• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: dragonshardz on March 05, 2013, 07:42:10 PM
Just to confirm - are there ramps for L1 RHW-10S? Specifically, A-style ramps - the FLEXramps don't seem to be overriding correctly if that's what I'm supposed to use.

The only elevated (L1 and above) RHWs that have ramps are the RHW-2 and RHW-4--Type A1 and Type B1 are available as FLEXRamps for both, though I can't vouch for their stability.  We will not be adding additional L1+ ramps as part of our "fix" operations for NAM 31.1.  There's a lot of modeling that would need to be done.

-Alex

dragonshardz

Quote from: Tarkus on March 05, 2013, 08:52:43 PM
Quote from: dragonshardz on March 05, 2013, 07:42:10 PM
Just to confirm - are there ramps for L1 RHW-10S? Specifically, A-style ramps - the FLEXramps don't seem to be overriding correctly if that's what I'm supposed to use.

The only elevated (L1 and above) RHWs that have ramps are the RHW-2 and RHW-4--Type A1 and Type B1 are available as FLEXRamps for both, though I can't vouch for their stability.  We will not be adding additional L1+ ramps as part of our "fix" operations for NAM 31.1.  There's a lot of modeling that would need to be done.

-Alex

That's unfortunate, I was really looking forward to making ramps for elevated RHW-10.

mat

Hello there,

At first, simply my thanks and congratulations for all the job you've done so far. NAM (and co) is simply huge, and I can feel the lot a work it involves.

I wanted to share my feelings about the release 31.
This time, you broke the no 'deadline rule', and after the release, some react about instability issues.
This quite amuses me, because we read a lot of 'I need this now' posts few time before...

Someone wrote before, 'hey, that an huge live beta', and... in fact, there is some truth.
But please take no offense. Everyone measure how challenging NAM is, and I won't discuss on your skills to provide 5 stars content in terms of quality and creativity.
(on your free time, and without remuneration)
I'm sure that many people have fun with the new NAM, and maybe some simply downgraded.

To get the point, I am just wondering: why not a NAM beta?
I just humbly think, that it might be profitable for everyone:

- Impatient players have the new stuff early, and are happy to play with.
- Of course, they also get the bugs, that's the deal. So, it implies less testing for the NAM team. Because beta players should fill the bug tracker.
- End users may prefer wait a few months later, and get a stable release. 

In fact, many software developments are based on this cycle.
BUT, i don't know how easy it will for you to manage two branches (stable / testing), and their respecting releases.

Anyway, wish you the best :)

.mat

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: mat on March 06, 2013, 10:51:23 AM
why not a NAM beta?

Because traditionally, the NAM releases are the betas. Our dev cycle goes like this:

- Alpha (Always closed alpha)
- Release Candidate
- Full release (Beta)

NAM's in a state of continuous beta development, or at least that's been the perception all this time.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Indiana Joe

Yeah, every release has had bugs.  And they're always adding new stuff in a quite non-linear fashion.  (Personally I think it'd be easier if they made much more frequent, smaller releases with only a few new features added at a time to make bug tracking faster, and to keep impatient people happier, but that's just me.)

Tarkus

That's the direction we're headed, actually.  The scope of some things we were trying to do (P57, namely) kind of slid things into the crazy development cycle we just went through.

-Alex

Kuewr665

Quote from: Tarkus on March 06, 2013, 05:31:08 PM
That's the direction we're headed, actually.  The scope of some things we were trying to do (P57, namely) kind of slid things into the crazy development cycle we just went through.

-Alex

That's great to know.

Where are the RHW over tram-dual networking pieces? Were they excluded from this release?

Tarkus

Quote from: Kuewr665 on March 06, 2013, 07:59:01 PM
Where are the RHW over tram-dual networking pieces? Were they excluded from this release?

The one item I did show (L1 RHW-2 over GLR-in-AVE) did make it into the release.  But it's not a puzzle piece. ;)  There's a whole hidden side of the new NAM that no one has found yet.

-Alex

vinlabsc3k

My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

[Delta ²k5]

Quote from: Tarkus on March 06, 2013, 08:27:05 PM
There's a whole hidden side of the new NAM that no one has found yet.

%wrd

Edit: Nope, It's not this one :D

memo

The one item I did show (L1 RHW-2 over GLR-in-AVE) did make it into the release.  But it's not a puzzle piece. ;)  There's a whole hidden side of the new NAM that no one has found yet.

That's a good one. I can't believe I myself have just search through all the menues for it, when suddenly... :D

Kuewr665

Quote from: memo on March 07, 2013, 03:21:17 AM

That's a good one. I can't believe I myself have just search through all the menues for it, when suddenly... :D

Oh wow. I just did the same thing!

itsacoaster

Quote from: Tarkus on March 06, 2013, 08:27:05 PMThere's a whole hidden side of the new NAM that no one has found yet.

Holy crap, that is awesome.  I would never have been able to find it without a certain, uh, hint on this page, but I'll leave it for others to discover on their own.  ;D

jeremyp1223

I found it thanks to the "hint" and it is superb! Great work nam team members.

GDO29Anagram

I think you guys are missing something...

And the point.
<INACTIVE>
-----

jcluvzgamez

I can't figure out how to get the RHW to work in the little Easter egg.
I will take a burger and NAM. Yes I would like RHW with that. Oh and NWM with SAM topping for dessert.

Tarkus

To those who found the Easter egg--glad you're enjoying it. :)  It'll be expanded quite a bit in future releases--and there's actually quite a bit more it can do now.

Quote from: jcluvzgamez on March 07, 2013, 06:54:49 PM
I can't figure out how to get the RHW to work in the little Easter egg.

Run an L1 RHW-2 right up to the edge of one of the new draggable GLR-AVEs.  It'll create an override.  Drag the RHW network on the other side, and it'll continue as L1 RHW-2.  Other intersections work in a similar fashion.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

I can't figure it out. It's not the draggable GLR is it?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

If you haven't figured out the trick yet, it's simple.  Place an El-Rail stub directly over an Avenue.

-Alex

GDO29Anagram

<INACTIVE>
-----