• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gugu3

Haljackey

Cities: Skylines beats SimCity 4's 'out of the box' highways, but the RHW still has a huge upper hand on them, especially when it comes to realism.

Not that this is a competition, but these improved elevated curves are an example that SC4 will still amaze us for many years to come. :)

roadgeek

Quote from: Haljackey on March 12, 2015, 08:12:59 AM
Cities: Skylines beats SimCity 4's 'out of the box' highways, but the RHW still has a huge upper hand on them, especially when it comes to realism.

Not that this is a competition, but these improved elevated curves are an example that SC4 will still amaze us for many years to come. :)

Did somebody say ELEVATED CURVES?!?!?!?!  :bnn: :drool: %BUd% :party:
BTW, awesome vids on C:S! I hope they fixed that OWR issue that you ran into in Beta.

roadgeek

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on March 11, 2015, 09:35:38 PM
Let's hope our flood insurance covers accidental peeing and overkill drooling this time. If not...

Mops, towels, and washcloths are over at the left, where the bathrooms are. Buckets to catch your drool are down the hall. Rubber boots to prevent electrocution are to your right. The circuit breaker's at the back of the building, and the emergency backup generator should keep things up and running for about a few hours, at at best. Giant squeegees to push excess drool away are also where the rubber boots are, and be sure to push it all through the side entrance and not into the lobby; I just had the carpet changed last week.

Is there a stockpile of socks? I might need some new pairs after the BYSOI is shown.

roadgeek

Quote from: Tarkus on March 11, 2015, 05:04:59 PM
Development on NAM 33 is actually at the "feature freeze" state, in that we've stopped adding content.  But we haven't put all the parts together into any semblance of a complete build, and RL has slammed a bunch of us (present company included) pretty hard in recent months.  Because everything is kind of scattered--both content-wise and personnel-wise--it's really hard to tell when NAM 33 will be released.  It's going to take getting through what looks to be a very painful integration phase in our release engineering before we have any idea internally.

-Alex

Hmmm....perhaps a pre-release?

McDuell

Quote from: eggman121 on March 11, 2015, 08:11:14 PM

*finding my jaw on the floor and putting it back in place*

I very much like what I see here, in many aspects!    :) :thumbsup:

Elevated FLEXFly curves, and these in different heights and widths!
Have the 90° ones been done with only one piece by chance? I'm just thinking loud, because until now you either had FLEX pieces which are flexible in width and height, but could not be crossed by other RHW, or the FLexFly MIS which are the opposite. Are these now FLEX&Fly pieces?  :D

Then the 45° curves. It seems they are FLEX&Fly-ed as well. The flyover going westbound is way too smooth to have been done with a draggable curve. For a moment I thought that the normal dragged curves could have got the auto-smooth feature as in the (G)HSR.

Quote from: Tarkus on March 11, 2015, 11:33:54 PM
We may want to add additional coverage.  A Tarkusian BYSOI (Blow Your Socks Off Interchange) will be making a landing shortly . . . party like it's 2007.  8-)

-Alex
That's why I'm walking around bare-foot for the time being ...  :D
Eagerly awaiting a full stack teaser!  $%Grinno$%

----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

Tarkus

Quote from: McDuell on March 12, 2015, 01:01:12 PM
Have the 90° ones been done with only one piece by chance? I'm just thinking loud, because until now you either had FLEX pieces which are flexible in width and height, but could not be crossed by other RHW, or the FLexFly MIS which are the opposite. Are these now FLEX&Fly pieces?  :D

Then the 45° curves. It seems they are FLEX&Fly-ed as well. The flyover going westbound is way too smooth to have been done with a draggable curve. For a moment I thought that the normal dragged curves could have got the auto-smooth feature as in the (G)HSR.

For both angles, there's separate pieces for each height level, mainly for the sake of stability.  We were, from an efficiency standpoint, able to design things such that the 90-degree and 45-degree curves actually share much of the same geometry, which cut out a ton of code.  Credit to memo and eggman121 for their efforts on that front.

Mine's not a full stack, but it is a rather exotic and context-sensitive design, much like the original BYSOI from 2007.  Still might expand it more.

-Alex

compdude787

That interchange looks awesome! I just want to see if  you can do an RHW stack yet.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

roadgeek

Quote from: Tarkus on March 12, 2015, 02:34:45 PM

For both angles, there's separate pieces for each height level, mainly for the sake of stability.  We were, from an efficiency standpoint, able to design things such that the 90-degree and 45-degree curves actually share much of the same geometry, which cut out a ton of code.  Credit to memo and eggman121 for their efforts on that front.

Mine's not a full stack, but it is a rather exotic and context-sensitive design, much like the original BYSOI from 2007.  Still might expand it more.

<image removed>

-Alex

Sweet!!!  &apls I can hardly wait to start (re)building some of my interchanges! That 45o flex-fly has been requested for a long time, and
it seemed like it would never get done. NAM 33 gives SC4 the edge over S:C IMO. I love you guys!!!! The earlier image looked similar to PS, so I had
to contain my excitement somewhat. Now I have some drool that I have to clean up. Thanks a million!!!!

