• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Interchange Guide Submissions

Started by Haljackey, November 26, 2011, 12:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

You can also use a tunnel for the central RHW going straight if your RHW-4 is side by side (It currently only works for RHW-4, until the RHW FLUPs are out). The outer curve is bend away from the tunnel entrance and goes over it. Just a thought...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

apeguy

Quote from: mrtnrln on December 01, 2011, 11:33:25 AM
You can also use a tunnel for the central RHW going straight if your RHW-4 is side by side (It currently only works for RHW-4, until the RHW FLUPs are out). The outer curve is bend away from the tunnel entrance and goes over it. Just a thought...

I did think of that while making it, but I thought this version was simpler and quicker to make. I might make another tutorial with that configuration soon. ;)

So is my tutorial approved? I just want to make sure before posting it with the other tutorials. :)

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Twyla

Section 8.3. Full Roundabout Interchange

For those desiring an efficient AND compact interchange between two RHW routes, nothing fits the bill like a Full Roundabout.  Although there is weaving on the roundabout (even tighter on the A1 variant shown at the end), the roundabout itself acts as a collector/distributor for the entire interchange - only requiring one off-ramp and one on-ramp with no weaving on the throughways themselves.  Even this double-C/D Monster of a 10S x 10S Full Roundabout fits entirely within a Small City Tile.

STEP 1: Positioning Markers
Plop a small marker precisely where you want the two routes to cross.  To demonstrate the versatility of this tutorial, I've opted to have an RHW-6S (2-tile network) interchange with an RHW-6C (3-tile network), thereby using a 2x3 intersection marker.  (The Monster pictured above uses a 6x6 intersection marker.)   Whatever interchange you can dream up, the only difference in construction is the size of the interchange marker.

Place five marker tiles coming diagonally off each corner of your intersection marker to help guide you on the next step.

STEP 2: Roundabout Perimeter
Drag diagonal RHWs immediately adjacent to your outermost marker tiles.  Make them as long as you can without any of them actually connecting to each other - this forms the core of our C/D-type roundabout.  We'll be using RHW-4 Type B1 Diagonal ramps to access this and they can be a touch finicky, which is the reason for the extra length.

STEP 3: On-ramps and Off-ramps
Now we place all of our aforementioned RHW-4 Type B1 Diagonal ramps.  I've demolished some of the marker tiles to better show how every MIS ramp lines up directly with the second closest marker.  Although the proximity between on-ramps and off-ramps causes some weaving, this is restricted entirely to the roundabout itself leaving the main throughways congestion-free.

STEP 4: Coming Full Circle
Now we close in gaps to complete our C/D roundabout.  I've placed additional markers to illustrate how the inside curve should extend two tiles beyond the width of the main carriageways - this is needed to preserve the RHW-4 overrides when we place our overpasses.  (It also helps to more closely resemble the circular shape inherent to roundabouts.)

STEP 5: Main Carriageways
Now we place the elevated transitions for our main carriageways.  The extra tiles we allotted in the previous step reinforce the overrides, enabling us to place the transitions as close as we like.

Due to RHW only having L0 and L2 heights at this time, one of the routes needs to return to ground level.  Simply for aesthetic reasons, I opted for the 'smaller' 6S carriageway - two overpasses in succession make it a tad bumpy for your Sims, so choosing the route with the lower capacity/traffic "minimizes the inconvenience".

STEP 6: Providing Access
Now we need to provide access to the C/D roundabout.  Plop MIS 45-Degree Curves coming off each of the roundabout's ramps, then place the appropriate 45° ramps coming from the main carriageways - either Type B (same RHW width) or Type E (next size larger).  For the 6C shown below, this means either a 6C-Type B or an 8C-Type E.  (The latter, of course, provides for acceleration/deceleration lanes for a bit more realism.)   

NOTE!:  There is presently a minor glitch with several of the RHW Type E Entrance Ramps whereby the preview is offset by one tile, so be sure to take this into account when placing these ramps.

STEP 7: Buttoning It All Up
Drag the main RHW Tool to button everything up - though the ramps will likely need 45° MIS Puzzle Pieces (found with the RHW Starters) - and now your Sims can enjoy congestion-free motoring throughout their world!  Compact enough that (unless you make The Monster) you still have room for four surface interchanges within a Small City Tile.

OPTIONAL APPROACH: RHW-4 A1 Diagonal Ramps
For those wanting to squeeze this interchange down a wee bit smaller, you can utilize the RHW-4 Type A1 Diagonal ramps (and A/D ramps on the carriageways) to tuck the on-ramps and off-ramps in tighter.  It's a bit trickier to get A1 ramps positioned correctly (as they butt directly against one another) so you may want to practice with the original interchange before attempting this second one.

