffected by the war, in terms of financial and infrastructural damage, as well as political stability.

The Deltans led the allies in the Alterra War, and the allies were annexed into the Deltan Empire, as well as those freindly to Deltania and the main allies. The Empire also annexed the english-speaking nations of Alterra. A long period of peace and prosperity followed, from 1950 to 1990. This period was known as the age of expansion After this a global depression caused by uncontrolled population growth took hold, once again putting the planet under strain.

Fortunately the 21st Century brought salvation to Alterra, as technological advances in energy and food production stabilized the world's economy. Unfortunately in 2050 the prosperity of the Deltan Empire ended as it was forced into a 15-year war with a deadly terrorist group that very nearly wiped out the empire. Since then, the Deltan Empire has been preparing to re-take its top spot on the world stage. The year is 2083. This is the Deltan Empire.

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

apeguy

I have the first update ready to go. So without further delay...

A tropical paradise of wide beaches, azure blue seas, seaside resorts and huge mansions set in a chain of narrow islands hundreds of miles long. This is what awaits those travelling to Barrierland, the "Deep South" of Deltania. Although not a seperate county, instead being divided amongst three counties, the image and culture of Barrierland couldn't be more unique from the mainland, with its image of luxury, leisure, and wealth, a world-famous film industry, and the reputation of a world-class holiday destination.

The part of Barrierland I'll be showing you first is near the western end, directly south of the Mouths of the Delta, where the Imperial Capital, Delta City lies. This part of Barrierland (also known simply as the Barrier Islands) is home to its largest city and unofficial capital, Kanalka City. (unofficial due to the fact Barrierland is not a seperate county.) However, I am in the process of redesigning Kanalka City, so the first part I'm going to show you is Hasbury Key, a large town of nearly 90,000, situated about 4 miles east of Kanalka City. The town is simply known as Hasbury, the "Key" being the peninsula that it's built on. Peninsulas like this are common in Barrierland, and many towns are built on them.

Hasbury Key was founded in 1703 as a small fishing port and trading post. However with the construction of the Sugarcane Railroad in 1845 brought much growth and prosperity to Hasbury, as sugar from Kanalka City was sent here to be processed and packaged. Even today Hasbury Key has a thriving industrial area, as well as being a premier holiday and shopping destination. This update we're visiting the north.

(facing north) This is the old core of the town, with the central square surrounded by the town hall, the train station, and several high-end shops. The Mediterranean-style Garden in the centre was built in 1883 after the Mayor of Hasbury went on a holiday to Italy, and wanted a peice of the country in his hometown. The Oasis Garden as its known gives the Town Centre a unique feel.

(facing north) The northern half of the town centre is more modern, with more offices than the southern part of the town centre. The skyline of the town centre is defined by the Hasbury Copper Company Building (Better known as the H.C.C. Building or simply the Copper BUilding) and the neighbouring Margate Tower. They were built in 1932 and 1954 respectively. The H.C.C. Building was the tallest building in Hasbury key and the Tallest building in Barrierland outside Kanalka City from 1932 to 1967. Although small, its design is opulent and luxurious, indicating the significant wealth of the company in the first half of the 20th century. The Margate Tower, despite it outwards appearance being far more bland, was available only to the highest paying tenants, as its suites were the best that 1950's Hasbury had to offer.

(facing north) Moving North-East from the Town Centre we come to Trotter Park, home of the Hasbury Trotters, famed for being Barrierland's first Professional Baseball team, founded in 1874. Surrounding Trotter Park are large mansions, being convenient for being between Downtown and the old Town Centre. The park itself was laid out in 1862, and the current stadium was built in 2045, after the previous outdated one was demolished.

(facing east) West of Trotter Park is the BarryTech Arena, built in 2062 and owned by weapons giant and defense contractor BarryTech, founded in 2046. It experienced dramatic growth during the 2050's during the Inferno War, as the Empire struggled against an apocalyptic terrorist group and needed, affordable, reliable weapons. The arena is usually host to Cage-fighting tournaments, which many deem brutal and barbaric, but they still draw the crowds. BarryTech also use the arena for their larger conventions and exhibitions.

