• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Support Thread

Started by Haljackey, November 26, 2011, 12:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you found this guide useful?

Yes- very useful
34 (82.9%)
Yes- Somewhat useful
6 (14.6%)
No- too simplistic
0 (0%)
No- too confusing
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

solovinodelmal

bummer... I could swear I saw a picture of it somewhere.

Thanks Hal

solovinodelmal

so hereĀ“s what I did instead:

I like it better, sometimes simpler solutions turn up to be better I guess

dragonshardz

Okay, I need some help with interchanges.

Basically, I need to make a T-interchange. The difficult part?

The left arm and the leg are the highway that continues. The right arm is the terminating highway.

Yes, it's a T-interchange, either semi-directional or directional, on a curve.

Anyone got an ideas? I made one, but it was really, really ugly and not elegant at all.

Oh, and to top it all off? I need it to be elevated.

Haljackey

Section 14 of the guide covers T-interchanges. Perhaps you'll find a few pointers there.

In addition, would you mind posting a screenshot of the area? It's one thing to read about your situation, it's another to actually see it.

dragonshardz

I'll post a screenshot later today.

I do know that Section 14 covers T-interchanges, but so far all the variations I've tried haven't worked well.

McDuell

@ solovinodelmal: There is indeed a way to get rid of the stub at the end of the ramp. (*searching for old post of mine - found!*).
Just do the trick as described below.  ;)

Quote from: McDuell on December 08, 2010, 02:23:16 AM
Quote from: soulchaser on December 07, 2010, 03:33:34 PM
Edit2: the strange loop (from the east) is basically because of the lack of diagonal parts with the RHW-4 and the transition to MIS....

For building a diagonal transition from RHW to MIS (and vice versa) you can make use of the OWR2-OWR1 diagonal transition puzzle piece.

1) Lay down the OWR2-OWR1 transition piece and prolong the stubs with OWR. Then, create some rail crossings.

2) Bulldoze the OWR right before the railroad crossing. This leaves you with just the rails.

3) Now bulldoze the leftover rails.

4) The finished transition should look like this.

@ dragonshardz: This is a quick and dirty idea which I had after reading your post. Could this be about what you were looking for?  :)

----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

dragonshardz

Quote from: McDuell on June 12, 2012, 04:45:08 AM
@ dragonshardz: This is a quick and dirty idea which I had after reading your post. Could this be about what you were looking for?  :)

Good enough for government work. That's exactly what I was attempting to do.

darxtar

I'm sorry to bother you, guys. Long time SC4 fan, embarking on very belated first time serious use.

Hoping that someone could tell me or point me in the right direction regarding getting RHW to resolve to MIS pieces. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've read NAM documentation and RHW Interchange Guide. I've read that they can be sensitive to slopes, and sometimes the right piece simply doesn't exist. In this case though all I'm trying to do is a simple straight diagonal connection between 2 MIS puzzle pieces (FAMIS to diagonal transitions), everything looks like it should match up, and it does, except the connection remains as unresolved RHW.

Has anyone put together a more detailed document regarding these (ie a 'guide for noobs and dummies' like me)? Does it make a difference if I'm dragging RHW to the MIS piece, or dragging the RHW from the MIS? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jdenm8

MIS will only form an override form a Puzzle Piece that has a Starter on it. To my knowledge, none of the Wide Radius Curves or FARHW stuff (Except ramp interfaces) have starter pieces on them.

There should be some MIS fillers in the RHW Starter Pieces menu, somewhere toward the end.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

darxtar

Aha. Diagonal MIS filler 1 sounds like it should meet the requirement. Many thanks jdenm8.

creche

I have to say the tutorial for Section 15.2: Diverging Partial Cloverleaf Interchanges has reduced me to tears and put serious doubts in my ability to function as a human being.

I can't get my ramps in the same places, which makes everything take up more space.  When I do an override ramp it comes out as a European texture even though I don't have a European text pack installed. I can't get an RHW4 lane shift to match the same direction as the guide. 

Please tell me the guide is outdated so I can have some confidence in my ability to function a productive life.  Maybe a video of the production would be helpful.   

Swordmaster

Don't despair ;)  Most of the guide is technically outdated, and although many designs should be possible to replicate with the latest NAM, that's not a certainty.

Cheers
Willy

Haljackey

Quote from: Swordmaster on May 14, 2013, 01:39:30 AM
Don't despair ;)  Most of the guide is technically outdated, and although many designs should be possible to replicate with the latest NAM, that's not a certainty.

Actually no part of the guide is outdated. The first entries were made back in the RHW 3.0 days, and those setups are still possible to make with NAM 31.

