• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Greater Featherstall: Salford

Started by wallasey, June 20, 2011, 06:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunv123

Oh, those avenues look a little bit dangerous with all the bumps. ;) Also looks fun as well. :D

Keep up the great work, seems like your traffic corridors are being used efficiently. :)

Happy Playing. :sunny:
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

noahclem

Nice suburban pics  &apls  I'm curious to see if the trams will make a comeback and definitely look forward to any potential motorway-oriented update  :thumbsup:

Schulmanator

See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

wallasey

Quote from: sunv123 on November 26, 2012, 01:56:28 PM
Oh, those avenues look a little bit dangerous with all the bumps. ;) Also looks fun as well. :D

Keep up the great work, seems like your traffic corridors are being used efficiently. :)

Happy Playing. :sunny:
Haha I need to iron out my creases! Originally, I used rail to smooth out the route, but my diagonal streets seem to have had other ideas!

I'll do my best! Thanks for coming by!

Quote from: noahclem on November 26, 2012, 02:19:42 PM
Nice suburban pics  &apls  I'm curious to see if the trams will make a comeback and definitely look forward to any potential motorway-oriented update  :thumbsup:

All in good time matey, although I can reveal the motorway update is not far away.....!!!

Thanks for the comments!

Quote from: Schulmanator on November 29, 2012, 06:22:56 PM
Great looking suburban pix.  &apls

Cheers!

I have a bumper update in store for you all today. We're going to take a look at a section of the M50, the main regional motorway for the Eastern part of Greater Featherstall. Some of my pics have decided to distort themselves, my apologies for this! Currently working through Inkscape and Paint so something may be wrong during transferring.

I've taken a back seat with descriptions this time round! If you would like more detail, please say!

All the best.

sunv123

Great! I love transit related updates! ;D'

Clever use of the avenue for the trumpet interchange. :thumbsup:
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

Schulmanator

Nice work! Roads, road signs and town all rock. Glad to see this one.  :thumbsup:
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

metarvo

I don't see the SPUI get a lot of action in MDs or SC4 pictures in general, so it's neat to see it here.  The use of the AVE-4 90° WRCs for the trumpet interchange is an interesting idea; it lowers the speed, but this actually makes sense for a 180° curve.  Good work, Wallasey.

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

kj3400

Excellent update. Those road signs are superb and I like the motorway heading through those cuttings.
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

noahclem

Excellent work  &apls  It's nice to follow the motorway through such a long stretch and the signs are a very nice addition, particularly fitting for the style of Featherstall. You have a number of really neat interchanges here and I also really liked the multi-level section of the motorway cut into the hillside  :thumbsup:

vinlabsc3k

Merry Christmas
and
Happy New Year
!!

Nice suburbs and town centers!! &apls
I prefer the last update with the overview of the M50. :thumbsup:
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

wallasey

Apologies for the dearth in updates, I've been making rather slow progress of late. I hope you have all had a great Christmas Period and are set for a great New Year. Without Further ado..

Quote from: sunv123 on December 09, 2012, 03:42:12 PM
Great! I love transit related updates! ;D'

Clever use of the avenue for the trumpet interchange. :thumbsup:

Hello, thanks for your kind words! I plan to do a few more transit updates soon. There's an interchange which I've been meticulously working on in another tile.

Quote from: Schulmanator on December 09, 2012, 04:08:11 PM
Nice work! Roads, road signs and town all rock. Glad to see this one.  :thumbsup:

Thanks Schulmanator! Glad you like my twist on all things British!

Quote from: metarvo on December 10, 2012, 05:41:20 AM
I don't see the SPUI get a lot of action in MDs or SC4 pictures in general, so it's neat to see it here.  The use of the AVE-4 90° WRCs for the trumpet interchange is an interesting idea; it lowers the speed, but this actually makes sense for a 180° curve.  Good work, Wallasey.

:thumbsup:

I find the SPUI to be very useful with the Avenue interchanges, We have normal turn lanes in the UK so this isn't far from the real thing for me. They are under-used defiantly!