(facing south) The most famous sports team in Hasbury is their football team, the Hasbury Park Rangers. The current stadium was built in 1949 and has been in constant use by the team ever since. It is also used for school and college tournaments. The Quinton trading estate was built on cleared waste ground about two decades later, and now plays host to a variety of popular retailers.

(facing south) Zooming out from the stadium we come to the Hasbury Marina, the largest in the Barrier Islands. It was built in 2012 as part of a waterfront regeneration project, and with came luxury apartments and new retail and office development, completely revitalizing the Northern waterfront.

(facing east) And now we come to the most affluent area of Hasbury Key, West Beach. Only the wealthiest can afford homes here, with huge gardens, garages for four cars, an excellent school nearby, and only a few minutes from the beach. Random fact: The largest mansion in the pic is home to the owner of fast food giant Cecil Burger.

(facing east) Moving slightly to the south-east the West Hasbury School comes into view. Although like all national schools enrollment is free, it has the high teaching standards of a private school, and is partly responsible for why West Beach is such a desirable area to live.

(facing east) Moving towards the south of the neighbourhood, where luxury boutiques and even bigger mansions can be found. The giant mansion, number 1250 Sentablo Avenue, is the largest stately home in Barrierland, and was originally built in 1807 for the wealthiest sugar tycoon in the Barrier Islands at the time. Today it is joint-owned by the owner of Barrytech and the founder of Imposter Studios. These two companys are everywhere in Hasbury Key and Kanalka City, and are examples of the capitalist culture of Barrierland.

(facing north) Moving south from the mansions of West Beach we come to Hasbury Common, the largest Urban Park in the Barrier Islands. In the picture is the Green and the Great Pond, which is great for fly-fishing and boating. The park was created in the mid-1800's in an effort to slow down the urban sprawl and conserve some greenspace for the town. The results were more than successful, with the park being hugely popular with the residents.

(facing north) The entire Common and its surroundings. The tall building to the south of the Common is Hasbury Central Hospital, built in 1967 and became the tallest building in the town when completed. The Armoury and Barracks between the Common and the Trading Estate is owned by BarryTech, and is one of many that the company owns in Deltania. The Empire allows Certain companies to harbour their own security forces, and BarryTech controls the largest private army in the Empire.

(facing north) South of Hasbury Common is Kenton, where the industry meets the suburbs, and the rich live among the poor. Kenton fringes the industrial part of Hasbury, and once had rows of terraced houses for the workers. These have all since been demolished, and now apartment blocks and shops take their place. A whole range of people live in this neighbourhood, making Kenton a very diverse place. The Kanalka Bay lifeboat station and Armand Co. Crawfish Canning Plant are also in Kenton.

(facing north) To the east, gentrification has taken hold in Kenton, with the Kenton Shopping Centre boasting dozens of high-end shops. Kenton is officially seperated from the Town Cenre by the Central Distribution Road, which runs the entire length of the town, and acts as a backbone to the transport system in Hasbury Key.

(facing north) South of the Town Centre, between the railway and the beach is the attractive neighbourhood of Clinton Gardens. This neighbourhood is home to many middle and upper class families, and many of the houses date from the early 1800's. This part of Hasbury is also home to the Prince's Hotel, the largest and most luxurious hotel in Hasbury Key, being the hotel of choice for most VIPs visiting the town and built in 1884. The nearby bathing house was built ten years later. TOday it functions as a museum.

(facing north) More leafy suburbs further south. The Clinton Gardens Cemtary is the second largest in Hasbury Key.

(facing north) Further west from Clinton Gardens, the area known simply as Central Hasbury, recent regeneration has taken place, with new apartment blocks built, as well as new shops and offices. The train station is one of five in the Hasbury area.

(facing west) Along East Beach, large apartment blocks have been built on the beach, providing affordable and highly desireable homes with instant beach access. The picturesque beaches have always been a major attraction for people since the late 19th Century, and even to this day the beaches are very popular. In fact, if it weren't for the extensive beaches and waterfront areas, Hasbury may never have escaped from its industrial roots and become a commercial and tourist centre.

(facing west) A night pic of the H.C.C. Building. The Hasbury Copper Company was founded in 1879 by local man Joseph Burlington, who opened a small smelting plant in the West Hasbury industrial area. Demand for good quality copper in Barrierland was high, and this allowed the company to expand, opening a further three plants in the Barrier Islands. By the end of the 19th Century the company was famous for its high quality and low prices. the profits allowed the company to build their impressive headquarters building. However, competition from companies further north meant that the company went into decline by 1960, and by the 1980's the company only had the one smelting plant. A small memorial was erected to remember Joseph Burlington, who was also a highly charitable man, and donated millions to help the poor in Hasbury.

