• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Wes.Janson Lot Projects

Started by wes.janson, September 01, 2008, 02:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thingfishs

looks really nice, you've outfitted it tastefully. For personal use though I think it's a bit large and I would prefer to see the road & car park transit enabled. (I am assuming that they're not, still figuring a lot of this stuff out myself)

wes.janson

Quote from: thingfishs on December 02, 2009, 07:02:12 PM
looks really nice, you've outfitted it tastefully. For personal use though I think it's a bit large and I would prefer to see the road & car park transit enabled. (I am assuming that they're not, still figuring a lot of this stuff out myself)

Personally I was going for the size. It's a sort of grand plaza/seat of government look. Now that you mention it, transit enabling (Or networking enabling it), would probably give it a better look. It would mean a tweak of the prop placement and textures, but that shouldn't be too difficult. I'll see what I can do about it.

On another note. Another civic building I wanted to replace was the Mayor's House. Personally I want my mayor living in opulence and splendor, and not like some common sim. What's the point of being an elected official, if you can't take advantage of the perks.

Front Shot:

Back Shot:

Night Shot:

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

thingfishs

That's a great looking mayor's house  :thumbsup: I there's still some tweaking to be done but it looks classy, as it should. (How can it not with two such flash cars parked out the front, nice touch)
I love those trees with the red flowers
, what are they?

I don't know about the backyard though, looks a bit more working/middle class than opulent to me. Also maybe varying the textures for the paths a bit. I would suggest reformatting slightly, getting rid of that backyard stuff, and putting in a pool. As you say, opulence & splendour.

wes.janson

Quote from: thingfishs on December 03, 2009, 02:48:04 PM
I love those trees with the red flowers, what are they?

Those are a mixture of the seasonal cherry and seasonal plum trees located in CP Prop Pack 2009a

You have a good point on the backyard. I was thinking pool in the first place, but I couldn't find one that seemed to go with the rest of the lot. I've been considering some sort of well groomed flower walk as a possibilty.

I tried out network enabling my city hall lot. I had to change the textures around to make it work and look decent, but I think I like it a lot more now.

wes.janson

A set of Stage 1 low income lots I'm putting together. They vary from 1x1, 1x2, and 2x1 lots

RippleJet

There's always a need for more stage 1 R§... :)
Btw, are you using SC4PIM now?

thingfishs

Yep, extra residentials are always appreciated. As I said somewhere else, I think the road helps (the previous LOT). And seeing it in it's natural setting has for me made a huge improvement to the LOT (it's always good to see a creation as it will be used) Not to mention the impact of the seasonal trees.
As for the mayor's house (which is my favourite) I think a flower walk could work, just something classier than what's there.

wes.janson

Quote from: RippleJet on December 06, 2009, 02:46:22 PM
There's always a need for more stage 1 R§... :)
Btw, are you using SC4PIM now?

For my civic buildings.. yes.
The trailer homes at the moment are using the stage 1 building from c.p.'s 19th century residentials along with a prop family of SG's trailers. It was just a quick/dirty mock-up to see how they would look. I do plan on making a building family in SC4PIM with the the trailers. It's just a matter of trying to guess the right filling degree. Smaller models make it difficult, at least in my opinion. So, as of now, the lots with 2 trailers house 8 sims whereas I modified the building exempler of the lots with 1 trailer to have 4 sims.

Quote from: thingfishs on December 06, 2009, 03:27:45 PM
Yep, extra residentials are always appreciated. As I said somewhere else, I think the road helps (the previous LOT). And seeing it in it's natural setting has for me made a huge improvement to the LOT (it's always good to see a creation as it will be used) Not to mention the impact of the seasonal trees.
As for the mayor's house (which is my favourite) I think a flower walk could work, just something classier than what's there.

Thanks... your suggestion on network enabling the lot improves by far imho and I still agree with you on the mayor's house. I've been trolling through some off the D66 and MJB prop packs for something appropriate to go with the textures. If I could get the duplicate overlays to work, I am pretty sure I can come up with something. For some reason the duplicate overlays in LE_X still mess up whenever I plop something. I don't know if there is a trick to adding duplicate overlays (I couldn't find anything the user's guide about it), but if I figure it out, then I should be able to improve on the previous attempt.

Below is a library using another one of JBSimio's amazing Clayhurts University buildings. It's nowhere near finished with adding/placing of props and I intend to change the parking lot textures to match those shown on my City Hall lot. I'll probably get rid of the Peg's christmas lights as well because I'm not too happy with the way they light up at night. I must admit that I am rather happy with the way the fences look (Minus the lights of course)

wes.janson

A few months lapse here, but here is something I worked on whilst watching the Olympic opening ceremonies. Not really a 'Lot', but I didn't feel like starting a new topic just to show this.

I've been wanting to work on transit textures for awhile now, and David's work at 3RR inspired me to take a stab at it. I downloaded the extremely useful starter set that Diggis uploaded to the LEX for the making of SAM textures and went to work.

I had a lot more done, but once I had got them in game.. they didn't look quite so good. The above are all I have altered so far, but thanks to my obsession with using layers and always having a back-up .pspimage of each texture I don't have to start from scratch.

joelyboy911

They look really nice. What sort of road surface would you call that? Chipseal, perhaps?

Did you think of making cul-de-sac ends on those, perhaps in the higher wealths?

Anyway, it looks amazing, keep it up!
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

wes.janson

Just a quick question.. Is there a tutorial on how to put HD textures into the game. Do I just use the EA Graphics Editor and export the 256x256 images as a .fsh? Or is there other steps?

EDIT:

Here is the texture in question:

wes.janson

wes.janson

So I've finished the SAM textures and sent them to Diggis. Hopefully they might get added into the next SAM update.

Lotting has taken a back bench as I'm in texture mode. One thing I dislike is that the GLR sidewalk texture doesn't fit alongside the one I use, so I am going to attempt to do a re-texturing of the GLR. It might be tedious, but next week I shall be sitting in the middle of nowhere Saskatchewan and frankly will have a lot of time on my hands.

Here is the 4 textures that I have completed so far.

madhatter106

Hi Wes Janson,

Imagine my surprise when I stumbled across your thread, to see all the great lotting you did with my little commercial BATs!  Truly impressive - I'm not much of a lotter and usually by the time I've BATted, textured, lit, and rendered, I'm sort of sick of the BAT itself...so by the time I open the Lot Editor, it's usually extremely basic lotting (usually with no dependencies) before the final tests.  Lot styles are a personal choice anyways, and I'm always happy to see people take my BATs and make the lots their own...

Hope you're back to more great lotting and posting soon :)
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far." - H.P. Lovecraft

"Never keep up with the Joneses - drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

"Ordinary morality is for ordinary people." - Aleister Crowley