• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Greater Featherstall: Salford

Started by wallasey, June 20, 2011, 06:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallasey

Consultation responses are in, however before things go ahead, the road network needs redesigning and the public informed.

I can't change my sig for some reason, so please keep a look out on the forum menu for updates!

Adetsaj: Thanks for your support! It will be soon! This is trying to follow the UK planning system as close to form as possible. A little bit of background work before the network is built (next update!)

Terring7: I have taken your views on board, hopefully this update will clear up a few points? Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Tomas Neto: Thanks for commenting!!!

It should all come together in the next update!

Thanks for stopping by, please comment with pointers if you have any!

Sciurus

That's a nice city! :) The mix between old and recent buildings make me thinking on London... is that your model?

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Tomas Neto

thefunktopus

So British!
Nice to see all of the mix ups of names and the english buildings -especially charing X, i live about 2miles away!

supremec

Click on the banner to see my BATs

wallasey

Sciurus:
Thanks!

I have only been to London 5 times in my 22 years, the most recent being a few months ago. I do see where you are coming from but my inspiration is more Northern. Think Manchester, Liverpool, Bradford, Sheffield and a bit of Birmingham. If you like I could post a few of my own RL photos from these places for you?

Tomas Neto:

As always, thanks for your reply!

thefunktopus: Cheers bud, you live in the Capital do you? Cant remember the last time I was in the real Charing Cross....although we do have one in Birkenhead (which is far less glamorous!). Thanks for posting!

supremec
Thanks for that!!

A bit of sad news.

My 6 year old Laptop which has the Featherstall Region on it has developed a power problem. It won't switch on! It did briefly but then I moved and the thing cut out again.

Needless to say I am "gutted". I was able to back up my plugins folder but I never got round to doing the same for this region.

I have moved everything over onto a different comp, uploaded SC4 onto it and the terraformer. The silver lining to this cloud is that the specs are better (there is a 5 year age difference) which in turn means I can develop a larger region.

Below is what the new region looks like now, I have started developing it, with a population of around 20k.

There is still a lot of terraforming work to do.

From the feedback I have been getting, I get the impression a few of you are interested in the way I build my cities. As I am starting back at square 1, you may get the opportunity to see the work in progress shots as well as the finished article instead of just modifying the latter.

Featherstall still lives on. I always name my main city of the region after this placename. In real life this is actually a road name in Oldham, Greater Manchester (Formerly Lancashire)

I hope you will be able to stick with me, I also hope you enjoy the new region. It is not dissimilar to the lost one.

Regards!

Tomas Neto

Really bad news, my friend!!! I hope that you can do many cities quickly!!!
Good luck to you and always remember to make backups!!!

wallasey

Cheers Thomas, I am getting things up to speed, but still a long way to go until we are back to how things were before! I tried the old laptop yesterday...no joy.

-----------------

Just a few work in progress shots from the Braithwaite tile. Slightly flatter in some parts than the previous Braithwaite, but still hopefully just as pleasant.

A little bit of background, Braithwaite sits on the Eastern Shore of the big lake, it is also the administrative town for that area of the region.

Overhead shot of the zones for the town centre, the avenue is a inner relief route providing a bypass for the town centre. A few low res zones have been constructed at roundabouts.

I like the thought of having a church on a hill overlooking the lake. A small wharf by the foot ferry is below.

Braithwaite Town Hall stands in the centre of the image. The buildings are low density, many will remain as I want the town centre to look historical. However, I will put in the occasional block just to sustain my population base which will hopefully be in the 60-70k for this tile. Currently on 20k so there is still some way to go!

What do people think?

Adetsaj

what a nice update  &apls , and i hope it will soon developed more into a great city :)

The Beautiful empire, of Gardarian

And call me Daniel

Tomas Neto

Yeah..., very nice!!! Is a good news see this development!!!   :thumbsup:

art128

Nice job with this city, Braithwaite looks really good! That last image could really enter the picture competition, i'll for sure vote for it! :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

wallasey

Adetsaj: Cheers bud, I am wanting to keep development on this tile down a little. More will be explained soon!

Tomas Neto: Thanks mate, I hope you like what more I have in store!

art128 Thanks very much! Really? That is one major compliment! Never really thought of entering into competitions!

----------------

Not a update per-se, I just watched a tv program on BBC2 about the growth and development of towns. Perth in Scotland was this evening's focus, and the only one of these I have seen. It did tick all the boxes of UK urbanism so it might be of interest to some of you! I would defiantly recommend the Perth episode.

TOWN with Nicholas Crane

EDIT:

Couldn't resist posting a pic or two...

I am hoping to get a proper update finalised over the weekend.

All the best.

bat

Great new updates and wonderful work on your city.

Adetsaj

Nice suburb  &apls &apls and i also like the layout of your avenues, road, and street  :)

The Beautiful empire, of Gardarian

And call me Daniel

supremec

Click on the banner to see my BATs

jibjohn

I really like this region and think it has great potential. Can i aks which mods apart from the maxis blocker you use? I've been trying to get "gascookers" uk terraces to develop with no such luck,

John

noahclem

Excellent work since my last visit!  &apls  I love your use of diagonals and creative transportation system layouts.

Sorry to hear about you losing your old region. The new start is looking very promising though, and I'm sure will end up better than the old. I look forward to seeing it develop  :thumbsup:

Tomas Neto

Wow..., fantastic update again!!! Great!!!   &apls &apls

Nanami

art128

Nice suburbs man! Your building on slope is really wonderful. On the first picture I like how the rowhouses fits well with the school and the old hospital. But you should try to connect that little portion of street to the perpendicular road passing in front of it. On the last picture I love the view. The park, the tower and again these row housing. Good job. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog