• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Official Paradox Interactive - Cities: Skylines Discussion

Started by threestooges, March 04, 2015, 06:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

Well, here we are on the eve of the game's release. Spent most of the day at work, but it seems like there's been some good buzz going here.

That prompts me to ask: think there would be interest from you guys, our members, in having a separate or semi-integrated part of the site for Cities: Skylines. Good? Bad? Other? There's a poll above that we'll have open for the next few days. Leave us your thoughts.
-Matt

joshua43214

QuoteWould you like to see a section here at SC4D set aside for Cities: Skylines MDs, etc?

Whoa there! Let's not get carried away.

Let us wait and see what we really have before we start loosing our focus. If this turns out to be a true successor to SC4, then we should indeed establish a section here and on the LEX devoted to playing and modding.

I mean, wouldn't it suck if we discovered there was some hard coded limitation to modding that has been obfuscated during promotion? For example, how do we keep LEX standards if there is some weird thing like no more than 65 props per bat, or some other arbitrary limitation the Devs added.

Take a deep breath and relax. Focus is extremely important to a community.

-Josh

P.S. I just ordered the game. Purchased the deluxe addition. I want CO to succeed at this to send a message to other game publishers that people do buy games that are not easy, and city builders are still money makers. Maybe CO is willing to step up it's game and become the Bethesda of city builders.

CasperVg

It has been officially released on Steam now - everyone who buys the game can play it now.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

catty

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

xannepan

Ever since simcity-4, city simulation has become more a hobby for me than just occasional game play. Over the years I have created many custom buildings (mainly Paris and medieval themes) and mods (amongst other the Jupiter (weather) and the Aurora mods) for simcity-4. Simcity 2013 was a major disappointment on all accounts.

I have been fortunate to have been invited to test Cities Skylines' modding tools during the beta phase for the past couple of months. And during that time I have also been able to play the game. Cities Skylines exceeds my expectations. The potential that can be unlocked by the community and by DLCs provided by CO is unbelievable. I am absolutely overwhelmed by how great this game is.

Additionally, I have gained the utmost respect for CO. It is unbelievable what a small team of creative people can do. Aside from developing a fantastic game, CO actually listens to the community to the best of their abilities.

Bound by an NDA, it has been challenging for me not being able to respond to all the comments, questions, critisicm, (sometimes unjust) speculation on the forums. And I kept thinking if only you could get to play the game for half an hour and - like me - become captivated by studying the little CIMS in their daily routine, or laying out the most amazing road interchanges. Finally a game again I can enjoy again without having to shoot someone.

Off course some I do share some of the criticism that also has been shared on the forums. I could even create a list of a dozen or more features that I would like to see changed or improved. But all that is driven by my enthusiasm for this game, and there is a time a place for everything. So for now I am just giving this game a 10/10.

For me personally that also means the end of my Simcity-4 era.  With some sadness I am moving on, and I will start creating custom content and mods for Cities Skylines (under my new avatar name Xave). Goodbye and thanks to the SC4 community and friends for all the fun.I hope to see you all soon again on some of Cities Skylines forum.

-Alex

zimmie

Incredible game. I think it's a winner and I am hopeful that a lot of the top batters / modders from SC4 work their magic on this game. Such a great base game - going to be incredible after the mod community has awhile to work with it. This is SC5 for me definitely. Didn't think I'd be saying it so soon, but I am moving on too.

CahosRahneVeloza

CahosRahneVeloza, speaking of rules: please familiarize yourself with our site rules, 16 & 17 especially. This thread is for discussion about Cities:Skylines, not another game and certainly not for going on a off topic rant about someone else.

Post removed ~ Erik, Global Moderator

Diggis

Snip
Quote from: azurespecter on March 05, 2015, 06:28:16 PM
But you're completely wrong to believe that we won't be shaping the post-release development and upgrades of Cities: Skylines based on feedback from our players. Once again, I understand the skepticism, but I hope you'll give us a chance to prove our worth =)

Bring it on, friend. Put us to the test before you assume the worst out of us!

Welcome to the site mate. I only saw this game recently via someone here's facebook post. Bought it yesterday and have to say, so far so good.  Had a wee play before work and really enjoyed it. Felt familiar enough, but with enough new.

