• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Interchange Guide Submissions

Started by Haljackey, November 26, 2011, 12:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durfsurn

A quick tutorial on how to build a Partial Y Interchange using FARHW and smooth to make it more compact and realistic.

EDIT: SUBMITTED TO Y-INTERCHANGE THREAD
[/color][/b]

First lay down 2 lines of RHW-6S with TWO TILES of space between them.

Now drag out from the starters and drag for 10-20 tiles. Then delete the 3 tiles of the starter piece and go to the end of the highway like this.

Now go into your FARHW Menu (a subsection of the Highway Tab) and cycle through until you find this piece (I think it's called RHW-6S C1 NAM Team can help here?)

Now add a smooth curve (RHW-4 45*) to the top of the left carriageway like so and drag out diagonal RHW from it. (If you get RHW-2 just add a starter connect it and demolish the starter)

Now start your overpass by putting the ELRHW-4 transition ramps on either side of the diagonal RHW in line with the right carrigeway.

Then you think you need some puzzle pieces for this but with new technology available in RHW 5.0 (current version of time of post)you can simply drag straight over from the ramp! (If you have problems contact the NAM team for troubleshooting)

Now back to your FARHW menu and pick out the RHW-4 FAR piece and add 3 to the right FARHW ramp. The 1 to the left one.

Now at the end of the FARHW add a Short Inner Curve (The FARHW-Diag NOT the FARHW-Ortho) and drag that away.

Now demolish the FARHW piece on the left ramp and replace it with a Short Outer Curve (The FARHW to ortho) and another curve again to line it up 2 spaces form the other carriageway.

Well done you have completed what seems to be the longest and most complicated tutorial for a Partial Y interchange. *WHEW* :-[

Haljackey

Nice job Durfsurn! Go ahead and post it when you get a chance. Kinda busy with the Holiday Season here... I can do it later but its easier to credit you if you're the one that posts it.

McDuell

I don't know if this interchange layout counts sufficiently as a full diamond. Anyway, I made a tutorial for building this one.  ;D

The tutorial can now be found here:)

(edit: removed pictures and tutorial from this post to save bandwidth of my photobucket account)
----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

Haljackey

Huh, I guess it is a form of a full diamond. I say it qualifies, so go ahead and post it and I'll add it to the index!

Very creative! The trick using rail stubs may warrant a tutorial in itself. I did not know about that!

McDuell

Quote from: Haljackey on October 20, 2013, 08:16:56 AM
Huh, I guess it is a form of a full diamond. I say it qualifies, so go ahead and post it and I'll add it to the index!

Very creative! The trick using rail stubs may warrant a tutorial in itself. I did not know about that!

Thank you Ryan.  :)

I've added the guide as section 19.1 under Full Diamond Interchanges.

However, I don't quite get why the rail stubs should be that special. There is nothing magical about them as they figure purely as a visual guidance; I could just as well have used some bus stops, water pumps, or a medium park. I normally tend to use rails as helper pieces because they are cheap and can be reached via a keyboard shortcut. It's just helping me visualize the layout of interchanges while I'm building them, especially when they are more complex.  ;)
----------------
----------------

MandelSoft

Actually, it's not a full diamond interchange, but a Gothic Interchange:

Lurk mode: ACTIVE

McDuell

- According to the English Wikipedia, this is a Full Diamond.
- According to the Dutch Wikipedia, it's called a Gothic Interchange.
- According to the German Wikipedia, it's a Gothic interchange, also called a Full Diamond.
- For fun, I let Google translate the Russian Wikipedia text for this interchange. They call it 'Rhombic', and the description also contains the word 'diamond'.
Now which one is really true ?  ()what()

(Idea: As my language is (Swiss) German, can we agree that both is correct?  :D)
----------------
----------------

Haljackey

I could call the section Full Diamond/Gothic interchanges if that helps?

Edit: I have added the guide to the table of contents and indexed it as well.

Only one guide currently remains in the placeholder section (box interchange)

thebagleboy

A tutorial on building a T-intersection using RARHW for smooth curves.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. First thing to do is start with two RH-6S stubs spaced 1 tile apart.

2. Now to get the entrance/exit done for this side. Place one RHW-6S Type F1 Entrance on the top route and a RHW-6S Type F1 Exit on the bottom route, staggered one tile to the right. This will be important for a later step to work.

3. Now we are going to place some FARHW pieces. Starting from the ramp we placed in the last step, place in this order: a FAMIS-1 straight piece, a FAMIS to diagonal transition (inner), FAMIS to diagonal transition (outer), FAMIS-1-FAMIS-1 (Boomerang) curve - Outer, and finally a FAMIS>MIS long curve outer shell (small). The positions of these have all been outlined in red.