Another night shot centered on the Central Station. The statue in the middle of the roundabout is dedicated to the Hasbury Hussars, who led the charge at the battle of Kumba Fort during the Taboran Wars, in the Early years of Deltania's Independence.

Well that's it for this update, the next update will show the industrial area of Hasbury Key, as well as its industrial docks. Hope you enjoyed this update. ;D

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

RickD

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

DerChrischi

what a beutiful start. I want to see more.
I don´t like the coloaur of your water, but this ist the meaning of a noob?  :P  :D

Kergelen

Nice start!
I specially like the work near the beach  (buildings and flora) and the Hasbury Common. :)

Links to SC4 websites

apeguy

Well it's time for update 2, and this time we're visiting the Industrial Areas of Hasbury. Although all of Hasbury is ready to show, I'm spacing it all out so I have time to re-do Kanalka City to a good enough standard to show. But before the update, the replies...

Quote from: RickD on January 04, 2012, 12:56:46 AM
That is a lot of background information. I like that.

Thanks! Like I said, I will try to provide some history to go with the pictures to make it a bit more interesting and in-depth. :)

Quote from: DerChrischi on January 04, 2012, 01:49:28 PM
what a beutiful start. I want to see more.
I don´t like the coloaur of your water, but this ist the meaning of a noob?  :P  :D

Thanks for the nice words. As for the water, are you talking about the brightness? The reason for that is this region is tropical, and so I got a tropical-style water mod. Also the water surrounding Hasbury Key is quite shallow, compared to other areas of my region, where the water is deeper, darker and opaque.

Quote from: Kergelen on January 05, 2012, 12:26:50 PM
Nice start!
I specially like the work near the beach  (buildings and flora) and the Hasbury Common. :)

Thanks, I'm glad you like the beaches,  it's probably what I'm best at when it comes to MMPs and fine detail. ()stsfd()

Now let's get this show on the road. The Industrial Areas of Hasbury are still just as extensive as they've always been, but over the course of the 21st century The Heavy Industries such as Oil have declined. Oil was once a huge business in Barrierland, as most of Deltania's offshore Oil would have to go through the Barrier Islands. Since Oil became obsolete as a fuel and power source in the 2010's production in the Empire took a sharp decline, and today the only Barrierland Oil Port in business today is Kanalka City. Today, Hasbury Key's industries are mostly light manufacturing, but its two huge sugar plants are still open, as well as its docks, although they're long past their heyday.

(facing north) We start this update with Neverlyn Park, a sort of crossroads of rich and poor in Hasbury. Here you can see a stark divide between the rich and poor, accentuated by the Central Distribution Road. The Tower Block, Nine Circles House, was originally one of five tower blocks built in 1961. The other four were torn town and people were relocated to better housing, and Neverlyn Park was built in their place. The large building to the left of the image was a Coal Power Plant that was built in 1947, but was decomissioned in 1987 when the town became powered by the Kanalka City Nuclear Power Station. Today it's used as a warehouse.

(facing west) Moving west from the park we come to the South end of Kenton. Here we can see a relic of the Oil Industry that was once so important in Barrierland. This was once the Hasbury Key Distillation Facility. Today it's a chemical plant. In the top centre of the image is one of Hasbury's two sugar mills, the Dominion Sugar Plant. This was built in 1932, and to this day it still processes sugar.

(facing east) This is Hasbury Docks. As you can see, the docks are relatively empty most of the time, as most ships heading to Barrierland go to Kanalka City. The decline of Hasbury Key's Docks started after the Alterra War. In the early 1950's, ships started to get bigger, and the Hasbury Docks were not capable of handling the bigger ships, as the water surrounding the Key was too shallow. Also the expansion of Kanalka City's docks sped up the decline of the docks. Today only local businesses and small shipping companies use the docks.

(facing east) Further down the docks. The container ship currently at the docks is the largest ship that uses the docks these days, and is owned by a Hasbury-based shipping company, the head office of which is to the right on the other side of the road. Also in the top centre of the image is the first smelting plant opened up by the Hasbury Copper Company, and the only one they own today.