The original Trumpet was far tighter using conventional RHW curves. This looked terrible so I went back to the drawing board and got that result! It is still a little tight but there are constraints surrounding the area. For example the slopes, railway and built up areas which don't really need demolishing.

Thanks for your comment!
Quote from: kj3400 on December 10, 2012, 11:09:18 AM
Excellent update. Those road signs are superb and I like the motorway heading through those cuttings.

Thanks! I didn't like the thought of driving a wide motorway through a cutting, so splitting the carriageways seemed like the best way forward. This set up does exist in real life too!

Thanks for your posting!

Quote from: noahclem on December 17, 2012, 04:46:32 AM
Excellent work  &apls  It's nice to follow the motorway through such a long stretch and the signs are a very nice addition, particularly fitting for the style of Featherstall. You have a number of really neat interchanges here and I also really liked the multi-level section of the motorway cut into the hillside  :thumbsup:

Hello Noah, yes I thought showing a nice lengthy section would give a greater perspective on the region. The multi level section(s) have been a real help aesthetically as I did not want a massive cutting or  scar in the landscape, it wouldn't feel realistic to me!

Thanks for commenting, I hope you have had a great festive period over in Siilijoki!

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on December 25, 2012, 03:47:46 AM

Merry Christmas
and
Happy New Year
!!

Nice suburbs and town centers!! &apls
I prefer the last update with the overview of the M50. :thumbsup:

And you too! Thanks for your kind words! I shall show more of the M50 and it's counterparts soon!

It has finally happened...I have started work on Featherstall City Centre, today I want to show you a few provisional views. Please note this is likely to be my Mark I version so things could change as time marches on. The city is yet to "come alive" as not all the surrounding tiles are fully built up, so less people are coming into the City Centre, hence the rather "dead" feel. Hopefully things will pick up.

Shopping is one of Featherstall's biggest attractions with it's malls, markets and wide shopping streets. With a multitude of fascinating buildings mixed in, Featherstall is a big destination when it comes to culture. St Stephens Temple is one of the oldest buildings in the urban core, taking a prominent position on the riverside.

Briggate Shopping Mall stands next to the "Briggate" which means "road to the bridge".

The New Trocadero is the multi coloured building in the bottom left, this houses some of Featherstall's premier entertainment facilities including a Cinema. Standing in the centre of the scene is the Indoor Featherstall Market, housing a wide array of wares and exclusive goods. Market's have always played a big part in Featherstall culture, with many generations of families being employed on the various stalls within. The family aspect of the market is a huge selling point for tourism, attracting hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. To the right is the Victoria Arcade...I will have more on that in a forthcoming update!

Featherstall City Hall stands proud amongst the city skyline. Looking upriver, the council chamber has a fantastic view over the hustle and bustle of city life. Originally, the grassed area to the front was built over. However, as time progressed, it was considered that the City Hall should stand overlooking gardens too.

Next door is the Williamson Art Gallery, this also doubles up as a magnificent exhibition venue.

The City Hall stands close to the Financial District. Business is big for any thriving city, this area has always been the chosen spot for commerce on the banks of the Lake, the giver of life to the City and it's environs. Some landmarks have been overshadowed by glass and steel structures. St Hilda's Church is soon to be dominated by another new building.

Quickly popping over into Stanneybrook, the inner city residential areas are springing up ok, I just need to surround the Featherstall tile in areas like this. Stanneybrook has made an appearance previously!

I hope this update was interesting for you all, There is still much work to be done!

Happy New Year for tomorrow!

Swordmaster

Great past couple of updates. Loved all the RHW stuff, despite a couple of bumps in the road here and there. The city center is coming along nicely, although I'd love to see an overview as well.

Cheers
Willy

Schulmanator

Nice work. You have a variety of building styles and they go together well.

WannGLondon

Love that financial district! And in the M50 tour update I really enjoyed the terraces climbing up Runshaw Hill. Your MD reminds me so much of Pense.  ;D
Call me Warren.

wallasey

Firstly, All the best to each and every one of you for 2013! Apologies for the belated good will!

It's been difficult juggling RL with SC, but Featherstall is never far from my thoughts!