4. Now we have to transition the RHW-4 up to L1. Place 2 1-Level Flexible Height Transitions as close to the ramps as possible. Drag the L1 RHW-4 out a few tiles past the edge of the last step.

5. Now we'll do the last ramp for this side. Starting from the ramp from step 2, place two FAMIS to diagonal transition (inner) curves followed by two FAMIS-1 straight pieces. The 1x1 space with RHW-2 will require a filler so place that in after you have placed the other pieces.

6. We now have to get a transition up to L2. Place a 2-Level Flexible height transition 1 rile up & to the right of the last straight piece from before.

7. Place a RHW-4 Type F1 On/Off ramp to complete this connection and to finish the 2 level height transition. You may like to place a L2 MIS starter at the top of the transition for some added stability. 3 tiles to the right, place a MIS start and drag under the L1 RHW-4 to connect up to the loop we made in step 3.

8. Place a FLEXFly EMIS-1 (15m) type A1 piece in the space between the three networks. Drag the L2 MIS over the L1 RHW-4 and the L0 MIS. You may require a starter piece on either side for it to be stable so place one if you think you need it.

9. Time to transition everything back down to L0. Place the relevant flexible height transitions and place starters at the bottom to override the default networks.

10. Place a FAMIS-1>MIS-1 short outer curve followed by a RHW-6S Type F1 exit to connect the MIS ramp to the main route. Drag through the RHW-4 to connect the ramp to the transition downwards.

11. This is the last connection we have to make. Place a RHW-6S F1 exit just after the transition down the L0. Straight after that ramp, place a FAMIS to diagonal transition (inner). You'll need to place another one two tiles down and the the left. It's up to you whether you use filler pieces or try use a starter to connect the two together. Finally place a RHW-4 type F1 on/off ramp to complete the connection. Connect everything that was left unconnected and drag out the final roads. You can use FARHW-4>FARHW-4 short outer curves and a straight piece to shorted the gap between the RHW-4 route.

12. Finally the intersection is complete. Add cosmetic pieces and decorate where you feel is necessary. Now all that is left to do is enjoy your new intersection.

Haljackey

Nice job thebagleboy! I like that design and the effects you added highlighting tiles.

I am not sure if this falls under the T-interchange category however. It might be a T-bone as there is only one flyover ramp. If posted in the T-bone thread, it would be section 9.2.

BugWyzer

;D Just wanted to say thanks to all. I just started playing and have learned a lot from all.

Swordmaster

thebagleboy, I would advise to convert your images to .jpg. Otherwise, nice work.

Cheers
Willy

woodb3kmaster

Here's a tutorial on building a semi-directional T interchange, partly adapted from Moonraker0's excellent tutorial on the directional T.

This guide will show you how to build a semi-directional T interchange between two RHW-6S freeways. It can be adapted for use with RHW-8Ss by simply using different ramps, and a variant involving RHW-6Cs is shown at the end.

Step 1: Plop two type A2 FlexRamps side by side. In NAM 32, the description of this particular FlexRamp mistakenly reads "FlexRamp Type A1", but if you press Tab six times after selecting the FlexRamps menu item, you'll reach it. In any event, it should look as follows:

Step 2: Plop a two-level Flex-Height Transition immediately after the A2 ramp on the right, and a one-level Flex-Height Transition after the ramp on the left. The two level height transition may not convert to RHW-4 for its whole length; just click on part of it with the RHW tool selected to convert the rest. (I chose to align the ends of the two height transitions for aesthetic purposes, but you don't have to. If you do, however, you'll need to drag RHW-4 from the ramp to the one-level height transition to convert it to RHW-4.)

Step 3: From the last cell of the two-level height transition, drag a stretch of L2 RHW-4 three cells orthogonally, then diagonally to the left. The three cells includes the last cell of the height transition and is necessary to keep the override from breaking.

Step 4: From the last cell of the one-level height transition, drag a stretch of L1 RHW-4 until it intersects one cell of the diagonal L2 RHW-4, then release the mouse button. To finish the L1 flyover, drag three cells orthogonally from the other side of the L2 flyover, then drag diagonally to the right. Again, this is to keep the override from breaking. You have to drag halfway across the diagonal flyover to keep both carriageways stable.

