• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Download and Installation Catalogue

Started by djp, October 19, 2010, 02:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mido1960

Hello,

I just installed my old simcity 4 deluxe on my new laptop with Windows 7, and wow, the Download and Installation Catalogue is a great tool! The first time that I can get all my downloads organized.
I have one question, Windows 7 installed the software automatically in XP service pack 2 mode. Is this the correct setting for this tool?

djp

Hey Mido,

Thanks for the kind words :thumbsup:

DIC should not need to be run in compatibility mode, WIN7 should just install it as normal
Do you have the latest version of DIC - it was re-written last year for WIN7 & 64bit
http://sc4tools.co.uk/sc4t_downloads.asp
Is there anything unique to your OS that may have influenced the set-up?

Cheers

David

mido1960

Thanks for your reply.
No, there is nothing extraordinary with my Windows 7.
When I installed the Download and Installation Catalogue Windows would recommend to install the software again but with the recommended settings.

Unassigned

Hello David,

I just installed the DIC and would appreciate advice on getting started. My plugins folder is ~1.3GB and what I think I need to know is how best to sync these existing plugins with the DIC. Preferably without having to re-install said 1.3 GB.

Quote from: djp on March 30, 2011, 02:00:14 PM
The latest release of DIC has had a process added to check the apps folder has been selected, hopefully this will stop anyone else having the same issue.
Perhaps DIC instructions should state explicitly that the apps folder is the required one?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

mido1960

That would be a great feature, just push the button and synchronize your Plugins folder with DIC.

Unassigned

Quote from: mido1960 on April 30, 2011, 06:59:29 AM
That would be a great feature, just push the button and synchronize your Plugins folder with DIC.
Oh yes, but probably no small task to implement. What I'm asking for is how to set up the DIC (ie, the database) with as little work on my part as possible (I do realise it takes some work, and that's OK).
(\__/)

mido1960

I faced exactly the same situation moving my SC4 Deluxe with the entire Plugins folder to my new laptop. I ended up reinstalling ALL the plugins again to make sure I have it somehow organized the way DIC suggests.

djp

Looks like I have a little catching up to do here....

Quote from: mido1960 on April 29, 2011, 04:23:39 AM
Thanks for your reply.
No, there is nothing extraordinary with my Windows 7.
When I installed the Download and Installation Catalogue Windows would recommend to install the software again but with the recommended settings.
I've had this message from other programs, but never from DIC. I would recommend un-installing DIC & installing again - if you get this message again just click that the program installed correctly.

Quote from: Unassigned on April 29, 2011, 08:42:23 AM
Hello David,

I just installed the DIC and would appreciate advice on getting started. My plugins folder is ~1.3GB and what I think I need to know is how best to sync these existing plugins with the DIC. Preferably without having to re-install said 1.3 GB.
Unfortunately there is no quick fix to syncing your existing plugns with the original downloads. Once you have moved all your original downloads into the SC4Stuff/Downloads folder they will all show in the Download manager as un-installed

You have some additional options available here to manually mark them as installed (right click)

Alternatively;
With a little time and effort you can match any MAN installations directly in your plugins folder - this will take a while depending on how many you already have installed
Using "Match Installations" 

Choose the folder to scan

Plugins found in that folder

It may take a while - keep the searches small

Results - only 3 found, the rest are either EXE installs or there isn't a matching download file

You can now select the matched files and update the database

I hope this helped you both a little,
If you need specifics you may be best emailing me and I can help you directly - djp@sc4tools.co.uk
Also, if you want all you existing downloads marked as installed to get you started then send me your database and I'll do it manually for you

David

Unassigned

I gather from the Doc I might have interrupted your honeymoon, sorry about that. And grats on getting married.
Quote from: djp on May 01, 2011, 07:29:40 AM
Unfortunately there is no quick fix to syncing your existing plugns with the original downloads.
I hope this helped you both a little,
Indeed your suggestions are a great help. Now I know how to proceed but can save myself the reinstalling from scratch.

