• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Incomplete render on two directions BAT+Gmax

Started by MoltresRider, February 14, 2023, 03:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoltresRider

I am having an issue with BAT and Gmax with a specific model. Every time I render the model, two directions are rendered incomplete on all zoom levels

This is what the model is supposed to look like: https://i.imgur.com/kaTca1F.png

However, when I rotate the model, I get this: https://i.imgur.com/R9JHIoA.png

It is the same in Lot Editor. I was hoping that it was a lot editor bug but unfortunately, the model IS indeed incomplete in the game as well.

I have tried to re-render the model a number of times but the same thing happens every time, two of the four directions have incomplete rendering.

I thought that maybe it was the textures. They were in BMP format so I replaced them with jpg versions but the problem persists. Still getting incomplete rendering in BAT and Gmax

I do have the ModelNames.ms fix but it is still doing this

The model is only taking 1780 seconds to render with the quality at High. This is incredibly fast given the size of the model. I have had smaller models take 3500 seconds to render. I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that two directions are incomplete.

It sucks because I added a bunch of properties to this lot in ilives to make it a jack of all trades lot.

The model is not broken in Sketchup Pro. This is what the model looks like Sketchup: https://i.imgur.com/NfMOzYd.png

Does anybody know what could be the problem and how do I fix it?

P.S. surprised that there is no dedicated BAT sub forum.

art128

Can you post a link to the 3Dwarehouse model? I will try to render it in both gmax and 3dsmax to see If I get this issue as well.

I've been rendering a lot of 3d models I didnt create recently and some of them have shown this same issue when rendered.
My initial diagnosis would be some geometry are modeled as one face (like a plane) like it's very widespread in the 3d modeling world, and that invisible face is facing the camera.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Odainsaker

This looks like flipped normals, a common problem when importing models from one format or software like SketchUp into another like Gmax or 3ds Max.  Normals indicate which side of a face of a polygon in 3D geometry is inside versus outside, or, more loosely, front versus back or visible versus invisible during rendering.  Not all software treats 3D geometry in exactly the same way, users model within the strictures and quirks of their own programs, and I have the impression that SketchUp is somewhat loose in its operations regarding the orientation of normals.  When these models are imported into another format or 3D rendering program where the normals must be treated more strictly, issue arise with the inconsistency in determining which way, inwards or outwards, all the individual normals point, with many messily pointing in the wrong direction.  These "inverted," "reversed," or "flipped" normals render as seemingly random invisible faces or inside-out models.

To fix this, you have to "flip" the normals back from their inversion, likely manually on a face-by-fase basis, either initially in SketchUp or afterwards in Gmax or 3ds Max.  The Simtropolis thread "BAT - Getting Started Guide / FAQ / Resources / Help" has help on doing that.