• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Threestooges and the BAT

Started by threestooges, January 14, 2008, 04:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmouse

Matt, that's going to be a fine-looking bridge when you finish with it. Other than constructive comments already made, there is one thing I'd try to change - the third photo shows it best. Would it be possible to knock out the center support - the one that sits directly in the water? In RL, debris from upstream would catch on it and possibly undermine the whole structure. Besides, it hides the beauty of the stream.

I love the overall design, especially the wooden base, so I'll be watching the progress on this one for sure!

Later...
Joan

threestooges

Replies:
Back around the internet again, and I thought I would give some proper replies this time.

-deathtopumpkins: The pic you showed was just too good to pass up. I just threw some basic textures on it and I'm probably going to try to 'age' it a bit. Even though the 'new bridge' thing looks nice, it's not often you see them that way.

-Pat: Always good to hear your encouragement. I haven't checked yet, but any further progress with the building?

-Chris: You are right. Right now the LODs are literally boxes. I'm afraid that if I make them too complex, the game will throw a fit when it tries to draw it. I will see if I can blend the base into the ground better though... if you have any thoughts let me know. Also I will try to look over your bridge when I get the chance.

-Joan: There is a bridge with an arch or raised center portion in the works (I just have to figure out, or find someone who knows how to RUL). This one is designed to cover mainly dry washes, or longer expanses. Perhaps I'll look into spreading out the supports or something though as you do have a point about debris.

Well, time is starting to run out again here... they only give 30min at a time and there is a line, so I will see what I can come up with for the weekend and hopefully show some developments then. Thanks again for all of the thoughts, it really helps me see things that I probably wouldn't notice otherwise.
-Matt

Chrisadams3997

For this the LOD's don't need to be that complicated.  The vertical supports could be incased in a single box, then the cross beams would each be copied(assuming they are a simple box, otherwise you'd have a simple box closely enclosing the more complex geometry) and attached to the LOD for the vertical ones.  But if you'd like, you can send it to me once the basic modeling is all done(I wouldn't need textures, just geometry) and I could make the LOD's for it in no time :thumbsup:.

Chris

paroch

Hi Matt,

great work you've got here.  Lift bridges are a bit alien to me.  I don't recall seeing one in the UK (although I am sure someone will tell us where there is one).  But it certainly looks an interesting project.

As for the latest wooden trestle bridge - that is a real beauty.  I look forward to seeing it develop throught o the LEX.

And congrats on joining the ITC team :thumbsup:

Paul

CasperVg

Looks really nice, can't wait to have it in game  ;)

@ Paroch, good guess; there's the Kingsferry Bridge in Kent  :P
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Monorail Master

WOW It is nice to meet someone else named Matthew on this site. Well I'm just wondering if you can make the bridges for OWR, AVE, or Ground Highway that look like the level bridges on the Bridge/tunnel complexes in the Hampton Roads area (the cities of Hampton, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Newport News, and Chesepeke) in Virginia? Like the Chesepeke Bay Bridge-Tunnel or the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel. Picture below.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Pat

Hey Matt yes actualy a little progress between RL stuff and Podcast preping... I got the thumbnails done for both lots  for the 6x6 and the 3x3... Next up will be the readme's and then finally up and away!!!  I gotten both lots to grow and that has been a hold up for awhile, yes I know of Buggi's extra cheats but that is fine but I like a good challenge to grow stuff lol...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

Replies:

-Chris: Thanks for the ideas on the LODs. I'm trying to keep them as simple as possible, but I would be happy to let you take a look at them. I've also been looking at the bridge thing, have you heard from smoncrie yet (I've been away for the last week and haven't been able to keep up with developments)? For right now, I have a quick new project on the burner right now, as you'll see below, but that bridge is next. If oyu don't mind my asking, do you do this sort of modelling stuff for a living, or how did you get invovled in it?

-Paul: One thing I've noticed about this site, is that if you ask a question, you'll tend to get an answer. Thanks for the compliments on the two bridges and ITC thing, I still have a few things to work through on them, but they're getting there.

-Casper: Thanks, and thanks for the link to that bridge.

-Matthew (Monorail Master): I think there are a few more of us around here (though I think the Davids around here hold the lead), but it's good to meet you. It is certainly possible to make bridges for OWR, AVE, and at this point pretty much any transit network available. I'll be putting something together about it in theBridge Engineering Department, and if you are interested, give it a shot. As far as a bridge/tunnel goes, it would need islands (like the real ones) to anchor the bridge and start the tunnel. If you have any questions on the process, just let me know.

-Pat: Good to hear that things are going well (both for the lot and the podcast). Glad to hear they will grow properly too.

