• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The University of Clayhurst

Started by JBSimio, February 17, 2009, 05:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tag_one

Wow, your batting two beautiful buildings at the same time! What kind of evil batting machine are you  :o

Bluemoose

This really needs to be released on the LEX!!!!

M4346

You really need to get a copy of the DVD!!!
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

BigSlark

Quote from: M4346 on August 05, 2009, 12:22:31 PM
You really need to get a copy of the DVD!!!

I must second Marius...

The bandwidth we use for SC4D certainly isn't free and this DVD helps offset Jeroni's massive costs to keep our favorite website up and running.

Cheers,
Kevin

M4346

Not only that, my suggestion was actually based more on the fact that the DVD is incredibly handy, and makes the installation and management of your plugins (through a nifty little LEXplorer) very easy.

I really love my copy of the DVD, everything I need on a single disc, ready and friendly to use.

I'm a South African student and I scraped together just over ZAR350 to get it, but it was definitely worth it!
New Horizons Productions

BigSlark

Quote from: M4346 on August 05, 2009, 02:21:25 PM
...and makes the installation and management of your plugins (through a nifty little LEXplorer) very easy.

Plugin management?! What's that?! I'm a professional scrutineer...we don't need no stinkin' plugin management.  :D

Cheers,
Kevin

darraghf

This is amazing. I'll be sure to download these spectacular bats!
Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

dragonshardz

*waits patiently for the University to hit the LEX*

Pat

Dont wanna do that too long there Shardz's you might turn blue lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dragonshardz

I never said I was holding my breath, just being patient XD.

JBSimio

Well now, it's been a while here again, hasn't it?   &ops

Jack:  The sunken courtyard may seem to be a theme on campus, but it also tends to disappear from the final versions of many buildings.  :D  I'm not sure what kind of plantings will end up in this particular courtyard, but it shouldn't be too much longer before we find out.

Pat:  Thank you!  I'm glad you finally got your DVD even if it was a few months ago now!  :D  I hope you've been enjoying all the fun little toys that came with it!

Merijn:  Apparently a very inefficient evil batting machine given how long it's been since I had an update here!  ;)

Bluemoose:  I know!!!  What in the world is going on around this place?!?

M:  You're absolutely right!!!  (Nice to see you around again, by the way)

Kevin:  I spend enough time trying to manage the monkeys in the basement... I don't have time for plugin management either.  :D

Darraghf:  Thank you!

Dragonshardz:  We here at JBSimio, Inc sincerely appreciate your patience.

Pat:  Blue dragons!  Yikes!!!   ()lurker()

Dragonshardz:  Glad to hear that, because while we do sincerely appreciate your patience, we also cannot be responsible for any adverse medical conditions which may occur as a result of this thread.  I'm sure you understand...  ;)

Alright... so I've been sidetracked, derailed, and otherwise very occupied this summer as I'm sure most of you have figured out by now.  But most of you dear regulars know that this is just how summer goes for me, so thank you as always for bearing with me.  We should be getting back into the swing of things here very shortly.

The big question that seems to keep coming up is "When will this hit the LEX?  (I mean, come on, it's been more than two years for cryin out loud!  What the oomph is Jon's deal anyway?)"  There are two fairly common answers to this question and I think both of them apply quite well here.  "When it's ready."  and  "Release is imminent."  ;)

In the meantime, I have done some more work on the Swan Centre for Business Studies, but I don't have a picture to show at the moment.  (This may or may not be because I'm currently at work.)  As far as Expansion Pack 1 goes, here is the remaining to do list:

Functional Classroom Buildings

• Matthew Edgren Law School - modeled, lotted, awaiting final modding
  • DeBussy School of Engineering and Design - modeled, lotted, awaiting final modding
  • Swan Centre for Business Studies - 80% modeled

Dormitory Buildings

• Payce Rooker Hall - modeled, lotted, awaiting final modding
  • Stropon Hall - modeled, lotted, awaiting final modding
  • Diggis Hall - modeled, lotted, awaiting final modding
  • Tage Towers - modeled and waiting to be exported (final render)
  • Winterton Hall - 90% modeled

Additional Support Buildings

• Campus Security - modeled, lotted, awaiting final modding
  • Campus Fire Station - modeled, lotted, awaiting final modding
  • University Commuter Station - hasn't been started yet
  • Alternative Library - (possibly specific to the law school, not sure though) hasn't been started yet

That should really cover the next pack unless anyone has some suggestions which they feel I may have missed.  (Bear in mind that there are at least two additional packs planned, so there may be things which I've already thought of but won't be putting in this particular pack... feel free to ask away, though!)  In all honesty, even with three things not even under construction yet, there shouldn't be all that much work to do before this one is ready to go.  Two of those three lots will be quite small and easy to make... the modding will probably take the longest.

Anyway, that's where things stand at the moment.  I should have something to show in the next several days again.

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

Jack_wilds

Hello JBSimio, Jack wilds here...

Its awesome to hear from someone finally... been rather quiet of late as in a library silent  :D -opps did I laugh too loud  :D ::)
As for wish list request I'm asking for an engineering department (civil, enviromental, mechanical, design, architecture, the like) to be added on campus, as you know sim cities are in serious need of good compitent engineers that can support a shovel on a street project near you.  ;D

As I did when I had a decent job  &mmm

...and now its a loong wait for 'obama's stimiulus' to finally hit the pavement here...politics! its for the birds, long on promising talk -never answering your questions... short on action.

off topic: I also have a question, if you don't know perhaps some one else will... its 'writing' here and in  the yahoo 'write-compose', the cursor jumps. It jumps mid word, mid statement, thoughts scrambled its very annoying upsetting >:(, any thoughts... ()what()

Any who, good to hear from you

Jack  :satisfied:

M4346

Whoa! Good to see some movement around these parts on the part of the creator!  ;D

Definitely looking forward to these!  :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions

Scarton

simdad1957

Being a physician, Medical/Dental/Nursing and Health Sciences Buildings would certainly be neat to have. This could obviously wait until one of the later expansion packs.  ;D
Go Sens!!

CabraBuitre

Dunno how I missed this... I'm glad to see the Clayhurst expansion moving ahead despite the downturn in the economy...!

Check out Abelfarei!

chibytuga

Quote from: CabraBuitre on August 14, 2009, 09:35:43 PM
I'm glad to see the Clayhurst expansion moving ahead despite the downturn in the economy...!

Well duh, it's stimulus money in action  :thumbsup:

Looking forward to these new buildings. That's going to be a lot of stuff for one expansion pack.

JBSimio

Jack:  Good to see you as well, my friend!  There is already a finished building that I will be using for the engineering school.  There should be pictures on page one or two of this thread somewhere.   :thumbsup:

M:  Thanks!

Citycapitalizer:  Yes... I'm finally starting to get back in the swing of things again.

Simdad:  A medical school and hospital are definitely on the planning boards.  I'm not sure if it will be in the following (second) pack or the third though.

CabraBuitre:  Bah... the economy shouldn't impact Clayhurst much.  The school enjoys a very strong alumni association... many of whom have done extremely well for themselves (like the Maloney family... founders of the Swan Group).  While many of these people's stock portfolios did indeed take a hit during the last couple years, it hardly made them poor.  They're just not quite as rich as they used to be.  :D  The donations continue to pour in nonetheless.

Chibytuga:  It should be a pretty good sized package again, yes.  Although nothing like the 50-some lots that came with the starter pack!

Alright... this update was a little slower than I had hoped.  It also isn't quite as big of an update as I had hoped.  But it is an update no matter how you look at it:

I've managed to sort out the courtyard and put most of the plantings in place.  There is still a bit of fine tuning to do, and I also need to fill in the upper landing with something.  I'm thinking about some kind of sculpture and some benches?  Not sure yet.  After that, I think it's just a matter of finishing off the roof and making the textures.

Til then!
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

Metzger28

Hey JB!

That building reminds me a LOT of a bunch of the buildings where I go to school (Oakland Community College in Auburn Hills, MI). They were all built in the mid-1980s using the recessed windows and exterior walkways like you've modeled there and I think that upper landing leading into the sunken courtyard may be best suited with just benches. That would potentially be a high-traffic area and it would be more realistic to leave it relatively clear. Just a thought - I go to a building like that nearly every day when I'm in school so it's something I see a lot of. It looks really true to the style!

-Tony

Scarton

Looks like this building will be completed soon.