Make sure you drag both diagonal flyovers so that there is at least a two-cell span of straight, diagonal flyovers under them. Your through highway will go in this space, and you won't be able to drag it under the flyovers if they turn in that space. Refer to the following picture to see what I mean:

Step 5: If you haven't done so already, curve the ends of your flyovers so that they're orthogonal and perpendicular to the direction they were originally going, as in the previous picture. Then plop a two-level Flex-Height Transition at the end of the L2 flyover, and a one-level Flex-Height Transition at the end of the L1 flyover (don't worry about the one-cell gaps between the flyovers and the height transitions; they're unavoidable when placing the transitions, and you'll fill those gaps soon enough). Don't connect the flyovers to the height transitions yet, or the flyovers may deconvert to RHW-2.

Step 6: Plop another FlexRamp type A2 at the ground-level ends of the height transitions you just placed. Here's the ramp and one-level height transition:

And here's the ramp and two-level height transition (as in step 2, if this height transition doesn't fully convert to RHW-4 when you plop the ramp, just click on it until the whole thing converts):

You may now connect the height transitions to the flyovers.

Step 7: Drag a RHW-4 carriageway between the two ramps you just placed. Since it will pass under the two flyovers, you'll once again need to half-drag across each flyover to keep everything from deconverting.

Step 8: Plop two RHW-4 inner curves in the following pattern. Make sure to leave one cell of space between one of the curves and the carriageway you just dragged. You will need to use a diagonal RHW-4 filler in the space between the two curves; make sure it has a narrow shoulder.

Step 9: Plop another FlexRamp type A2 at the end of the curve you built in step 8, and drag RHW-4 from both curves to the nearest ramps, as shown in the previous picture.

Step 10: Plop two more RHW-4 inner curves in the same pattern as before, but right next to the L2 flyover. Once again, you'll need to fill in the gap between them with a diagonal RHW-4 filler. Note the same spacing between the curve and the carriageway.

Step 11: Plop another FlexRamp type A2 at the end of the curve from the last step and drag RHW-4 to connect the curve to it (and to the other ramp from step 1).

Step 12: Drag the other through carriageway from the ramp you just placed to the ramp from step 9. You'll have to half-drag it across the flyovers, like you did in step 7.

Step 13: Drag RHW-6S carriageways out of all six ramps, away from the interchange.

You're done! You can now decorate the interchange however you wish.

If you leave one cell of space between the ramps, you can then plop RHW-6S-to-6C Symmetrical transitions beyond the ramps and have RHW-6Cs leading into the interchange:

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

woodb3kmaster

At the risk of gravedigging, has anyone in charge noticed my submission above? It would be nice to have it officially added to the guide if it's deemed suitable.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

APSMS

I don't mean to be a downer, but this Interchange guide is for the RHW, and you've used OWR here. &Thk/(

Also, it would help if your tutorials used zero mods (aside from the basic NAM, obviously). This is especially noticed when using the One-Way-Roads, because we can't tell which direction the roads are going, and your tutorial didn't explain this either. I'm not sure what the point of the ramps are since you can make turns on OWR, and you wouldn't be going that fast on these anyways.

Sorry if I was harsh, but it's my $0.02, and it really isn't in the right thread.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Abrams124

Well if you watch the tutorial closely you can see that it clearly explains how to drag it.Also it isn't possible without owr if you want a small version.Nobody wants a interchange which consumes half of his map.I suggest you to read it again and watch closely for directions

noahclem

As that's neither an RHW intersection or a tutorial but a series of OWR intersections and a link it does not fit this topic and should be removed. Thanks for your cooperation.

noahclem

Best of luck in future then. If you're looking for somewhere that welcomes defensive, confrontational behavior and angry outbursts while refusing to speak the truth to work that could use improvement than you are probably indeed not at the right site.

Abrams124

I assume that i got a little bit too angry but why i got angry is because you weren't 100% honest me.The "thanks for your cooperation" hit me hard because i know what you think in real life:ah this guy is a big noob who can't make interchanges and just wasted the bandwith.And what else i noticed,no motivation for next time.Hmm what about if i make another tutorial for another interchange and then you share your opinion fully honestly,and then i regret what i said and will stay

noahclem

"Thanks for your cooperation" is something I'm used to hearing as part of airport security rules, or a fire drill, or any other situation where someone is explaining rules telling you to do something but are trying to do it politely. As a staff member and stake-holder in this website (as well as someone who values being nice just for being nice) it's strongly in my interest to encourage and welcome new members and if you look through my posts I'm sure you'll find hundreds of instances of that and nothing attacking people because their newer and less experienced than I am. In fact, I don't think I've heard of anyone on any website posting something that pointless and mean. If you'd like to try again here you're certainly welcome but please don't be offended if people inform you of the rules or offer you suggestions--even if they're saying "thanks" to be polite instead of literally being thankful for something ;)