• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

To lurk or not to lurk

Started by NikNik, January 19, 2007, 03:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dioangel

"Beethoven is known for writting the most daring music has ever known to man...DioAngel is known for writting outragous stories has ever known to a lady."
My new MD: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6796.0

moganite

Yep I am a lurker
every day
single no partner to worry about
I lurk at ST Simpeg and several other sites

At ST I have mostly been posting in the private NHP topics and NHP forum as i am too busy learning and extending my abilities in modding and BATTing. Also working on new maps and techniques.

simpeg  I dont feel a great need to post there and prefer to be quiet.

Various other sites likewise

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Heblem
jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ Vandy
wouanagaine

Katten Gustaf

I am a lurker. I lurk often, at pretty mutch every forum i a registerd on.

The reason I lurk is that I don't like to post unless I have some thing to contribute to the diskusion. At simtropolis i had only a few posts, mainly because the place is so large. I am fine with posting a "thanks" or "nice work" and I apriciate such comments on my own work, but then your post is the 100th such, it just feels stupid. I have a strong distaste for people how post just to increas their postcount, it floods forums with meningless text and makes finding the relavant stuff harder.

jeronij

Quote from: Katten Gustaf on February 03, 2007, 11:33:59 AM
I have a strong distaste for people how post just to increas their postcount, it floods forums with meningless text and makes finding the relavant stuff harder.

I coulnd't have said that better  &apls
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Colyn

I am impressed with what I read here ... I most of all impressed with the way this debate is conducted by all participants ...

I dont think I am a lurker but I really get annoyed when people push technical threads off-topic just for the hell of it ... that is the type of posts that easily fall foul of my DELETE key and let me say it here ... if I delete an off-topic post I dont send a PM or get into a debate about it.  $%#Ninj2

The technical threads are the gold and silver of a site like this and I feel we have a responsibility to maintain their integrity so that if a new player arrives and needs some info .... it is available in pristine state and NOT buried among 3500 off topic comments and jokes about cats or dogs or a bad hair day.
Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

Indisguise

well i rarley lurk  ::)

some do cause their unsure of what to say, I know the lot maker/modders and CJ'ers like the responce and imputer of the gamers, just nice to know it's not all for not. I myself rarely comment on the CJ's though i do read quite a few,more cuz I look on the idea the cj's are stories and i kinda see the responces as sort of comercials...;) :satisfied:

I sometime forget to go back and rate lots, because like said before, i wait til I see the  lot in the game and played with it for a bit until I comment, but most of the time i forget to go back and rate the lot, because i'm trying out the next lot,  :-\ you guys sometimes put them out to fast &mmm....but that not a complaint  :thumbsup:...just what ussually happens

Colossus X-rated

dedgren

This is an absolutely great discussion, and thanks to our friend Nik-Nik for getting it rolling.

I had planned to comment here a few times, but this is one of those threads that demands thoughtful input, and something always came up.  I've now read every comment here carefully (learning a great deal about a few of you in the process), and so here goes...

For whatever it's worth, lurkng is just fine with me.  I definitely hear the folks who explain that they won't comment unless they feel they have something substantive to say, or who feel guilty posting the equivalent of "nice ________________ (fill in the blank)."  I also hear the folks who feel daunted by the learning curve, or by folks who they perceive might be more experienced/informed/knowledgeable than they are.  I am sure, for some, remaining completely anonymous while enjoying the pleasures of SC4D is the way to go.  Hey, whatever works for you!

I lurked at Simtropolis for most of a year before I registered in the summer of 2004.  It was a while before I posted after that.  When I started 3RR in March, 2006, I had made about 30 comments on the forums.  I'd started a few forum threads, all but one of which was totally ignored.  3RR, truth be told, was started on more or less a whim.

I look back now at the early pages of 3RR, and what I see looks outrageously bad (that's referring to what I posted, mind you).  My cities looked like cartoons, I was heavy-handed with just about everything.  That's changed, now.  My SC4 skills have improved (this is self-criticism, mind you- not arrogance).  Why?  Because of the comments and feedback I received while (then) CJing.

In other words, the folks who took the time to post on my thread made me a better SC4 player.  How?  By pointing me in new directions.  By keeping me from getting complacent.  By informing me about the ideas and work of others.  And, probably most important of all, by challenging me to do better than what folks said they really liked a lot.  That last is really important- because if you think a comment like "best you've ever done" is a cop out, and you've got to be more specific, well...in my opinion, you're wrong.  I read comments like that and thought, "Oh man, it's all over unless I can top that."  Or head in some new direction.  Or explore some new dimension.