Now then, onto the next update. While I fiddle with the LODs for the trestle, I've started work on a project for David (dedgren) in Three Rivers Region which, if you haven't seen or posted in before, go check it out, it's great stuff. There will be a few versions of the basic telephone pole: 1 crossbar, 3 crossbars, and 1 crossbar with a transformer thingy. Each of these will have the following angles: 18.4 (for use with FAR/FARR), 30, 45, 60, and the basic 90 degree iterations. There was an odd problem in the renders of a few, but here's what's going on so far:

If anyone has suggestions for the odd renders there, please let me know. Most of my solution revolves around re-rendering, but that takes time. Depending on how busy work is this week, I may have some pics to show on the two bridges too. There has been progess, but none of it is really picture material, if you know what I mean. Thanks for all the thoughts everyone, i hope to have these things done before school starts up again.
-Matt

deathtopumpkins

Those poles are looking good! Those are good wood textures too. You should try them on the trestle, if you get a chance.

About the poles, though: What is the feasibility of using t21 exemplars for the poles so they don't have to be on a lot, and they just automatically show up along roads?

Matthew (Monorail Master/Mr. Monorail Man): I was considering that very same thing the other day, and I might give it a shot, as all I've got on my project slate right now are a few simple, yet tedious things, and it would be nice to dabble with the bat again. It also helps that I live about 10 minutes from the HRBT (but you already knew that  ;)), and been stuck in many tunnel closures, giving me plenty of time to study it. I'll see what I can do, and PM you if I make any real progress. I've never tried bridges before, but this site has everything I could ever need to know on it, I'm sure.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Jmouse

Love the poles, Matt, and paid my respects here.

Later...

Joan

Chrisadams3997

Quotedo you do this sort of modelling stuff for a living, or how did you get invovled in it?

Heh, nope, just figuring it out as I go like most of us.  I just happen to like figuring things out ;D.  As for the poles, Matt beat me to the texture fix(over at 3RR), but they are looking great.  Smoncrie sent me a PM several days ago indicating that he was looking at the bridge as well, though I don't know how far he's gotten.

Chris

Diggis

Matt, have you got the BAT update?  It looks like game textures meaning you aren't getting new group ID's in your lots.  Common issue, and you need the update from the maxis site (or possibly here, not sure)

threestooges

Take a busy day, add a bit of nature into it (the shaking kind) and things get interesting. As some of you may already know (apparently it made national news) a 5.4 earthquake centered 8 miles under Chino Hills, CA, which is approximately 20mi north of where I live, occurred around 11:30am this morning. It shook my place pretty good for about 30sec to a minute and, from what I hear, the biggest thing was a few cracks in the runway at John Wayne Airport (just down the street). On the plus side, it slowed things down for my morning, and things went smoothly at work. At any rate, I'm fine, and I hope everyone else in southern CA can say the same. With that said, there is no update tonight, but certainly some replies are in order:

-dtp: Funny you should mention the pole texture and the trestles... they're already on there, and they look much better. Now I'm just trying to get the LODs to behave. The use of T21s had occurred to me, and was my original intention for  them. The only thing is, I have no idea how to do them. I know David has some plans for them in 3RR, lot-based or not, which I'm sure will solve a few problems. If you have any bridge questions, let me know and I'll see if I can offer any advice.

-Joan: Thanks for the thoughts, and as a novice BATter myself I take that as a fine compliment. The dimensions are listed in 3RR, let me know if you need anything more.

Chris: Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on the bridge... not a very good job as bridge moderator on my part, but I will try to take care of it during the weekend if Smoncrie hasn't gotten back to you by then. As for the poles. I could have sworn I had all the patches, etc. Would you happen to know specifically which one he was (or you are) referring to (and could you provide a link)?

-Shaun: Same as my response to Chris, I thought I had everything I needed for the darn thing (apparently not) and the same thing goes: if you happen to know where to find it, could you provide a link?

Thanks again to everyone for all of their help and support in this thread. I'd be curious to know what if anything was said about the earthquake outside CA. I've been through a few of them and, as long as they aren't the big ones, they an interesting ride.
-Matt

Jmouse

You're very welcome, Matt. I don't sling compliments around like buckshot, but when I like what I see, I say so! I would be delighted for the opportunity to borrow your phone-pole models, but let me explain the idea to you in a PM first so you can decide if they would be of any help.

And glad to hear you're OK. I have a cousin in Fallbrook who I've been thinking of all day, but nothing has come through the family grapevine yet so that's good news, too.

Later...

Joan

deathtopumpkins

Oh. Well, glad they look better. Any pictures soon?
I don't even have the slightest idea either, but there should be tutorials on here, or you could talk to people who do. I'm sure it can't be that hard.
I'm still reading through all the tutorials and bridge-related threads, but I'll be sure to send you a PM if I have any problems.

Hope your house and everything's fine after the quake.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Chrisadams3997

Glad everything is ok Matt.  As for the LOD's, unless there is something I'm not thinking of, these shouldn't need anything but a plain box LOD.  The main reason you'd have to have it closer is if it's going underground, or if you've got 'depth of view' issues.  Or to simplify that somewhat cryptic statement, if one element of the model has to show in front of a given prop, and part has to show behind.

And I'm not sure where you'd download the script update now, as I can't even find the 'official' SC4 site anymore :D, so I'll just save the trouble and attach it here.  It needs to replace the script of the same name in your "Gmax root folder\gamepacks\BAT\scripts" and it'll fix up that problem right up.