Cire360

Very nice, and well done, I'm impressed at how simple you made it look to build.

bravo  &apls

Twyla

Quote from: Cire360 on July 10, 2012, 03:04:32 AMI'm impressed at how simple you made it look to build.

&blush Thank you!  Though that is sort of the point of a tutorial, isn't it?  Making it look simple?  :P

Haljackey

I've got to agree. Very nice guide Twyla! Practical and easy to follow.

The only comment I have is I wish there was double-height RHW pieces. That way you could make one of the mainlines sink into a trench and still have the other elevated RHW pass over it. It would get rid of the bumpy ride motorists have going over two sets of overpasses. :P

The ramp pieces are fairly close in the roundabout itself, a symptom of weaving. However since this is a roundabout and separated from the mainline, it is greatly reduced.

I'll get your guide up in the roundabouts section. Before I do I wanted to ask you about changing the name. I'd like to call it: Section 8.3. Full Roundabout Interchange (Created by Twyla)
-This is due to the fact that section 8 of the guide already has a guide like this, but only one mainline actually goes through it. In your guide, both do, essentially making it a complete/full interchange.

What do you think?

Once again, very nice submission!  :thumbsup:

Twyla

Haljackey

Fantastic! I'll get the table of contents updated and add your guide to the list.

Excellent work Twyla!

Twyla

Section 2.7: Realistic Parclo AB Interchange

The Folded Partial-Cloverleaf Interchange (aka ParClo AB Interchange) has the same functionality as any other Par-Clo (as well as most liabilities) - however, it has the advantage of consolidating both loops on the same side.  It is also known as a Texas Turnstile due to its prolific use in Texas and other States in the southwestern US (as well as the congestion generated by two intersections on the ground route).  Many cities and towns in this region boomed along rail lines during the 19th century, with their main thoroughfares running alongside the tracks.

Obviously, this severely limited the possibilities for interchanges, but the Folded Par-Clo proved to be an economical and relatively efficient solution.  Though not as efficient as many newer interchanges, the Folded Par-Clo remains a predominant choice in locations where half the usual footprint is unavailable for whatever reason - railroad tracks, landmarks, geology, or just crotchety old landowners with good lawyers.

STEP 1: Overpasses
Given the compact nature of the Partial Cloverleafs being used, we need the overpass to provide acceleration and deceleration lanes, so we'll use the RHW-6S Transitions.

STEP 2: On-ramps and Off-Ramps
Next, we plop a few RHW-6S Type E1 ramps like so.  Since we're being creative with our "deluxe interchange", we need the ramps on each side to be exactly three tiles from each other.

STEP 3: Swerving and Curving
Between each pair of ramps we plop an RHW-2 Type E1 Wye - be certain it's the RHW-2, which comes later in the loop than the RHW-4 version.  With our on/off traffic now consolidated to an RHW-2, we can use RHW-2 90-Degree Curves (Large) to direct our wayward motorists towards the roadway.

STEP 4: Tying Things Together
Connect the 90° curve to your roadway using the Road Tool, then repeat for the other intersection.

STEP 5: Tiptoe Through the TuLEPs
Although fully functional, this intersection is exceptionally blah.  Find the Avenue TuLEP-Type A1/Road TuLEP-Type A2 T-Intersection in the TuLEPS and plop one over the current intersection, then dress up the approaches with a few more TuLEPs.  Repeat for the other intersection.

If you like, you can spiff things up a bit further by adding Slip Lanes (also in the TuLEPs).

STEP 6: Being Shifty
With the ground connections done, we turn our attention back to the RHW portion.  Plop a few RHW-4S/6S transitions thusly to return traffic back to RHW-4S, making the acceleration lanes 2-3 tiles longer than the deceleration lanes (realism).

STEP 7: Buttoning Everything Together
Now use the RHW Tool to connect everything together and your Folded AB Par-Clo is now complete!  Happy motoring to all your Sims!

The interchange here is shown on a Small City Tile to better illustrate how small it's footprint is.

Deluxe Folded Par-Clo Interchange (aka Texas Turnstile) (NWM)
I call this a "Deluxe" interchange due to a few unusual 'tricks' used to make this interchange far tidier than most.  It also involves NAM's NWM, which is a separate mod from RHW - though many people use it, there are also a few conflicts.  Most of these deviations are quite simple and should prove easy for anyone to implement.