(facing north) Now we come to the beating heart of the Industrial Areas - The Trainyard. First built shortly after the Sugarcane Railroad was connected to Hasbury in 1844, it has been in constant use ever since, and has also had small expansions over the years. Many companies in Hasbury rely on the trainyard to move their goods, and helped sustain the industrial area of Hasbury during times of deindustrialization in Barrierland.

(facing north) On the left side of the Trainyard is the Owen Farlane Sugar Mill, opened in 1848. This once provided hundreds of jobs to those living in the Kenton neighborhood, and it's significance to the economy of Hasbury has made it a local landmark. Even today it processes most of the sugar grown in Kanalka City's Urban Farms.

(facing east) A random shot of the Parsons Junkyard. Handling most of Hasbury's Scrap Metal, the Junkyard has been in business since 2014.

And to finish off, a night shot of the largest factory in Hasbury Key. Lockhart Motors was founded in Kanalka City in 2059 and specializes in big cars ideal for city cruising, with all the classic lines of the cars of the 1960's and 70's combined with all the modern amenities that people come to expect from the cars of the late 21st Century. Although they are very popular in the Southern counties of Deltania, Barrierland especially, they still have a long way to go before they become one of the big names in Deltan Cars.

Well that concludes this update.  in update three we'll be going to the southern part of Hasbury, with more suburbs and industry, so stay tuned! ;D

dedgren

Nice backstory, good maps and eye-pleasing presentation.  Oh, and did I mention big railyards?  It looks like Deltan Empire is off to an excellent start, and I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.

One question- that water looks awfully clean to be adjacent to so much heavy industry.  You'd think there'd be at least old boots in it or something.  A minor fribble, though.

Good luck!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

RickD

The railyards are really great and I like the story about the decline of heavy industry. And yes, some underwater plants would improve the pictures of the docks.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

apeguy

Just posting a teaser shot, replies will come when I post the next update. ;)

nbvc

noahclem

Great job on both updates!  &apls  An excellent start that I must apologize for not catching sooner   ;)

The industrial area and rails from the last update are my favorite but the parks and nicer neighborhood from the first one are also quite nice.

About the water: I think it fits great with your beaches and MMPs so if you like it then I say keep it--if you throw in a boot for David  :D  However, I would make the non-beach shorelines deeper (besides looking better this will also eliminate those boat shadows).

Looking forward to more  :thumbsup:

EDIT: Sweet teaser!

Kergelen

Great industrial district. I like it. :)

And the recycling center is a great idea! Very well done &apls

Links to SC4 websites

carlfatal

Really nice MD here! This park in the first update, the idea to imaginate a complete history on Your empire, to place it on a nice planet and draw maps...  &apls
Then also i like Your industrial developement and especially the work on the railways.  :thumbsup:

Keep Your good work on, i have to come back soon,
greetz, Carl

apeguy

Well it's time for update 3, and it's HUGE! Today we'll be visiting the Southern parts of Hasbury Key, and seeing the first glimpse of the Barrier Beaches, the wide stretches of sand on the seaward side of the Barrier Islands. But first, the replies...

Quote from: dedgren on January 09, 2012, 04:06:35 PM
Nice backstory, good maps and eye-pleasing presentation.  Oh, and did I mention big railyards?  It looks like Deltan Empire is off to an excellent start, and I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.

One question- that water looks awfully clean to be adjacent to so much heavy industry.  You'd think there'd be at least old boots in it or something.  A minor fribble, though.

Good luck!

David

Thanks! I thought the railyard was relatively small in comparison to those you would find in real life, but I'm no expert on trains and railways, so I may be wrong. Regarding the water, this is set in the 2080's, and most industries have become relatively clean, but I will keep that in mind from now on, and put a bit of trash in industrial waters. ;)

Quote from: RickD on January 10, 2012, 01:30:21 AM
The railyards are really great and I like the story about the decline of heavy industry. And yes, some underwater plants would improve the pictures of the docks.

