• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

European House Add-on (EHA) by Gn_Leugim

Started by gn_leugim, July 30, 2012, 12:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankU

Quote from: MrMAvE94 on August 01, 2012, 05:52:09 AM
In Dutch it is almost the same as in German. Billige means cheap and arme means poor. In Dutch arme means poor, too. In Dutch cheap is goedkoop. I would say goedkope appartementen in Dutch, because arme appartementen sounds a bit weird to my ears; and I would go for billige Apartments in German.

It looks like a nice project, so keep it up. :thumbsup:

I can agree with that. But...

Another option, in my eyes a bit better, is: Goedkope Flatjes.

Why not Appartementen? Because Appartementen has a hunch of luxury in its name. For many years we called apartments: flats. When people thought (somewhere in the 1980ies) that this sounded too common, they took the word appartement for their flats. Especially for the higher priced ones. And this hunch of luxury is not what you want here.
Flatjes is a word derived from the English word: flat, meaning an apartment without stairs or other kinds of differences in floor heigth: the floor of the apartment is flat. When we put a lot of them next and on top of each other we get a flat. A highrise apartment building.

So that is for flat. but what does jes mean? Well, we the Dutch are fond of diminutives; words to say that something is small. A huis is a house, a huisje is a little house. A flat is an apartment building or an apartmanet, a flatje is a smal apartment building or a small apartment.
So this small building of yours, with cheap apartments, I'd say: Goedkope Flatjes. Cheap small apartments. But it also tells us Dutch that the building itself is small too, although the words do not say this explicitly.

Language is a very tricky and intriguing thing! The more detailed you look into it, the more complex it becomes.

Nice model by the way.
As an architect I have one question: how many apartments are there in this building? I see only one door in the narrow facade. Where are the stairs? Is there a corridor along one of the long facades in order to make all apartments accessible?

WC_EEND

Re: Frank's comment above: In Belgium we don't say flatjes, we still say appartementen to refer to social housing, so yeah, Goedkope appartementen or flatjes, it's up to gn_leugim to decide really.

Xander
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

gn_leugim

QuoteSo that is for flat. but what does jes mean? Well, we the Dutch are fond of diminutives; words to say that something is small. A huis is a house, a huisje is a little house. A flat is an apartment building or an apartmanet, a flatje is a smal apartment building or a small apartment.
So this small building of yours, with cheap apartments, I'd say: Goedkope Flatjes. Cheap small apartments. But it also tells us Dutch that the building itself is small too, although the words do not say this explicitly.

well, this kind of explanation will be very usefull latter when I come back to older models I need to check language before uploading (I'll bring it up here then)

so, so far it is like this:
Default: Poor Terraces
UK/US English: Poor Terraces
French: Appartements Populaires
German: Billige Appartments
Italian: Appartamenti Popolari
Spanish:Balcones Pobres
Dutch: Goedkope Flatjes (went for this one has I like the way the word Flatjes describes better the place ;) )
Portuguese: Varandas Pobres

meanwhile I know what is the next target to BAT. the spamming "R$16x30_4EuroBoxyApt6_0202"

QuoteAs an architect I have one question: how many apartments are there in this building? I see only one door in the narrow facade. Where are the stairs? Is there a corridor along one of the long facades in order to make all apartments accessible?

Well although I do look to the building architecture, for realism sake, (usually) I don't follow a blueprint, just some sketches made on paper for a general idea. but yes, the idea is pretty much that, a corridor running all along the long side, with a stair case in the middle, that ultimately ends up in a trap door (that thing in the middle on the roof)

And btw, thank you all for the support :)

DebussyMan

Seems like there's a lot of discussion over something as simple as a name.  $%Grinno$% But I think the name "Terrace" is misleading. In english, I believe "terrace" means the same as "row house" and not so much to refer to an appartment with balcony. I think Poor flats, or poor appartments would be a better translation. Same goes for spanish (I don't know if its common in Spain), but here i've never heard "Balcones" as a term for appartments. Departamentos pobres (or "populares" as well) sounds better.

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

gn_leugim

@DebussyMan: thank you, I'll have that in consideration :) and yes, quite a argument on names alone, wonder what will be when I bring on new models :p

speaking off...

a R$16x30 block apartment ^^ textures to come next ;)

Sciurus

It's a very nice building, I wait for the texures, I know they'll be very good. &apls

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Flatron

nice model, but I have a question: will the buildings grow if I have a maxis-blocker installed?

gn_leugim

@Sciurus: thank you. I guess I will have them ready by tomorrow maybe, worst case scenario Saturday :p

@Flatron: I am afraid not. there are two kinds of blokers if I remember well, one of them blocks by setting the maxis lot stages to 255 (or other ridiculous number, can tell for sure) so they never grow. As these buildings grow on them, if you have this blocker you won't see them growing.

EDIT:

Ok, I went to a search and I found them both.

this one made by Dusktrooper bloks by tile setting, so no change on the lots themselves so my buildings should grow. However, this is incompatible with CAM mod.

this one here, by BSC team is the one that messes around with the maxis lots. with this one on, you wont see them growing.

kbieniu7

Hi! If you would find it useful, I could help with translating to Polish  :)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

gn_leugim

Quote from: kbieniu7 on August 03, 2012, 04:23:11 AM
Hi! If you would find it useful, I could help with translating to Polish  :)

that would be nice, one more language to add (and I couldn't do it on my own :) ) thank you

edit: the building is pretty much textured, just making scale adjustments and lightnings :)

edit2:
after finishing here it is :)

The last one as you may know is the maxis counterpart, for reference ;)

Name suggestions, anyone? (only in english for now)

art128

Nice work on both modelling and texture, my friend. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

gn_leugim

thank you :)

a small update to fix the oversaturated red part of the walls :)

FrankU

Very nice building!
Why not: lousy apartments or lousy terraces?

Sciurus

That's great. The red texture is indeed less satured, and it's better like this! :thumbsup:

L'atelier d'architecture

gn_leugim

Lousy Apartments, sounds good ;) thank you!

that was the point ;) thank you!

So, I thought, maybe I could make some more variation, so I made 3 new textures ^^

jmyers2043

Cool! These look nice. What is the scale? A three story building should be the same height as other 3 story buildings.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

gn_leugim

thank you :)

well, they are at the same scale of their maxis counterpart 3 story hight, but I have to admit, in the euro tile set, the maxis buildings are not very consistent with the scaling. don't know if the other tilesets suffer from the same, but as I wanted to make something to blend in with the maxis buildings, I follow that particular building scale. in this particular case, it may be a bit tad overscaled.

jmyers2043

Quote from: gn_leugim on August 08, 2012, 02:02:04 AM
.. I follow that particular building scale. in this particular case, it may be a bit tad overscaled...

Very good. I am pleased that scale is a consideration for you. As I said, nice buildings. I think what caught my eye in the first place were the variations of color.  :thumbsup: 

Good Luck

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Sciurus

It's nice to make colour variations! It gives some diversity! :)

L'atelier d'architecture

gn_leugim

thank you both :)

now, can you spot the one thing wrong right on this picture?

Did I heard custom fundations?? I guess you are right.

I just have one doubt, I will make two color variations. shall I do it on the base colors (blue or red) or on the plaster color (beige or grey)?