• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Insulo and Kaskaskia | I've a Feeling We're Not in Insulo... (February 6, 2013)

Started by 2b2gbi, February 06, 2011, 02:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2b2gbi

Here's a map for your Reference:

Today we'll start with a mosaic from San Sebastian, just to set up the contrast:

Now we move to a very different place, the former Capital of Insulo, Cxefurbo. Cxefurbo is a planned city, and the original phase build in 1947 after the Viboras Swamps were drained. The city was designed to be inexpensive and simplistic, the realization of the utopian dreams of the Insulonian National Party. In 1971, the outer levee broke, and now the swamps have reclaimed large tracts of the city.

Welcome to the Swamps:

When man attempts to outdo nature, well you can see who won (Mosaic):

On the other side of the wall we see a typical, gloomy day in Cxefurbo:

So much concrete (mosaic):

Hope you liked this contrast to other parts of Insulo. I really do enjoy doing things that are different, being one dimensional is just so boring, and I want to like the game. It is after all a game, even if I use it more like a canvas.

-Jon
You can call me Jon. :)

Check out my MD: Bienville, Missouri

Reikhardt

I think that's your best update yet, really gritty looking, with great detail!

RickD

Very good pictures. I like the athmosphere.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

peter007

Nice update.
The villas are perfect, but do they fit in your environment?

-Ernst

Tomas Neto

Great update, very nice work!!!  :thumbsup:

2b2gbi

It's been so long since I've done this. Sorry about that by the way, real life has been incredibly busy then we went on a cross-country road trip. I'm back now though, and have been working on a little side project called Jonesboro, an attempt to create a realistic American city, showcasing everything from it's Sunday best to it's dingy nightwear. Then after each picture I'll  explain the influence on the picture from various American cities, mostly in the Midwest. I hope you enjoy this break from Insulo, it's been something I've wanted to do for a very long time, and now I have time. So, with no further ado, a little something to wet your whistle.

This particular picture, our unceremonious welcome to Jonesboro, is of the inner-city neighborhood known as Edenderry. When I made this section of the city I tried to incorporate my experiences with low-class inner-city neighborhoods, and one depressing small town. The wide parkways were inspired by the Parkway system in my hometown, Kansas City. This is a minor parkway, nothing like a major parkway like The Paseo in Kansas City, and thus has fallen into disrepair, though pretty flowers have been proven to do very little to pierce through the crime and poverty anyway. The rest of the general dilapidation is inspired mostly by again the Northeast side of Kansas city, Missouri, and my recent travels through the North Side of St. Louis, Missouri, East St. Louis, Illinois, and Cairo, Illinois.

Well that's all you get for now, sorry! Hope you're looking forward to seeing more though.

-Jon

rooker1

Good to see you back. 
If your up coming updates are anything like your last one, we are in for a real treat.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

RickD

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Sciurus

I saw your other updates, it's wonderful! &apls &apls Great job.

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Nanami

2b2gbi

Hello again everyone, this is the first real update in my side project, Jonesboro. I've tweaked the formula to have a lot less text, so without further ado:

The first Image is of Liberty Boulevard cutting through the heart of Edenderry. The wide parkway in this picture is based on the Parkways in Kansas City, Missouri. The rest of the scene is influenced primarily by urban areas in the states of Missouri and Illinois.

Here we see some rowhouses in Edenberry. This area was influenced my many larger American cities with rowhouses, though most of the actual models used are typical of Baltimore.

This image shows a wealthier area of Edenderry, Millionaire Row along Washington Avenue, which is the street seen horizontally. This is based rather specifically off of Millionaire Row in Cairo, Illinois, with some additional influence from areas in Kansas City.

The next picture depicts another scene with rowhouses, as well as some small commercial, along Liberty Boulevard. This image has the same influences as the other picture of rowhouses

The last picture is of Thames Street crossing I-257 with the interchange built to give Edenderry better access to the freeway system. This is influenced by urban freeways in Kansas City and other cities in the Midwest.

I hope you enjoyed this, I put a lot of work into it. Next update may be of Edenderry or another area of Jonesboro, or possibly even a jump back to Insulo. You'll have to wait to know, as I haven't made up my mind yet.

-Jon

wallasey

You most certainly have put a lot of work into this, and it shows!

What makes it even better is the fact you have provided some background info into the images...telling us why the places are what they are ( a rare novelty!)

Keep up the good work.

marsh

Amazing work Jon. This reminds me of (A lot of actually) American cities, and I love that.  :)

,marsh

nbvc

peter007

Wonderful updates. Everything fits together perfectly.

-Ernst

Reikhardt

I really like this, it has that gritty urban feel, dirty and lived-in  &apls  &apls

io_bg

Very nice update, I like the run-down feel of this city!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Ol.S / Benoit

Nice update, I like the atmosphere :)
Highway exit work is perfect !
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture

noahclem

I'm glad you've found a bit more time for your MD again and I apologize for missing the last update. The American-style city looks very promising and I look forward to seeing more of it--glad to see the RHW as well  :thumbsup:  I also loved the previous "contrast" update with the swamps, commie blocks, and nicer area. Great work  &apls