STEP 1: Minor Renovation
There are several instances where different mods (such as NWM and RHW) don't like each other.  Since we don't want the ugliness (or pathing disruption) which comes from failing overrides, we'll demolish four tiles of roadway (two spaces for the overpasses and one space to each side) and replace it with a Maxis Avenue.  (Besides, it's not like anyone will be making a left turn beneath the overpass.)  NWM quite tidily transitions the new Avenue back into the existing TLA-5 on its own.

STEP 2: Overpasses
Given the compact nature of the Partial Cloverleafs being used, we need the overpass to provide acceleration and deceleration lanes, so we'll use the RHW-6S Transitions.

STEP 3: On-ramps and Off-Ramps
Next, we plop a few RHW-6S Type E1 ramps like so.  Since we're being creative with our "deluxe interchange", we need the ramps on each side to be exactly three tiles from each other.

STEP 4: Swerving and Curving
Between each pair of ramps we plop an RHW-2 Type E1 Wye - be certain it's the RHW-2, which comes later in the loop than the RHW-4 version.  With our on/off traffic now consolidated to an RHW-2, we can use RHW-2 90-Degree Curves (Large) to direct our wayward motorists towards the roadway.

STEP 5: Tying Things Together
Connect the 90° curve to your roadway using the Road Tool, then plop a 3-lane Asymmetrical Road (ARD-3) Starter on it at the space indicated by the marker.  Delete ONLY the starter tile then reconnect with the 90° curve using the Road Tool.  Repeat for the other intersection.

Alternately, you can just plop a Road-to-ARD3 Transition against the RHW-2 90° Curve, but the technique above is a handy trick to learn when dealing with short stretches of NWM (or RHW) when the stability of overrides is an issue.

STEP 6: Tiptoe Through the TuLEPs
Conflicting overrides (look closely at the intersection above) result in an unusable intersection - fortunately, there's an easy fix.  Find the Avenue TuLEP-Type A1/Road TuLEP-Type A2 T-Intersection in the TuLEPS and plop one over the current intersection, then dress up the approaches with a few more TuLEPs.  Repeat for the other intersection.

NOTE: The addition of TuLEPS may disrupt the NWM overrides on the TLA-5.  If this happens, just plop the appropriate NWM starter in the same manner as the ARD-3 used in Step 5.

STEP 7: Being Shifty
With the ground connections done, we turn our attention back to the RHW portion.  Plop a few RHW-4S/6S transitions thusly to return traffic back to RHW-4S, making the acceleration lanes 2-3 tiles longer than the deceleration lanes (realism).

STEP 8: Buttoning Everything Together
Now use the RHW Tool to connect everything together and your Texas Turnstile (aka Folded Par-Clo) is now complete!  Happy motoring to all your Sims!

The above is a good 'starting point' for those who like to lay out their cities with realistic accuracy - and you'll find hundreds of these from Texas to Colorado to California.

Haljackey

Very nice Twyla! That interchange is an example of a Folded Diamond, or a Parclo 'AB' class hybrid if you want to get technical. Never heard of a Texas Turnstile. but I can see where it fits.

I do have a few comments regarding your guide. Overall its well done, and the text and images are easy to follow.
-The inclusion of the rail line is a nice feature, but I don't think its required for this design (unless you're going for that Texas Turnstile).
-I do not list the NWM as a requirement for the RHW Interchange Guide. You have used it here (and to a quite good extent), but it is not needed.
-I do, however, list the TuLEPs as a requirement as it is absolutely needed for some designs like the SPUI guides. You do know that you can plop TuLEPs right on avenues and roads, right? I'm asking this because I see them only used on NWM networks in this design.

Quick screenshot I took of TuLEPs used on road and avenue without the use of NWM:

If it's not too much trouble, would you be able to remake the guide without NWM components or the rail line? You can still use those images at the end of the guide showing what you can do with other features.

When finished, you're guide will be Section 2.7: Realistic Parclo AB Interchange. I think it's a good fit in the Parclo section.

Thank you for your understanding. I just want to make these guides as simple and as easy-to-follow as possible, since a lot of newbies look at it.

Twyla

Haljackey

Quote from: Twyla on July 11, 2012, 01:45:58 PM
Better?

Ah, I see you edited your post above. Looks great, go for it! Thanks for taking the time to tweak the guide.  :thumbsup:

Twyla

MandelSoft

I'd call that the Tape-interchange. I have one in my regions too, though it differs in design:

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

wschmrdr

So, I've come up with a new interchange. This one I like to call a volleyball interchange with frontage roads. If you're cramped for space and need not only an interchange between highways, but also with your city development, then this is the way to go. It conveniently fits within two crossing 4x4 sunken highway areas with one more tile on each side for a cliff so you can place some walls.