Look forward to seeing where you guys take the game.  Not sure how much time I'll have to mod/model, but also looking forward to seeing what the geniuses here get up to.  :thumbsup:

itsacoaster

Well, I seem to have played for 9 hours yesterday.  Not bad for Day 1.

One thing I was kind of fascinated to discover was that intersection geometry matters.  If vehicles have to slow way down to make a sharp turn, it can cause a traffic backup in this game.  I fixed the geometry and the backup resolved itself.

I would love to see some slip lanes in the future.

eggman121

To everyone that has had an association with making and testing the game. A big thank you!!!  &apls I am indeed really impressed with the realism and the approach the game has taken. I'm actually torn between which game I should focus my attention too? SimCity 4 or Cities: Skylines?

I guess my post here is about modding. I know it is early days yet but what sort of advanced modding would be expected from the community. The NAM almost always requires 3rd party tools e.g Ilives reader, Modeling software, Texturing Software and an assortment of other tools that users have made over the years for specialized purposes. I guess the 3rd party modding has led to the longevity of SimCity 4, with the creations of the NAM Team, BSC, RTMT and other mods that have been made by individual developers.

I can only hope that this is true for Cities: Skylines that Modding at a intermediate level is encouraged! I can already tell that most of the framework is there for advanced interchanges and more fluent design. Kudos to you  :thumbsup:

Now there are always thing that users would like in Cities: Skylines that are not available. Luckily the list is quite short.

1) Many building Models have been created over the years in either Gmax or 3Ds Max. 3Ds max has the ability to export to .FBX (The current Model standard the game supports) I tried a simple model from Blender (A free and open source Modeling program) and could not get my Model to show up in the Asset manager. Now that is not the Issue with Cities: Skylines but a problem for the Modeling Program Itself. If only Gmax could also export in .FBX

2) The Ramps for the Highways  connections are too abrupt IMHO. Maybe some Ramp styles to allow for more realistic transitions in the future. The rest of the Highway system is very neat and fluid however.

Those are the only things I would like to see in a future expansion of the game. The rest is spot on.

Again thank you for reading this and I hope that this game will flourish like SimCity 4 has.

Just my impressions and thoughts

-eggman121   

art128

Quote from: eggman121 on March 11, 2015, 01:39:33 PMI'm actually torn between which game I should focus my attention too? SimCity 4 or Cities: Skylines?

Please, finish at least the over head lines project for simcity 4 before going to C:SK. :(
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

eggman121

Quote from: art128 on March 11, 2015, 03:25:00 PM
Please, finish at least the over head lines project for simcity 4 before going to C:SK. :(

Will do  ;) I want them as much as you so I will continue to make them.

-eggman121

carlfatal

What I saw until now is making me eager to buy this new game. I hope to have a chance in April, cause I spent my last free money into Skyrim two weeks ago (never played it before).  $%Grinno$%

And although I am sad, that Xannepan will leave SC4 for the new game, - his informations and thoughts make this decision reasonable. I think, most of us will meet in SC again, - I hope so.

So for now I would like to see, how people use Cities Skylines, who played SC4 with passion. That should look different from what I have seen in some videos. I am sure, there are some nice towns out there, worth to be shown. In the Simforum some of our members showed their first creations, and it was (and is) intriguing.

So my wish, short and easy: a MD with this game!  :)

pxljce

First I have to save up to buy a decent(ish) video card for my pc, then buy the game. So  ...  much  ...  patience and Iwantitnow.  $%Grinno$%

A few things that have caught my attention:

On steam they hit max 50,000 players in-game at one point, that means CO/Paradox is raking in the cash. Cash = CO/Paradox coming up with expansions + dlc (love it or hate it) similar to other games that became a hit like CK2. And just the usual tlc they lavish on their games based on community feedback. Win!