Edit:  While on the subject of scripts... I make this utility for 3ds Max the other day, but thought it might come in handy for LODing you're bridges, so I converted it over to GMax.  It's a basic utility that makes a copy of a selection and converts into into a single editable mesh, named LOD_, that can then be renamed LOD3 and copied to make 4 & 5, or attached to a present LOD.

Here's an example from my dairy queen model using the tables from inside(just as an example).  You can see the originals, then the LOD_ mesh(which I moved to show it next to the original models).  This is best used for lower poly items that need a close fitting LOD(such as the pilings and crossmembers of your bridge ;) ), as you'd never want an LOD with 2200 poly's..., but you can also(and I'd advise it) add an optimize modifier(under editable mesh modifiers) to the LOD_ to cut the poly count down if you're using geometry that's moderately high poly.  I cut the poly count on these seats from about 6900 polys down to the 2200 seen with the optimize modifier...

It's a fairly basic utility and doesn't support grouped objects(just ungroup them--or a copy of them--first), and of course the selection should only include geometry(no shapes--e.i. splines--or lights, dummy objects, etc.)--Now Parses out any incompatible selections and ungroups geometry as well, e.i. will work no matter the selection.

Just place it in the "startup" folder inside the directory where the ModelNames script goes and it'll appear right under the BAT rollouts.

Pat

Matt I am glad to hear you are OK and all is well.... Man I know I can handle wind blowing aka a tornado but the ground shaking under me umm yea I think I would loose my marbles lol....  So I will not take it shaken but stirred please lol.... sorry bad pun  :D  Anywho Matt I hope you get the poles straighten and the bridges fixxed up from the little shaker....

BTW to answere one of your questions at leasthere linkie for script fix on bat just scroll down to where it says about the script...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

Replies:

-Joan: I hope you were able to get through to your cousin, though I'm sure everything is all right. I hope the poles were useful for you. I think I've about wrapped them up for my purposes, but I hope you'll let me know when you're ready to show your work.

-dtp: There will be a picture with this update (though not of the trestle just yet). The trestle is next on the list since it is almost done, so pictures of it will be coming up soon too. The apartment held up quite nicely during the quake. It knocked my plate off the table, but at least I had finished lunch by then. I've looked into some T21 things, but for right now, I'll leave that to David and the other FAR(R) people.

-Chris: I think the LODs are there. They are just basic boxes, but for some reason the first test gave some weird graphics where the supports entered the ground. The script fix appears to have worked and the poles are now finished. As far as the 'official SC4 site that links to societies, the old site can be linked to at the bottom of the page (took a little searching). I will try that lod creator when I get back to the lift bridge... I can tell that it'll need it. I'll have to remember that optimize step too. Thanks for the help with with, and I'll look forward to seeing your next creation.

-Pat: Coming up next from double-0 six (on the richter scale) studios, a recently revised version of the poles (that actually shows the poles). Inspection and engineering crews are checking over the bridges, but there appears to be little damage if any from the seismic event and production should continue on schedule.

It's surprising how fast time can pass, but here it is, what seems to be a week and a half later, and I have a pic of the poles to share. There are three full versions: single cross bar, single with transformer, and a 3-bar. Each has standard, 18.4, 30, 45, 60 degree rotations. Height is 14m and corssbar width is 3m (if memory serves). There is also one with those metal steps. I don't know if the steps are too big, but thoughts are welcome on all of them. They may be making a debut in 3RR at some point soon.

-Matt

Pat

Matt them poles are looking very very sexxxie!!! Man I wish they could be converted to get rid of them high tensions wires that maxis has siiiiiiiigh....

City Builder

Quote from: Pat on August 07, 2008, 07:25:07 AM
Matt them poles are looking very very sexxxie!!! Man I wish they could be converted to get rid of them high tensions wires that maxis has siiiiiiiigh....

Totally agree, they look great.

I absolutely hate the ones that Maxis supplied, giant red and white industrial, cross country power poles that I wouldn't normally see in any commercial downtown areas in Los Angles or any other place that I've lived in for the past 40+ years.  Sure we see them out in the sticks, where they run across the state to move the power, but if you looked at SC4's cities and had to run them instead of using the zoning for power transfer good golly would all my cities be ugly as sin.

Anyway, that wasn't supposed to be the point of my post, just wanted to say that the power poles look great.

I've been thinking about this problem of power poles (not too much as I don't want to have an anurism or something) but I've seen power poles that look good, but don't actually supply any power, and it makes me wonder why people don't just make the power pole model and then give it the attributes of a windmill or some other electric supply function.  Then one could use the power poles to make nice long runs of power lines and only have to place a "real" power pole next to a zone where they need power, then they get the great look of some user created power poles, and some functionality to some degree.  I know I'd use them.  In one set all I had to do was make sure the ground was pretty much level so that the landscape under the pole didn't turn black and the power wires lined up.

Just rambling my thoughts on this.
When your tired of games of destruction, come to CityBuilderGames.com to discuss games of Construction!
Oh!  Thanks for the negative rep, I love you too!