Sadly I don't have a picture-hosting site (I deactivated my Facebook account because of Timeline), so Google Drive will be the way to go on this one.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzrUzfoOPCB5TXFVRjhDZHg4b3c

Once NAM 31 comes out, this will almost assuredly be updated, as I can keep all the frontage roads at L2, and then pick either L1, L3, or L4 for the raised highway.

fmk

Here i would like to show you how to make diamond interchange with fractional angle puzzle pieces. You will need slope mod and hole-digging lots for this

First drag the RHW-highway (i used RHW-6S), then get the ground lifters from the hole digging lots to do their stuff. Place 1 tile away from the RHW on each side. Drag road to set up the slope, then everything on your new hills so it looks like this:

Place "FAD-44 Type A Full" intersection on both sides (should be at least 3 tiles from your highway) and finish the overpass:

Create a gradual ascent by using the slope mod (i suggest you to make it 6 tile gradient):

Place road stubs in the end of the descent to make it look smooth:

Place "FAMIS to FARHW-4 transition B" (or continue with FARHW-4 if you want to make taper), then build FAMIS down to the RHW:

Connect your loop to the RHW via any FARHW ramp (type C and type F):

You can build acceleration/deceleration lanes with some cosmetic puzzles if you want:

Finally place TULEP puzzle on the intersection:

Here is a view of completed interchange, you can place signs, lights, sound walls and whatever to make it look better:

I hope you will find this guide useful!
-FMK

Haljackey

Oh Very cool FMK! Go right ahead and post it to the diamond interchanges section and I'll index it and add it to the table of contents.

Nice work, well done and very easy to follow.

McDuell

In hope that Haljackey didn't beat me to it (he already moved the stack interchange out of the 'no tutorial' section), I'll like to show you how to build this type of interchange.

If you want, put down some rail pieces in the center of the interchange to be built. While not necessary, they may help while placing the first puzzle pieces. You may bulldoze them after the next step.

Now, select the diagonal EMIS over diagonal MIS type 1/2 puzzle pieces and place them exactly as in the picture. It's important that the orientation of the pieces is correct. The yellow lines should be pointing outwards.

Here is the same setup with drawpaths on and the rails bulldozed.

Put down some single rail pieces to prevent the RHW from possible autoconnecting. Now draw the flyover lanes as shown.

When you are finished, it should look like this.

Place hole digger lots for building the tunnels afterwards. It doesn't really matter if you use Avenue or OWR tunnels. Just be sure to leave enough space for the terrain for auto-conforming to the tunnel entrances, as shown with the rail.
For best results, you can build the tunnels at different levels. In this tutorial, I used the -8 and -14m diggers.

Prepare the slopes for the tunnels. You might get different tunnel ramp lengths than me depending on your slope mod.

Bulldoze the digger lots and build the tunnels.

Put down MIS <-> EMIS transitions as shown in the next picture. Be sure that you use the one with the starters.

Place ground MIS starter pieces to build the curves for the other pair of 'flyover' ramps.

Bulldoze the end of the starter pieces.

Complete the left turn ramps with diagonal MIS and EMIS filler pieces.

Use the drawpaths cheat again to check if everything is correct so far.

Place RHW4 tpye E1 entrances and exits and connect the MIS gaps. Do this for all branches.

Connect all right turn ramps.

Put down RHW4<->FARHW4 outer ramps and seamlessly add RHW6S Type C2 exits and entrances. Again, we need this for all branches.

We're almost done.

Bulldoze any leftover helper network pieces and connect the missing RHW parts.

Finished! :)

I hope this guide is useful.  :)
----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

Haljackey

I don't believe it but I just finished posting my stack guide..... :P

Crazy timing eh? BTW your guide looks great! No problems spotted.

How about I label mine "Haljackey's way" and yours "McDuell's way".
-The key differences between our guides is that I sink my tunnels deeper and keep the ramps more basic. You keep the tunnels closer to grade but make the ramp connections a little more complex (FARHW-4 and splitters).

If you agree, go ahead and post that guide in the 'stack interchanges' thread and label it as "Section 18.2: Sunken Stack Interchange (Created by McDuell)". I'll then link it to the table of contents.

That way users will see two ways for creating this junction. With such a complicated design I think the more guides the better since they can follow the that they like better.

EDIT: Ok I see you posted it there. I edited the links and everything so crisis averted. ;)

McDuell

Waah, I lost the race! 11/2 minutes too late. :'(   $%Grinno$%

Thanks for liking my guide. In the meantime, I've posted the tutorial in the stack interchange thread.  :)

*still baffled about the coincidence of the guide posts*

----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------