It seems plobbable buildings are possible, but so far it seems not standard RCI ones. I'm hoping there's a way of getting RCI buildings in-game by plopping and for them to function as proper RCI buildings. So far from what I've seen it seems no? I know you can plop buildings, but they have special "functions" similar to maybe landmarks in SimCity 4. This link: http://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/2vvamz/mod_and_ploppable_skyscapers/

Districts. I'm thinking this might make it possible to do something like an European old inner city. Beautiful Parisian buildings by Xannepan, no problem just paint the district and limit to only parisian style buildings. Not 100% sure about this, but the way I understand districts this should be possible. Special types of industrials are triggered by being in a district, surely this will be extensible to residential and commercial?

The steam workshop is going to turn into a mess, we need some way (ala SC4Devotion) to find decent custom content for this game. Knowing who is creating and that they are quality creators would be great.

Modular(ploppable?) anything. Harbours/farms/airports. Those tiny farms and airport/harbour just won't do.
From http://www.skylineswiki.com/Asset_Editor --
Max size for automatically spawning buildings: 4x4 cells
Max sizes for manually placed buildings: 16x8, 15x9, 14x11, 13x12, 12x13, 11x14, 9x15 or 8x16 cells

And I second eggman121 on the highways. Oh and I'm sure there will be a way to tone down those overly saturated colours.

*edit
Yup, seems there is and actually kinda easy. http://www.skylineswiki.com/Color_correction
So far I like these colours better: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=403440351&searchtext=

I think I'm excited about a city sim game again for the first time since SC4 and I haven't even played it yet! :)

And now for some eyecandy: http://i.imgur.com/PEY0WxG.jpg

mrsmartman

A section here at SC4D set aside for Cities: Skylines MDs, etc, would be good for all.

belfastsocrates

As I mentioned in Xannepan's thread I truly hope that this new game provides the much needed boost our city-simulation community needs and completely and totally embraces custom content and game manipulation, in effect it becomes our much sought-after SC5. If it does indeed live up to that idea then it will be successful and I will embrace it.

I am a SC4 lover at heart and I still enjoy creating lots and buildings cities in SC4. SC4 is a hobby I can dip in and out of when I have the time and I've spent many years creating my current city, I have great affection for it and I would never give it up.

If the level of custom content and game manipulation is embraced by our very talented community they I will buy the game and build with it. However, I have a city that contains many many years of work in regard to custom content and lot editing, that is going to be difficult to replicate and as such I'll likely keep my SC4 city, continue to build and develop it and start afresh with Skylines on something new.

I do wish the game well and I hope it's as successful as people want, and I suppose need, it to be. If the developers stay true to their custom content pledge then this could be our much desired SC5.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

j-dub

Considering GTA V had working traffic signals after the intersection with working left turn signal sequences and separate walk signal sequences. If this game had that, I would of bought it. Oh well.

catty

I pre-ordered Cities: Skylines a while back, but didn't bother to install it after the release date as there was no point with a single core celeron processor with intel graphics, last night I though what the heck, its slow I haven't been game enough to start a proper city in it as I'm not sure just what my computer would do if I start actually building anything but it does work ... see attached pictures

For anyone that is interested I've posted my computer specs over at CB
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

vortext

pxljce yeah for now the asset editor basically is a park & interchange editor and the latter especially are flooding the steam workshop, iirc there were already about ~300 interchanges on there yesterday. Districts are very neat indeed, as are the milestones btw since it appears these can be re-written relative easily which would - theoretically - allow for a new gameplay experience. That would be really nice since it's quite hard to make new rewards for SC4. 

belfastsocrates I feel the same. The 'unlock all 25 tiles' mod seems nice and all but common, in the end it's still only 10 x 10 km . .  ::)
Besides SC4 allows for such a high and intricate level of LE work, frankly I doubt CS will ever match that if only because of SC4 isometric view which allows for a much higher level of graphical detail. 

Catty at least you could install it, go play already !  >:(  $%Grinno$%

Speaking of specs, I'm very close settling on a new pc: i5-4460 3.2GHz, 8GB ram, GeForce GTX 750, 2T HHD and Windows 7 pro.  :bnn:
Slightly above budget (as these things tend to . . ) but it should last me a decent number of years, right?
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

belfastsocrates

I had a look at the specs and I'm glad I'm buying a new laptop!

I'm also hoping that over time the 'cartoon-like' colours are replaced as the results of new content and mods. I'm not a fan of the colours currently.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde