• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Service or Office?

Started by fantozzi, May 07, 2021, 04:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fantozzi

Sometimes when lotting - I don't know: is it service or office? A bank f.e. - they offer a services, so it's service. But the jobs - they are office jobs ...   ()what() ()what() :bomb:

May I ask: how do you decide? Is there a way to put it simple instead making so much thoughts?

twalsh102

There is no guidance at all to answer this question. https://sc4devotion.com/forums/Smileys/JasonSmilies/undecided.gif Perhaps think of it as what the function of the business is vs. where the jobs are located. In the end, the types of jobs "offered" probably should match the type of building/lot, i.e. CS jobs in a CS building/lot.

This is certainly a grey area. I don't think anyone would find fault no matter which way a content creator decided to go with this, other than having the jobs NOT match the type of building / lot.

jeffryfisher

Quote from: fantozzi on May 07, 2021, 04:38:38 AM
Sometimes when lotting - I don't know: is it service or office? A bank f.e. - they offer a services, so it's service. But the jobs - they are office jobs...
Ask yourself how a real-world business would choose the location for this building. If it must to be placed for the convenience of customers, then it's probably a service. If it is placed for the convenience of its own labor force and/or for managing other sites in a corporate empire, then it's an office.

You can also look at the (possibly imaginary) parking lot. If most parking spaces are for customers, it's probably a service. But if most parking spaces are for employees, then it's probably an office.
Modding PC games since 1993 (back when we needed hex-editors)

fantozzi

And what's about telephone emergency services?

Since the game was released things really changed on this - there are so many new virtual services, online services, digital services.

But tt's quite a good hint for SC4 where the distinction is more about visuals than about a behavior in game. I keep it in mind next time I'm so undecided about it. Relly might help here. Thank you, Mr. Fisher.