• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

videosean

Since the left lane is a "passing lane" in the right-hand drive world there should be less traffic in the left lane therefor ending the left lane would have an impact on fewer drivers than ending the right lane would.  My 2 cents :)

Shadow Assassin

Alex, a suggestion: On the right-hand curve piece, move the dashed lines where it begins to curve slightly back and add an extra dash in between that and the first diagonal dashed line so that there isn't such a gaping wide space.

Also, believe it or not, but you can actually make that curve gentler, too, without changing any of the RULs, but a few tweaks to the path files may be needed.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Tarkus

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on August 04, 2008, 08:21:52 AM
Also, believe it or not, but you can actually make that curve gentler, too, without changing any of the RULs, but a few tweaks to the path files may be needed.

Well, fortunately, it's still in the RULing phases and I haven't (yet) attempted to path it, so this comes at a perfect time.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!  They are certainly welcome.

And regarding the right lane vs. left lane ending deal on the RHW-6C-to-4 transition, I've seen it both ways, and there's a certain logic to each one.  From a functional standpoint, I don't really see any point in making two separate pieces, but I have an idea for allowing one to choose one option or the other . . . ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

j-dub

I know different texture variations like SAM may be out of the question, but I was playing around today, and figured out how it could be possible. I was able to get more than one  RHW texture going the same direction right next to another RHW, by using the cntrl button and making it highwealth, where as the textures that didn't have wealth remained the same. So different textures for the RHW seem to be possible without using the starter overide.
Here goes.
Unzoned texture could be cement
I-Ag texture could be the cement texture with reflectors
Low Wealth C$could be Euro
Medium Wealth C$$ could be the default RHW texture
High Wealth C$$$ could be black with yellow line
It also leaves openings for more variations, but what more textures could be done?
So something like this, since buildings shouldn't be able to grow on the RHW, this could do the trick. (naturally certain RCI growable buildings do work off the RHW-4 for me) However, the only difference is the cement one would need duplicate puzzle pieces, because the other textures are all asphalt based.

deathtopumpkins

So j-dub, you mean you would zone a certain zone type next to a stretch of RHW and it would change the RHW texture to match?
A couple of questions:
1. Would it function like avenues where the texture for the entire stretch is chosen by what is zoned along it the most, or like a road where the zoning only affects the RHW immediately touching it?
2. What if you wanted a texture, say black with a yellow line, but all that would develop in the adjacent zone is C$?
3. What about residential?
4. What if you didn't want concrete pavement in an unzoned area, or one surrounded by something with no wealth, like sound walls?
5. I've found that concrete, around here anyway, is primarily used in urban areas only (especially elevated/sunken highways), and rural highways are almost always asphalt.

I think if some of these issues are addressed this would be a great idea and I would be willing to contribute texures, if you need some of those done.

Alex: Ooh... diagonal RHW6S! Are there going to be puzzle pieces for over RHW6S?
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Patricius Maximus

2 options? Tarkus, that's great  &apls.

j-dub: It would be a nice idea for some, but most (like me and DTP) wouldn't like it. Perhaps as an optional add-on? It's worth some thought.

As stated before, I'm looking forward to v21 of the RHW.

videosean

Quote from: j-dub on August 04, 2008, 11:31:50 AM
Unzoned texture could be cement
I-Ag texture could be the cement texture with reflectors
Low Wealth C$could be Euro
Medium Wealth C$$ could be the default RHW texture
High Wealth C$$$ could be black with yellow line
It also leaves openings for more variations, but what more textures could be done?
So something like this, since buildings shouldn't be able to grow on the RHW, this could do the trick. (naturally certain RCI growable buildings do work off the RHW-4 for me) However, the only difference is the cement one would need duplicate puzzle pieces, because the other textures are all asphalt based.
There's a part of me that really likes this idea... for instance poorly maintained roads (or roads with dark colored asphalt patches to fill in cracks and potholes - would have to be used sparingly to not look bad) in undeveloped or low wealth areas?  Darker dark patches in medium wealth zones than others?  I'd love it if you could make the dark patches darker in high traffic areas but as far as I know that wouldn't be possible.

SamJam

Quote from: Tarkus on August 04, 2008, 10:26:27 AM
And regarding the right lane vs. left lane ending deal on the RHW-6C-to-4 transition, I've seen it both ways, and there's a certain logic to each one.  From a functional standpoint, I don't really see any point in making two separate pieces, but I have an idea for allowing one to choose one option or the other . . . ;)

Thanks for the response Tarkus. You're right, there are some logical instances where a left lane would end (such as an entrance/acceleration ramp from a bypassed roadway merging from the left, off the top of my head) so I was never completely opposed to it... but an option for having one or the other would be phenomenal!  ;D

SamJam

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 04, 2008, 11:48:02 AM
I've found that concrete, around here anyway, is primarily used in urban areas only (especially elevated/sunken highways), and rural highways are almost always asphalt.

