• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The University of Clayhurst

Started by JBSimio, February 17, 2009, 05:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooha47

I'm so excited.  This is an outstanding project and all the models and lots looks great.  It almost makes me want to go back to college.  Almost.  ;)

Thanks for releasing this.
"If you want to have cities, you've got to build roads." - Cake

See all my lots on the STEX
And see my parking lot projects thread here and my mayor mode ploppables thread here

terrydavis44

my anti-virus program will not let me open .said something wrong

Please let me know

[Mod edit. Email address removed for privacy reasons]        Thanks

tamorr

Yay!!! I was wondering about this... The first steps into the main hall of a better University is finally here... Thanks much. :) Patience pays off... ;)
  "It is wiser to think about your actions before doing them, but be warned One must act quickly before another takes action for you."
  "Knowledge may be Power, but it is how you use that Knowledge that makes One Powerful."
  "I am a Philosopher, Punnist, Poet, and Rambler so keep in mind I think ahead and backwards to point where communication is sometimes not completely understood, even if Enlish is my primary language, it doesn't mean I know it well N proper."
  "Always do your best to acheive your goals and Dreams one at a time."
"Patience is a virtue."

Andreas

Quote from: terrydavis44 on October 29, 2009, 03:01:51 PM
my anti-virus program will not let me open .said something wrong

That happens sometimes, for an unknown reason. Most likely, there's some code in the ClickTeam installer that looks similar like a virus or something. Just ignore the warning. :)
Andreas

SC4BOY

Wow.. just made it through your nice doc's on it.. this is a SWEET item.. My one comment wasn't enough.. you and your "consulting team" deserve congrats on a far-reaching and well-integrated "university system"  :)   :thumbsup:

Tilarium

This is pretty awsome!  I've tried to do something like this with various downloaded lots but it just looks like a hodge-hodge of thrown togather lots with the maxis uni in the middle... because it was!  I can't wait for the EPs.  Quick question though, do the walkways and driveways count as road access for the buildings or do I need a real road?

Kyle

woodb3kmaster

Great work, Jon! I take it this is the same set that is on the LEX DVD? Or does it include your newest buildings as well? Either way, it's great that Clayhurst is now available to everyone, no donations required. :thumbsup:

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

dragonshardz

Wow...this week just keeps getting better. Well worth the wait.

jgehrts

I just happened to stumble upon this thread... and boy, am I glad I did.  This stuff looks great, and I've been wanting to add some more to the in-game university since there's just not much to it.  Awesome stuff!

JBSimio

Robin:  Thanks... I'm pretty happy it's finally up there too!  ;)

SC4Boy:  Thank you!  And thank you also for mentioning "my team" as well.  I definitely could not have managed something of this size without a lot of help.

Schulmanator:  Thank you!

Kimcar:  Thanks!  Your LEX comment about a couple months was a touch off though... it's been more like a couple years now!  :D

Jack:  Thank you!  I'm sorry to hear that things have been a little rough lately and I hope they will improve for you soon, my friend.

Battlecat:  Thank you!

Hooha47:  Thanks!  I've had a couple moments when I almost wanted to go back to college too... but this will be enough for me, I think!  ;)

Terrydavis:  As Andreas said, I'm sure you are just getting a false report.  I downloaded the final installers from Andreas with no problems and then downloaded a test from here myself also with no issues.

Tamorr:  Thanks!  I was starting to wonder about it myself... :D

Andreas:  Thank you again for all your help with this and all the education packs!

Kyle:  Thank you!  I also remember making my own campus with whatever landmarks I could find, but I never liked the results.  The paths and driveways do not count as road access so you will need actual streets for any of the functional buildings you choose to place.

Zack:  Thank you!  This first release is what shipped with the DVD yes.  The new buildings will be part of the next expansion pack.

Dragonshardz:  Thank you!

Jgehrts:  Thanks!

As I mentioned earlier, I had really hoped to do this public release a lot sooner.  My original plan had been to make it around Labor Day as a sort of "back to school" type of thing.  Unfortunately, one thing led to another and that just didn't happen.  (I see that it has already passed 200 downloads so thank you all so much!)  Either way... life for me here should get a little easier again and I'm hoping to get back in the swing of things now.  With that in mind... I've nearly finished the Swan Centre for Business Studies:

I'm pretty happy with the day shots.  The only thing I see here that might need some tweaking is the roof texture.  Maybe just a little more noise and smudging or something.  I got a pretty decent start on the lighting as well:

I have a few more adjustments to make here.  There are a couple areas that I'm not quite happy with and one or two lights I forgot (like the sign on the back wall).  For the most part I think it came out pretty well for the first pass.

More to come...
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

gottago

Congratulations on the wonderful university pack, it is excellent work and will be a great pleasure to use!

The Swan Center is a great BAT and very convincingly done. The roof actually has more roofjunk than most buildings of this type, but perhaps you could "stripe" the texture lightly to indicate the joints of overlapping roofing material, to give another layer of visual interest. The intensity of the lamps in the entry court is a bit harsh in the night render, they could be lowered a bit. Otherwise, it's great!

adroman

Wonderful!

Excellent BAT... I downloaded the Pack of the LEX as soon as I could, I can hardly wait for the expansions...

Havva good one.  :thumbsup:
737s, Air Force, Australia... what next?

Bobbi

Wonderful university pack!!! And I want more packs. :)

2010.8.4 - I get on SC4D with PSP. So cool.:D
2010.8.14 - I can get on the Internet at home.:)

Earth quake

benvoliothefirst

Your work continues to astound me. Phenomenal all around. I agree with gottago... the lights around the walkways do seem a bit bright, but I would have to see them against some surrounding buildings to be able to tell... it may just be that the other classroom lights are too dim in comparison.

shermankim777

this is the best ever and im using it right now but i have one problem  ()what() its missing a very basic piece. a wide path corner. hopefully ur reading this and youll add it in later but in the mean time, this is EPIC

kimcar

Quote from: JBSimio on October 30, 2009, 12:20:43 AM

Kimcar:  Thanks!  Your LEX comment about a couple months was a touch off though... it's been more like a couple years now!  :D
JB

:-[Oups you are right my mistake . Time go so fast ;D

dragonshardz

I have a gift for you all...bright, shiny DAMN menus for the U of C! Attached at the bottom. Also included is an icon for the SSPTool based on Stefan97's avatar!

Download removed, some errors were in the DAMN menu. Soon as I get LEX access I'll post the corrected version on it.

Jack_wilds

Hello JBSimio, Jack wilds here...

I like  this bat-model of the business center, its all good.  Particularly the court yard and the landing.  Don't think think that the landing lights are that bright as it probably be dimmer appearing in the game.  Like the trees in the court yard, and the wrap around balcony and the entries with  the window walls. It just looks neat.  Can't really judge the textures though... but I like it  :thumbsup:

A few thoughts though, perhaps there could be a couple of water pooling marks here and there, just a slight off-color area organic in shape... not too many now as your at the point of becoming too much...

or perhaps a couple of signs of life on the roof...

as in Ollie the maintenance man (a U of C fixture -that everyone student body would miss) keeps pigeons up there a well kept secret everyone knows about, as he trains them to dive bomb "favorite" professors...  :D

or communications stuff -as it is a business center communications is a part it,

Then there is placing a name on the building as you mentioned, however I'm wondering what naming-labeling conventions you'll use for the campus.  As some campuses use just letters or number or letters and numbers for the building ID-ing and then the building would be named or not or have an active alumni that loves having things named after them - I claim a Natural resources/agriculture center named after me  :P :,

Then I would like a 'politically-correct free' zone for a large campus wide Christmas Tree sponsored by the student body -I think PEG has a good one.  As when I was on campus our student body bought a Christmas tree and then decorated it and then it was removed as it was 'politically incorrect'...  >:( yet no one complained according to the powers that be.  We showed them how and why it was ok to do so but they held to there politically correct muddy ground.  ???  ::) at any rate we were too busy with semester finals for a battle...  &mmm

...I'm thinking that when you lot this, that the connections for the walks will be installed...  ;)

super stuff JB,

Jack  :satisfied:

SC4BOY

Quote from: shermankim777 on October 30, 2009, 03:07:35 PM
...its missing a very basic piece. a wide path corner...

I'm puzzled by this as there is no place to put a wide path corner that I see.. perhaps you're seing something I'm not.. also recall that these are "BSC Park compatible" .. so feel free to add any of those lots (including a kagillion path pieces)..