I've gotten a few (very few) comments from some who I just thought were commenting for the sake of doing so.  Not here, at SC4D, though.  That's because I think, by and large, the 650 or so folks who've signed up to date are all pretty serious about our little shared passion.  "Post counts" and such don't matter here- it's participation that means something.

So, lurk if you will.  But don't be afraid not to.  And don't be afraid to tell someone that their work is nice, or that you enjoy seeing it, or that you you look forward to returning to see what's new.  Those may not be specific and technically oriented comments, but they mean a great deal nonetheless- that is unless you've just made the same comment in the last 10 threads you've posted in.  And, like I said, I just don't see that here.

I tend to see things through the perspective of a MDer/CJer.  I wholly agree with Colyn that threads that warrant technical input should not get "I was here" type posts.  That said, I can't agree with the commenter who said that, ultimately, SC4D would "nice" itself to death just like other fansites.  I respectfully disagree with that.  Being nice doesn't have anything to do with reducing the quality or significance of a comment.  I can be nice, for example, and let you know that I think you are completely wrong.  But that's because I know that telling someone that they're wrong doesn't carry with it that they're also stupid, or talentless, or otherwise personally lacking.  Anyone can make a point, after a fashion.  It separates us from them, though, to make that point well and with tact and, dare I say it, a degree of panache.

Finally, I'll note that my own MD, 3RR, gets a ton of comments.  I love to hear from folks- it's like being with friends every day and you don't know how much I appreciate it, and the things that are said.  But, if you have a only a few minutes at SC4D to spend here and comment- don't come by 3RR.  Visit a MD you haven't looked at lately, or a thread in another topic section you haven't explored yet, and leave a comment there.  I feel pretty secure in knowing you'll be back to see my MD when you have more time.  Others, though, will very much appreciate having their good work get a look and a word or two.

I could say more but this is long, and I'm going to take my sweetheart (wife of ten years this year) out on a date.

You folks take care.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

greenbelt

$%#Ninj2 Yes I am a chronic lurker.  Even in RL I hardly ever add to the conversation.  I prefer to listen and learn.  On the rare occasion I have something positive to add, I will.  I like the easy acknowledgement system for the LEX.  I never felt comfortable with the comments section of other exchange sites. 

Cali

everyone lurks at one time or another, i did it for a long time too, that's why after 2 years on simtrop i only have a little over 630 posts...lol
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

Rayden

I don't know if I am a lurker or not nowadays, but I used to be a hell of lurker before. I even went to school and learned how to be a lurker. I joined Simtropolis Lurker School sometime in Feb 2003 and made my first post there last April 2006.

sim1234

I lurked for about 5 months on Simtropolis before I made my first post. I mainly only add to threads if I have something positive or useful to say and I don't post just to increase my post count or post for the sake of posting. I've been lurking a lot in the past few months as I've got important exams coming up and don't find much time to post.

Thornton

Why do you lurk?
Hmmm...good question.  I lurk because just reading the posts is enough for me most of the time I feel like there is already enough posts to read and adding more is just page filler ;D, sometimes on other sites for example gamefaqs people really tee mee off. :angrymore:  Most of the time though my lurker side shows itself and I go back into my cave. /wrrd%&

How often do you lurk?
Everyday. $%#Ninj2

Does your partner know that you lurk?
Nope $%Grinno$%

Do you only lurk here or also on other sites?
Many other sites. "$Deal"$

&dance  &dance  &dance

Doc

I lurked at ST for a couple of years before I joined. Main reason, though, was I was playing vanilla and everything seemed to be geared for RH. Didn't feel I had anything to add.
...Doc  aka Doxxp29

Masochist

Oooh...I'm a lurker.  Well...at Simtropolis, I'm a lurker.  That place is sooo big.  There are only certain threads that I actually reply in, and most of them are in the City-Building Concepts area...every now and then I'll try and help someone if they ask.

Then a whole lot of "alternative" SC4 sites started popping up.  For some reason or another, though, I took a liking to this one.  I didn't even really know too much about Jeronij, except that he had this seemingly legendary CJ, but I hadn't even seen it.  I just saw this as an opportunity to be a bigger part of the community, since I have no BAT or modding skillz.  So here I try not to lurk so much.  I don't want to post pointlessly, but I'm not so good at giving criticism.  Still, I try and and put something into all the posts so that they're not so empty or whatever.  Don't know if I do a good job of it.  Lately, though, I haven't even been lurking.  I've only been logging in (because it's part of my morning routine).  It's been crazy.  Anyways...that's my story.
(Under Construction)

thundercrack83

Quote from: Masochist on February 09, 2007, 06:56:03 PM
Oooh...I'm a lurker.  Well...at Simtropolis, I'm a lurker.  That place is sooo big.  There are only certain threads that I actually reply in, and most of them are in the City-Building Concepts area...every now and then I'll try and help someone if they ask.

Then a whole lot of "alternative" SC4 sites started popping up.  For some reason or another, though, I took a liking to this one.  I didn't even really know too much about Jeronij, except that he had this seemingly legendary CJ, but I hadn't even seen it.  I just saw this as an opportunity to be a bigger part of the community, since I have no BAT or modding skillz.  So here I try not to lurk so much.  I don't want to post pointlessly, but I'm not so good at giving criticism.  Still, I try and and put something into all the posts so that they're not so empty or whatever.  Don't know if I do a good job of it.  Lately, though, I haven't even been lurking.  I've only been logging in (because it's part of my morning routine).  It's been crazy.  Anyways...that's my story.

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. Over at Simtropolis, it was a bit overwhelming, with such a vast amount of places to look at, there was almost no choice but to lurk for the most part. Here, though, like you, I am trying to take a more active role in participating here. With no real skills other than support for those who have incredible skills (and there's so many of you!), there's not much that I can give, but I'm trying!

imaplaybaby

And yet another lurker emerges from the mist....

I have been a member of Simtropolis for several years, most of that time spent as a lurker (such a sinister sounding term).   It seems for the most part, we have all been lurking for very similar reasons: to much info to sort through, nothing new to add, lack of time, etc...  Until this thread I have always considered lurking to be a compliment (why would we waste our time somewhere if we weren't enthralled), I never thought that there could be negative consequences because of our silence.  Additionally, I have discovered still another downfall to remaining in the backround:  I have recently tried to register at simpeg, with no success (I have a post here concerning this problem). Anyway what I have discovered is that having no reputation in the community is like having no credit, you're not a bad risk, but no one knows that!  So, in celebration of this new site, I will occasionally (I am never going to be chatty cathy) rise from the depths of lurkerdom to post my praise of the creative geniuses that make my game play soooo much more exciting, to offer constructive criticism if and when I feel it appropriate and just generally participate more in the community.

imaplaybaby

mark

Ive been a lurker on the st for 2 years and never made a single post ,  rl life was real busy at that time and I spent most of my free time playing the game  ( with no custom content at all ) then got addicted to reading some of the wonderful CJ's on there and was envious of the great ideas and images i was seeing which made me a download fanatic.

However after having a major pc failure and losing all  my plugin's( many hours of surfing and downloading ) :(
I have started a fresh, but the speed of the ST is awful most days. however with me finding this great site a my start to post a little more , i just dont like saying things that have already been said.

single :  no i have a girlfriend and 3 children

RippleJet

I was lurking at ST for (let me see, january 2004 till october 2006) 33 months before posting my first post.

I consider myself rather shy and before ST I was never a member of any other gaming forums out there. I did, however, learn a lot from my lurking at ST, and I downloaded all those wonderful creations available through STEX.

Seeing how ST has developed over the years I feel sorry for never, ever commenting on the stuff I downloaded. Despite loving to see all that custom content in the game I never wrote a single Thank You anywhere. &ops

Colyn, and all of BSC, this is a very belated Thank You for all goodies you've added to my favourite game! &bis&

After my first post at ST I started to enjoy helping others, especially in the modding aspects of the game. My posts do tend to be on the technical side, aiming at getting things to work. As long as I am concentrating on solving problems for others and helping the way I feel you guys have helped me while I was lurking, I still enjoy it.

At the same time I am also realizing that I will be spending more time over here, and hopefully not just lurking... (I am lurking at simpeg too). However, I still find it difficult to make a post just to say that something looks nice, I would rather be able to add something constructive. Maybe I should work on changing that habit a little... &blush

Jeronij, I finally got to read the thread in your sig. My 11 year old son (Joel) has a classmate (Casper) who is just like Bastian, so I can feel very strongly for you. I also know how much love Casper gives and takes. It is amazing to see how he has developed since I first learnt to know him, at the age of 3. I also know Bastian will grow up and be very proud of his father. I want to thank you for setting up SC4D and wish you all the best!

Cali

i believe lurking is a good learning tool. it helps you to feel out the site you are in. when i lurked at st i noticed alot of people weren't always getting the help they needed. so i tried to help. and that was the end of my lurking days
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

thundercrack83

Cali: That's a good point. I did the same thing, only subconsciously. I would spend hours looking around at the wealth of information trying to absorb as much of it as possible, partly because I didn't want to bother people with what I thought were stupid questions. It was only after I could not find the answer I was looking for that I would post. Then, as I got more comfortable and knowledgeable, I attempted to answer other people's questions. For me, the whole thing was a learning process.