Gugu3

Great interchange Alex!RHW4 45degrees curves as well??? :bnn: :bnn: &apls &apls &apls &apls

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Gugu3 on March 13, 2015, 03:10:05 AM
Great interchange Alex!RHW4 45degrees curves as well???

No; just another FlexFly. As I stated before, draggable curves of that nature are impossible to implement due to INRUL interference with the 45 degree bends. Which is a bit of a shame since, 1, FlexFlys are a bit slope intolerant and using a FlexFly as an elevated curve is a bit of overengineering and an understatement to their true functionality, and 2, a truly draggable curve would mean that one curve can satisfy all 33 RHW override networks.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

strucka

While at the moment, I have tried the C:S and it proved to be a possible successor to SC4, it still has around 10-15 years of community mod development to get to the point where SC4 is. SC4 has long since been about the modding community. It's a good foundation, as is the S:C, but if there will be no room for the community making mods in the extent of SC4's NAM, CAM and thousands and thousands of others. S:C still has no chance!
So to a thriving community!
We (the humans) are only as strong as a community! When joined as one, nothing and no one can beat us!

To the NAM team. I just hate the looks of C:S transport systems. They're for little children and in a big need of modding.

roadgeek

Quote from: strucka on March 15, 2015, 08:20:13 AM
While at the moment, I have tried the C:S and it proved to be a possible successor to SC4, it still has around 10-15 years of community mod development to get to the point where SC4 is. SC4 has long since been about the modding community. It's a good foundation, as is the S:C, but if there will be no room for the community making mods in the extent of SC4's NAM, CAM and thousands and thousands of others. S:C still has no chance!
So to a thriving community!
We (the humans) are only as strong as a community! When joined as one, nothing and no one can beat us!

To the NAM team. I just hate the looks of C:S transport systems. They're for little children and in a big need of modding.

Watching the Simtropolis C:S videos, it is quite painful to watch Haljackey create those on ramps and off-ramps, and I can sympathize with his frustration. Who has 10-15 years to wait around for mods? Those fixes need to be made by the developers themselves, before I will spend my money on the product. I don't think Modders are capable of making those fixes.

My intro to NAM came when I was searching around for a stack interchange, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that a plop-able stack had been created for MHW. While the wait for RHW to produce stack capable curves, seems to be finally approaching an end, I have always found that I could always plop one of those MHW stacks for the time being, and while I could never run collector/distributor OWRs through the stack, the new curves for OWR have been quite useful in getting "around" those stacks.

Tarkus

Quote from: compdude787 on March 12, 2015, 02:42:13 PM
That interchange looks awesome! I just want to see if  you can do an RHW stack yet.

Once the files are finally sorted into working order, the non-developers will get a crack at it.  I imagine you'll then see some stacks pop up.  From all appearances, it is possible, though I haven't yet succeeded in the little bit of time I've had.

-Alex

compdude787

Quote from: Tarkus on March 15, 2015, 04:50:29 PM
Quote from: compdude787 on March 12, 2015, 02:42:13 PM

Once the files are finally sorted into working order, the non-developers will get a crack at it.  I imagine you'll then see some stacks pop up.  From all appearances, it is possible, though I haven't yet succeeded in the little bit of time I've had.

-Alex

Hey hey, that will be great! I'm looking forward to seeing one. :)

My YouTube Channel

roadgeek

Quote from: Tarkus on March 12, 2015, 02:34:45 PM

-Alex

From the looks of it, one of the 45o curves appears to cross both an ERD and an RHW4.

roadgeek

Quote from: Tarkus on March 15, 2015, 08:23:15 PM
It's an L1 RHW-2, actually.

-Alex

Well, I have never been able to tell the difference, but if the flex curve can cross both networks, we have entered a new dimension.

compdude787

I can't believe I didn't notice this till now, but it seems that we do have a L1 flexfly now! Awesome!! And Tarkus, you said awhile back that the revamped FlexfFlys weren't going to be in NAM 33--but luckily, you were wrong. :D
&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls x9006

Also, something else I'm wondering about: is there going to be an L0 45-degree FlexFly piece (both MIS and RHW-4)? This would be useful for the same reason that the elevated 45-degree flexfly is used in Tarkus' interchange example above. Also, what about a 90-degree RHW-4 L0 FlexFly piece?

My YouTube Channel

eggman121

Quote from: roadgeek on March 15, 2015, 08:31:15 PM
Well, I have never been able to tell the difference, but if the flex curve can cross both networks, we have entered a new dimension.

Too much cross linkage would occur and the controller size would be bigger than the request for new networks to cross underneath. RHW/ Dirtroad network only!

Quote from: compdude787 on March 15, 2015, 08:31:47 PM
I can't believe I didn't notice this till now, but it seems that we do have a L1 flexfly now! Awesome!! And Tarkus, you said awhile back that the revamped FlexfFlys weren't going to be in NAM 33--but luckily, you were wrong. :D

Also, something else I'm wondering about: is there going to be an L0 45-degree FlexFly piece (both MIS and RHW-4)? This would be useful for the same reason that the elevated 45-degree flexfly is used in Tarkus' interchange example above. Also, what about a 90-degree RHW-4 L0 FlexFly piece?

The flexfly models made by Jondor only considered 90 deg curves and where modeled as such. So a new approach was taken, and yes there may be L0 variants.

-eggman121