Regarding Featherstall City Centre, It is due to under go a bit of tweaking, there were a few elements I was not happy with...nothing around the fringes seemed to gel!

Quote from: Swordmaster on December 30, 2012, 02:31:16 PM
Great past couple of updates. Loved all the RHW stuff, despite a couple of bumps in the road here and there. The city center is coming along nicely, although I'd love to see an overview as well.

Cheers
Willy

I am struggling to to iron out the creases! I think most of the issues lie with diagonals when I attempt to drag another route onto it at an angle! There's plenty of RHW stuff to come! Thanks for commenting!

Quote from: Schulmanator on January 01, 2013, 06:55:35 AM
Nice work. You have a variety of building styles and they go together well.

Thanks Schulmanator!

Quote from: WannGLondon on January 05, 2013, 03:56:16 PM
Love that financial district! And in the M50 tour update I really enjoyed the terraces climbing up Runshaw Hill. Your MD reminds me so much of Pense.  ;D

Thanks for stopping by! Yeah there are great similarities! I am glad the hills and terraces are going down a treat with you! I shall call over to Pense soon!

Thanks for stopping by! See you all next time!

bmikolajko

Great city, really!
I have question. Where can I get this mall (Carrefour) from this picture?
Thank's for answer!
Greetings
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff167/tranmererusko/d4_zps1f8f3ea8.jpg

Dantes

Your road planning is always very fascinating.  :) I look very much to your region. I like how you build.  :thumbsup:

Swordmaster

I don't mind some more of these suburbs; you're very good at it. :thumbsup:

Any chance for some wider screens of them? Maybe a mosaic? You seem to be stuck in the same zoom, try bringing some variety in that area.

Cheers
Willy

noahclem

Excellent work on the last couple updates  &apls  The city center features a very nice selection of buildings in a well-planned layout. A couple of the open areas (parks and plazas) seem a little empty which you might consider MMPs to resolve (trees, flowers, people, etc). The transportation featured next is fascinating, particularly the 4-way interchange. I'm curious what extra details on that you've yet to reveal. Keep up the great work!

wallasey

It's March...and we are back with a few snaps of Featherstall and it's envions. Today, we will take a brief look at Salford, but before that...

Quote from: bmikolajko on January 18, 2013, 04:56:41 PM
Great city, really!
I have question. Where can I get this mall (Carrefour) from this picture?
Thank's for answer!
Greetings
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff167/tranmererusko/d4_zps1f8f3ea8.jpg

No problem...the mall can be found here Thanks for stopping by!

Quote from: Dantes on January 19, 2013, 09:37:05 AM
Your road planning is always very fascinating.  :) I look very much to your region. I like how you build.  :thumbsup:

Thanks Dantes!!

Quote from: Swordmaster on January 20, 2013, 02:50:43 AM
I don't mind some more of these suburbs; you're very good at it. :thumbsup:

Any chance for some wider screens of them? Maybe a mosaic? You seem to be stuck in the same zoom, try bringing some variety in that area.

Cheers
Willy

Thanks Willy, yeah I need to do a mosaic soon, although I am never sure if any of my scenes are ready for that or not. I'll make an attempt and let the good people of SC4 decide!

The suburbs are coming on nicely, glad your liking them!!

Quote from: noahclem on January 20, 2013, 06:37:25 AM
Excellent work on the last couple updates  &apls  The city center features a very nice selection of buildings in a well-planned layout. A couple of the open areas (parks and plazas) seem a little empty which you might consider MMPs to resolve (trees, flowers, people, etc). The transportation featured next is fascinating, particularly the 4-way interchange. I'm curious what extra details on that you've yet to reveal. Keep up the great work!

Thanks Noah, I know what you mean, there does need to be more life and activity. The issue was that people were getting sucked up by buildings surrounding the main CBD, so no one was actually going there. I have since re-modelled Featherstall, although this may be re-modelled again to accommodate features in NAM31.

I'll be coming back to the Dinsdale Interchange in the near future....a road trip may be on the cards!!

Thanks for visiting...I need to come and visit Siilijoki!!

My image software wasn't playing ball so some pics aren't as sharp as others (sorry!)