• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Wes.Janson Lot Projects

Started by wes.janson, September 01, 2008, 02:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wes.janson

After reading page after page of various lot projects I seriously decided to sit down and do something in Lot Editor that didn't involve making a park or plaza. And once I started fooling around with pedmall t21''s (Thanks to Andreas for his help!), I decided to attempt some lotting of various small commercial buildings to achieve, for lack of a better term, small suburban plaza malls.

Bear in mind that in most of my cities I use both the SFBT Street Tree Mod and SithLord98's Sidewalk Mod almost religiously and therefore am trying to create my lots in regards to that.

Here is one picture of two of JMyers small town shops (Cheap Beer and Fish N Chips):

The same shops with my altered Pedmall Tiles (They were quick mock-ups to see if I could achieve what I wanted.. they are by no means complete) I have also left the DrawPaths cheat on

Any tips, suggestions, or criticisms are greatly appreciated.

Tyerel (Wes.Janson)

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

wes.janson

hmmmm...

I've been working on relotting JBSimio's Brownstones and, being somewhat new to relotting, I have come across something that I can't seem to work around.

The arrow shows the seperation between the alley lot and the brownstones. Both grass textures are the exact same, and yet they show up different. Does this have something to do with the fact that the brownstones are low-wealth and thus reverting to a low wealth texture? If that's the case.. would there be a fix using the reader where I can keep the low wealth residents and not have the texture boo boo?

Any help would be appreciated

Tyerel (wes.janson)

Andreas

Some textures are wealth-dependent, this means they will look different on a low wealth lot, compared to a medium or high wealth lot. Have a look at the IDs in the Lot Editor; the fifth digit indicates the wealth - so if it's either a 1, 2 or 3, the textures will represent the wealth level of the lot.
Andreas

wes.janson

That makes sense... I usually use the 25273000 grass texture; so there is my problem.

Thanks Andreas!

Tyerel (wes.janson)

Pat

Tyerel those lots are looking real good there!!! Any more progress at all?

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Simpson

My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

wes.janson

Thanks for the comments everyone. I know it's been awhile, but work and being a single dad to a three year old tend to take up any serious LE time.

Recently, I've downloaded most of MadHatter106's work from the STEX and am using them in my overall attempt to get rid of the game's CS$1 lots.

This is not a final attempt, but more of an attempt to see if the concept works.

Ideas and criticism are most welcomed.

Pat

Tyerel WOW!!! So what essential you have done is create a block of his lots instead of individual lots... I like it a lot and a question is it growable and how many jobs all to gether?

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

wes.janson

Thanks Pat.

To answer your question.

Actually, they are just various 1x2 CS$1 lots that way I can have variable width zones, yet still maintain the 'alley look' Though your idea is a good one and I'll take a look into it. Each building supplies about 7-9 low wealth jobs. I thought that was a reasonable number as most small stores don't have the ability to have many staff (especially in this economy!).

I hope to use these with the BSC No Maxis Mod in an attempt to force them to grow (Or just use the lotplop cheat). I don't like cluttering up my landmark menu with ploppables. My park menu already takes forever to load with all the things I've added (though the new RAM I am buying this weekend might help with that)

If I can get the time I plan on adding JMyers' Small shops, most of Spa's work, and JBSimio's Small Town Usa buildings into it, as well as a few of DK1's bats from the STEX. I figure that as long as I maintain 1x2 commerical zones, and make the occasional lot historical,  I can get these to grow in the places that I want. This way I can cut down on my dependancy files. I think I've only used CP Mega Props, SG Mega Props, and JES Mega Props 01 for props and Brians wonderful texture pack for my textures.

Bigger bats I will put on 1x3 lots (Like Goofyguytpa low wealth lots and Simgoobers W2W pack). I hope to have all low/medium density w2w type bats to have a similar style (I'm a little OCD in my anal rententiveness).

After I am done with that I want to work on the residential side. I have already started a few relots of Brian small greek victorians. I'll put some pics up later tonight of those  and see if anyone has any feedback.

jacqulina

wes.janson

I've done a bit of premlinary lotting on my 1x2 residentals using cycledoggs small houses. The plan is, by utilizing different lot sizes, to have these grow behind the commercial lots.

The front

The back

All together now

Once again, praise is encouraged  ;D, but criticism is ALWAYS welcome. Lotting is a lot like chess, you can't get better until someone better than you forces you to think those extra moves.

WC_EEND

first of all, what's a bront? :D

secondly, why is there a tree growing out of the second house in the last picture? :D

Now seriously, you did a great job on lotting those houses &apls
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

wes.janson

first of all, what's a bront? :D

Shh... I have no idea what you're talking about  ;)

secondly, why is there a tree growing out of the second house in the last picture? :D

Why.. umm.. it's a green roof. Yeah.. that's it!

Now seriously, you did a great job on lotting those houses &apls

Thanks!

Gringamuyloca

Sweet!  :thumbsup: .... and did I hear the word ...'grow'  &bis&

I can see those in my small town!

thanks
Tamara

wes.janson

I've re-worked the residentials. And played a few high speed sandbox months and this what I got

Now this is pretty much what I was going for. I do get the occasional texture glitch from having duplicated overlays. I'd always assumed that if you covered up one overlay with another then they would stay that way, unforunately the paths heading to the alley occasionally sit on above the concrete overlay. Anyone know another way around this?

joelyboy911

You could extract the overlay textures and make a single new one to use by combining them in photoshop?

I nearly forgot to say, these are excellent. ;D
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

wes.janson

Joelyboy911: Thanks! I ended up figuring out a way to stop it from happening.. just took a bit of hunting through all cycledoggs overlays.

I've noticed that Maxis supplies stage one high wealth, but not a lot of custom bats/lots do that; so I thought I'd give it a go with some of Simgoobers houses.

These aren't final.. just a quick whip-up of when I decided to use his buidlings to see how it would look.

joelyboy911

They're very nice, but to me they look more like medium wealth for some reason. I think it might be the grass, I feel it might be a little brown. The pool is a nice touch, and I like the fact that there are lots of trees.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

wes.janson

joelyboy911:
I took your suggestion and tried out a greener grass texture. I am sort of going for the look of the upper middle-class/lower upper-class hertiage area of Queens Park in New Westminster BC that my over priced rental apartment is located in.

Each building is part of a building family of the 4 different colour versions, therefore the colour scheme will change with each lot grown. I am planning on doing about 3-4 different lots per family.
Here are the shots:

Simgoobers - Ashley River

Simgoobers - Rachael Anne

Simgoobers - Country Homes

Here is a shot of a few of the previously shown lots (I already posted this in the Show us your custom lots thread) which, with the of the BSC No Maxis Mod, were all successfully grown exactly how I'd hoped.