I'm glad you liked the railyard and story of Hasbury's changing industries. As for plants, I would use gizmo's underwater flora, but I can't find his site anymore. ()sad()

Quote from: nbvc on January 11, 2012, 12:41:28 PM
Great work with your updates and interesting teaser. &apls

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Quote from: noahclem on January 11, 2012, 12:42:54 PM
Great job on both updates!  &apls  An excellent start that I must apologize for not catching sooner   ;)

The industrial area and rails from the last update are my favorite but the parks and nicer neighborhood from the first one are also quite nice.

About the water: I think it fits great with your beaches and MMPs so if you like it then I say keep it--if you throw in a boot for David  :D  However, I would make the non-beach shorelines deeper (besides looking better this will also eliminate those boat shadows).

Looking forward to more  :thumbsup:

EDIT: Sweet teaser!

Thankyou for the nice reply. ;D At least you've caught up while we're still on the first page, rather than having to get through 5 pages of updates. :D I'm glad you like the industrial areas and the upscale neighborhoods, there will be a lot more of both of those when we get to Kanalka City, and there will be deeper water too, it's just that Hasbury Key is surrounded by shallow water.

Quote from: Kergelen on January 12, 2012, 12:31:05 AM
Great industrial district. I like it. :)

And the recycling center is a great idea! Very well done &apls

Thankyou. The junkyard was really just a space filler at first, but it ended up fitting in perfectly with the surrounding buildings and the railyard. ()stsfd()

Quote from: carlfatal on January 12, 2012, 12:01:04 PM
Really nice MD here! This park in the first update, the idea to imaginate a complete history on Your empire, to place it on a nice planet and draw maps...  &apls
Then also i like Your industrial developement and especially the work on the railways.  :thumbsup:

Keep Your good work on, i have to come back soon,
greetz, Carl

Thanks! I'm pleased that you like the maps, I have a map of Deltania that I'm working on, it may be a while before I finish it, but keep a lookout for it. ;) And like I mentioned before, there will be plenty more industrial areas when I finish working on Kanalka City.

Now, we come to South Hasbury. Most of this part of Hasbury was built during the 20th Century, as the town started to fill up the Key completely, and so the suburbs started to spill out onto the surrounding areas of land. The reasons for this growth was to replace the squalid housing that housed much of the lower class, as most of it had been destroyed during the Alterra War, a global conflict that englufed most of the world between 1935 and 1947.The Barrier Islands were hit hard by continuous bombing campaigns, in an effort to destroy Barrierland's coastal defences that protected the mainland behind.

(facing east) The first place we come to is East Beach Gardens. Slightly nicer than the East Beach Estates further north, this is an wealthy area, but even here lower cost apartments can be found.

(facing west) Just a couple of blocks away is the lower-class area of Wilson Farm. Named after a farm which was (at the time) just outside the town, the owner sold the Farm to the town and on the land they built terraced housing for the poorer workers in the industrial areas. Nothing remains of the farm today. Hasbury Key had few farms, due to the fact that the only suitable land for farming in the area was Hasbury Key itself, and this had been mostly built on by the end of the Alterra War. Also, Kanalka City's farms were far more productive, and meant that Hasbury's farms were little competition.

(facing west) More of Wilson Farm. You can see to the right high-end businesses starting to encroach on the area. Gentrification is a chronic problem in the Barrier Islands, and is particularly prolific in Kanalka City. The main reason for this is the number of people wanting to live in Barrierland, due to its fine weather, extensive coasts, and the image of a life of luxury and leisure that is so often associated with this part of Deltania. Fortunately for the most unfortunate residents of Hasbury, many of the affordable areas have laws against redevelopment, to ensure that the lower-class residents still have a place to live.

(facing east )Moving further west we come to Alison Mills, a neighborhood where, much like Kenton shown in previous updates, industry meets the suburbs. Just like Wilson Farm, gentrification has been controlled here too, with only limited high-wealth development. The neighborhood is divided by the Central Distribution Road. (the avenue running left-right) The area was built during the Alterra War, despite bombing threats, and today is home to a number of small businesses and industries.

(facing east) further west we come to the industrial areas of Alison Mills, which also includes the southern part of the Hasbury Docks. This part of the docks is home to the Blackford Boatyard, the largest boat repair shop in the area, established in 1934. Coolfruits Bottling Plant, to the left of the image, is a popular fruity soft drink in Deltania, and was invented in 2054. When it's headquarters moved to Kanalka City in 2067, it moved its bottling plant to an abandoned Chemical Plant in Hasbury Key to increase production. The shiny building opposite the plant is a fabrication plant for medical robots.