Regarding that guide in section 15.2, I did not make it (CrimsonPhoenix did) so it might be a good idea to send a PM to that member.
-A few tips I have for you is to ensure the ground is totally flat, and try plopping pieces in different orders to see if that omits the problems you are experiencing with spacing.
-I have no clue what's causing the Euro textures showing up. Try replicating the issue with just the NAM installed in your plugins. If it still happens it might be something worth reporting in the Bug Report Thread.
-Regarding the lane shifts, try rotating it an open area to understand what spot your cursor needs to be. For some, the cursor needs to be at the bottom of the piece, for others, its at the top.

It's one of the more difficult guides, especially if you're not a veteran FULP user (Can't say that I am either). The guide was made with RHW 4.0, so you can use some new pieces from 5.0 and NAM 31 to try and get around these issues and make your junction more unique.

Anyways, hope this helped you out!
-Haljackey

GeneXus

Hi! First of all, thanks for all people! Thank you very much for all this tools! You made my game experience up to 10!!! Im sorry about the way i write, but I'm not a native english speaker!

Ok, now maybe you can give me a hand with this issue im having! I'm tring to build the Standard Two-Level Cloverfold Stack Interchange!
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=14070.0
Its the second guide in that thread.

So i get to this point,

And when i try to drag the MIS RHW under the bridge, i get a problem. The MIS RHW next to it, the one that has the ramp, turns into a RHW2, just before hiting the ramp, and i cant fix it. I tried to build it in a diferent order, but it still happening. Dont know what to do, always get this problem at this point. Is there something i can do?

Again, thank you all very much for all this effort!

ShadowTiger

Hi,

I apologize if this is documented somewhere; I can't find it.

I'm trying to build an expressway with a one-way frontage road:

<<<<<OWR<<<<<<
     /           \
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<<<RHW6C<<<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>RHW6C>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
     \           /
>>>>>OWR>>>>>>

I've seen some screenshots on other threads showing this configuration (more or less), using the fractional on/off ramps connecting to a RHW4 road, which is fine, but at either end of the on/off ramps I'd like to transition the RHW4 road to OWR2 and I can't for the life of me figure out how. (I'm assuming, of course, that it's possible.) So:

\    /
>>OWR>>>>RHW4>>>>>OWR>>

The reason is I want to be able to put businesses facing the access road, but with RHW4 it's considered a highway so no road access.

Alternatively, I could live with using regular roads instead of OWRs.

Also, while I'm asking, when I use the fractional entrance and exit ramps, whether I use the RHW2 or RHW4 ramps, they don't draw correctly (they don't line up with the rest of the RHW6C lanes). Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!
ST

APSMS

First of all, pictures would be immensely helpful. Unfortunately for many of us that are familiar with RHW, some of these problems we solved long a go on our own and are unfamiliar with problems new users face.

Secondly, provided that you transition your FARHW-4 to orthogonal first, you may simply drag a OWR-2 out of the RHW-4, and it will auto transition, no puzzle pieces or anything like that necessary.

Also, I don't recall there being FARHW ramps for RHW-8C to RHW-6C and RHW-4, but I could be wrong. You're probably using the RHW-10 or 8 S split, which would cause the ramp to not work at all (since the pathing would be broken). Make sure you read the description of the piece and/or can see the piece before you put it down. If the preview doesn't look right, chances are it won't change once you plop it.

A lot of the RHW has new draggable functionality with the NWM (which you would also have installed [in an ideal situation]), where you can drag road out of the RHW 6C and it will automatically change to TLA-7 with out any starter overrides (or OWR-3 out of RHW-6S, or Avenue out of two side-by-side RHW-4, etc). You can get familiar by experimenting in some blank, flat test city tiles, and see what's possible.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

ShadowTiger

Hi,

Thanks for the reply (and for everything else!!!). I'm not at my home PC right now but I will try those things this evening. I thought I tried dragging OWR-2 out of RHW4 (orthogonal) and it didn't work. I'll try again.

I'll check to see what I have installed (I didn't install everything in NAM 31.2 but almost everything) and take some screen shots whether I figure it out or not.

Thanks again,
ST

ShadowTiger

Hi,

I checked and I do have everything installed. I cannot transition an orthogonal RHW4 to an OWR-2 road. See the attached screenshot:

Here's a picture of what I'm trying to do (using mostly standard SC4 highways):

...except I'd like to make the turnarounds smooth curves (preferrably OWR-1) and make the on/off ramps look more realistic.

Thanks,
Peter

Tarkus

Quote from: ShadowTiger on September 26, 2013, 08:56:31 PM
I checked and I do have everything installed. I cannot transition an orthogonal RHW4 to an OWR-2 road. See the attached screenshot:

From the appearances of your screenshot, that's because you're trying to transition over the starter.  The starter is a dead zone for that sort of thing.  Drag a little bit RHW-4 out of that starter the other direction, and then try the transition.

-Alex

Haljackey

In addition, there are parallel OWR ramps for ground Maxis highway so you don't have to use road there. Hit the tab key until you find them.