• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiimeiser

This situation never crossed your mind?

Also, some really terrible half-minded attempts at alternate texture sets, which shows the extent of my art skills though it kind of gives an idea of what can be made. Discretion advised.

Road

RHW-2

MIS

RHW-4

A TuLEP

Street

Magical Tri-rail

Note that it's not a serious attempt, it's very lazy. It's just an example.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on October 30, 2013, 11:20:25 PM

It has crossed our mind, but it might have been something that either slipped through in the original specs, or in the conversion to P57.  The old FLEXFly system has been effectively moved over to legacy status, so bugs with it are not a priority.  The new FLEXFly, however, likely won't see implementation until NAM 33 at the earliest.

-Alex

memo

Magical Tri-rail

Oh, I love that. You could create a texture set for RRW. Also, how about magical Quad-Rail?

GDO29Anagram

<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

APSMS

That should go away when you drag it out and then re-drag the 6C bit. The random clicking method doesn't work as well for FLEX-Fly, but dragging (for me) works rather well.

e.g. this interchange, which is rife with starters, but was absurdly hard to override. It works, though.

It's worth noting that I am using the E-series controller, but it didn't change the issue you mentioned above, nor, iirc, does it really affect FlexFly much.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

MandelSoft

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on October 31, 2013, 12:11:50 AM
So, uhh...

Yeah.
How the heck did you manage to do that!? I'd love to learn that trick!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: MandelSoft on October 31, 2013, 02:49:23 AM
How the heck did you manage to do that!? I'd love to learn that trick!

I remember looking up something about putting a pattern on a path in Inkscape, so I looked into it again and tried it once more. http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Extensions-GenerateFromPath.html#Extensions-PatternAlongPath

My initial tests showed that all objects should be paths, and to avoid chunkiness, each path should have additional nodes. I found it easy to just chop things into small bits (individual lanes, shoulders, etc) and reassemble it at whim, but when I reassembled it, I had to put it in an invisible 256x256 square (I work using 256x256 specifications but I export at 128x128) to properly centre everything.

Then I would call the extension (Extensions --> Generate from Path --> Pattern along Path) and use these settings:

This can be used to mimic radial bending that Markus showed us, but the path doesn't have to be a circle. It certainly is easier than having to do this, which is what I had to do for the longest time:

<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Shadow Assassin

That's the Inkscape version of the method I use for the new FA textures, with a couple differences. Nice job! :)

Speaking of exit gores, what is the right way to terminate the yellow line as it joins mainline RHW? Is it actually specified, or does it not really matter?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

MandelSoft

The yellow line should end where you would like to start the (possibly imaginary) chevrons on the ramp.

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on October 31, 2013, 03:57:44 AM
<snip>
I should definitely try this out. Would be useful for ramp interfaces. :thumbsup:

puzzled5543

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on October 31, 2013, 12:11:50 AM
So, uhh...

Yeah.

I have reason to believe this is relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rkg1Wa0zOw

Is it bad that this makes me want to turn the one way roads yellow and make a video of driving on it :P

strucka

Has there been any consideration to create elevated (esp. L2) lane transition pieces? For example, there is the RHW6S-L2-D1 ramp. And it would be good to have transition piece at least for L2-4S to L2-6S.

Haljackey

My Ultimate Goal With The Real Highway Mod Has Been To Make Something Like This In SimCity 4:

http://www.youtube.com/v/HTCX-Rjjw1E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTCX-Rjjw1E
(Worth a full screen HD watch if I do say so myself)

After 8 years of development, it's getting close!  :thumbsup:

Tarkus

Quote from: strucka on November 01, 2013, 07:15:03 AM
Has there been any consideration to create elevated (esp. L2) lane transition pieces? For example, there is the RHW6S-L2-D1 ramp. And it would be good to have transition piece at least for L2-4S to L2-6S.

That's been under consideration as long as elevated networks and wider networks have been under consideration--which would be about 6 years--but it's the models that are always the issue.  I don't anticipate that will be addressed by NAM 32, but we haven't forgotten about it.

-Alex

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: MandelSoft on October 31, 2013, 06:15:25 AM
The yellow line should end where you would like to start the (possibly imaginary) chevrons on the ramp.

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on October 31, 2013, 03:57:44 AM
<snip>
I should definitely try this out. Would be useful for ramp interfaces. :thumbsup:

Just keep in mind that with ramp interfaces, you will need to make heavy use of alpha masks so the lanes will blend together.

It's a little different to previous methods, but it should make things a lot easier for you :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Geometry123

A2 FlexFly over 8S has been infested by the pathbug. Haven't checked A1 yet, but I doubt that it's also infested by that pest. :P

You will never know when will the next NAM be released. Only time teasing will tell. :P

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game"
                                                 -Ocean Quigley

MandelSoft

Actually, that's the A1 FlexFLY. The A2 flex fly has no hatches in the Euro version.

Neo

Will there be more ramps for elevated networks in NAM's future?

Tarkus

Quote from: Geometry123 on November 02, 2013, 01:28:19 AM
A2 FlexFly over 8S has been infested by the pathbug. Haven't checked A1 yet, but I doubt that it's also infested by that pest. :P

Quote from: MandelSoft on November 02, 2013, 02:50:32 AM
Actually, that's the A1 FlexFLY. The A2 flex fly has no hatches in the Euro version.

That one's probably been there awhile, then.  Not being RUL-related, there's probably a greater chance of it being fixed, but still, because of the FLEXFly spec change, old FLEXFly stuff isn't near the top of the list, especially as that piece is still semi-functional (traffic can veer left--briefly reducing capacity).

Quote from: Neo on November 03, 2013, 06:26:50 AM
Will there be more ramps for elevated networks in NAM's future?

They've been planned for a very long time, but again, elevated stuff takes a lot longer to put together than ground-level stuff, due to the modeling involved.  Usually, there's several versions in between when a ground-level piece is introduced and its elevated counterpart makes it into the mod.

-Alex

Meeston

Philippines is not using a Rural Highway. expect NLEX and SLEX. where having rural parts of the highway.
this is Meeston. the best SimCity gamer.

samerton

Quote from: Meeston on November 04, 2013, 11:52:02 AM
Philippines is not using a Rural Highway. expect NLEX and SLEX. where having rural parts of the highway.

The RHW Mod is now named as the "Real Highway Mod", as it can be used in all situations, not just rural.