Concrete is stronger than asphalt so a lot of heavily used roads will be concrete. A couple of times that I drove in the States I noticed that pretty much every freeway was made of concrete, presumably because it would require less maintenance for a lot of usage. I think that's where Maxis based the idea of grey highways and black roads.

I live in southern Ontario and the frost heave in spring obliterates a concrete road over time, so our roads (incl. freeways) are almost exclusively asphalt because it expands and contracts more easily. It's more expensive these days, but it lasts through more seasons so repair costs are still kept down. The only concrete freeways that come to mind are the 407 and 115, but the 407 is tolled (therefore no repair expense to the government) and the 115 is slowly being replaced with sections of asphalt with each major repair. Frankly I prefer driving on asphalt anyway because it absorbs sound better so you have a quieter drive. Windsor, ON uses a lot of concrete but it's also a more southerly city and so temperatures could be as much as 2 or 3 degrees warmer in winter/spring. Maybe every degree helps.

videosean brought up a good point about having varying colours depending on traffic but as he said that may not be possible. Then again it wouldn't make much sense for a roadway to be completely replaced with a different type of pavement when its usage shrinks.

I think it's a great debate. LOL

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: SamJamConcrete is stronger than asphalt so a lot of heavily used roads will be concrete. A couple of times that I drove in the States I noticed that pretty much every freeway was made of concrete, presumably because it would require less maintenance for a lot of usage. I think that's where Maxis based the idea of grey highways and black roads.

Well I live in Hampton, Virginia, and most of the highways around here have been replaced with asphalt over the past decade, and the ones that haven't have been replaced with this newer white grooved asphalt.
I agree that asphalt gives a quieter drive. There's one bridge here that I have to cross 4 times a week that was built around 1960 and still has the original concrete, and you just have to give up even listening to the radio on it, while the newer bridge-tunnels built in the 90s have smooth asphalt paving that doesn't make a sound.

videosean

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on August 04, 2008, 08:21:52 AM

I played around a little with the curve theory(??) on this... if you allow for 4x4 tile set (maybe 3 high and 4 wide) on the curve definitely smoother but then it would have to be a puzzle piece, right?  I did kind of choose a 1024 diameter circle at random (no math involved at least) the grid is 128x128... just thinking out loud... the second image shows attempt at a 2x2 tileset curve with the grey shape :/

Tarkus

Back with more progress . . . the transition is pathed and functional.

Traffic is using all three lanes, as shown here.  The traffic simulator, by and large, seems to recognize that it has extra width on the RHW it can take advantage of . . . it's even more pronounced on the RHW-8 (which I'll show sometime soon).

Regarding j-dub's concept with using wealth-levels to change textures, it's an interesting idea, and one that had crossed my mind awhile ago, too.  However, I think it would ultimately end up being too difficult to control, and it would be especially limited when it comes to the Wider RHWs, and particularly on the various puzzle pieces.  I do, however, think that it might have a use in a situation where the texture changes were less drastic . . . instead of different surface types, I could see that perhaps it would have value on the RHW-2, for switching between dashed lines and solid lines, for instance.

I'll be back with more stuff here soon.  Thanks for all the continued feedback!

-Alex (Tarkus)

j-dub

Well if the RHW 2 has a switch between lines, roads then roads should also have the switch between dashed and double yellow lines, personally.

Shadow Assassin

J-dub: there is a mod somewhere that does just what you're asking... I don't know where it is personally, but maybe look around on ST?

I'm not sure what it's called off the top of my head, but it's something along the lines of 'Yellow Dashed Lines' or somesuch.
New Horizons Productions

deathtopumpkins

Shadow Assassin: If you're talking about what I think you are, it's no longer available on any exchange.

Tarkus

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on August 04, 2008, 07:30:09 PM
J-dub: there is a mod somewhere that does just what you're asking... I don't know where it is personally, but maybe look around on ST?

I'm not sure what it's called off the top of my head, but it's something along the lines of 'Yellow Dashed Lines' or somesuch.

The mod you're referring to was made by Teirusu (the pioneer of Network Override technology).  It was formerly attached to the old NAM Cosmetic thread over at ST, but due to the forum upgrades there, it was lost.  I do have the file myself, and it does exactly that . . . in fact, that's where I got the idea for the RHW-2 modification.

-Alex (Tarkus)

pagenotfound

Stop torturing us! its looks really good!  &apls &apls
Im back baby! Everybody do the Bendah!

Shadow Assassin

QuoteI do have the file myself, and it does exactly that . . . in fact, that's where I got the idea for the RHW-2 modification.

Actually, come to think of it: I was considering tinkering with the RULs to allow the addition of a single-sided passing line [double line: one is dashed, the other is solid]... the experiments I did with that actually were quite successful. :)
New Horizons Productions

M4346

I hate to be a pain... but SA can you perhaps give me a status report on the Euro textures for RHW-2? :)
New Horizons Productions