(facing north) This is the Port of Hasbury, where the docks are managed from. The quarantine centre is located here, as well as the Hasbury Port Authority Building and Workers Union. (the narrow brown building behind the docks) The Port of Hasbury is the fourth busiest in Barrierland, and mostly handles domestic cargo, with a couple of small shipping companies operating internationally. And following the advice of David, (dedgren) I have added some rubbish by the docks, most of which is cargo tipped overboard from ships during bad weather or careless workers.

(facing north) Zooming out you can see the entire area of suburbs that is known simply os South Hasbury. The majority of the area was built during the age of expansion, when people were relatively well-off and could afford large houses. This means that most of South Hasbury's homes are relatively large, and therefore expensive. The huge roundabout was built in 2014, and is by far the busiest part of the Hasbury Road Network. To the left and right is Sentablo Avenue, which follows the coastline and meets up again by the Hasbury Marina. To the north is the Central Distribution Road, which runs down the centre of the town and serves several neighborhoods, and can become very busy during rush hour. The road to the south is a spur of the M105 Motorway. A monument to people from Hasbury lost in the Inferno War is currently under construction, after several year's delay caused by lack of funds.

(facing west) Just east of the roundabout we come to the South Hasbury Boardwalk, a pleasant beachside neighborhood created in the 1970's. As well as homes, high-end shops and offices have also appeared in the area, making the boardwalk the most desirable part of Hasbury Key for offices after the Downtown area. Many people own boats, but due to the fact there are no docks, they have to put them by the beach or store them elsewhere.

(facing west) Further up the boardwalk. There is a wide variety of architectural styles in this part of Hasbury, which makes the area a very distinct and individual place. The park behind the boardwalk is Horatio Green, built in 1956. The running track and playing fields were added in 1962.

(facing north) To the south-west of South Hasbury (try saying that 5 times quickly) is the neighborhood of Whittaker Park. This area was built during the 1950's, to help replace lost housing from war damage. The main road that runs through here is one of only two major roads that link Hasbury Key and Kanalka City, the other being the M105 Motorway. This means that the road can get congested at times.

(facing north) Now we come to the park itself, once an open area surrounded by isolated farms, it was preserved as a park in the 1930's in order to help slow the suburban growth. This was much appreciated by the residents, and is popular with the children, with the secondary school to the right of the park. (not shown)

(facing north) This is the main railway junction for Hasbury Key, hence its name. When the sugarcane railroad was connected to Hasbury in 1845 by this junction, it allowed sugar from the fields of Kanalka City to be sent to Hasbury's mills to be processed and packaged. This brought both jobs and revenue to the town. The Junction had a major re-alignment in 1949 to accommodate two new railway lines. The Hasbury Junction Industrial Estate was built in the late 1970's and is sandwiched between the Railway Junction and Junction 4 of the M105.

(facing north) Moving to the outskirts of Hasbury, we come to Junction 5 of the M105 Motorway. The unique design of the junction is due to the lack of space for a ramp for the westbound slip road on the north side of the motorway, and so the overpass had to be squeezed between the motorway and the rest of the junction. The underpass links the junction to the avenue further north. There are no slip roads for the other direction due to Junction 4 being too close to add ramps due to weaving issues. However, there would be little need for these slip roads as most of the traffic on this stretch of the motorway is between Hasbury Key and Kanalka City, which is to the west. The large area of waste ground is currently being surveyed to see if it would be a suitable location for a new train station, to replace the smaller one further west.

(facing east) An overview of East Horizonte, which as its name suggests is the eastern part of Horizonte, the westernmost part of the town of Hasbury, although residents consider Horizonte a seperate town. To the left of the railway you can see the centre of the neighborhood, and the original core of East Horizonte. When it was a seperate village in the second half of the 19th Century, it was a cattle ranching area, and many of the large farmhouses remain. Many are now apartments. Although the town was divided when the motorway was built in 1967, there is still a closely-knit community here, despite the gentrification of some areas.