Quote from: djp on May 01, 2011, 07:29:40 AMAlso, if you want all you existing downloads marked as installed to get you started then send me your database and I'll do it manually for you

David
Now THAT is an unselfish offer! Nevertheless I'll do it myself and use the opportunity to revise my plugins anyway.

Here's a couple of minor matters I found.
- Assigning a dev team to the first item in the download list is b0rken (this is BSC VIP girafe Train Capitole which I try to assign to BSC). When restarting DIC the item is back in "Default". Observed >5 times.
- No way to delete an empty user-defined dev team label (at least not that I found).

(\__/)

djp

Quote from: Unassigned on May 01, 2011, 10:11:58 AM
I gather from the Doc I might have interrupted your honeymoon, sorry about that. And grats on getting married.
No worries, not actually on honeymoon yet - just having a nice 4 days off work....
Have to wait until next year to save some money before we can go away :thumbsdown:

anyway, back to the important stuff :D

I'm glad I helped, it's a little difficult explaining things on forums sometimes - but we try..

Here's a couple of minor matters I found.
- Assigning a dev team to the first item in the download list is b0rken (this is BSC VIP girafe Train Capitole which I try to assign to BSC). When restarting DIC the item is back in "Default". Observed >5 times.
This works for me

You must then click "OK"

Which should then show an updating message at the bottom

OK, Sorry, doesn't work :thumbsdown:
I can assign any other download to a team, apart from the first item 

- No way to delete an empty user-defined dev team label (at least not that I found).
Again, think you have found another small bug;
I can't delete an existing team or assign a new one either

Not doing very well are we ;)

Once we have a solution I will let you know

Anything else you have found - might as well have it all at once :angrymore:

Cheers

David

Unassigned

Quote from: djp on May 01, 2011, 10:52:26 AM
Not doing very well are we ;)
Actually I think the DIC is looking good and will save me lots of time. If I encounter other issues I'll be sure to let you know.
(\__/)

Rady

Hi ,

I'm having a little problem: DIC won't let me change the folders in the "Preferences" tab ... I moved my "my documents" folder to another disk (E: instead of C:), and now I want the DIC to point to this new folder ... however, after changing all the directories, clicking "save & exit" - when reopening the preferences tab, the old values are still present ...??
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

djp

Hi Rady,

You may have an email....
Coincidence or just luck ;D

David

TheAttendee

Wasn't sure where to post this, but it seems the SC4 Test Tool download on the site is for version 1.0.0 and not 1.3.1 like advertised.  :-[

djp

Apologise,

The file has now been updated to the correct version.

If there is anything else you need just ask

David

TheAttendee

Everything works just fine now.  ;D Thank you for all the great work!  &apls

DonatoB

I can't use this tool, as much as I'd like to. Installed by clicking "setup" and when i found the .exe in /eu-contractor, when i run it, i just get this error.

First it says "is it okay to make the 4 folders" i select yes, then this comes up, and i'm told to change preferences.

but it never helps..

Tried xp service pack 2, didn't help. Im using windows 7 64bit.

TY

TwisterAce

I've just started using the DIC. But it won't let me open the Download Manager. I have 5 zips in the download folder. Do I need to put in more until it allows me to open the manager?

djp

Is your plugins folder currently datpacked??

Some of DIC's functions only work when you are in an unpacked state - check along the bottom icons on DIC, there is a "padlock". If this is locked you won't be able to access a lot of functions.

Do you know how to pack/unpack using DIC?

David

djp

WMP Upload Facility is now open..!

As of April 24th, 2012, all batters and lotters are invited to make their creations available on the WMP Exchange.

The process is simple: fill in a form, add your ZIP archive and images. The only caveat is that unlike the bigger exchanges, uploads are not shown right away. That is because we check and test everything first.

Why not try it now..?

http://workingman-productions.co.uk/wmp_uploads.aspx