• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The University of Clayhurst

Started by JBSimio, February 17, 2009, 05:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shermankim777

Quote from: SC4BOY on October 31, 2009, 03:59:50 PM
I'm puzzled by this as there is no place to put a wide path corner that I see.. perhaps you're seing something I'm not.. also recall that these are "BSC Park compatible" .. so feel free to add any of those lots (including a kagillion path pieces)..
i dont understand what ur saying

SC4BOY

I'm saying that if you use the lots in the package, there is no place to put a "corner wide path" if I understand what you're saying.. maybe a picture would help. The BSC parks (downloadable from the LEX) use a texture set (just as are used in this package) which will match these. If you use those park pieces, among which are included path pieces, you can mix and match them with these to make a HUGE variety of "campus" scenerios.

westamastaflash

I just discovered this! Never gonna use the Maxis University again!

tamorr

This is a good work on the Business Section, and I'd have to agree that the roof texture is a bit plain look... maybe some gradient darker splotches to create variance would help.  Are the classrooms even lit? If they are, then maybe a bit too dim like someone else said, as the central area I see as just fine for lighting. I'm not saying the classrooms should be as bright as the courtyard area, but only saying a tad bit more intensity I think is the term, not a whole lot. Looking good so far though. :)

Anyways, keep up the great work. :thumbsup:
  "It is wiser to think about your actions before doing them, but be warned One must act quickly before another takes action for you."
  "Knowledge may be Power, but it is how you use that Knowledge that makes One Powerful."
  "I am a Philosopher, Punnist, Poet, and Rambler so keep in mind I think ahead and backwards to point where communication is sometimes not completely understood, even if Enlish is my primary language, it doesn't mean I know it well N proper."
  "Always do your best to acheive your goals and Dreams one at a time."
"Patience is a virtue."

SimNation

I must say Bravo to you JBSimo for all of your work thus far on making sc4 have very realistic looking schools. Your schools and college's have made making realistic neighborhoods all the more fun. This latest one for your University looks quite nice I hope you continue the university project til ya feel bored of it  :P

PrestonCo

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I had to come out of the woodwork for this one....

JBSimio, this is really an awesome project. The game really needed it and you're going an unbelievable job. THANK YOU! Props to the support team, as well.

If I could offer some feeble ideas for some of the future expansion packs....

- Athletic facilities: Namely a football stadium and basketball arena. Kind of a big project, but so is creating an entire university from scratch so...Anyway, it wouldn't have to be a huge stadium like Michigan, Tennessee and the like....just a smaller on campus stadium. A basketball arena like Cameron Indoor Arena (Duke) would be amazing, too.

- Fraternity, sorority houses: Would definitely give a college feel, for better or worse.
- Presidents house
- A creative arts center: I'm using my own university's terminology here...basically, a large theater for plays, performances, etc and several art galleries
-Other than that, just more eye candy filler buildings...classrooms and libraries and such....especially in the older, more traditional style. Like the original release.

Once again, fantastic job with this. What you (and your team) has done so far is amazing!

JBSimio

Gottago:  Thank you!  I will definitely touch up the roof some more and the courtyard lighting has already been adjusted.

Adroman:  Thanks!  I'll try to keep on track with the expansions so the wait isn't as long as this one was!  ;)

Bobbi:  Thank you!  I can promise at least three expansion packs to come... and that's just what I have planned right now so far.

Earthquake:  Thank you!

Benvoliothefirst:  Thanks!  The courtyard lights were an adjustment I knew about before even posting these pictures.  I simply ran out of time to wait for new preview renders.  ;)

Shermankim:  Thank you!  For some reason, I never even thought of a corner piece for the wides paths.  Thank you for pointing that out... I will definitely add it to the list!   :thumbsup:

Kimcar:  It's hard for me to believe how long I've been on this project too... :D

Dragonshardz:  Thank you!  Are these the DAMN menus that Freedo had done a few months back?  (I confess I haven't even looked at them yet, sorry)

Jack:  Thank you!  A little pooling on the roof probably wouldn't hurt, although I want to keep a mostly "newer construction" look about the place so it should stay fairly subtle.  Signing for most campus buildings is actually done with little blue signs.  (You'll see them on every building lot in the game if you look closely)  I thought about doing a couple "holiday" lots with different timed props... or maybe a student protest stage, etc etc etc.  Lots of ideas and not as muc time as I'd like to have.  ;)

SC4Boy & Shermankim:  Talk amongst yourselves... I don't want to interrupt, but merely point out that I'm not ignoring you either.  ;)

Westamastaflash:  Glad you like it!

Tamorr:  Thanks!  The classrooms are lit, but becuase the windows are all set so deep and many beneath overhangs, there really isn't as much to see from the SC4 angle.  The use of Gizmo's night mod also makes a big difference in how well the lighting will show up.

SimNation:  Thank you!  My list is too long for me to get bored... :D

PrestonCo:  Thank you and welcome to the world of posting!  ;)  Suggestions are always most welcome.  Athletic facilities... without saying too much, I will tell you that EP2 will certainly include some (I currently have three planned... maybe even started).  I've thought about a Greek row off and on several times and am mostly still arguing with myself about the best approach to the idea.  A president's house and several other ideas have also been in my mind for a set of "alumni gifts."  I originally did have a School of Performing Arts building scheduled for this first expansion pack.  Unfortuanately, the model became corrupted and my backup copy was on the computer that died near the same time.  Rather than starting it over, I opted for this Business School instead.  I will come back to the other one at some point though.

I don't actually have anything new to show tonight.  Covington has taken up a bit of my time lately and I have groups arriving in camp tomorrow which will keep me busy the rest of the week.  I mostly wanted to catch up on replies before I got too far behind.

Since several people got the ball rolling already, I also wanted to take this opportunity to encourage any additional ideas you may have.  Now that the first set is out there for everyone to use, please let me know what kind of pieces you think might be missing.  I'm particularly interested in hearing about missing path pieces or additional quad arrangements, other "non-building" campus lots and things of that nature.  Of course, I'm willing to hear any suggestions, but those are the ones that are going to be hard for me to guess at.  Thanks again for all the support with this project!

Til next time...
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

dragonshardz

Actually, no, they're DAMN menus I created myself using the SSPTool. Did Freedo create a menu set for UoC already? I must've missed it.

Diggis

Quote from: dragonshardz on November 04, 2009, 05:44:03 AM
Actually, no, they're DAMN menus I created myself using the SSPTool. Did Freedo create a menu set for UoC already? I must've missed it.

He was working on them in August, not sure if he ended up releasing them, last I remember they were in testing.

tamorr

Have you ever though of making a special building for the Basics, as in one for those that haven't passed certain courses in High school. I know Delta Colege has something to this effect. Of course it has been a long time since I've been there and fogotten how they divided up the place.

I was thinking a big building for all the basic classes like Math 101, English 2b, etc... the low level classes that are requirements for the much more specific courses that also have designated areas.
   Maybe also a building for the Fine Arts of Cooking can be another idea, which would be courses from basic cooking to the level of Hell's Kitchen. After all I know some do have a quadrent specific to such in some places.
   Also maybe a Language department, One that teaches many of the languages out there including some language course from Latin, Hebrew, and Japanese/Chinese based languages...
   This is all I can think of at the moment as I believe you already mentioned one for a computer technology department & Engineering one as well.... :)
  "It is wiser to think about your actions before doing them, but be warned One must act quickly before another takes action for you."
  "Knowledge may be Power, but it is how you use that Knowledge that makes One Powerful."
  "I am a Philosopher, Punnist, Poet, and Rambler so keep in mind I think ahead and backwards to point where communication is sometimes not completely understood, even if Enlish is my primary language, it doesn't mean I know it well N proper."
  "Always do your best to acheive your goals and Dreams one at a time."
"Patience is a virtue."

will62russ

JBSimio.  What you have acheived here is extraordinary.  How many more platitudes can I use that has not already been stated by your other fans.   I believe this work places you in a "class" by yourself.   I can only imagine the amount of time it took for you to complete these works of art.   Selfishly, I will say it was time well spent.

Previously, you had requested feedback of ideas that could be included in your expansion pack(s).  I hope that the request is still open for I have a few which may, or may not, have been mentioned already:   university stadium (something bowl-shaped which were quite common in the early 1900s); on-campus basketball arena/gym (nothing too large); an university bookstore; student union that houses cafes, lounge areas, large meeting areas, arcades, etc.; and most of your classical campuses always seems to have that one center peice that can be seen from a distance,such as a clock tower.

woodb3kmaster

Let me echo will62russ's suggestions (especially the clock tower idea), although I'm sure most of them are already on your to-do list for the U of C. As I recall, though, the starter pack that you recently released on the LEX contains a student center with a gym, but perhaps Will had an indoor arena in mind - something like my alma mater's famous Pauley Pavilion, except better-looking :D One thing I'll point out is that you could potentially combine the student union and bookstore, as is the case at such campuses as my alma mater. Whatever you end up making, you'll definitely have my support, as your work is top-notch!

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Tilarium

Quote from: tamorr on November 04, 2009, 01:23:09 PM
   Have you ever though of making a special building for the Basics, as in one for those that haven't passed certain courses in High school. I know Delta Colege has something to this effect. Of course it has been a long time since I've been there and fogotten how they divided up the place.

I was thinking a big building for all the basic classes like Math 101, English 2b, etc... the low level classes that are requirements for the much more specific courses that also have designated areas.
   Maybe also a building for the Fine Arts of Cooking can be another idea, which would be courses from basic cooking to the level of Hell's Kitchen. After all I know some do have a quadrent specific to such in some places.
   Also maybe a Language department, One that teaches many of the languages out there including some language course from Latin, Hebrew, and Japanese/Chinese based languages...
   This is all I can think of at the moment as I believe you already mentioned one for a computer technology department & Engineering one as well.... :)

I like this idea.  Maybe even go so far as to make it act like a highschool with a large radius?

Jack_wilds

Quote from: tamorr on November 04, 2009, 01:23:09 PM

Sounds more like a Technical College... $%#Ninj2 as in WIS there is the UW-system and the TECH-system,

I went via the TECH-way now have 4-associates, several certifications, and two TECH-diplomas... but what do I have to show but pieces of paper, debt and an unexpected drawn out job search BUT it was all good got to serve with FVTC-SGA, Editor to the Campus paper for few semesters.  FVTC has a nationally rated police academy, culinary arts program, KUKA automation labs, an international program with Japan, Latin America, and a couple of African countries, plus a lot more programs... the student body is around 8000 now having broke several enrollment records this passed year.

I really like this campus JB, as I have made a few incarnations of it... recon the Sims are wondering 'what the..!' as its torn down and rebuilt, several times...  ::)  The business center is good as far as I can see... hope to be plopping this in for yet another campus redo...

Jack  :satisfied:

Jack

dragonshardz

Looks like it's a good thing I plopped the uni in a relatively unpopulated area. It'll have plenty of room to expand.

Can't wait for the first add-on pack to be released.

calibanX

Wow JB! Thank you for releasing this onto the LEX. I'm excited to get to work.

Take care.

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

TWAK

thanks for putting this on the LEX, I have seen it used in cities and wanted it.  I'm at a loss though, I can't find the pathways/parking things at all. what menu are they under?

adroman

I believe they are at the very bottom of the Landmarks Menu...
737s, Air Force, Australia... what next?

JBSimio

Tamorr:  Thank you for the ideas!  The three classroom buildings in the starter pack are what I would consider general education buildings for the basics as you've described.  That being said, I will probably make a few more buildings (more modern styles for variety) which are modded the same way to increase the capacity for the basic required courses.  I'll get to your other ideas in a moment.  ;)

Will62russ:  Thank you!  The athletic facilities you've mentioned are already in the works for EP2... I don't want to give away the specifics just yet, but there will be definitely be three (maybe more?) sports venues.  A student union is included in the starter pack, although again, I may make an alternate at some point with a more modern look.  I like the idea of some more public areas and will certainly keep that in mind.  I hadn't thought specifically of a clock tower... mostly because Olson Academic Center has one... but I may find a way to work something like that in.

Zack:  Since I've covered most of what you said, I'll just say thank you!  :D

Tilarium:  I'm hadn't thought of modding any Clayhurst buildings as high schools, although the idea has some merit.  There are many community colleges which offer advanced level courses to high school students to give them a "jump start" on college levels... so it makes sense.  Hmm... it may boil down to the modding... I'll have to look into it.

Jack:  Thank you!  Try not to confuse the freshman class too much, will you?  :D

Dragonshardz:  Yes... depending on how big you want to go, this could take up a lot of space.  The beauty is that you can use as much or as little as you want to.

Geoff:  Glad to help!  (I kept telling you it would get there eventually... ;))

Twak:  As Adroman said, the path and driveways (along with the quad lots) are indeed located in the landmark menu.  I could have sworn I put that in the readme, but it looks as though I missed it.  My apologies for the confusion.

Once again, I must apologize that I haven't been adding to this thread lately.  Things have been busy and I just can't seem to stay in "University mode" for long when I do have the time.  This is actually strange because I have a lot of ideas that I find myself itching to get started on, but then as soon as I sit down to do so, the motivation quickly fades.   &mmm  Anyway... I have a lot more free time starting tomorrow and I honestly hope to get some things done and show them here soon.

In the meantime, what with all the different suggestions and ideas coming out, I want to take a moment to explain (just a little) about how these different classroom buildings are modded.  This is actually what determines which specific courses (degree majors?) I decide to do.  First off, all three classroom buildings in the starter are modded in ways similar to the Maxis university... they provide upper level education along with other city benefits... and are essentially what I would call "general education."  In reality, the game doesn't actually give me any options to be any more specific than that.  So what makes the Swan Centre a business school... or the DeBussy building a school of engineering... Matthew Edgren Law School?  In these three cases, it will be relief caps.  The business school will increase CO$$ and CO$$$ demand more than usual.  The engineering school will give a higher than normal boost to I-HT.  The law school will do whatever the Maxis bureau of bureaucracy does (or something... I haven't actually worked that one out yet).  A future school of medicine will also serve as a hospital, the future fine arts building may give benefits similar to those given by the Maxis opera house...etc etc etc.  The point of all this is that, while I'm not against the idea of a culinary school or a language center, I'm not sure what kind of additional benefits they would provide the city from the modding standpoint.  In reality, I could make a bunch of general education buildings and you can call them whatever you want them to be.  Depending on how far this goes, there could be classrooms like culinary or languages that serve to trigger a specific reward building not directly related to the university.  Perhaps someone else would want to make an uber-impressive embassy building and then mod it as a reward which can only be unlocked if the language center is in place?  Just thinking aloud on that one...

I'll try to be back soon with some progress... two long posts without pictures is just not right!  ;)

JB

PS... University of Clayhurst passed 1000 downloads from the LEX sometime today.  Thanks everyone!!! :thumbsup:

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

Scarton

Haven't posted in here lately, but I have been keeping an eye on the progress. About modding for the Matthew Edgren Law School, how about it reduces crime, and acts like... perhaps the police kiosk? A suggestion. And thanks for producing this project.

EDIT: Got some more ideas. The language center could help boost tourism, and the culinary arts could
QuoteDepending on how far this goes, there could be classrooms like culinary or languages that serve to trigger a specific reward building not directly related to the university.  Perhaps someone else would want to make an uber-impressive embassy building and then mod it as a reward which can only be unlocked if the language center is in place?  Just thinking aloud on that one...
act as the reward trigger.