(facing north) Barrier Beach - stretching for hundreds of miles, the Barrier Beach is actually several beaches, but they are commonly referred to as one. They are hugely popular with surfers and windsufers, as they are on the seaward side where the waves are bigger. This is one of the defining images of Barrierland, one of the reasons people are so desperate to move here. This part of the Beach is usually relatively quiet, but further along the coast there are numerous beach resorts, taking full advantage of the extensive beaches in this part of the country.

(facing north) Moving east along the coast, just out side Hasbury and Horizonte, is the Ocean Church. Built in 1950, the unique architecture of the church made it a local landmark, and in 1991, a refuge for people after the great Tsunami. But more on that in a later update. The Cemetary across the road was built in 1856 and has been expanded several times, the last expansion being in 2066 to make way for soldiers killed in the Inferno War. Today it's the biggest cemetary in the area.

(facing north) Moving east again we come to what used to be a training facility. Soldiers were sent here to be trained in Littoral (coastal) combat. The facility was built in 1954, less than a decade after the Alterra War, in order to better train soldiers for coastal invasions, after heavy losses from battles in the Alterra War during coastal invasions. When the great Tsunami hit in 1991, it destroyed most of the buildings, and those that were left were damaged beyond repair. The tetrapods that lined the beaches were thrown across the land like beach balls, and destroyed anything in their way. The trees across the road were snapped like matchsticks by a barrage of water and concrete. Some made their way nearly a mile down the beach, and are still there today The trees still haven't grown back, as the marsh areas created by the Tsunami were poisoned by some of the machinery from the facility. After the Tsunami the facility was left to fall apart, and nature is now slowly claiming it back.

(facing north) Further down from the facility. Due to the prodominately westerly winds and ocean currents, some of the tetrapods were carried westwards. The two surviving piers were once part of a group of piers where the facility's boats would have been moored.

(facing north) Despite the loss of the sea fort, there is still a military presence in Hasbury, but not the Imperial Military. This base is one of many owned by BarryTech, and houses their Hasbury Key security forces. Due to the fact their headquarters are located in Hasbury, this is one of their largest bases, home to over 1000 soldiers, 22 APCs, 6 tanks, and many other vehicles. Their largest military installation is at their factory, which is 2000 miles north, in a remote desert location. The area of cleared land to the south is being prepared for the construction of a high-tech indistrial estate.

(facing east) To the east of the BarryTech base Hasbury is expanding eastwards, as the new South-East Hasbury development starts its first phase. It is due to be completed in a couple of months. (stuff gets built very quickly in the 2080's)

(facing north) And the final image of the 21-pic bonanza, the attractive little neighborhood of Blue Lagoon. Originally built around the turn of the 20th Century, it was named after the small sheltered bay to the west, which had crystal clear waters despite the slow currents and sheltered location. A bridge was built to the north (not shown) in 1943, and became the main route into Hasbury from the east. Today the village is part of Hasbury Key, and as the South-East Hasbury project is built around it over the coming years, it will be swallowed up by suburbanization.

Well I hope you all enjoyed this gigantic update, as always constructive criticism is always welcome. Next update we will be heading west to Horizonte de los Ninos, so stay tuned! ;D

Kergelen

Very interesting update!  &apls
There are many things I like: the distribution of roads, the large "roundabout", the port area and the beach.
Also special is the M-105 Junction 5, and the church near the beach with the large cemetery.
Great work! :thumbsup:

Links to SC4 websites

Battlecat

Stunning start so far!  I really like how you're thinking big with a lot of your developments so far (the park with the bike lanes is massive)! 

The map and the extensive story are a fantastic addition.  The detailing is superb as well, I'm looking forward to seeing more!

ThomasAH

Nice updates. I especially like the way how your beaches and industrial zones worked out. Lovely details!

zzsteven

This is a really nice MD. I like the background story that goes with the pictures and tells a tale of its history.
Hasbury Commons, the railyard/ junkyard, and the Ocean Church with its cemetary ( maybe a few to many trees in the cemetary?) are things that stand out in my mind. I like how they each stand out but still fit in with their surroundings.
The tsunami damage to the trees was especially good, how nature reclaims or recovers is an area I'm still trying to master.

Your MD has been an enjoyable read and I look foward to the next update.

zz

Framly

Great MD! What a mess missing some Updates :(

I really like your Bat-choice!  &apls

Keep it on my friend :thumbsup:

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team

Cyclone1001